shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

I just picked up GG Xrd on Steam and am looking for a character to start learning, I'ved played BB and P4A before so I am fairly competent in air dashers but I'm not too informed on GG characters and this edition of it. 

I'm a big fan of trap characters. Any unique mechanic that creates some sort of interesting zone control or setup. I've always loved watching good Venoms but how about Faust or Bedman? Do they qualify? I played Naoto in P4A which is when I realized how much I love projectiles that control space while not being used for traditional zoning.

I don't know any of the Xrd exclusive characters so I don't know if any of them have any sort of traps.

I also like grapplers so you'd think Potemkin would be a natural fit but is he really all that fun? I loved Kanji and Tager but what does Potemkin do that makes him unique?

I'm gonna keep looking for more info on these guys but I'd love some feedback on what are ideal characters that fit my preferences while not being too overwhelming to start out with.

Hello, just got Xrd for PC, never played a Guilty before.  I'm bad at combos so please recommend me a character that doesn't have hard combos, or can be effective without difficult combos :)  In particular I'm bad at exact frame timings, and also combos that require a lot of fast inputs (like dash cancel into special attack.)   Generally I prefer fast or medium poking characters, rather than slow grapplers.

For examples of characters I play in other games, in BBCT I can do Taokaka's drive loop, and I enjoyed her gameplay. Tao in later BBs became too hard :(

In Melty I like W-Arc, her BnBs do decent damage and are all simple ABC ABC ABC style combos.

In KOF98 I used to play characters with good pokes like Kensou and Ralf.  3rd Strike, Chun Li.

------------

Also, I can't find any rooms or ranked matches.  Is noone playing, or do I need to check my network settings?  Do I need to forward any ports or something?

3 hours ago, zeech said:

Hello, just got Xrd for PC, never played a Guilty before.  I'm bad at combos so please recommend me a character that doesn't have hard combos, or can be effective without difficult combos :)  In particular I'm bad at exact frame timings, and also combos that require a lot of fast inputs (like dash cancel into special attack.)   Generally I prefer fast or medium poking characters, rather than slow grapplers.

For examples of characters I play in other games, in BBCT I can do Taokaka's drive loop, and I enjoyed her gameplay. Tao in later BBs became too hard :(

In Melty I like W-Arc, her BnBs do decent damage and are all simple ABC ABC ABC style combos.

In KOF98 I used to play characters with good pokes like Kensou and Ralf.  3rd Strike, Chun Li.

------------

Also, I can't find any rooms or ranked matches.  Is noone playing, or do I need to check my network settings?  Do I need to forward any ports or something?

So you like simple characters with good damage and normals. I think you could like Sol, Ky, Slayer, Elphelt and May. Millia is simple in her combos but her range isn't exactly good.

1 hour ago, heavymetalmixer said:

So you like simple characters with good damage and normals. I think you could like Sol, Ky, Slayer, Elphelt and May. Millia is simple in her combos but her range isn't exactly good.

Thanks, I'll give them a try!  Elphelt, and Sol seem like characters I might like :)

On 10/12/2015, 10:56:56, PANDEMlC said:

I just picked up GG Xrd on Steam and am looking for a character to start learning, I'ved played BB and P4A before so I am fairly competent in air dashers but I'm not too informed on GG characters and this edition of it. 

I'm a big fan of trap characters. Any unique mechanic that creates some sort of interesting zone control or setup. I've always loved watching good Venoms but how about Faust or Bedman? Do they qualify? I played Naoto in P4A which is when I realized how much I love projectiles that control space while not being used for traditional zoning.

I don't know any of the Xrd exclusive characters so I don't know if any of them have any sort of traps.

I also like grapplers so you'd think Potemkin would be a natural fit but is he really all that fun? I loved Kanji and Tager but what does Potemkin do that makes him unique?

I'm gonna keep looking for more info on these guys but I'd love some feedback on what are ideal characters that fit my preferences while not being too overwhelming to start out with.

Bedman leaves copies of his specials on the stage when he uses them and they can be activated while he does something else, so he's pretty much a trap character.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but so far Ram feels like a rushdown setup character, rather than the token final boss zoner girl(I miss you Dizzy :'( ).

Potemkin has a damageless special that trips the opponent, with infinite distance, an armored dash special, a really fast short range projectile that turns back other projectiles, all of Tager's/Kanji's throw options, with the added bonus of comboing off of it in the corner, and last but not least, he can combo into his throw super.

Hey I'm looking to get in GG, and I'm trying to decide between Venom and Ky. I like their versatility and tools, but I want to know where they mainly get their damage from in the long run. I'm not referring to the situations where they get the highest damage. I want to know where they get most of their hits and conversions from whether that be neutral, mixups, etc.

Hi, picked up xrd and looking for a fitting main, played Ciel all throughout melty and rose in sf series, would like some fast character with solid midrange game! So far played millia, but she feels too one dimensional for me

22 minutes ago, Artolicious said:

Hi, picked up xrd and looking for a fitting main, played Ciel all throughout melty and rose in sf series, would like some fast character with solid midrange game! So far played millia, but she feels too one dimensional for me

The only fast characters in this game are Millia and Chip, but given that you use Ciel (that isn't a fast character) maybe Elphelt or Ramlethal would be good for you (tools for every situation).

2 hours ago, heavymetalmixer said:

The only fast characters in this game are Millia and Chip, but given that you use Ciel (that isn't a fast character) maybe Elphelt or Ramlethal would be good for you (tools for every situation).

actually ive been playing sin now and its dope as hell, so ill stick with him for a while ^^

Hey dudes, getting back into anime fighters after not playing them for a while due to mainly other fighters (MKX). I wanted to come back mainly because I feel like MKX doesn't stimulate me completely. Don't get me wrong, I'll still play the game and practice it mainly, but I feel that there isn't much left to learn in that game aside from matchups and frames, so I wanted to really get my ass kicked and keep my mind fresh with some good ole anime fighters. So, first things first. All MKXness aside (armoured reversals and the like), I'm looking for a character in GGXXAC+R/GGXRD(Revelator related preferably, but I still know that it is in development) firstly, then I'll look into characters for, BBCPE (Soon to be CF) and maybe UNIEL (with the update coming, might be a good time to invest some time in it). These are just the anime games I have, I'll be investing most of my time into +R and Xrd, but I'll also dabble in the other games. I do have P4AU, but not the drive to play it, so there's the answer for that.

So without further ado, the aspects I desire from a character.

I like advancing strings (or buttons) that lead into pressure, but with semi long range (not Dhalsim long, more like sword in hand long). I like playing with my opponent at arms length to me but having the option of going in when it's crunch time. I like that explosive ability of flicking the on switch and just going in from playing defensively for most of the match. Damage is of no concern, but honestly, if I can win the round faster, that'd be nice. Execution doesn't matter to me, I'll learn it, eventually, it'd just require more practice than a lower execution character. A good anti-air is crucial, doesn't have to lead into tons-o-damage, but I don't want to be a sitting duck when my opponent jumps at me. With that being said, defense is very important to me, I like being able to sit on an egg when I need to (not that anime fighters are usually like this though) but just in case. Aesthetics are also a must, mind you I like the look of most anime game rosters, so I should be fine. Oh, I looooove footsies, if I can get into a spacing war (as mentioned above) I want to win. With that, I do prefer being a tad on the speedier side, like if I'm 1 above halfway on the "speedy scale" it's better than being halfway, maneuverability is key when trying to get that opening on your opponent!

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, hopefully that gives a good enough detailed list for a character fit. 

Ky seems like a good choice for you.

Unless you hate blonde pretty-boys.

1 minute ago, ChexGuy said:

I'm fine with that, lol XD, thanks! Any ideas for UNIEL or BBCP/CF?

BB, it sounds like Jin, honestly.  Excellent mid range normals, good footsies, good anti air...

8 hours ago, DJ_Blactricity said:

I would suggest Ragna over Jin, but try both. You should try Izayoi as well though.

I feel like Ragna doesn't really have the "option" of going in - he NEEDS to go in.  Jin has better options for playing at arm's length.

On 1/7/2016 at 5:29 PM, ChexGuy said:

I'm assuming you mean for both Xrd and GGXXAC+R? (Sorry for not clarifying earlier)

for xrd, sol would fit your description better than ky, especially in the speed department

for +r, testament's a better choice if you actually want to win

Pretty new to Xrd so trying to get ideas for who I should play. I prefer to play neutral heavy and like high damage punishes. I used to play Potemkin in AC but don't really like him in this game. Any ideas to point me in the right direction?

On 2/23/2010 at 4:17 PM, Obsessed said:

Don't let tiers effect your decision. Also you don't have to settle for one character. Just play whoever you like, like Kaqn does.

Kaqn? You mean that amazing Ragna player in those tournaments I've seen on youtube? Is he/she a member on this website?

On 2/23/2010 at 7:23 PM, Tari said:

Was wondering about that CT v CS thing, myself. If it's CT, though....

If you like...

• Ridiculously fast overheads
  • Incredibly safe mixup options (arguably only with a pumpkin out) and lengthy pressure strings
  • Being able to combo into super from nearly anything
  • The ability to come back from a losing game and win in a single combo (100 meter 9k combo from 5a)
  • Zoning most characters
  • Multi-tasking (wind meter, frog/pumpkin/pole placement)
  • Gothloli vampires
  • Awesome and snobbish fat cats

...:RA:.

I think Rachel's a boy so is Platinum.

On 12/13/2010 at 3:26 PM, Lumination said:

Not to offend you or anything, but don't expect to hit high-level play for a long, long time. So, picking an easy character for such an environment is pretty moot. Also, there isn't much meaning to "instinctive play". You try to read and react to opponents, not do things on instinct. So, whoever told you that is pretty stupid.

I play instinctively. I can't read my opponents moves too well u_u;. Ragna is my main on CT and I played PvP for a while. I was around lvl 40-50ish. My sub was Haku-men who I like playing with as well and Jin too but eh...Jin is Jin. I like rushing more than far-range attacking.

On 1/21/2016 at 3:57 PM, theonlypie314 said:

I really like Byakuya in UNIEL. I have no idea who the closest character in BBCPEX is though. Any recommendations?

What is UNIEL?