shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Ky would work. You don't even need FRC CSE; it's not really that valuable. If you're content with playing him at a mediocre level, Ky doesn't need any of his FRCs.

I have to disagree. Ky has almost, if not, the most FRC's of any character (if you include his variations), and he needs atleast half to be anywhere playable. Also his damage off random hits and combo length aren't that great....

I have to disagree. Ky has almost, if not, the most FRC's of any character (if you include his variations), and he needs atleast half to be anywhere playable. Also his damage off random hits and combo length aren't that great....

Yes, he has a lot of FRCs, but you don't need them to play him at a crappy level and still do fancy looking combos. Which is what the OP was looking for, although Testament and ABA are better choices.

I think that you can get to a semi decent level with only the Stun dipper FRC. Of course, it's better if you master them all, but stun dipper FRC is the absolute minimum requirement to play at competitive level, since he's barely playable without it. The stun dipper is so critical to his game that you won't improve by much even if you learn all the rest of his FRCs and master all the FRC combos.

IMO, the order of importance for the FRCs is:

S++: Stun Dipper

A: SE, Air SE, Throw

B: LJ, CSE

D: Air CSE

F-: Sacred Edge

I-Know

ABA has

Normal Mode Overhead Kick FRC, Fireball FRC, Dash FRC, Rekkas FRC, Arm Explosion Super FRC

Moroha Mode 2H FRC, Rekkas FRC, Orbs FRC

Goku Moroha Mode 2H FRC, Rekkas FRC, Orbs Unblockable FRC

Which is 12 off the top of my head.

ABA has

Normal Mode Overhead Kick FRC, Fireball FRC, Dash FRC, Rekkas FRC, Arm Explosion Super FRC

Moroha Mode 2H FRC, Rekkas FRC, Orbs FRC

Goku Moroha Mode 2H FRC, Rekkas FRC, Orbs Unblockable FRC

Which is 12 off the top of my head.

According to FD, she actually has like... 18.

Are all of those FRC's required just to play her at low level play? If so, then I would think that SL/TE would be better choices for T9S1N...

According to FD, she actually has like... 18.

Are all of those FRC's required just to play her at low level play? If so, then I would think that SL/TE would be better choices for T9S1N...

Probably not, but I'd say the Rekkas FRC is important (so 2 if you count normal mode and moroha mode as different ones) at low level, which to me seems easier than most FRCs because you have more time before you need to press three buttons than a projectile FRC...

I didn't start playing Guilty Gear until a little while ago, just thought I'd provide my perspective since I'm newer to GG.

Actually, Orb and Rekkas FRCs mostly happen in competitive matches (which mean the must-know FRCs ). But 2H and her normal overhead is good to know, too.

Ky's frequently used FRCs are dipper for throw mixup/escape and stun edge/air stun edge to continue pressure,depending on playstyles.But personally I think CSE FRC is the most important tech for Ky players, especially those who like being a corner rush whore.

Okay so I've always wanted to get into GG. But never did. I wish I had. I started playing FGs with BB last year, but REALLY wanna go back and try it's (seemingly, better...) predecessor.

But I currently don't have a copy for the PS2, so I can't mess around with it to find a character I like. Out of mostly curiosity, suggestions as to who to try out when I get it would be lovely. If it helps, I play Mu and Lamba in BB, and Catherine and Akane in AH3. I'm big a fan of oki setups and zoning styles. More or less, I just like having a lot of setup options and mind games.

You might like: Dizzy, Ky, Venom, Millia, Testament.

Venom and Millia are rather difficult to start out with (charge motions, no reversals, low health, tough neutral game), but Venom is similar to Mu-12 in playstyle. He can zone with balls and keep the opponent in the corner for a long time, while increasing their guard gauge (fills up as you block, if it fills up all the way and you get hit, you get CH and take more damage), and has tons of setups. Millia isn't really about zoning, but she's extremely fast and her oki is some of the best in the game (lol unreactable mixups...). Dizzy and Ky are pretty easy to pick up and they have both those things. Dizzy has some harder situational combos and one FRC that's a bitch and Ky has loldamage but they aren't that difficult overall. And Testament is pretty EZ-mode, S-Tier, and really good at all the things you listed.

(This is imo, I'm still scrub at GG)

Yeah, from the videos I've been watching and from messing around on the PSP version I was definitely very interested in Venom. (Of course, not much can be gathered on that thing...lol PSP d-pad.) Corner lockdown is another thing I like, so thats definitely a plus. I also don't mind charge motions so thats not too much of a problem. Millia was another one I was looking at, although she didn't strike me as much as Venom did. And I'm also not too worried about difficulty barriers. I'm up for the extra effort to put into a character if I like them. n_n

Dizzy was the other one I was interested in, seeing as Mu was supposed to be her BB counterpart mostly. I probably will try Venom, Dizzy then Millia whenever I am able get this. Thanks very much for the suggestions, Zeromus. :3

You might like: Dizzy, Ky, Venom, Millia, Testament.

Venom and Millia are rather difficult to start out with (charge motions, no reversals, low health, tough neutral game), but Venom is similar to Mu-12 in playstyle. He can zone with balls and keep the opponent in the corner for a long time, while increasing their guard gauge (fills up as you block, if it fills up all the way and you get hit, you get CH and take more damage), and has tons of setups. Millia isn't really about zoning, but she's extremely fast and her oki is some of the best in the game (lol unreactable mixups...). Dizzy and Ky are pretty easy to pick up and they have both those things. Dizzy has some harder situational combos and one FRC that's a bitch and Ky has loldamage but they aren't that difficult overall. And Testament is pretty EZ-mode, S-Tier, and really good at all the things you listed.

(This is imo, I'm still scrub at GG)

Let me clear a few things up here :3 :

Millia has low health (1.21), but Venom has slightly below-average health (1.06, along with like half the cast, you don't really need to worry about that lol). IMO, they're not hard to start out with, but not easy either... and I wouldn't say Dizzy has harder situational combos or FRC's than Ky... But, that's just my opinion..

Dizzy has a fantastic zoning game! She has a double-air-dash, can have up to 3 (or was it 4?) things on the screen at once, alot of cross-ups that lead to great damage, lots of mix-ups/guessing games -- and if played right, she can keep the opponent back for a very long time. I would recommend Ky, but he has low damage output, way too meter reliant... but both Ky and Dizzy are hard to win with -- even if you become competent with them; while Millia and Venom are better characters, and once you become very good with them, they will be very hard to beat; and they have alot less bad match ups than Dizzy and Ky... Testament is also a good choice if you like zoning and setting up things.

Just my opinion :3.

EDIT: Ah! I forgot to say that Dizzy has a defense modifier of 1.15, and both Venom & Dizzy has a guts rating of 1 (which is pretty low), so that means you will take more damage during the entire round than other characters with the same health, but with a higher guts rating.

tl;dr, guts rating=different levels of damage scaling.

Edited by Ky-Sama

Was wondering about that CT v CS thing, myself. If it's CT, though....

If you like...

• Ridiculously fast overheads
  • Incredibly safe mixup options (arguably only with a pumpkin out) and lengthy pressure strings
  • Being able to combo into super from nearly anything
  • The ability to come back from a losing game and win in a single combo (100 meter 9k combo from 5a)
  • Zoning most characters
  • Multi-tasking (wind meter, frog/pumpkin/pole placement)
  • Gothloli vampires
  • Awesome and snobbish fat cats

...:RA:.

you forgot gay for the cat

I need help picking a new main, i dont know the fully roster but looking for a character that places really lame, turtling, who fustrates the oponent. like a guile or dhalsim in street fighter terms.

BDW this is for BlazBlue CS

Edited by GreedO

I need help picking a new main, i dont know the fully roster but looking for a character that places really lame, turtling, who fustrates the oponent. like a guile or dhalsim in street fighter terms.

BDW this is for BlazBlue CS

Valkenhyn. If you don't want to buy DLC then Arakune and Hazama are your best choices... but Valkenhyn is ridiculous to deal with.

What would be a good character to play mind games with? Someone to really mess with an opponents head?
all of them? your criteria is a bit too general, everyone is capable of that in their own way.

What characters would you recommend then? I'm bad with choices...

So let me get this straight:

MrNick2D: Help me pick a character. I want one that has mindgames!

Eshi: That's not enough of a criteria, everyone has mindgames.

MrNick2D: Okay, so forget that and just help me pick a character.

Unless you can give us some actual feedback, I'm going to say:

Either pick someone you think looks cool, or play Rachel. :P

Who is the easiest character to learn? I can't do anything with Rachel. :(

Word on the street is that Ragna is the easiest character to learn. I wouldn't know, but that seems to be the popular consensus. He is, however, one of the least mindgamey characters in the game. ;)

Who is the easiest character to learn? I can't do anything with Rachel. :(

Word is Ragna's the easiest.

Rachel does take a LOT of practice.