shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

That breaks my heart. Seriously, The Tauntloop was Ghetto.

Also, OP, Pick a main you like fast, before you get to a certain Skill level.

Or you end up like me.

Who I play online, To an Above average level with about 300/400+ Plays.

Makoto, Hazama, Tager, Jin, Valkenhayn, Bang, Hakumen, Noel, Purachina, Ragna, Mu-12.

I know all of their moves off my heart, I know all the Basic BNB's. But I'm just average with them all (Bar Haku + Mak + Haz) I still get bodied. Pick someone you love playing with, and stick with them, I got pissed off losing, and blamed my character (Haku) for my losses, and went to Bang in CS1, Messed up my play, swithcing back and forth. It's never the characters fault, It your own.

Wish I knew that then, But then again I think "Fuck it, Im a well of info on Blazblue"

/Blog

It's never the characters fault, It your own.

Technically, if you picked Tsubaki or Rachel in CS1, it kinda WAS the character's fault. ;) But yeah, CS2-wise, there's really no character who will hold you back in a meaningful way until you reach a tournament level of play. And even THEN, Tager can score a lot of wins if you're smarter than your opponent.

On a good Net connection, Below Tournament level. Tager is incredibly Viable.

CS2's Balancing is brilliant, Sure, Needs a couple of tweaks, But I'm impressed, No character is "Horribly" OP'd now, So people have stopped getting Salty, and the world is now a better place

CS2's Balancing is brilliant, Sure, Needs a couple of tweaks, But I'm impressed, No character is "Horribly" OP'd now, So people have stopped getting Salty, and the world is now a better place

I agree with this except for the "People have stopped getting Salty" thing - seems like they've gone from being salty about the top tier to being salty about everyone. ;)

Don't mean to generalize, But fucking Netplay Ragna's.

(5B) > 6A > j.C > j.D > j.C > j.214C > 5D MIDSCREEN. Then they whine and bitch about how many nerfs Ragna got and how my Hazama is broken and OP'd and how Jayoku is Broken and how im broken and AAAAGH.

Although, I'm glad some people have dropped Ragna and picked up someone new. Im seeing some mad Valkenhayn players and surprisingly a LOT more Tsubaki players.

Technically, if you picked Tsubaki or Rachel in CS1, it kinda WAS the character's fault. ;) But yeah, CS2-wise, there's really no character who will hold you back in a meaningful way until you reach a tournament level of play. And even THEN, Tager can score a lot of wins if you're smarter than your opponent.

Yeah, I was even doing this against a similarly levelled Carl. He trashed me in the first game, then I proceeded to school him in the ways of "I only need two good hits on you in order to win".

Although, I'm glad some people have dropped Ragna and picked up someone new. Im seeing some mad Valkenhayn players and surprisingly a LOT more Tsubaki players.

This is because Tsubaki is awesome and her learning curve isn't terrible, and now that she's not really bad, everyone's Valkyrie-Angel-girl love is coming out. :P

Online, I see way more of Hazama than I'd like. Lots of Jin, which doesn't really bother me. A good bunch of Tager. Very few Valk/Arakune/Tao/Rachel, and a moderate number of everyone else. Really, really wish I saw less of Hazama. He's just annoying.

I dunno, I always figured "difficulty of learning curve" was something that was subjective to your own playstyle. And with Hazama, he's actually not that bad when you figure out what he's doing.

I was wondering to what extent is the difficulty of carl?

i've heard he is very difficult to control because you have to control the puppet thing to but i'm wondering for someone entirely new to blazblue if it will be Extremely difficult.

Difficulty is totally subjective. For example Mu's combos and setups are natural for me. Her corner 6C fatal is something I can do 9 out of 10 times. I know it's not easy, but I feel comfortable with the way you execute things with her so it feels easy to me.

However, I'm TOTALLY uncomfortable with rushdown characters like Makoto or Noel, and can't wrap my brain around them. Also, even though I know Ragna is supposed to be easy, I find his execution strange/hard....but not because it really IS hard but because it's out of my comfort zone.

...hopefully that made some sense lol.

But to me it's exactly this reason that you should always play the character you feel comfortable with and that you enjoy, and not pick someome just because you think they will be easy, or to avoid someone because you think they're too hard.

This is because Tsubaki is awesome and her learning curve isn't terrible, and now that she's not really bad, everyone's Valkyrie-Angel-girl love is coming out. :P

Online, I see way more of Hazama than I'd like. Lots of Jin, which doesn't really bother me. A good bunch of Tager. Very few Valk/Arakune/Tao/Rachel, and a moderate number of everyone else. Really, really wish I saw less of Hazama. He's just annoying.

XBL? Because I rarely ever see any Hazamas on PSN. I see far too many Jins. Less Ragnas but still a lot. Lots of Tagers and everyone else a lesser percentage. I see more Carls online than I see Taos. And that's a good thing because Tao is the most annoying character in BB. If you think Hazama is annoying, then you've never fought a good/bad Tao.

Yea im split between tao and carl and im gonna take what seems to be a plunge and learn carl anyway thanks for the advice. I just love his mixup options to much not to play himm.

Difficulty is totally subjective. For example Mu's combos and setups are natural for me. Her corner 6C fatal is something I can do 9 out of 10 times. I know it's not easy, but I feel comfortable with the way you execute things with her so it feels easy to me.

However, I'm TOTALLY uncomfortable with rushdown characters like Makoto or Noel, and can't wrap my brain around them. Also, even though I know Ragna is supposed to be easy, I find his execution strange/hard....but not because it really IS hard but because it's out of my comfort zone.

...hopefully that made some sense lol.

But to me it's exactly this reason that you should always play the character you feel comfortable with and that you enjoy, and not pick someome just because you think they will be easy, or to avoid someone because you think they're too hard.

Yeah, I get that with Mu. I remember pulling some 5k corner combo out of my arse with no prior training mode by just doing basic relaunch into a finisher, and then noticing I had the time to tack 632146C onto the end (Damn that move has nasty minimum damage). But then I think Mu was given deliberately simple combo paths because the art of the character is turning neutral into advantage from anywhere and it means it's easier to make new impromptu combos on the fly. Rushdown characters require a certain amount of study beforehand because there's a world of difference between a watertight and safe blockstring and just flailing wildly against your opponent's guard. Something I've never got the hang of.

Edited by Manta

Dash Cancels screw me over all time. It's just something im not good at. Some find it east, I just dont.

EG Ragnas : 6C > 66 > Deadospaiku > 66 > Whatever the hell goes into Belial edge from here.

Hence Mu + Makoto.

ok, I decided to pick a new chr after playing litchi for a looong time. Im looking for the most rewarding char possible, i dont mind working hard if after some time I can get really good with him/her. I was thinking carl, but i dont like his mobility that much, who would you recommend? maybe Mu? or should I wait to see how Relius plays?

Mu

Rachel

Arakune

I'm learning Mu now, It's taken me 3 Weeks to get the Basics, Takes a while, But when you play right, Your opponent really doesn't have many options. Same goes for any of those 3 really.

ok, I decided to pick a new chr after playing litchi for a looong time. Im looking for the most rewarding char possible, i dont mind working hard if after some time I can get really good with him/her. I was thinking carl, but i dont like his mobility that much, who would you recommend? maybe Mu? or should I wait to see how Relius plays?

Someone with good reward? Hazama I guess. Make your opponent burst in any combo you land. lol

This; Some people just synergize with different playstyles better than others.

But not this. There's playstyle, and then there's execution threshhold. Some things are, in fact, objectively harder. (Note: I don't know if Carl is actually one of those things.)

XBL? Because I rarely ever see any Hazamas on PSN.

Yeah. XBL is FLUSH with Hazamas. Can't throw a rock without hitting one.

Tao is.... I dunno. I don't get annoyed by Tao. Even really good Taos, I feel like they're really earning their wins. The characters who piss me off are Hazama (Lala, ohhhhh, CH 3C? That will be 5k whatever please. Sorry, but IMHO that's too much for a move with the risk/reward that one has, especially considering it doesn't require corner positioning, meter, or ANYTHING.) and Noel (4k from WTFEver with random invulnerability, yay!). Even Arakune doesn't bother me the way they do.

Edited by Airk

mmm maybe I didnt express myself very well, by rewarding I meant, for ex: in MvC3 I main Viper and in AE makoto, so they are really hard to learn but once you do, their mixups becomes impossible to predict, so thats what Im looking for.

Well, here's the thing. This game is BALANCED. :P

Seriously though, you're going to find several different ways that question could be answered:

Litchi is highly rewarding because of her strong mixup games and powerful oki.

Makoto is highly rewarding because excellent execution can lead to impossible damage.

Carl is highly rewarding because mastering his resets will make you a monster.

Hakumen is highly rewarding because if you can get in your opponent's head with counters, you become utterly unstoppable.

Mu is highly rewarding because a strong grasp of how all her projectiles can interact can lead to things seen nowhere else in fighting games.

Rachel is highly rewarding because really mastering her wind mechanics lets you do crazy combos and mixups.

Jin is highly rewarding because his basic mixup is terrible, but he has the tools for all kinds of nonstandard mixup mindgames.

Tsubaki is highly rewarding because if you master the balancing act of both getting and using charges, you can leave people wondering how you can possibly be all over them like that.

Lambda is highly rewarding because if you understand her spacing, your opponent won't even ever get a chance to try to hit you.

I could go on. But the gist is: This game is full of rewarding characters. The closet thing I think it has to an "un-rewarding" character is Noel, because while she has some strong setups and some sneaky tricks, the majority of her power comes from stupid gambling drive moves that apparently a trained monkey can do with proper Pavlovian conditioning. :P Even Ragna has pretty good depth of options when you start factoring in his 22C oki setups and blood kain.

You'll probably have better luck looking for a character whose playstyle matches what you enjoy than by trying to narrow it down to "deep, rewarding characters", because that doesn't narrow the field much at all.

ok, lets narrow this then.

A character who has really good mixups (almost impossible to block on reaction) and has good mobility (which is why i dont like carl btw)

Litchi or Rachel would be my guess. Probably Rachel. One of the fastest overheads in the game with winded j.A, "invisible" mixup behind Tempest Dahlia, high mobility with wind. That's probably as close as you're going to get to mixup that is 'impossible to block on reaction' - BB mostly doesn't have that. You need mindgames with your mixup here.