shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Pick Hazama. I could go into detail why, But he is consistent, Fun, Flasy, Trollicous, and fun (Again)

Hey, I've played this game for a while, but only casually, and I'm still pretty bad anyway. I never bothered to make an account here before.

Anyways, I might want to find myself a new main. I'm into the characters that are slow, but have a lot of power and range. Obviously that means I'm playing Hakumen atm, but I don't really like him that much as a character, which is a little important to me. Does anyone else fit that same archetype as Hakumanz? Everyone else seems to be either a speedy rushdown type, a projectile zoner, or Tager (not into grapplers.) I particularly like to play as female characters, but I'm not against playing male characters.

You might consider Litchi - with staff, she's definitely longer ranged than the non-zoners, and a little on the sluggish side. Still, that's only half the character. Otherwise though, most of the cast is, as you have observed, not really what you're looking for. It's a curious niche to be so undeveloped, though thinking about it, I bet Relius in CSE will fit in there.

Hey, I've played this game for a while, but only casually, and I'm still pretty bad anyway. I never bothered to make an account here before.

Anyways, I might want to find myself a new main. I'm into the characters that are slow, but have a lot of power and range. Obviously that means I'm playing Hakumen atm, but I don't really like him that much as a character, which is a little important to me. Does anyone else fit that same archetype as Hakumanz? Everyone else seems to be either a speedy rushdown type, a projectile zoner, or Tager (not into grapplers.) I particularly like to play as female characters, but I'm not against playing male characters.

Sorry for the late response.

Valkenhayn's human form seems to fit the bill here. His attacks cover a large portion of the screen, hit hard, and almost every properly confirmed hit leads into a good combo. The problem is that he's very reliant on his speedier, low defense wolf form, so he doesn't completely fit into what you're looking for. If you don't have him downloaded, see if you have a friend or someone in your local scene who has him downloaded and will let you give him a shot.

wut? no mario is a term to refer to a "average" at everything character, jack is another term.

wouldn't the Ryu be a better term though...or the Ky perhaps...XD?

LOL I simply change mind about what char to main every five minutes :D

I picked this game twenty days ago, I quit Lambda for Jin, then quit Jin for Lambda again, now I think Jin is not bad at all, but I'd like to use Carl, then I see a video of Kaqn using Ragna and want to use him, then I try Litchi in challenge mode and want to play her... the fact is I like this game TOO MUCH to choose a single char, I can't decide myself. You say to pick a char that makes things you like to do in a match, but I simply like to do all the things chars in this game can do.

Also, I'm in the mood of playing Guilty Gear with Anji Mito, but here where I live there is no GG scene, so I'd like to use a BB char that has a similar play style to Anji but I don't think he exist... Probably Litchi is the more similar? Help :D

I picked this game twenty days ago, I quit Lambda for Jin, then quit Jin for Lambda again, now I think Jin is not bad at all, but I'd like to use Carl, then I see a video of Kaqn using Ragna and want to use him, then I try Litchi in challenge mode and want to play her... the fact is I like this game TOO MUCH to choose a single char, I can't decide myself. You say to pick a char that makes things you like to do in a match, but I simply like to do all the things chars in this game can do.

Also, I'm in the mood of playing Guilty Gear with Anji Mito, but here where I live there is no GG scene, so I'd like to use a BB char that has a similar play style to Anji but I don't think he exist... Probably Litchi is the more similar? Help :D

Bang

Strong okizeme, guard points

Ciao

Are you me?

I felt the same way, Now I main Bang and Mu. Both characters (Especially Mu) Have a multitude of playstyles you can change on the fly. And they compliment eachothers bad matchups really well IMO.

Just a thought, what archetype for these games does Arakune fit into exactly? I've been playing him for about 2 years and he seems to be the least played character in the entire game.

Just a thought, what archetype for these games does Arakune fit into exactly? I've been playing him for about 2 years and he seems to be the least played character in the entire game.

Bullet hell

Solitaire.

What would be a a good character that can change up how they play on the fly? I was playing Tsubaki, however I 'm a little too predictable.(My fault not hers)

Jin can adapt to a variety of playstyles... dunno who else.

But as far as predictability goes, just figure out more things to do with the character you're currently playing, rather than picking up someone new.

Lambda or Rachel can both switch back and forth between 'space control' and rushdown. But Delrian is probably right - you're probably better off working on being more versatile with the character you know than trying to pick up a new one in the hopes that they'll somehow "teach" you to be more varied.

I'm looking to pick up BB as an aside (GG forever!) and I'm looking for a character similar in play style to Axl. Is there any character with simple to execute combos, good midrange play and good anti-air? I'm not afraid of having chicken blocking and DAA be my only good defensive options.

Hmm, so I'm wondering what to main too.

In Soul Calibur, my favorites are Talim and Nightmare.

In Guilty Gear, its Dizzy, Slayer and ZAPPA.

What character(s) in BBCSX get closest to all of those?

Talim = Makoto?

Nightmare = Hakumen?

Dizzy = Mu 12?

Slayer = Valkenhayn?

Zappa = ?.. Relius? Carl?

Hmm, so I'm wondering what to main too.

In Soul Calibur, my favorites are Talim and Nightmare.

In Guilty Gear, its Dizzy, Slayer and ZAPPA.

What character(s) in BBCSX get closest to all of those?

Talim = Makoto?

Nightmare = Hakumen?

Dizzy = Mu 12?

Slayer = Valkenhayn?

Zappa = ?.. Relius? Carl?

zappa would probably be plat because of the items and specific kind of play per item

This is a common mistake people make when switching to a new game, looking for a character similar to what they're used to. It's better to adjust to the system accordingly and see how different match ups work so you can pick someone to properly suit your needs.

SC and BB play way too differently to compare characters like Talim and Nightmare to Makoto and Hakumen. Then again, I don't play a lot of SC anymore.

Dizzy and Mu are really similar though. Zappa doesn't really have a BB counterpart, although Carl and Relius are great characters and lots of fun if you can get used to their unique movesets.

Seeing as you have a Hazama avatar I say you should go with him. He's kind of like a zoning/mobility heavy Slayer, imo. Since you already have a good understanding of 2D fighters (you play Guilty Gear) then a character with Hazama's execution and movement shouldn't take too long to get used to. Valkenhayn is also influenced by Slayer with more traditional rushdown but I like Hazama more. Have fun :v:

As someone that is a SC player (not great, but "ok"), there is really no way to compare any character in BB to any SC character.

Nightmare, is...well...way to slow to compare to fighters in most other games.

I honestly never got into GG that much, but GG to BB is probably at least "semi-reasonable".

Honestly, like others have said, just pick someone you like and learn them. It's probably easiest that way.

Edited by godofrawr

I like frame and tech traps :3 which chars have strong trap options? (other than tager)

Either Mu or Rachel. Both have strong wakeup game/okizeme. They're good at setting up traps for the opponent to deal with.

You know, I enjoy Mu and loved Tsubaki's style as well, but I think I still enjoy playing AH3's Fiona Mayfield the most, but playing Hakumen just doesn't match up to playing her. And if there is ever a character like her in Blaz I would probably leave whoever I'm playing now for her.

It's really hard to describe what I like about Fiona as a character style wise, but yeah...