shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Personally I think Jam is closer to Tsubaki than Order Sol is but maybe that's just me.

This is my point! This!

Just because a character has a gauge they fill up does not make them similar to another character! How that character executes their attack plan, how their normals work, what their specials do, etc, are all far more important that "Oh, this character has a gauge that can power up their special moves, obviously they are similar!"

I can stomach Mcgreag post, but your 1st post is just being a dickhead Airk, if Mcgreag can also post why Jam resemble Tsubaki more that would be even more helpful ... since imo Makoto would fit Jam better and NOT BECAUSE THEY BOTH CAN PARRY -> frame trapping and Corner Carry

and why i think OS ressemble Tsubaki most :

1. decent neutralling that got beat by stuff

2. Amazing situational AA (Tsubaki 2c, OS 5hs)

3. half assed DP

4. Tsubaki once can cut negative SD with CC, dunno how her charge works at CP

5. Convert Charge into Damage

6. booth can do iad combos thought how they work on it nowhere near simillar >.>

now Proceed why u think Potemkin resemble Tsubaki the most...

now Proceed why u think Potemkin resemble Tsubaki the most...

That wasn't his point (though you seem to understand his point based on the rest of your post). He's saying that -if- Potemkin had a charge bar, he still would play nothing like Tsubaki (as they clearly aren't similar at all).

It's just sarcasm, i already understand... but he think there's someone who play much more closer to Tsubaki... so who? ... speak solution not just random bash like a dickhead :v:

It's just sarcasm, i already understand... but he think there's someone who play much more closer to Tsubaki... so who? ... speak solution not just random bash like a dickhead :v:

Actually, Mr. I-Throw-Insults around, I have been more polite than you, thus far. Remember: If you are being sarcastic, you are probably also being an ass.

Regardless, I don't -play- Guilty Gear. I had someone give me a demo of Order Sol once, and all I could think was "This character plays nothing like Tsubaki." I'm just tired of hearing people trot out a dumb line about how they're obviously alike because they need charges for stuff.

Even better ... u didn't even play both game but already can feel sick of some random people comparing Tsubaki & OS how? ... and on which part do i say they're the same because of the charge gauge? :vbang: ... and i'm not saying Tsubaki is crippled form of OS out of no where... i'm talking about Damage output and match up statistic. OS and Tsubaki isn't the best character and even once OS was in rock bottom tier when he 1st released, but playing his match up're less stressfull than Tsubaki matchup, He even have good match up against some of the top tier, i'm definitely not the best player around about Tsubaki and OS, but i do main OS and Tsubaki at CS1 & 2 and they do share the same gameplan and ass Normal.

Edited by excelence

Do you guys think Hazama would be a good fit for a defensive player that enjoys playing the neutral game?

Hazama, Hakumen, Jin, Mu etc ... most of character that has good zoning tools can be played defensively and fishing ch while doing it.

PS: and some has good reversal / escape tools when cornered when the other's ... well life's hard :v:

Edited by excelence

As a former Hazama and Ragna player from CT-EX I'm not too fond of their changes into CP. I mentioned my own two cents on their changes in the past and I'll save you guys the ear full. I have settled for five characters that strongly hold my interest but like to know which of the few should I invest time into first after the two characters I mentioned. Noel, Kagura, Bullet, Izayoi, and Kokonoe.

As a rush down practitioner with my former two characters which of those five might fit? I enjoy rush down, mix-up, abare, and mid-screen control.

Edited by Sadeyo

As a former Hazama and Ragna player from CT-EX I'm not too of their changes into CP. I mentioned my own two cents on their changes in the past and I'll save you guys the ear full. I have settled for five characters that strongly hold my interest but like to know which of the few should I invest time into first after the two characters I mentioned. Noel, Kagura, Bullet, Izayoi, and Kokonoe.

As a rush down practitioner with my former two characters which of those five might fit? I enjoy rush down, mix-up, abare, and mid-screen control.

Izayoi fits that description pretty well if your goal is to control the neutral game and get a high amount of average damage through GA mode. Her mixup in the corner is extremely strong, even though her pressure is not very dynamic.

Otherwise, I guess I would suggest Kokonoe since she's just kind of a stupid character at the moment. And although she wasn't mentioned, I think the character who fits your description the best is Taokaka.

Izayoi's abare, rtsd, and mix-up are all pretty lackluster outside of GA mode. Just have to mention that. Her mid-screen control and neutral are still fine.

I think Noel or Kokonoe are more well balanced in regards to the things you've mentioned, Sadeyo, though as Celerity said, Kokonoe is a pretty silly character right now.

Noel is just, well, Noel. Good mobility, reasonable abare, average mid-screen control. Her pressure game is pretty annoying, as always, and her drives have a pretty unreactable mixup built into them, now.

Kokonoe has everything. Literally everything. Strong screen control, strong rush down, insane abare, strong mix-up, and so-on. I won't get into the debate about whether she's broken or not, but she's definitely very good at lots of things.

Bullet might fit, but I don't know enough about the character to really say. Seems like she might have decent abare and pressure, but I wouldn't really know. Her mobility and pressure options are sorta weird to me, though.

Izayoi is a very on and off type of character: when she has gathered her resources, she can do everything, but when she hasn't, she's far more limited. If that doesn't bother you, then she's a fine character, as well. Once she's in GA mode, her rtsd, mix-up, and abare all become significantly better. Mid-screen control and neutral could arguably be worse in GA mode than normal mode to some degree (probably because of the lack of a grounded run), but that's pretty much player opinion and playstyle stuff. As I already mentioned, her normal mode abare and rtsd/mixup are pretty lackluster.

Kagura just has no mobility and as a result has limited options, though I think his abare is okay. His mix-up is pretty strong and his damage is very high.

edit: Also, though she's not on your list, I do agree with Celerity that Taokaka fits all the requirements.

edit 2: Most of the list applies to a couple other characters to some degree, as well (Litchi, Terumi, Azrael, Rachel, etc.), though none of them are quite as fitting as Tao.

Edited by Tari

Hey, was wondering if I Could get some main advice...

After looking at how I play (other than poorly :P) I'm trying to pick someone that has extreme control. I've re-picked up Extend and have been messing around with Platinum quite a bit, but some things click and some things don't so far...

I guess I can say how, I enjoy Kanji in P4A mainly because I can chain his grabs into grabs and keep the opponent stuck in them. I know Tager may be a good fit, but I find him so slow in comparison.

If anyone can give advice on which characters supply similar control, it would be much appreciated. I'll be trying to get used to this fight stick still in the meantime.

After looking at how I play (other than poorly :P) I'm trying to pick someone that has extreme control.

extreme control of what, exactly?

After looking at how I play (other than poorly :P) I'm trying to pick someone that has extreme control. I've re-picked up Extend and have been messing around with Platinum quite a bit, but some things click and some things don't so far...

I guess I can say how, I enjoy Kanji in P4A mainly because I can chain his grabs into grabs and keep the opponent stuck in them. I know Tager may be a good fit, but I find him so slow in comparison.

If anyone can give advice on which characters supply similar control, it would be much appreciated. I'll be trying to get used to this fight stick still in the meantime.

On CSE either Ragna / Jin ... On CP try Bullet.

If you want lockdown, Relius and Litchi are good at that. Kokonoe has an unblockable setup and lots of ways to keep the opponent where she wants them. Rachel has great space control and powerful mixup/oki that lets her take a lot of rounds 100-0.

But yeah, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, because I don't really consider Kanji a "controlling" character. If you want that kind of playstyle where you have to work to get in, but have access to a lot of damage and momentum once you do, I would say Bullet is a good fit.

extreme control of what, exactly?

Jin is master of control

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

If you want lockdown, Relius and Litchi are good at that. Kokonoe has an unblockable setup and lots of ways to keep the opponent where she wants them. Rachel has great space control and powerful mixup/oki that lets her take a lot of rounds 100-0.

But yeah, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, because I don't really consider Kanji a "controlling" character. If you want that kind of playstyle where you have to work to get in, but have access to a lot of damage and momentum once you do, I would say Bullet is a good fit.

I see, thanks. Bullet piqued my interests before too... As for Ragna/Jin, oddly enough I've always disliked them as characters. So I may just hone my skills with my fight stick and my basic movements/controls whilst waiting for CP

As for control, I think I worded it wrong... I like to take careful steps and make sure I only go in when I've tricked them into a mistake or I know I can do what I need, but when I'm in I want it to matter, and just keep gaining force. For example, bait out a mistake as Kanji, then plow in and keep the pain going. Suppose you could say, I like to force mistakes and punish them, hard.

If Bullet is like that, I suppose I will be waiting for a little.

Hakumen :v: ... Bullet is more similar to Kanji in gameplay wise, but from your further description ... imo Hakumen would also fit... i'll word him as "Opportunistic" character and his damage output is very good, getting stronger overtime.

I see, thanks ^^ he'll give me more specific things to do while I try to better myself for CP. Then I'll pick when I've thoroughly tried both him and Bullet. If I enjoy em' both, then...well. I'll just focus on giving Hakumen a go (and actually getting better at the game) for now.

So I really need help.... Ive always wanted to get into blazblue so this time i decided to get the game early(import) but i am having trouble choosing a main. Im really good at sf4 and mvc3 but i am terrible at blazblue.I mained ibuki and subbed Cammy in sf4 ( i like rush down/characters with good mix ups) im currently using jin but im interested in terumi for his damage Tsubaki she feels like a rush down character and Izayoi because she looks like she has the potential to have a dangerous mix up game. Also if u guys can... tell me about the learning curves for the characters.

and also this game seems to make me freeze up everytime someone is attacking it almost feels like i have no idea how to fight back most of the time

sorry to keep posting lol but another thing is why does it feel like the character who gets knocked down has more priority than the attacker for example i get a knockdown on someone with jin try to jab them on their wake up and they can out jab me if they use netral wakeup. I just dont understand that... but i do understand that reversals will take priority over my normal attacks which is why i should bait them.

Unfortunately, Oki and Knockdown isn't as big as a deal like it would be in games like Guilty Gear. However, having Oki options isn't a bad thing, and being creative will only help you improve as a player.

Off the top of my head, the characters with scariest mix ups in BlazBlue are Rachel Alucard, Izayoi, and I think maybe Bang. But their other characters with reasonably strong mix ups such as Tsubaki and Platinum.

However, with the possible exception of Tsubaki, all of the characters listed above lack defensive options without meter, or lack reversals all together.

Their are characters however whose mix ups aren't considered the best, but still have great pressure. The examples coming to mind being Noel, Bullet, and Relius. Noel's Drive allows her to link 4 attacks together, most of which are pretty fast. Bullet's Drive allows her to stay on top of the opponent, and her mix up options can be fairly deceptive if used right. Finally, Relius works in tandem with his doll, Ignis. This allows him to create nearly gapless pressure by having one attack while the other recovers.

I guess depending on the playstyle your going for. I'd recommend Rachel or Izayoi if you want to play a strong ranged game while being able to create scary pressure with mix ups. But if you want to be up in the opponent's face, I'd honestly go for Bang, Noel, Platinum, or Bullet.

sorry to keep posting lol but another thing is why does it feel like the character who gets knocked down has more priority than the attacker for example i get a knockdown on someone with jin try to jab them on their wake up and they can out jab me if they use netral wakeup. I just dont understand that... but i do understand that reversals will take priority over my normal attacks which is why i should bait them.

I'd really have to see this to know what you're talking about, maybe you're trying to hit them while they are still invincible?