shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

You'll get about the same amount of skill transition for any of those characters - except maybe Nu. Her mode-change stuff seems to have even changed her neutral game pretty significantly. You'll have to relearn all but the most basic combos with pretty much everyone.

Of the three, I think Tsubaki is probably the best for 'general' system knowledge, since she has very standard movement options and her combo mechanics are the most 'normal' overall.

Nu is probably the hardest of the 3 in terms of execution. Hakumen is probably the easiest.

Back again, this time about a good zoning sub. I figure I'd like a zoning character in my ranks, but was kind of unsure about choosing Nu or Mu. Both zoning characters, with very different zoning mechanics. My main question is, who's better it? A less important question would be who do people use less and why?

Okay, I need some help.

I played BlazBlue for about a year now, and I'm just struggling to find someone I like to play and stick with. Up until now, I toggled between Makoto and Noel, but lately, both have been boring me to death. It feels like I'm just sort of "Mindlessly rushing." which is great competitively, but it's starting to get a little boring.

I need some other players inputs, I want to use a character who forces me to think.

Right now, my top choices are Rachel, Izayoi, Nu, or Mu.

Rachel sounds great, and I think her character design both appearance wise and gameplay wise is beautiful, but there's just so much too keep track of, and the execution for some of her more practical combos is just beyond me. But I'd be willing to put the time into Rachel if I knew I wanted to stick with her.

Izayoi is kinda low tier, but she boasts strong mix up and offensive potential in her Gain Art Mode, and when used properly, she can be a real nuisance to deal with. Not to mention her design is stunning appearance wise. But I sometimes have problems dealing with the lack of practical defensive tools because of my skill level.

Nu's Zoning potential and neutral game is something that absolutely cannot be ignored, and I really like how Nu looks when controlling the match. But because how specific her match ups get, and with the added mode change feature, it's sort of struggle to properly figure out what in the hell your supposed to do when learning her.

Mu looks like a nice alternative, but properly setting up Oki and actually pressuring the foe with her is still a mystery to me, not to mention the craziness that you have to deal with when trying to combo the foe when a Stein fires, it's almost utter bedlam.

Every character looks great with pros and cons, which is why I can't properly decide who I want to play. Can someone help me out, so I don't just keep on character hopping.

If you want to play a character who forces you to think, play Rachel. There seriously is no better character for tuning out mashy habits.

Yeah, looking at the character pages on the wiki and personal experience, I think I'm somewhere between Izayoi and Rachel. They both have very similar goals, but the way they both go about it is pretty different.

Rachel's goal is pretty much control the match, bait the opponent to make tons of mistakes, punish those mistakes, and repeat.

Izayoi's goal is to carefully poke and build stocks, then mount an offense with Gain Art, then gain more stocks if needed.

They both have great ability to keep the momentum and pace of the match in their favor, and both have very frightening mix up potential.

@ Wild Candy : Well playing without thinking for rush down character have their own merrit imo, and on my experience if u thinking on rush down, often times it makes my trap looks too obvious try to always makes it 50:50... and when u actually get proficient enough with 1 character, no matter what type of character they are... you will pretty much going mindlessly on rush down and when you actually start thinking usually only 2 option available :

1. Something Absurd : Makoto ccccc rush > rc > 2c (not doing this on every round of My Makoto Match, but when i'm doing this, The opponent Burst or they dies)

2. Back off

So yeah what i'm trying to say is, on rush down you will pretty much playing mindlessly so i'm not quite get what u want to think about in rush down :/

Anyway you're forced to think if u learning a new character no matter what type of character they are, since you haven't got any flow chart maped on your mind and reflex of what they capable off :v:

I did challenge mode with all the characters today, and I wanted to know a little more about Kagura. He seems pretty interesting, but I'm not very familiar with stance changers or charge characters, but I'd like to how difficult he is to get a grasp on.

Hey, everyone! It's been a few months since the release of BBCP, and I've been pretty much alternating nonstop around the entire cast, to the point where I'm almost up to 75% challenge mode completion. I'm planning to go to EVO this year, and want to settle on a main to train with for the next few months so I'm not taken out in my first two matches. Since, apparently, I'm unable to choose by myself, I wanted to ask you guys and gals for help. Any advice at all is welcome!

So, I used to main Hazama in BBCS:EX, but honestly, I can't say I like his playstyle in CP. Whether it's the changes or just me, he feels bleh for some reason, and I can't seem to put any energy into training with him. My sub in Extend was Rachel, and she's absolutely awesome once she gets her pressure rolling, but I hate having to play the waiting and zoning game in the meantime to create space for pumpkin summons. I'm looking for a character with a strong pressure/rushdown game plan, with either fast normals or nice pokes. Decent oki is a plus! So far, the ones I've liked are:

Kokonoe - Love her character, love her moveset, love her theme, and would probably be my first choice; but, with BBCP 1.1 coming out until May, I'm afraid I won't have enough time to practice with her new version before EVO, and won't shake off habits I learn in the meantime that might not be possible afterwards (6B revolver action with everything, for one).

Relius - A little on the slow side, probably about the slowest character I'd consider, but he has impressive pressure.

Izayoi - Like Kokopuffs, I love the character, but she's getting a lot of changes in the upcoming patch (even harder to fake-train with in BBCP 1.0, since even her movement changes), and her current version feels a little limited in options. Her gameplan is kind of frustrating, too; if you get in and load up the zero weave gauge early, she's scary, but if not, you're stuck with a lackluster normal mode and have to rely on overdrive or rapid cancel gimmicks to do anything at all once you eventually manage to escape the opponent's pressure. She can't just take momentum back on a whim.

Tsubaki - See above, though not as limited in options. Would she be recommended for actual competitive play? I see very few Tsubakis in tournaments, in general, and just want to double-check that she's actually viable. The Tsubaki forums general discussion seemed rather indifferent towards her; she just doesn't seem to get much love.

Rachel - Still an option! She's way too sluggish for my taste without wind, though; I really do prefer characters with better "natural" movement, but it's not a deal-breaker. Probably still my default choice if I can't figure out who to switch to.

Honorable mentions - Noel, Carl, Azrael. These are the three I seem to come back to the most while randomly spinning around the character select screen.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read this, whoever does, and for any advice you can offer. Cheers!

Edited by Dreizehn

I can really only give me input with Tsubaki. The reason why you don't see a lot of Tsubaki's at tournaments, is because she's a "Jack Of All Trades". Which is a nice way of saying she's average. There's nothing special about her, and because she has no significant advantage, she's kind of a lost cause. Not to mention the fact she requires a lot of execution and timing, so it's like: "Why spend some much time and energy, when you get so little reward?" Personally, this won't stop me from bringing her to tournaments, but to actually make her good, you need match up experience. Did I miss anything?

Izayoi isn't exactly the best rushdown character in the world. She has to play pretty passively before she gets resources.

As said above, Tsubaki is an all rounder, and as much as I love her, if you wanted an all rounder character you'd probably be better off with Jin, who is overall stronger (also wasn't mentioned in your post anyway). Not that I wouldn't like to see her at Evo.

Relius and Rachel are both pretty good choices because they have good neutral and rushdown, though relius may fit what you want more.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

I can really only give me input with Tsubaki. The reason why you don't see a lot of Tsubaki's at tournaments, is because she's a "Jack Of All Trades". Which is a nice way of saying she's average. There's nothing special about her, and because she has no significant advantage, she's kind of a lost cause. Not to mention the fact she requires a lot of execution and timing, so it's like: "Why spend some much time and energy, when you get so little reward?" Personally, this won't stop me from bringing her to tournaments, but to actually make her good, you need match up experience. Did I miss anything?

Tsubaki has suffered from a lack of willingness of the developers to take a stand on what they want her to do. They practically revised her design for CP (after realizing that a character who is dependent on an install super for damage was a bad idea in Extend) now saying "Welll...uh.... what if we give you a couple of slow projectiles? Would that help?" instead of giving the character what she actually needs - normals that are good enough to make her scary when she manages to get in and apply pressure. It's almost like they don't realize she gets worse everytime they increase barrier pushback.

She's not a bad character, per se, but she's in a game full of characters who are very good, so being "Okay." is not a particularly compelling state to be in. It's a little bit depressing.

So, I used to main Hazama in BBCS:EX, but honestly, I can't say I like his playstyle in CP. Whether it's the changes or just me, he feels bleh for some reason, and I can't seem to put any energy into training with him. My sub in Extend was Rachel, and she's absolutely awesome once she gets her pressure rolling, but I hate having to play the waiting and zoning game in the meantime to create space for pumpkin summons. I'm looking for a character with a strong pressure/rushdown game plan, with either fast normals or nice pokes. Decent oki is a plus!

It sounds like Valk would be perfect for you, or maybe Litchi, but you didn't mention either of them in your list. Most of the characters you mentioned are limited in the same way Izayoi is, by some kind of resource that you need to manage to maintain your pressure, and their normals are overall not that impressive. Valk and Litchi can both play a patient neutral game and go into pressure seamlessly. If you're looking for a low tier alternative, Makoto also kind of fits the bill. She's very explosive and is a lot of fun to play.

Tsubaki - See above, though not as limited in options. Would she be recommended for actual competitive play? I see very few Tsubakis in tournaments, in general, and just want to double-check that she's actually viable. The Tsubaki forums general discussion seemed rather indifferent towards her; she just doesn't seem to get much love.

Tsubaki mains are all tsunderes, that's why.

who would you reccommend in CP for a GG Venom player? got one of my friends interested in playing but he's having a hard time picking a char because Venom is so unique in GG.

Should I tell him to pick Rachel? any other option?

Tsubaki mains are all tsunderes, that's why.

I-it's not like I like Tsubaki or anything, b-baka!

Seriously, thank you, and everyone who commented before. It's a shame about Tsubaki, her character design is awesome. Celerity, thanks a ton for bringing up those three; Valk and Litchi are certainly two I'll have to consider and try around a bit more. I like your idea about Makoto a lot; she completely escaped my mind, and even if she's kind of low, she's extremely fun. It's funny; a friend I was talking with this morning about the same problem brought up Makoto, too.

Other than those, Jin is a good all-rounder choice that might serve as a backup. I'm thinking about subbing him, he doesn't look too time-consuming. Relius and Rachel are still in the running, too. What do you all think about Tao? She looks confusing, I couldn't really grasp her neutral or gameplan when I tried her, and pretty much just looked into ways to counter her. What is the general idea of what you're trying to do when you play her?

Valk definetely looks like the character you should main yeah. His rushdown is godlike without relying on anything else besides godspeed or amazing normals.

Difficulty curve is a bit steep but we will be more than glad to help you on the Valkenhayn board if you have any issues.

Join the Valk army, Dreizehn. We will welcome you with open arms. If you take the time to learn him (Which may take a while, he's rather difficult compared to most of the cast) you will feel like an unstoppable beast unless you are playing the Tao or Litchi matchup.

I will also tell you what the Valk bros told me when I joined: w.jC da bess.

Edited by Stellarcircle5

Play Valkenhayn, Dreizehn.

Your Dustloop name suits him.

Legit. Alright! I just picked up my butler outfit from the recruitment office down the corner; how can I say no to that?

Godspeed, fellow wolves. I'll be in the lab.

Valk definetely looks like the character you should main yeah. His rushdown is godlike without relying on anything else besides godspeed or amazing normals.

Difficulty curve is a bit steep but we will be more than glad to help you on the Valkenhayn board if you have any issues.

No! Don't join the Valk Army! Join the "Mash j.C for a Gorillion Damage Coalition". That's "MGDC" for short. You know you can't resist the call of the j.C.

Legit. Alright! I just picked up my butler outfit from the recruitment office down the corner; how can I say no to that?

Godspeed, fellow wolves. I'll be in the lab.

Don't forget: you're still welcome at MGDC.

That can't be right. The only thing valk mains can give other people is pain.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk