shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Hello Dustloop Forum.
I need some help for my character selection in Blazblue. The big problem is, I don't really know what I want.
I played some other Fighting games, such as SSF4/USF4 (Vega) and UMvC3 (Chris, Spencer, Sentinel) which was really fun to play, but with little competitive experience.

I wanted to ask, are there some BB:CP characters that I can play similiar to the listed characters above or can you give me some examples on characters I should try?
I already tried Azrael, Bullet, Hazama, Jin, Makoto, Noel and Platinum, but I don't like them really much.

Maybe this help you to give me a Playstyle/Characteristics I don't know by myself.
Thank you all for reading.

Please excuse my bad English and grammar, it's not my native Language.

Hello Dustloop Forum.

I need some help for my character selection in Blazblue. The big problem is, I don't really know what I want.

I played some other Fighting games, such as SSF4/USF4 (Vega) and UMvC3 (Chris, Spencer, Sentinel) which was really fun to play, but with little competitive experience.

I wanted to ask, are there some BB:CP characters that I can play similiar to the listed characters above or can you give me some examples on characters I should try?

I already tried Azrael, Bullet, Hazama, Jin, Makoto, Noel and Platinum, but I don't like them really much.

Maybe this help you to give me a Playstyle/Characteristics I don't know by myself.

Thank you all for reading.

Please excuse my bad English and grammar, it's not my native Language.

If you played Vega and Spencer, I'd suggest Tao, as she has high mobility and fantastic air to air priority.

Hello. One of my problems in fighting games is that the characters that interest me the most turn out to be rather execution heavy and some of the basic characters like Yu, Sol, Ky, Potemkin, Ragna, Jin and Noel do not interest me very much. I don't have much experience in BBCP and GGXXAC+R and I want to know which character out of these is the easiest to learn.

The characters that interest me in BBCP are Hakumen (I have a LOT of problems landing his BnB), Litchi and Bullet. Might also consider Bang or Azrael (Note: I'm very bad at links, especially if they're like the ones in SSF4. I mostly prefer chain combos).

The characters that interest me in Guilty Gear are I-No, Millia and Axl Low. I'm also interested in Baiken and Jam, but I'd rather learn a character that will be in Xrd. The new characters that I'm planning to try out in Xrd are Ramlethal, Elphelt and maybe Sin.

Some of my other mains include Yuzuriha and Gordeau in UNIEL, Ms. Fortune/Cerebella in Skullgirls, Mitsuru and Akihiko in P4A. I'd say that I like mobile rushdown characters but I'm still not very confident in pressuring opponents and I'm not sure if someone like Yuzuriha can be considered rushdown. Might even try out a zoning character.

Just regarding combo execution not matchup statistic. Easiest to learn :

Bullet > Azrael > Hakumen ... i've never try Bang & Litchi so i don't know how step their combo execution.

In regarding Hakumen... His advanced OD combos actually feel easier to me than his basic bnb lol

Hello. One of my problems in fighting games is that the characters that interest me the most turn out to be rather execution heavy and some of the basic characters like Yu, Sol, Ky, Potemkin, Ragna, Jin and Noel do not interest me very much. I don't have much experience in BBCP and GGXXAC+R and I want to know which character out of these is the easiest to learn.

The characters that interest me in BBCP are Hakumen (I have a LOT of problems landing his BnB), Litchi and Bullet. Might also consider Bang or Azrael (Note: I'm very bad at links, especially if they're like the ones in SSF4. I mostly prefer chain combos).

The characters that interest me in Guilty Gear are I-No, Millia and Axl Low. I'm also interested in Baiken and Jam, but I'd rather learn a character that will be in Xrd. The new characters that I'm planning to try out in Xrd are Ramlethal, Elphelt and maybe Sin.

Some of my other mains include Yuzuriha and Gordeau in UNIEL, Ms. Fortune/Cerebella in Skullgirls, Mitsuru and Akihiko in P4A. I'd say that I like mobile rushdown characters but I'm still not very confident in pressuring opponents and I'm not sure if someone like Yuzuriha can be considered rushdown. Might even try out a zoning character.

For GG:

Based on your interests, Millia would be a pretty good option for you, as she isn't very difficult to use and has the closest resemblances of the characters previously mentioned.  I-No is fun, but she is the most technically demanding character in the game (so far), so be prepared to live in training mode.  Ramlethal, from what news there is sounds like a beginner character, but we'll have to see how that pans out first so.....

As far as BB is concerned:

Bullet is probably the easiest character I've used in BB, but then I don't use Terumi, Ragna, or Jin so meh.  She has a lot of momentum heavy tools and can do disturbing damage with Heat Up levels, but she has a difficult time with a lot of different characters (why no run dash Arc?!) so again, be prepared.

Hakumen isn't really a difficult character to use, his BnB's just have different height and time adjustments when compared to the rest of the cast.  I'd recommend him if you have no problem rushing people down like crazy even though you play a defensive character playing patiently and confirming into big damage in neutral, but again, get comfortable in training mode.

Litchi, while generally considered execution heavy, is really not that bad at all.  Her difficulty mostly stems from understand control of the neutral game and being able to confirm from certain attacks that carry to the corner.  It would take a while to break this character down, but once more, training mode is your friend here.

Some other characters I'd suggest if you're open to trying them out:

Terumi, Relius, Bang, Platinum, Kokonoe.

On the subject of Azrael links, they are really tame. Just try a few advanced challenge mode combos to get used to the height and timing then if you get those down start messing around with the Azrael combo thread on this site.

I have some level of familiarity with P4AU.  Played the first a bit, but didn't bother with any of the characters aside from Narukami.  So I'm trying to get more into this title, but just can't decide on a character.  I'm kinda limited with regard to fighting game experience.  Main Lili in Tekken and Guile in SF4, but I'm not particularly good at either game.  So I guess what I'm asking for is a P4AU character with relatively easy execution that isn't Narukami.  I'd like to play Rise, but just can't figure out how to play her efficiently.  Thanks in advance.

If you're looking for easy, there's no character easier than Minazuki.  Super simple and effective gameplan, great buttons, good matchups, and braindead easy combos (the only ones that might take more than 10 minutes to pick up is the 25 meter 4AB -> 2A extension, and some of the combos involving specific heights into Tsukiyomi -> 2A).

I'm thinking of getting into BlazBlue and playing CP 2.0 when it comes out. Who do you think would be a good main for me? I like characters who..

-Can hit from far away without moving from their spot. I don't like getting close to the opponent.

and/or
-Characters who are graceful/fab/pretty/cute/etc. One of the reasons I mained Ken in Ultimax was because he was a bishounen and he uses a a cute dog for some of his attacks. I also liked Yukiko since she was graceful with her fans and persona and instant kill.  

I'd say nu13 for range but if you want someone that plays close as ken then carl clover (also has ken colors) but he is also the hardest character to learn.

I've been thinking about picking up Ultimax; and I could use some help.

Since I play Tsubaki, I like being able to "buff" myself after knockdown instead of setting up oki. (Ex: Charging Install after completing a combo; not rushing in immediately once I've ended the string)

Anyone in Ultimax fit that type of playstyle? I know Yukiko has Fire Boost, but no one ever uses that since she has better options.

As you said, Yukiko is one option; you can use Shadow Yukiko instead if you want, since she benefits much more positively from Fire Boost because her Shadow Fury combos means she'll actually get to the point where she can pull off Phoenix Flame Swirl.

Other options I can think of are Ken (Mediarama to heal yourself and Koro), Teddie (items oki might not be exactly what you're looking for, though), Aigis (for entering/exiting Orgia Mode) or Rise (offensive set-ups with 2C/Arrow Rain/notes, or defensive set-up with Tetra/Makarakan).

There's also Adachi since Magatsu Mandala doesn't need to land for the buff, but that's Awakening only and you need Heat Riser to land for that to trigger a buff.

*Snip*

I haven't explored much into Shadow territory in terms of watching match videos; I'll give it a look!

I was only able to play the original game for a short term; and Teddie's oki was a bit too random for my liking. Aigis is a tad too fast for me, and I like playing a character that doesn't have to be up the other character's nose in order to attack. I'll look into Ken stuff then; I consider Carl a "sub" of mine, so I don't think execution will be so much of a problem. Thank you for your help! 

I really don't recommend starting off with a shadow character right off the bat.  Learn the non-shadow version of the character first, then start working on shadow rampage combos once you feel you have neutral and confirms down.

I'm thinking of getting into BlazBlue and playing CP 2.0 when it comes out. Who do you think would be a good main for me? I like characters who..

-Can hit from far away without moving from their spot. I don't like getting close to the opponent.

and/or

-Characters who are graceful/fab/pretty/cute/etc. One of the reasons I mained Ken in Ultimax was because he was a bishounen and he uses a a cute dog for some of his attacks. I also liked Yukiko since she was graceful with her fans and persona and instant kill.  

Dude, Amane Nishiki is your man. He is all of those things you described turned up to eleven. He can abuse people from across the screen with a frilly pink scarf, and even his super-chip-damage drill move has unpunishable range and recovery (the drill is made of a frilly pink scarf too, don't worry).

Plus he's always graceful and fabulous no matter what you are doing. He even has a special move nicknamed "The Fab Hop."

Hi all, I'm interested in getting into Ultimax seriously. To that end, I need some help choosing a main and 2 or 3 alts (playing the same 1 or 2 characters gets boring really fast). I haven't had much of a chance to play BB:CP a lot because I don't own a PS3 (will get one soon though). When I play at my friend's house, I mainly use Carl, Kagura, Amane, and Mu-12.

I generally like characters that:

* Take a decent amount of skill to use well

* Aren't a dime-a-dozen online (I loved abusing people's lack of Hawkgirl and Cyborg experience in IGAU)

* Have a good mix-up game and gimmicks that can be annoying to deal with

* Armor on their moves

I dislike:

* Extreme rush down because it can feel mindless at times

* Overreliance on turtling and keepaway

Thanks in advance  :)

P.S.: Are Shadow-type characters really as bad as I've heard? It seems like most people think Shadow-type is complete garbo except for Chie, Mitsuru, Naoto, and Yu.

The closest character that I think fits with your style would be Shadow Labrys. Ken is a closer fit to Carl, but Shabrys has more interesting mechanics with her puppet, such as being able to have it guard and using its limited super armour for some matchups like Yukiko. There's also a lot of mixup and tricky tech potential there.

Ken isn't a bad idea to sub either. Not many characters have armour on their moves, but otherwise some other possibilities are Naoto (very morphing style gameplay), Marie (lots of setplay options, but she's fairly common right now til the hype dies down a bit) or Rise (similar to Marie, with some really interesting setplay and mixups).

Shadow characters are just generally very different. Losing Burst is generally considered the biggest factor - you're losing a pivotal defensive tool, a combo extender, or a gimmicky way to refill meter and cards. Also losing Awakening's defense boosts. Some characters are considerably worse than their normal counterparts (Kanji, Aigis, Yukari), but quite a few of them are usually adaptable if you can make use of the Shadow Fury mechanic well. Just experiment really. You do have to play a better neutral game since you can't just rely on Bursts and Awakening for a defense mechanic, I think.

^^^^

Thanks. I was debating S. Labrys (Asterius) and Ken since they're both puppet characters, but Ken seemed more like Relius than Carl. I'll just have to try out characters and see who I like when I have free time, but those are good starting points. I could see Marie or Rise being similar to Mu-12, but are there any parallel characters to Amane or Kagura?

The biggest weakness with Shadow Frenzy seems to be that the Burst mechanic makes Shadow Frenzy tantamount to a weaker version of HD Mode from KOF13. The only way an HD Mode combo can fail is due to execution, whereas Shadow Frenzy has the added risk of a Burst by the opponent, which sucks since all that meter would go go bye bye.

Mitsuru would be the closest to Amane - she uses charge motions, which are a whole different ballpark, but if you like those long whip attacks she's an okay fit. Alternative would be Yukari if you like faphops/flips.

As for Kagura, Adachi would be the closest to a stance character as far as I'm aware, but I wouldn't really say there's anyone that very closely mirrors his style. Maybe Akihiko, but you don't get that huge range or projectile.

There's a reason Mits/Chie/Naoto are considered good shadows; most of their combos involve near seamless super chaining, which can't be bursted out of. Also having that 100 meter puts your opponent into a mindgame situation - are they going to save their Burst for when you enter Frenzy? Then just whittle them down with normal combos. Or bait the burst. It's far easier for Shadow characters to rebuild that 100 meter than for a character to rebuild their Burst. Some characters, like Junpei, also really love their OMB combos, so you're also forcing them to choose between two uses of that resource.

So, I'm relatively new to fighters in general (have a little bit of SF experience, but has been ages since I've picked the game up) I bought CP the other day and am really enjoying it, but I have no idea who to main. Things I like in a character are:

• Good pokes whilst having mixup potential
  • High mobility
  • Really long combos
  • Cute/Classy characters
  • Strong anti air(s)

I'm also going to buy Ultimax in the near future, so in Ultimax, who would fit that description? 

So, I'm relatively new to fighters in general (have a little bit of SF experience, but has been ages since I've picked the game up) I bought CP the other day and am really enjoying it, but I have no idea who to main. Things I like in a character are:

• Good pokes whilst having mixup potential
  • High mobility
  • Really long combos
  • Cute/Classy characters
  • Strong anti air(s)

I'm also going to buy Ultimax in the near future, so in Ultimax, who would fit that description? 

Characters with good pokes AND high movility are rare, I really like speedters, just look at my sign. Now, if you want both features, besides the charaters that I use you should test Valkenhayn and Izayoi (Gain Art mode) in BBCP.

Characters with good pokes AND high movility are rare, I really like speedters, just look at my sign. Now, if you want both features, besides the charaters that I use you should test Valkenhayn and Izayoi (Gain Art mode) in BBCP.

Alright cool, I was looking at picking up rachel, but I guess she's more of a zoning/trapping character? thanks for the help, gonna give Valk a go