shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

For me the better to start with between Ky and Faust is hands down Ky. He doesn't have a "stance" in that Faust has Pogo and with that Ky's game can be expanded on with basics (in my mind anyway) a little more than Faust. Ky also has enough variety of attacks to give you tools while remaining simple to get a good grasp on. (He's also not a bad character at high level play IIRC)

For me the better to start with between Ky and Faust is hands down Ky. He doesn't have a "stance" in that Faust has Pogo and with that Ky's game can be expanded on with basics (in my mind anyway) a little more than Faust. Ky also has enough variety of attacks to give you tools while remaining simple to get a good grasp on. (He's also not a bad character at high level play IIRC)

Okay I guess I'll try to get accustomed to Ky then. He does seem pretty basic but at this point I need to be working on my basics. Thanks a lot for all the help guys! 

I'm sort of struggling to pick a main in Xrd. I say "sort of" because in previous iterations of GG I would always use Venom. Now, I wasn't very good but I had a fun time with him and won a fair amount of matches. Since Xrd, he lost a couple of my favorite moves and the adjustment, while not difficult, is kind of a pain. I asked this on the Venom board, and the advise I received was to keep up with him. However, something doesn't seem to be clicking. So, I'll ask y'all who to go with.

I've always liked unique characters in terms of looks and play style. Since most of GG's characters look cool, it comes down to how they handle. I like characters that do well in the air; they have the opportunity to create situations where they (and the foe) hardly touch the ground. After watching some videos I started to gain an interest in the following:

Chipp is hilarious as a character and looks like he'd be a blast, but I'm not good with JIs and apparently they're crucial to success.

Slayer is an all around bad-ass (DAT HAIR), but his timing feels different than the other characters.

Millia seems like Chipp, but her execution seems even more strict since she can do two air dashes.

I-No is a bitch on legs, but her low range makes me think I'd rely on her 236 projectile and not utilize her to the fullest.

Zato seems like he'd be really tricky, but after seeing some videos, I'm totally flabbergasted by the amount of "stuff" at his disposal.

And of course, Venom since I've always used him.

Thanks for any input. I can be more specific if need be.

Maybe I-No?  Her execution is drastically toned down from older games.

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie there

I'm a beginner and have been maining I-no... from what I've read on here, it sounds like she's not a bad character to start with.  I've been doing pretty poorly online.... only won 1 match so far after countless losses.  But out of all the player's I've lost too, Leo Whitefang was the hardest to get any damage on.  I'm wondering if I should stick with her based on that information or try someone else like Ky or Sol.  I really like her fighting style though!

I need to find an Xrd main. I just need to know one thing.

Who has the move that dashes through people?

I'm hoping guessing you mean Leo

Hello there. I'd like to start off by saying I'm rather new to the Dustloop forums and such, and I decided to take a look at the beginner forums and in specific this thread. I know the discussion has shifted to GG Xrd as it just came out, but seeing as I haven't gotten the game yet, my main issues lie mostly with BBCP at the moment.

I'm having trouble finding a character that really I enjoy. After playing the game for a few months to try to test the waters, I've narrowed down the kind of style I like to play. I typically like to play offensive characters, usually fairly rushdown oriented. I've sort of played around with the characters that seemed very rushdown oriented like Bang, and I'm just having difficulty narrowing it down to one of these characters that clicks with me, really.

Okay, so we have to narrow the list further.  What do you like about your rushdown, the pressure, or the mixups?  Or both?

Okay, so we have to narrow the list further. What do you like about your rushdown, the pressure, or the mixups? Or both?

I personally really like the mixup portion of the rushdown style.

If you're in the mixups department, I think the better options are Millia and I-No.

I'm sorry, but my question more applied to BBCP than GG Xrd. I don't mean to be rude.

I'm sorry, but my question more applied to BBCP than GG Xrd. I don't mean to be rude.

Then you have more options: Azrael, Izayoi, Valkenhayn, Rachel, Bang, Carl and Litchi.

Then you have more options: Azrael, Izayoi, Valkenhayn, Rachel, Bang, Carl and Litchi.

Correct. 

Although with the exception of Bang and Azrael, you're going to need solid execution for those characters.  You can't however, get better mixup than this lineup, although they do each have their specifics where mixup is concerned.

Correct. 

Although with the exception of Bang and Azrael, you're going to need solid execution for those characters.  You can't however, get better mixup than this lineup, although they do each have their specifics where mixup is concerned.

Okay, so in this case it'd be better to start off with Valkenhayn and Izayoi for example? At least, until my execution gets better?

Okay, so in this case it'd be better to start off with Valkenhayn and Izayoi for example? At least, until my execution gets better?

I'd recommend Azrael and Bang.  They are more lenient on execution.  Valk, Izayoi, and the others (especially Carl) have much steeper learning curves to deal with, although you should try them all.  You never know who you might click with to start off with. 

I'd recommend Azrael and Bang.  They are more lenient on execution.  Valk, Izayoi, and the others (especially Carl) have much steeper learning curves to deal with, although you should try them all.  You never know who you might click with to start off with. 

Alright, thank you! I'll give each of them a good look.

Hey everyone,

I started getting used XRD, and having trouble choosing a character. Im sticking I-No for the moment( seeing that ishiwatari thought it was great to cut my only main in Guilty Gear, Jam -_-), but is there any character that is highly rushdown oriented, or is staying with I-no better( I like her tbh).

Hey, new to Dustloop and just picked up my first Guilty Gear game (Xrd). Been playing around with some characters and the ones that really stand out to me are Venom, Ramlethal and Elphelt. Now I'm going to say my execution isn't up to snuff, but I understand how each of them is supposed to play, to an extent. What I'm looking for in my characters are good footsie tools, setplays, and disgusting oki/pressure. I like those 3 characters quite a lot aesthetically, however if I were to drop one, it'd be Elphelt, since I heard she's getting nerfed hardcore. So I guess the real question is, between Ramlethal and Venom, which one would allow me to play the way I like?  

Hey, new to Dustloop and just picked up my first Guilty Gear game (Xrd). Been playing around with some characters and the ones that really stand out to me are Venom, Ramlethal and Elphelt. Now I'm going to say my execution isn't up to snuff, but I understand how each of them is supposed to play, to an extent. What I'm looking for in my characters are good footsie tools, setplays, and disgusting oki/pressure. I like those 3 characters quite a lot aesthetically, however if I were to drop one, it'd be Elphelt, since I heard she's getting nerfed hardcore. So I guess the real question is, between Ramlethal and Venom, which one would allow me to play the way I like?  

If you're new, I'd stay away from Venom. He's one of the most difficult characters to learn, especially if you don't have a strong understanding of how the game works. Elphelt is still fine; tier list shouldn't dictate which character you want to play. Especially in a game like GG. A weaker character doesn't equate to crap character. Good footsies, setplay and oki/pressure all in one character? Uhhhh...sure asking for a lot. Most character will fall into 2/3 of those categories, maybe 2 and a half. Ramlethal is probably the closest in that regards.

Considering Platinum, although I'm not a fan of the RNG, item shennagins look too fun to pass up. What does she excel at?

Except Ram is gonna be shit going by loketests so far, while Venom is gonna be god. And tbh neither are super hard to use.

Ram got a lot of unnerfs in the new loketest. Venom's always been good but he's got so much freedom with his pressure and you have to be on point with ball setups it can be daunting to learn. Not as straightforward as Ram's stuff, not to mention she's easier execution-wise.