shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

I generally play rushdown characters if that helps. I might give slayer a try.

If Rushdown's your game, can't go wrong with Millia.

Whut?  2D is "unsafe" when it's -4 and pushes you way the heck back?  6C that is freakin' jump cancellable is unsafe?  Come on, seriously.

Clearly, good players are not having any trouble opening up other good players with Ragna. Gauntlet Hades can come out just about anytime, and used judiciously is very effective.

Ragna doesn't have "good" mixup except at low levels, but his mixup isn't bad either.

You could say its.....decent at best :V

Naw real talk tho, Ragna's only truly strong mixup tool is Crossup DID as even at higher levels, that shit is really hard to react to, even when you can predict it. Other than that, he'll mostly open you up by either forcing you to press buttons or bullying you with moves like 5B.

I'm learning P4U right now and picked up Margaret and I'm having so much fun with her, and I wanted to learn a sub, so I wanted to learn Yukari since I like zoning/heavy damage, but the execution requirements I feel are out of my league. any and advice on easier execution characters?

(no Yukiko and no Rise)

Hey everyone. Im looking for a character that is fast( fast attack speed, movement ), range is short, and has flashy quick combos in blazblue. I play Jam in GG+R. Is Noel or Makoto valid choices, or are ther other characters that fall under that category. I'm fan of dynamic and long combos. 

Looking for a main, pretty new to Guilty Gear not new to fighting games (I play USF4).

I've done about 250 challenges, so I have a decent feel for the characters, but I still just cannot find someone to stick to. My most played character so far is Ky, but I simply got bored of him after a little while. Also, there are way too many Sol players and I just dislike the idea of playing him. In USF4 I play Guile, but I've pretty much accepted that there's no lame/turtle playstyle, so I'm willing to learn how to apply good offense. However, since I'm a Guile player, I'd like a character who has good normals and someone simple enough for me to focus on what's punishable rather than difficult/long combos (I can do jump cancel and YRC combos pretty easily, still not entirely sure what a jump install is though)

Hey everyone. Im looking for a character that is fast( fast attack speed, movement ), range is short, and has flashy quick combos in blazblue. I play Jam in GG+R. Is Noel or Makoto valid choices, or are ther other characters that fall under that category. I'm fan of dynamic and long combos. 

You want: Noel, Terumi, or even Platinum

Looking for a main, pretty new to Guilty Gear not new to fighting games (I play USF4).

I've done about 250 challenges, so I have a decent feel for the characters, but I still just cannot find someone to stick to. My most played character so far is Ky, but I simply got bored of him after a little while. Also, there are way too many Sol players and I just dislike the idea of playing him. In USF4 I play Guile, but I've pretty much accepted that there's no lame/turtle playstyle, so I'm willing to learn how to apply good offense. However, since I'm a Guile player, I'd like a character who has good normals and someone simple enough for me to focus on what's punishable rather than difficult/long combos (I can do jump cancel and YRC combos pretty easily, still not entirely sure what a jump install is though)

The only character that even comes near Guile is Venom, and even then it's by a wide margin.  Characters with good normals that punish pretty hard: Sol, May, Slayer, Elphelt, Sin

You want: Noel, Terumi, or even Platinum

Bwuh? Those recommendations seem super random.

You want Makoto or Tsubaki.  Probably Makoto, actually, since Tsubaki combos aren't really super stylish this time.

You want Makoto or Tsubaki.  Probably Makoto, actually, since Tsubaki combos aren't really super stylish this time.

Noel, Makoto, Tsubaki, Bang and Terumi are fast characters but Bang doesn't have the easiest combos. Terumi has the easiest combos and execution but his tools aren't exactly good without spending heat.

All 3 have short range normals, are pretty fast on the ground and have flashy combos, which is what he's asking for. 

All 3 have short range normals, are pretty fast on the ground and have flashy combos, which is what he's asking for. 

I really don't think of Platinum or Terumi as fast or short ranged, really.    o.o

I really don't think of Platinum or Terumi as fast or short ranged, really.    o.o

I don't know about Platinum, but with Terumi even havin those 5D, j.D and 6C, most of the time he's a charcater that needs to be very close to be a threat mostly because of his nice frametraps and tick throws.

I don't know about Platinum, but with Terumi even havin those 5D, j.D and 6C, most of the time he's a charcater that needs to be very close to be a threat mostly because of his nice frametraps and tick throws.

Terumi has plenty of normals with decent reach though - 5c moves forward, 2b and 2C are both pretty decent range and that's in addition to the moves you mention. He might be more threatening up close, but that's true of almost the entire cast.

Terumi is top 3 in terms of run speed with Noel and Makoto, and Terumi and Plat both need to be within nose hair range to do their best work.  Plat does have exceptions due to her drive however.

Terumi is top 3 in terms of run speed with Noel and Makoto, and Terumi and Plat both need to be within nose hair range to do their best work.  Plat does have exceptions due to her drive however.

I'm going to call you on this, because it's just wrong. Noel has pretty average runspeed - her max is the same as Ragna's, and her initial value and acceleration are both high but not remarkable (and the differences between initial speed across characters are pretty trivial).  Bang has a faster initial dash and a faster max speed, though accelerates more slowly.  Tsubaki has a much higher max speed, comparable acceleration, and the same initial speed.

Noel is not in what I would call the top three, so putting Terumi up with her means nothing.

And again - pretty much everyone in this game needs to be in "nose range" to do their "best work" because that's how close you need to be to throw, and throw is a big part of most character's mixups.   It's not "best work" that determines whether a character is "close ranged" or not - it's how easily they can control the "5B" space and transition from there into closer ranges.   Terumi has perfectly good tools for this, and Platinum's aren't bad, especially compared to Makoto/Tsubaki or even Noel.

Terumi has a pretty hard time doing this. 5D and j.D aren't the solution to everything, especially when it comes to neutral monsters like jin

Terumi has a pretty hard time doing this. 5D and j.D aren't the solution to everything, especially when it comes to neutral monsters like jin

"Loses the midrange game to Jin" can't be the criteria for "close range character" either, or you're back to like, 90% of the cast being "close ranged." :P

Let's just finish this talk about Terumi with these facts:

1. He's as fast as Makoto.

2. He has the lowest execution level in the game.

3. He has almost no mixup without Heat.

4. He has good moves to do frametraps (2A, 5B, 5C, 3C, 6B) and some footsies (2B, 2C, 5D, j.B, j.D).

5. His pressure and mixups need to be done at very close range (with the exception of 5D and j.D but those most of the times end the pressure).

Edited by heavymetalmixer

If I play Jam from GG, and enjoy her. Is Makoto or Litchi a good fit for me? I like them both.

Makoto is spot on, her gameplan is pretty similar with the exception of having puffball and better mixup overall.

Makoto is spot on, her gameplan is pretty similar with the exception of having puffball and better mixup overall.

I figured. Thank you

Hello. I kinda I'm in a dilemmia. I want to play platinum because I actually legitimate fun playing this character. But, in the back of mind, I'm like,"There is no way I'm going to win alot with this character(especially if their god tier characters like Jin, kokonoe, etc)." Apparently, I forgot to have fun anymore...What should I do?

Hello. I kinda I'm in a dilemmia. I want to play platinum because I actually legitimate fun playing this character. But, in the back of mind, I'm like,"There is no way I'm going to win alot with this character(especially if their god tier characters like Jin, kokonoe, etc)." Apparently, I forgot to have fun anymore...What should I do?

Play her.  Tiers don't win matches, skill does.  Plat is pretty rare, and she frustrates players to no end.  As for the not winning part, Aru and Daiwa would like to have a word with you. 

She is by no means a bad character, she just has to work a bit harder to win, but that's the fun part.

Play her. Tiers don't win matches, skill does. Plat is pretty rare, and she frustrates players to no end. As for the not winning part, Aru and Daiwa would like to have a word with you.

She is by no means a bad character, she just has to work a bit harder to win, but that's the fun part.

Thanks for the advice. She has hectic and crazy playstyle which I love about her :3

Thanks for the advice. She has hectic and crazy playstyle which I love about her :3

And don't forget: She is ANNOYING, and making your opponent lose their concentration is part of the mind games.

Plat is really not bad at all; You're not handicapping yourself by picking her.  And yes, she's uncommon, and she has a TON of different things going on, so your opponent constantly needs to be tracking your item and what options that opens up.   Go for it.