shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Recommended Posts

On Thursday, March 03, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Shigekazu said:

I care about character, enjoyment, and im relatively new. But, i cant simply ignore that some people can just barely try with a top tier character, and Im throwing in all the work, and it doesnt show, and I get nothing from it.

 

If you are relatively new to the game, just choose the character you like the most :)

Tier lists don't have any meaning if you are just beginning as the difference in skill level between you and your opponent is waaaaaay more impactful on the match than the character you chose 

By the time you'll become competent, one of the following will be very likely:

-A balance patch is released

-A whole new game in the serie is released (rebalanced)

-Someone figures out how to properly use your character

 

So if you like Jam or any other character, stick with it and have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which character would be nice if I like being a hard hitting character in GG XRD? I like having very high damage and high vitallity even it might require to lose some mobility options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1.8.2016 at 3:29 AM, Shigekazu said:

Which character would be nice if I like being a hard hitting character in GG XRD? I like having very high damage and high vitallity even it might require to lose some mobility options?

Slayer, Potemkin or Kum.

Slayer doesn't have as much health the other two, but his Pilebunker combos (usually from counterhits) deal huge amounts of damage and stun. His movement is almost on the level of regular characters, but instead of run he has a teleport dash that goes through the opponent (and his backdash can be canceled into his special moves that retain the BD invincibility frames).

Potemkin is a grappler, but in the corner his 6K loops and Trishula explodes the opponent. Potemkin has the best health in the game, but can not run or airdash, which is the reason he suffers in many, many matchups.

Kum is about as big and healthy as Potemkin and her combos do lot of damage with few hits even in midscreen, but what makes her different is her regular movement (complete with an aerial special that changes her trajectory) and safe projectile okizeme that forces the opponent to guess few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played a little Accent Core on 360, but I want Revelator for PS4. What would be a good character to learn how the game as a whole works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I decided to pick up Revelator a few days back. 

I'm relatively new to the fighting game scene, only other game I played somewhat is BBCPEX where I played Rachel, mainly because I loved her personality and her mobility with her drive. Also her english voice was the best known to man but I digress.

I've already gone through the roster many times and looked through everyone that appealed to me. I really fell in love with Ramlethal, however with her weaknesses I feel uncomfortable dedicating time to her. The other two liked were Elphelt, due to her tools and versatility plus her range options (along with her being a very good character), and Millia due to her mobility and mixups. 
Both aren't as interesting to me from personality as Ram, however I guess I prefer the "image" of Millia more, with her her calm attitude and that beautiful hair. El's wife-theme doesn't hit home with me as much. I'm a terribly indecisive person so any feedback/help is appreciated. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. Im in a quite a dileminia. I want to play Bullet but apparently everyone is like she is too horrible and cant she beat any character. Im willing to work on matchups and  experience, but is ok to play bullet in CF nowadays or is it a bad idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shigekazu said:

Hello. Im in a quite a dileminia. I want to play Bullet but apparently everyone is like she is too horrible and cant she beat any character. Im willing to work on matchups and  experience, but is ok to play bullet in CF nowadays or is it a bad idea?

There isn't any character that's not viable so long as you're willing to put the work in, some characters may have easier matchups but that doesn't make said matchups unwinnable. If you really want to play Bullet, then you should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping to get back into Guilty Gear Xrd and Fighting Games in general, but would like some recommendations on where to start finding my main:

My best character in any fighter was Mortal Kombat (2011) Scorpion: the standing Vortex with potential mix-ups into another Vortex just appealed to my crazy side, and I often made good use of it when I connected (though, with any high-risk, high-reward 50/50 ... it hurt when it didn't work out).

Now I know GG is much different than MK9 (hell, MKX is much different than MK9), but I believe the Vortex with Frame Advantage is my favorite tool in any fighting game (on a related note, this is why I'm hyped about Grodd in Injustice 2). As such I'm looking for a character with good Pressure/Okizeme and good Mix-Ups/Cross-Ups, and I could skip on the Safety if needed.

I'm guessing Millia to some extent, but I'm open to others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.2.2017 at 0:18 AM, TakaDama said:

Hoping to get back into Guilty Gear Xrd and Fighting Games in general, but would like some recommendations on where to start finding my main:

My best character in any fighter was Mortal Kombat (2011) Scorpion: the standing Vortex with potential mix-ups into another Vortex just appealed to my crazy side, and I often made good use of it when I connected (though, with any high-risk, high-reward 50/50 ... it hurt when it didn't work out).

Now I know GG is much different than MK9 (hell, MKX is much different than MK9), but I believe the Vortex with Frame Advantage is my favorite tool in any fighting game (on a related note, this is why I'm hyped about Grodd in Injustice 2). As such I'm looking for a character with good Pressure/Okizeme and good Mix-Ups/Cross-Ups, and I could skip on the Safety if needed.

I'm guessing Millia to some extent, but I'm open to others.

Millia has very oppressive 50/50 okizeme with the Tandem Top (aka "Disc"), but her pressure in neutral isn't that good. She has good normals and very high mobility (fast run speed & an extra airdash) while suffering from bad defense modifier (ie. takes more damage) and lack of meterless reversal, but they are ultimately just tools for getting the knockdown for Tandem Top / Secret Garden okizeme.

Chipp has good okizeme with j.2K FD cancel and especially in corner with all the Wall Cling hijinks while also having better pressure than Millia with a great arrangement of tools (eg. DP, rekka, teleports, command grab, invisibility etc). He also has great mobility (fastest run speed & an extra jump) and very good normals, but he has the worst defense modifier in the game which makes winning with him consistently harder harder than many other characters.

Jam has great pressure with her freestyle gatlings and jump-cancelable 2D, and after charging one card she gets really good mixups (including the ridiculous IAD DP crossup) on both pressure and knockdown. She also has good mobility (fast run speed, second fastest walk speed, though no extra jumps / airdashes), but since she requires charging a card for her best tools (including the invuln DP), she is much more reliant on momentum and solid gameplan than the previously mentioned two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2017 at 3:56 AM, Penguinator said:

Millia has very oppressive 50/50 okizeme with the Tandem Top (aka "Disc"), but her pressure in neutral isn't that good. She has good normals and very high mobility (fast run speed & an extra airdash) while suffering from bad defense modifier (ie. takes more damage) and lack of meterless reversal, but they are ultimately just tools for getting the knockdown for Tandem Top / Secret Garden okizeme.

Chipp has good okizeme with j.2K FD cancel and especially in corner with all the Wall Cling hijinks while also having better pressure than Millia with a great arrangement of tools (eg. DP, rekka, teleports, command grab, invisibility etc). He also has great mobility (fastest run speed & an extra jump) and very good normals, but he has the worst defense modifier in the game which makes winning with him consistently harder harder than many other characters.

Jam has great pressure with her freestyle gatlings and jump-cancelable 2D, and after charging one card she gets really good mixups (including the ridiculous IAD DP crossup) on both pressure and knockdown. She also has good mobility (fast run speed, second fastest walk speed, though no extra jumps / airdashes), but since she requires charging a card for her best tools (including the invuln DP), she is much more reliant on momentum and solid gameplan than the previously mentioned two.

How to put this . . . I have a terrible understanding of the neutral game, hence why I prefer vortex-based characters such as MK9 Scorpion. From the three you've listed so far, Millia seems like the best fit for me.

Thanks Penguinator ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, a friend of mine is trying to get me to learn Rev 2 (I missed Rev 1), but I don't have much experience with airdash fighters. I played them, but never really stuck it out due to the lack of a community where I used to live and difficulty in finding consistent matches online. I'm also way more versed in 3d fighting games, adding to my difficulty in finding a main in this game.

Arcana Heart 3 LM: Yoriko (Flower Arcana)

Chaos Code: Hermes

Killer Instinct: Aganos

Nitroblasterz: Muramasa

Melty Blood: V-Sion (Crescent)

I like more mobile characters, as I hate feeling slow (except Aganos). I also enjoy using lesser played characters and hate charge motions. Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lisystrata said:

Hello, a friend of mine is trying to get me to learn Rev 2 (I missed Rev 1), but I don't have much experience with airdash fighters. I played them, but never really stuck it out due to the lack of a community where I used to live and difficulty in finding consistent matches online. I'm also way more versed in 3d fighting games, adding to my difficulty in finding a main in this game.

Arcana Heart 3 LM: Yoriko (Flower Arcana)

Chaos Code: Hermes

Killer Instinct: Aganos

Nitroblasterz: Muramasa

Melty Blood: V-Sion (Crescent)

I like more mobile characters, as I hate feeling slow (except Aganos). I also enjoy using lesser played characters and hate charge motions. Thanks in advance

There are three fast characters in this game: Millia, Chipp and Jam. Millia is the easiest and the Okizeme monster of the game, Chipp is more focused on having an outrageous neutral and not letting you breathe, and Jam is all about the damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, heavymetalmixer said:

There are three fast characters in this game: Millia, Chipp and Jam. Millia is the easiest and the Okizeme monster of the game, Chipp is more focused on having an outrageous neutral and not letting you breathe, and Jam is all about the damage.

 

I don't mind execution challenges and I can hit the Mishima EWGF and Akira's 1f knee in Virtua Fighter about 95% of the time, lol. Based on that description you gave, I should probably look at Millia since most of my 2d mains are all about setups. Is she used all the time?

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

    Hi there :) Like Lisystrata I don't have much experience with airdash fighters. I have played a lot of 2D fighting game but I have a lot of difficulties to take a main in this game ( characters are sooooo interesting !!! ) .
I hesitate between several characters : I-No , Jack-O , Ramlethal, Baiken . I love all their tools, but maybe there is one who is more comfortable in the GG series to begin with ?
I love character who can be versatile or be good to set-up high/low mix-up without being a "glass-canon" character ( like Gouki for exemple ) .
I love lessed played character too and not feel good with charge motion character.

Thank you all for your time :) Let's Rock !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Georg Prime said:

    Hi there :) Like Lisystrata I don't have much experience with airdash fighters. I have played a lot of 2D fighting game but I have a lot of difficulties to take a main in this game ( characters are sooooo interesting !!! ) .
I hesitate between several characters : I-No , Jack-O , Ramlethal, Baiken . I love all their tools, but maybe there is one who is more comfortable in the GG series to begin with ?
I love character who can be versatile or be good to set-up high/low mix-up without being a "glass-canon" character ( like Gouki for exemple ) .
I love lessed played character too and not feel good with charge motion character.

Thank you all for your time :) Let's Rock !!!

Is "tools" another word for "boobs and butts"?  :keke:

Anyway, welcome!  I'm new to the series too, been playing for just about 1.5 months, so my advice is not that of an expert. 

As for comfort, I presume that'd be personal preference, yeah?  How you like their fighting style, inputs, etc.  For instance, I like dual-maining and had it narrowed down to Ramlethal, Bedman, Haehyun, and Jack-O'.  I narrowed down Jack-O' (as much as I loved her) b/c her sweep input is different than everyone elses, and I like consistency between the characters I play.  I picked Ramlethal b/c I liked her combination attacks (something I'm used to from my time in NRS games).  Bedman vs Haehyun just came down to flavor preference.  I dislike DP inputs, so I was a bit reluctant to pick Haehyun, but after watching some vids, I learned you can be a good Haehyun player w/o using her DP.   But yeah, it came dow to a teenage girl controlling a buff old-man mech vs a teenage boy who's asleep on a mechanical, weaponized bed.  Both are bizarre and interesting concepts lol, but I just liked Haehyun as a character just a bit more. 

Imo, Jack-O' and Ram seem pretty versatile, Baiken seems decently versatile.  I-No seems to have good mixups.  They are all fairly weak on defense per http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGXRD-R2/System_Data, but I'd say I-No and Baiken seem to be the worst, although Baiken has really good Guts.  None of those characters have charge inputs, afaik.  I've read that's just Leo, Axl, Pot, Venom, and May. 

As for representation, i'm a PST player and in the PST and newbie rooms, I do see a lot of Ramlethal, some Baiken, a little bit of Jack-O', but rarely I-No. 

Anyway, I'd suggest looking at all of their individual pages from http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Guilty_Gear_Xrd_REV_2 to maybe get a better idea or more information for what you're looking for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dr. Cheesesteak said:

Is "tools" another word for "boobs and butts"?  :keke:

Anyway, welcome!  I'm new to the series too, been playing for just about 1.5 months, so my advice is not that of an expert. 

As for comfort, I presume that'd be personal preference, yeah?  How you like their fighting style, inputs, etc.  For instance, I like dual-maining and had it narrowed down to Ramlethal, Bedman, Haehyun, and Jack-O'.  I narrowed down Jack-O' (as much as I loved her) b/c her sweep input is different than everyone elses, and I like consistency between the characters I play.  I picked Ramlethal b/c I liked her combination attacks (something I'm used to from my time in NRS games).  Bedman vs Haehyun just came down to flavor preference.  I dislike DP inputs, so I was a bit reluctant to pick Haehyun, but after watching some vids, I learned you can be a good Haehyun player w/o using her DP.   But yeah, it came dow to a teenage girl controlling a buff old-man mech vs a teenage boy who's asleep on a mechanical, weaponized bed.  Both are bizarre and interesting concepts lol, but I just liked Haehyun as a character just a bit more. 

Imo, Jack-O' and Ram seem pretty versatile, Baiken seems decently versatile.  I-No seems to have good mixups.  They are all fairly weak on defense per http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGXRD-R2/System_Data, but I'd say I-No and Baiken seem to be the worst, although Baiken has really good Guts.  None of those characters have charge inputs, afaik.  I've read that's just Leo, Axl, Pot, Venom, and May. 

As for representation, i'm a PST player and in the PST and newbie rooms, I do see a lot of Ramlethal, some Baiken, a little bit of Jack-O', but rarely I-No. 

Anyway, I'd suggest looking at all of their individual pages from http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Guilty_Gear_Xrd_REV_2 to maybe get a better idea or more information for what you're looking for. 

HAHAHAHAHA not necessarily that kind of tools but it is a plus yeah :keke:

Yeah  I have personal perferences but they are large. In fact ine the SF series I played characters with very different timing ( like Makoto in 3.3 , Hugo, Gouken, Makoto in USF4 ) so sweep input or another timing will not be a problem. I have more difficulties with character like Haehyun and Slayer because of the normal you have to link and not gatling them so I find this less instinctive. I definitely love Ramlethal mix-up with her combination attacks ( I played Soulcalibur and Tekken where there is a lot of them ) .

I think if Jack-O and Ram are the most versatile and "better" in defense I will definitely give them a try, sources you give me are very usefull thanks !
If I-no is has great in mix-up has they notified I will definitely give her a chance as well !

I think I will loose social life in training to learn this game :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2017 at 5:35 AM, Georg Prime said:

    Hi there :) Like Lisystrata I don't have much experience with airdash fighters. I have played a lot of 2D fighting game but I have a lot of difficulties to take a main in this game ( characters are sooooo interesting !!! ) .
I hesitate between several characters : I-No , Jack-O , Ramlethal, Baiken . I love all their tools, but maybe there is one who is more comfortable in the GG series to begin with ?
I love character who can be versatile or be good to set-up high/low mix-up without being a "glass-canon" character ( like Gouki for exemple ) .
I love lessed played character too and not feel good with charge motion character.

Thank you all for your time :) Let's Rock !!!

Jack-O is pretty versatile: she has an invuln reversal (2D), a variety of strong normals, command throws (regular and super), and the whole servant system which can be used for both okizeme and zoning.

Ram and I-No aren't very versatile because their toolsets are designed for getting the knockdown and running mixups afterwards, former having midscreen combos that practically always carry to corner for sword setups and latter having the hoverdash that allows quick high-low mixups from any knockdown. Their only reliable reversals are supers, and I-No's isn't even throw invulnerable (unless you do the Burst version of it).

Not being "versatile" doesn't mean the character isn't viable in tournament play, it just means the character is more polarized (eg. good mixup but no defensive options, big damage but bad mobility, etc.) compared to an orthodox character like Ky who has a good set of normals, good DP and projectiles, safe projectile okizeme for mixups, decent movement, decent damage, etc, but isn't particularly great at any single area (which means you need to adapt more to how the opponent plays).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now