shtkn

Terminology Used on Dustloop Defined

What is "Special Cancel" ? Is it similar to Revolver action?

Yeah, you just use a special move to cancel a normal attack.

Can someone explain me what p1 and p2 in the frame data means?

There's a full, technical explanation of it HERE, but the layman's version is that P1 is the amount a move prorates by when it is the first move in a combo, and P2 is the amount a move prorates by ANYTIME it is used in a combo.

And yes, BOTH are applied to the first hit.

So if you have a move with 90 P1 and 92 P2 (a strong starter) your next move will do .9 * .92 = .828 times its normal damage. And lets say that next move has a P2 of 70. That means the third move will do .828 * .7 = .5796 times its normal damage.

Proration is complicated. The super short version is that the higher those numbers are, the 'better' the move is in terms of keeping a combo going, but P1 only applies to the first move in a combo. This is why comboing into Jayoku Houtenjin is better than just hitting with it 'raw' - it has a 50 P1 but a 94 P2. So for example, if you do Jayoku > Stuff, the stuff is only going to 47% of its normal damage (.5 * .94) but if you do 5B > Jayoku > Stuff the stuff will do .9 * .89 * .94 = 75.2% damage.

There's also other proration stuff like "same move proration" and "bonus proration" but I'll let you hit the Wiki for that. :P

Thanks for the explanation and the example. Let me see if I gather the enough courage to learn the mathematic stuff.

It's really not that important, unless you're really planning to try to develop your own combos, and even then it's basically just "high numbers = good". I really can't think of any reason you would ever really care enough to "do the math" on a combo unless you were away from the game and really wanted to figure out if something "should work". Otherwise, the Proration numbers are mostly interesting for "Okay, so my best starter is X" and "If possible, I should use 5A instead of 2A because it has a better P1" or "I really don't want to start with Y, but rather to combo into it" - which are all just looking at the numbers and understanding what they mean, rather than sitting down and doing a bunch of math.

FRC stands for false roman cancel. It's like a regular roman, but it only takes 25% meter to do as opposed to 50%, and it can only be done on specific moves at specific times. The FRC is super useful because you can use it to cancel certain moves on whiff (like Ky's projectiles).

It's the same input as a roman cancel. To check which moves have it, you can look at frame data, or go in training mode and wait for the input display bar to flash white/blue (I don't recall which).

OK so in the case of O-sol (witch is why i asked) i would just rapid after his gun blaze, DP, Rocket ect. right?

OK so in the case of O-sol (witch is why i asked) i would just rapid after his gun blaze, DP, Rocket ect. right?

Yes, you have about 2-4 frames during the animation of your special move where the RC will be blue instead of red and only cost 25% tension. That's how you know it was a successfully timed FRC. Not every move can be FRC'ed though, check the Wiki to find out specifics.

Perpetual amateur here. ^_^ A red beat is when you have a complete/proper combo that a character can't react to and a blue beat is when it's close enough to count as a combo, but a character has an opening to use a burst or FD to stop the combo, right? Also, what's the difference between blue beating and black beating?

Blue/black beating is the same thing. It means that the opponent had a chance to get out of the combo so you messed up the timing.

And the game informs you of this by turning the color of your combo counter blue instead of red, right? (I'd always thought that's how it worked or at least that's why it was called that.)

And the game informs you of this by turning the color of your combo counter blue instead of red, right? (I'd always thought that's how it worked or at least that's why it was called that.)

Yes, it also lists which hits had an escapeable gap in them underneath the hit counter.

Just curious, why does Persona use numbers as directionals? I'm totally used to d,b,f,u etc. Not numbers. It seems a lot more crazy but after looking over this, it honestly doesn't seem too hard to learn and understand. It's just a bit weird because like I said, I'm used to games where people would annotate with d,b,f,u lol.

Just curious, why does Persona use numbers as directionals? I'm totally used to d,b,f,u etc. Not numbers. It seems a lot more crazy but after looking over this, it honestly doesn't seem too hard to learn and understand. It's just a bit weird because like I said, I'm used to games where people would annotate with d,b,f,u lol.

Pretty much every air dasher community uses number notation, including ones in Japan. Also b and d are common normal inputs for buttons in air dashers (Blazblue for example).

Pretty much every air dasher community uses number notation, including ones in Japan. Also b and d are common normal inputs for buttons in air dashers (Blazblue for example).

Oh okay. This is the first "anime fighter" I am actually getting into so it is pretty new to me. Thank you for telling me that. Maybe opening up to this game will lead me to more like it, which I wouldn't mind. It is pretty fun already and I barely know combos lol.

Oh okay. This is the first "anime fighter" I am actually getting into so it is pretty new to me. Thank you for telling me that. Maybe opening up to this game will lead me to more like it, which I wouldn't mind. It is pretty fun already and I barely know combos lol.

Totally! Welcome to Dustloop btw, glad you're asking questions about the game.

Once you get used to numerical notation, you'll find it's a lot more logical and less messy than stuff like "cr.HP, QCF+MK" because the numbers are (almost) always directions and the letters are always commands. It allows you to read long lines of combos and understand them quickly.

Totally! Welcome to Dustloop btw, glad you're asking questions about the game.

Once you get used to numerical notation, you'll find it's a lot more logical and less messy than stuff like "cr.HP, QCF+MK" because the numbers are (almost) always directions and the letters are always commands. It allows you to read long lines of combos and understand them quickly.

Thanks. :)

And yeah. Although it seems a bit more confusing, of course because I'm new, it does seem a lot more thorough. And I definitely do not mind that.

What does the term "tick throw" mean? I've been looking through every terminology and notation entry I can find, but I haven't found that term yet(though it's entirely possible that I'm blind and just missed it).