shtkn

Terminology Used on Dustloop Defined

Tick Throw = doing a throw after a blocked attack, delaying it just enough so that it can hit (GG) or becomes a green throw (BB).

Could someone tell me what the guilty gear notations f.S and c.S mean?

for a lot of characters, their neutral slash (middle button, between kick and high slash) there are two different attacks depending on your proximity to the opponent. C. Is close, usually pressure and combo filler, and f. Which is far, usually for footsie battles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Holy crap idk why I didn't think of close and far, I had originally thought it was forward and crouch but those are notated by 6 and 2. Thanks for the info.

Yea don't worry bout it dude. I wondered the same thing untill I started playing sol and then it all clicked. Just remember that some characters (ex. Anji) have one 5 S. So its the same move no matter the range

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Hello! Not sure if this is a appropriate question for this thread but I didn't see this in the Wiki so I'm wondering if someone could define what's truly "safe" and "unsafe?" I'm familiar with the terms in general, but for this particular game, I'd like to know the numbers to know what deems a move to be safe or not. Using Tekken for example, a move that's +0 through -9 is considered safe while -10 and up is unsafe. Hopefully that clarifies my question.

I think, a move is considered "safe" if opponent can't punish you for that move - in each individual situation. For Example: If you attack your opponent with a move with -5 on block, and your opponent has a move with 4frame startup > so the move you use is unsafe on block. The term "safe" or "unsafe" not just according to static difference, but also with the position and status of you and your opponent. According to this, you can see that there's no completely "safe" move in every fighting game, even the fastest, having highest priority is unsafe on whiff and your opponent is right next to you

It depends on who you are fighting and your positioning. Fastest move in the game are throws. They happen instantly. So being at -1, or leaving a 1f gap, within someone's throw range means you are getting thrown. But everyone has different throw ranges. Likewise, everyone's "jabs" are different and might not even be their fastest move. Fastest move in the game, besides throws, is 2f startup, Sol's standing punch while in Dragon Install. Of course you don't have to worry about that if you're not fighting Sol. A handful of characters have 3f attacks. And then there's Instant Blocking, Faultless Defense, and Slashback, which all alter blockstun and positioning. See where I'm getting at?

In Tekken, nothing is faster than the standardized 10f jab. In Guilty Gear, there isn't a standard, you just gotta know who you're fighting, and then you still have to respond to how they defend. Even in Tekken, some moves are safe not because of static difference, but because they recover in crouching and avoid people's jabs, and so it depends on if your opponent's character has a fast enough mid/low. And then some moves are safe due to the pushback they cause. Even Tekken isn't as binary as you thought. Safe/unsafe is just whether you can be punished or not, but this depends on more than frames. A move that is unsafe, frame-wise, can sometimes be made safe under the right circumstances.

One concept that Tekken doesn't have is meaty, or hitting latter in a move's active frames. As far as I can tell, all moves in Tekken have only 1 active frame, which is why frame data is so easy to use in that game.

Thanks for the responses! Especially 4r5's detailed explanation. The part about Sol and throws reminds me of DOA where throwing can be used as punishing (As well as other fighters, I'm sure) and certain characters having unique speeds to their jabs, so this helps me understand the concept a bit more. Putting aside extra variables like IB, positioning, spacing and the like aside, would I be accurate in saying that the main thing to focus on when going over frame data for GG/BB/P4U is not only the - frames for moves, but a character's startup to see if it's fast enough to punish as well? (While taking into account the aforementioned specific scenarios and mechanics possibly affecting the move)

I'm new to guilty gear and I'm trying to learn testament combos but I'm having trouble reading combos can some one help Standing: f.S > 3H(2) > BL

Crouching: f.S > 6K > 6H

... > c.S > 5H > NC > P-skull

after  skimming through the thread I couldn't find anything that help my answer my question.

what does the c.S means? 

i see it a lot in the ky combos, like in the following combo.

5P > 5K > c.S > 6K > 236D > 236K

I read that C stands for cancels into itself, but that doesn't help me much.

notation for S is different because there are two ranges for the standing Slash. In this case it means "close Slash". f.S would mean "far Slash".

Excellent topic! There are a lot of words that i dont know it very well lol just curious but someone can tell me what "IAD" stands for? for example here: "It becomes calculating Wallslam height and IAD execution at a point.". 

At minimum altitude from the ground. While in the air, it can be done at an even lower altitude.

????

If it's an IAD, you can't already be airborne. The "instant" part means, essentially, "right after leaving the ground".

????

If it's an IAD, you can't already be airborne. The "instant" part means, essentially, "right after leaving the ground".

Not true. Almost every Millia air combo has j.D IAD in the air. She has 2 airdashes tough.

Not true. Almost every Millia air combo has j.D IAD in the air. She has 2 airdashes tough.

How is that an IAD? That's just j.D > Airdash?

in AC it was just an air dash cancel. she no longer has air dash cancel in xrd, so you need to jump cancel j.D into an air dash. so basically j.D > 956

How is that an IAD? That's just j.D > Airdash?

How is that not an IAD? All an IAD is that you dash the fastest moment you can after you execute a jump. Just like how in a delayed air dash, you wait a little after the jump to airdash. J.D> IAD is a thing because you don't just airdash the j.D with Millia. You have to jump cancel it first and then airdash as fast as possible so the combo doesn't drop. That is what makes it an IAD and not just a regular airdash.

Edit: also what Shtkn said helps a lot

in AC it was just an air dash cancel. she no longer has air dash cancel in xrd, so you need to jump cancel j.D into an air dash. so basically j.D > 956

Huh. Okay, that's weird.  Definitely a fringe case, but I guess that would be a legit use of an airborne IAD. 

Questions about frame data. What is the difference between start up and active frameS? I understand that active is amount of frames be for it hits. In my understanding if it's 4 the move will hit on the fourth frame. but how does this difference from start up?

Startup: Number of frames before the move becomes Active

Active: Number of frames the move can hit on (has an Active hitbox), 4 means it can hit anytime from frame 1 to 4 after Startup