shtkn

Terminology Used on Dustloop Defined

COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF TERMS ON THE WIKI

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Notation

Some simple ones:

WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN?

look at a numpad on a keyobard. Each number represents a direction so 6 is right and 8 is straight up. 5 would be neutral (not moving in any direction). 236A would be a street fighter styled fireball motion and pressing the A button.

WHAT'S A FRAME?

a frame is the smallest unit of time in a fighting game. Most fighting games run at 60 frames per second, so instead of using terms like 0.0125 seconds, we just say 1 frame. For example an attack that starts up in 12 frames means it will be active in 0.2 seconds.

WHAT ARE ALL THE ABBREVIATIONS/ LINGO?

read the conventions link. Here are a few common ones:

CH = counter hit

j = while jumping so j.2C = while jumping, press down + C

black beat/ blue beat = a combo that the opponent could have escaped out of if they had teched

hit confirm = a technique of only doing the rest of a combo if the first hit actually hits the opponent. Some of these can be quite hard.

whiff = an attack that completely misses the opponent. Imagine your attack hitting only the air.

cancel = performing a second attack while the first attack is still happening thereby canceling the animation of the first attack. There are very many types of cancels, and they are all used for various things.

link = a combo where you must wait for the first attack to recover completely before doing the second attack. Links typically take some time to do consistently, so keep on practicing!

gatling = revolver action = normal attacks that cancel into one another.

mixup = having the opportunity to attack the opponent in 2 or more ways at once without giving the opponent much time to react (high/low/crossup/throw).

crossup = jumping over the opponent and hitting them just as the opponent's character turns around. This is useful as it's difficult to block and stops the opponent from doing DPs (because their inputs will be reversed when you cross them up).

tiger knee = the act of doing an air attack very low to the ground. Comes from the command for Sagat's Tiger Knee attack in Street Fighter 2. EX: doing Jin's j.236C by pressing 2369C.

chicken block = jumping into the air and blocking rather than standing on teh ground and being forced to guess a high-low mixup.

MORE ABBREVIATIONS

DP = dragon punch. Refers to attacks whose utility is similar Ryu's dragon punch from street fighter. This does not mean that the motion to perform the move needs to be the same.

SRK = shoryuken = dragon punch

FD = faultless defense = barrier block. A type of blocking where you negate chip damage and increase pushback at the cost of meter.

IB = instant block. Blocking just before an attack strikes you makes you flash white, recover faster, etc.

FC = fatal counter. Blazblue specific mechanic for making all subsequent attacks in a combo deal more hitstun

IK = instant kill. Guilty Gear specific mechanic for instant killing an opponent. Mostly for show.

OCV = one character victory. Used in team battles where one player defeats the entire opposing team.

Delete this and append 'Grounded' somewhere. :china:

shtkn edit:

Grounded means you must air barrier / air fd to block this attack in the air. On the ground, any block would work.

some of the things I was looking for weren't here, like pressure-strings. I found cross-up, which, like I thought was something I knew, but hadn't associated with a word. Anyway, also, I am confused by 5D, 6C. I only play GG for xbox, and so far, BB CT for 360, so, as I assume this applies to arcade sticks? I really should know it, anyone able to help with that. i'm pretty new to taking fighting games this seriously.

I am confused by 5D, 6C.

the numbers represent a direction.

6 being foward, 4 being back, 2 down, etc. 5 means no directional input. When you see "A, B, C, D" it represents a button to push.

A=Weak

B=Medium

C=Strong

D=Drive

On your Xbox controller A=X, B=Y, C=B, and D=A

i''m pretty sure that's not what he's asking...

he's asking if numpad notation applise to both arcade controls and console pads. The answer is yes.

If you were asking what the numpads mean... well there's your answer. They were also explain in EVERY SINGLE ONE of the links in the first post (except the shoryuken glossary).

My bad, sorry.

Since I'm here I might as well ask about one. I've seen the term 'gatling' used a couple times, but was unable to find it in any of those links. What exactly does that term mean when it comes to fighting games?

the numbers represent a direction.

6 being foward, 4 being back, 2 down, etc. 5 means no directional input. When you see "A, B, C, D" it represents a button to push.

A=Weak

B=Medium

C=Strong

D=Drive

On your Xbox controller A=X, B=Y, C=B, and D=A

I see, I eliminated that theory based on 5 being no movement, so I thought, "that can't be it then." But that is probably better than just saying D, thanks. Pressure Strings?

Hi,

can somebody tell me please what is ment by "dj" in combo lists?

Like [...] ->5B->jc->jB->dj->jB->[...]

I thought it was something like jumpcancel. But what is the difference between "jc" and "dj" then?

I searched for some time now, but couldn´t find out ._.

This one gets asked alot actually.

"dj" or "djc" in combo notation usually refers to double jump canceling, or canceling an air normal into another jump, such as Ragna's j.c, j.d, dj, j.c, j.d ect.

"sj.*" means to superjump.

Also, for Ragna and Jin combos if you run into dc, DC, or [DC] it means Dash Cancel, or canceling a normal with a dash.

The only other weird one I can think of at the moment is if you're looking at Sol's Sidewinder Loops, the notation nj. is used in a few. This stands for Neutral jump.

Any other weird notations should be cleared up at the top of a character's combo list such as move nicknames (BBU, BK, VSD) or weird character specific commands (Carl and Ara's negative edge inputs are usually shown as ]D[ for example).

EDIT: There is ONE MORE I thought of that could possibly confuse a new player. If "CH" preceeds the notation, It means that the combo can only be initiated if the leading move is a counterhit. Ex. Jin's CH 5c,6c [DC] 5c, ect.

Hope that cleared everything up. :)

6C>JC(jc)>JC>BE

When referring to this combo for Ragna, what does it mean I should do in the parenthesis? Does it mean I jump cancel after JC? Also, are parenthesis only used to refer to cancels like dash cancels?

That's pretty terrible formatting. :v:

6C > jc.C > jc.C > 214C

Forward C, jump cancel C, jump cancel C, Belial Edge.

That's pretty terrible formatting. :v:

6C > jc.C > jc.C > 214C

Forward C, jump cancel C, jump cancel C, Belial Edge.

well yours weren't so good either

the standard is usually something like

6C > jc> j.C> jc> dj.C> 214C

Seems like a waste of space to have jump cancel as a separate input, not to mention repetitive. And since double-jump C isn't actually a different attack than jump C, the dj seems unnecessary as well.

I've been a lurking for a while but I made an account to reply to this.

Seems like a waste of space to have jump cancel as a separate input, not to mention repetitive. And since double-jump C isn't actually a different attack than jump C, the dj seems unnecessary as well.

Sure, I agree about dj.C being kinda weird, but the jump cancel, no, that can't be a waste of space.

Otherwise... I mean the question is simple: how would you tell someone where the jump is?

Take any Jin combo with his air BnB - j.C, j.2C, j.2C... sometimes you can get another j.C in there; there's even one with three j.2Cs and a j.D.

If I just listed those, how do you know where to jump? Sure, you could try it and figure it out on your own... but that defeats the point of notation.

*~*~*~

Anyway, it's perhaps no surprise the first post I make is about notation, as I have come with thoughts that the negative edge notation from other games is insufficient to describe Arakune combos. I'll be seeing what I can do about that in Arakune boards.

Hello.

It would be j.C j.2C jc.2C

Jump C, jump 2C, jump cancel 2C.

That said, I've acquiesced and have started using JC as a separate input. It actually does make more sense that way.

Now if they'd just publish the freaking guide...

If I just listed those, how do you know where to jump? Sure, you could try it and figure it out on your own... but that defeats the point of notation.

C moves (for example) don't self gatling, so the JC becomes superslous, since you have to jump, however if it's like JA>JA>JA>JA>etc, then the JC is probably necessary, just make sure they know it's jump cancel and not JC, so like J-C