shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

This thread gets made every two weeks, so I'll save you guys the trouble and make one for you.
Guilty Gear button Layout (for XX, #R, Slash, and AC)
:k::s::h:
:p::n::du:

:p: = punch, :k: = kick, :s: = slash, :h: = heavy slash, :du: = dust, :n: = nothing

BlazBlue button layout
Type A:
:bbt::cbt::dbt:
:abt::n:  :n: 

Type B:
:abt::bbt::cbt:
:dbt::n: :n: 
:abt: = A, :bbt: = B, etc, :n: = nothing
In the arcades, you pick either one of the configurations before you pick your character. In CS there is also an easy mode option, but no one who plays seriously uses it.

Persona button layout:

:abt:  :cbt:  

:bbt:  :dbt:

for all games, the taunt/respect doesn't have a real defined location, since it varies depending on what type of arcade cabinet you play on. So people who play on consoles with an arcade stick just put taunt/respect anywhere or don't even assign it to a button if they know they don't ever want to press it on accident.

General advice:
1. go into training mode and practice combos, setups, moving around (running, instant air dashing, super jumping, etc)
2. if you're having problems doing certain things (like say performing a :f::d::df: motion), then set training mode to show your inputs (trust me it's there) and look at what you're doing wrong. Then practice doing the motion correctly.
3. PRACTICE. PLAY OTHER PEOPLE. DON'T GIVE UP

Buying a Joystick:
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3428
shoryuken.com also has a lot of resources involving stick buying/building/modding.

Holding a Joystick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsME37GrqjY
this isn't an definitive guide, it just shows some common ways people hold joysticks. Find (or develop) a way to grip the joystick that's comfortable and usable for you.

Ultimate Japanese Balltop Holding Guide(Useful reference for grips):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsME37GrqjY

Eventhubs' Tips On Switching From Pad To Stick:

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/08/tips-switching-pad-joystick/

SRK Post on Grips/Developing Execution:

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=223146

Personally, i bought a stick and it seems completely unneccessary, I can use it, but the d-pad on a ps3 controller works just fine. I guess it's a matter of training though.

I would rather not see a post like this on here. Arcade sticks are useful and make your execution and reactions much more precise. It takes time to learn it, so if this is your first fighting game you won't be noticing the difference in an Arcade stick vs a Dpad.

As it's been said before, it'll take roughly 6 months to a year to be used to an Arcade stick (depending how often you can play). Once you pick up an arcade stick, don't go back to Dpads. Ever.

I got a fightstick (SE moded with sanwa parts) and got used to it p.quickly despite playing only on the dpad before. Only problem so far is with the diagonals, noticed it while playing tekken that has some 23/12 or 89 inputs.

I got a fightstick (SE moded with sanwa parts) and got used to it p.quickly despite playing only on the dpad before. Only problem so far is with the diagonals, noticed it while playing tekken that has some 23/12 or 89 inputs.

So... you're not used to using an arcade stick then? :v:

So... you're not used to using an arcade stick then? :v:

haha, well yeah, not 100% i guess.. like i said, i only noticed while playing tekken or rufus in sf4 (doing his dive kicks). I play dhalsim / sakura so it didn't affect me until now. Other than that it was a pretty smooth transition.

Good shit. I decided that I'm going to start playing Continuum Shift every other weekend or so at Chinatown Fair and since I got my ass kicked from inexperience with an arcade stick now seems like the perfect time to invest in one. I made note of a lot of grip styles and whatnot from these videos and it all looks really useful. You never cease to impress me DL. :3

I think I could probably adapt to the stick well enough... maybe... but in all honestly I think I would have more trouble with the buttons... I know I'll try to do C and do B and will then commit sepuku. but I'm used to having L2 for barrier and R1 for grab and since I have 5 fingers and I need 6... so in short is adapting to the buttons hard?

I think I could probably adapt to the stick well enough... maybe... but in all honestly I think I would have more trouble with the buttons... I know I'll try to do C and do B and will then commit sepuku. but I'm used to having L2 for barrier and R1 for grab and since I have 5 fingers and I need 6...

so in short is adapting to the buttons hard?

You could also try using them as intended. They're a lot easier to do than with controller buttons. It also helps if you're going to go to an arcade or something.

If you really need them, you could still bind them... I'm pretty sure that getting used to the joystick is harder than getting used to the button placements even with the bindings. You're going to be shifting your hand a bit for the buttons anyway. They're not always gonna be on the same place.

BB only needs 4 fingers in the same place. Barrier and throwing is intuitive. You'll know once you try it.

It's been about 2 weeks for me since I got my first stick and I'm still doing somewhat terrible. I'm alright, but nowhere near how I am with the pad so far. I heard everything from a month, 2-3 months, or a year to get really adjusted to the stick. But so far, I think I'm on the right track.

Practice, practice, practice. It actually helps. Seriously.

This. The first two weeks with my stick were atrocious. I was so tempted just to go back to my 360 analog stick. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. Still not the best at 623 motions (mainly cause I don't play a character that has a DP) but besides that everything is much more accurate.

This. The first two weeks with my stick were atrocious. I was so tempted just to go back to my 360 analog stick. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. Still not the best at 623 motions (mainly cause I don't play a character that has a DP) but besides that everything is much more accurate.

Same, and doing 623 motions for my character(s) is vital. :( I'm slowly improving though. So far, I can do TK'd motions and quarter circles much easier. And it's fun to use the stick, even though I suck with it so far.

Tip: Since you probably have a square gate, you should really feel for those corners. For example, on a quarter circle motion you should feel yourself move past the corner and here audible clicks for each of the three positions. For DP motion, it will feel very rigid, a lot like you are drawing the bottom half of a 'Z' with your stick.

It sounds like you're telling him to ride the gates almost, which is not something that's recommended or necessary.

No, but when you're learning you really need to feel around. As you get good, the motions become second nature and you will naturally ride the gates less. The biggest problem in switching is how different some motions feel on a stick. I was attempting to illustrate what it should feel like when you do it right. You are correct though, riding the gate adds execution time, so it's best not to, you just have learn to use the stick first.

I think there's still quite a large misunderstanding about "being used to a stick". When this is said, it means you're fluent in all forms and types of fighting games along with their mechanics. These would include plinking, negative edge, buffering, etc, along with being able to do a large variety of combos from different cast members. You're really not going to have many specifics down from only 3 days =/

Learn to do Nu's TK saber feint (2147D~C) and see if you can get that 5 times in a row without pausing. Once you can do that, do it 10 times. TKing isn't usable to all characters, but it's still used in several of the cast members (Ragna, Jin, Nu). Not to mention, TKing is viable throughout many other fighting games.

Another drill to practice is hit confirming. Timing with a stick is different than with a pad since you're using fingers instead of just your thumb. I would recommend using SF4 for this because of tick throws and generally simplier combos. See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMboPnznJc

I was wondering what the difference between sanwa and seimitsu push buttons are? It seems majority of stick users go with sanwa, why? My bad if this isn't really the right thread to ask my question, but I found it more convenient than creating a new thread over a small question.

Sanwa are generally more durable and have better sensitivity. Arcade sticks need to take a beating since they're suppose to last you a long while.