shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

The SE Sticks use generic MadCatz buttons last I remember. Just hit up lizardlick.com and throw some Sanwas (or Seimitsu) in it. It's very easy and you can find guides on youtube of how to take apart a stick. The MadCatz ones are all quick release cables. Just pull the two cables off the back of the button, pop the button out, pop the new one in, connect the two cables, done.

Thanks for the help.

I'll worry about trying to fix it over the summer (currently broke atm, and I'm not in any hurry to beg for cash), but I'll use this info as reference.

Now i have a question, is there any differences between having your fightstick set to dpad or left thumbstick for the joystick ?

Not exactly.

D-Pad does basically what LS does, except you can navigate menus with D-Pad.

I just leave my stick on D-Pad for that reason alone. (have no idea why anyone would use the RS option, 'cuz that does literally nothing in fighters)

Setting it to LS usually causes it to repeat/hold directional inputs. You should leave it on dpad at all times, there is zero reason to set it to anything else.

Setting it to LS usually causes it to repeat/hold directional inputs. You should leave it on dpad at all times, there is zero reason to set it to anything else.

Actually I played through Bayonetta with it on LS lol.

Actually I played through Bayonetta with it on LS lol.

...Best use of a fightstick ever?

Actually, I had no idea you could even use the stick for anything not a fighting game. >_>

...Best use of a fightstick ever?

Actually, I had no idea you could even use the stick for anything not a fighting game. >_>

I use it for shmups and other arcade games that would have used it generally...

The thing being that the poster above me used his stick to play Bayonetta, which I didn't even think was possible, seeing as Bayonetta is not a game you would normally play on the stick.

I see your point though.

How much punishments can sticks take? I let one of my masher friends try it, BIG MISTAKE, when he was done the stick was actually crooked and not on neutral anymore. It just kept registering as pushing forward when you let it go.

However after I unplugged and straightened out it seems to be working fine now. But I'm not sure if it's permanently damaged now or if it can just shrug off that kind of thing.

Also I totally suck at doing qcfx2 for specials like Magna Tech Wheel or Blood Kain, I'll almost always get Death Spike instead. I can do it on a pad 100% though.

Sounds like a terrible friend.

I have ordered A HRAP3 Pro SA edition >.> Anybody has this model?

I have one. Favorite stick ever. You win, good sir.

is there a good 360 to ps2 converter?

i have a TE

Sadly nothing like that exists, best thing you can do is dual mod it with a MCthullu and an Imp board and use an RJ45 mod for multiple controller cables.

Be careful lest you make your TE board nice and crispy with that soldering iron

It's entirely personal preference. You'll encounter square gate most often, so you're better off at least getting used to it in case you need to borrow a stick or play at a cab. I'm afraid I couldn't tell you the pros and cons of each type, though.

octagon kills your diagonals and it's really annoying to have the gate guide every directional input

square is much smoother, anyone who says otherwise simply isn't used to it; it's why virtually every fighting game cabinet in japan uses them.

I use layout B when I play BB, is it better to use my pointer finger or thumb to hit D? To be more specific I'm using Litchi and Arakune.

Any tips on dashing? Been practicing with my new stick and finally got DP motion down, but now dashing is my new enemy; I try to dash up and do an attack or for a combo and my char just stands there. =( It's mostly doing it on the right side that gives me problems. Anything to it other than grinding training mode?

I own a stick myself and I can tell you that you gotta practice that dash until it becomes second nature on stick.

That isn't the answer you're looking for, though, so it can be one of 2 things:

1: Your grip on the stick is either awkward or all wrong. In that case, find another grip until you get one that suits you.

2: You're not going to neutral when you do the dash motion. It's normal when you start out on stick. The trick to it is not to rush the dash motion out, but to do the first part of the dash, let the stick spring back into its neutral position, then input the second motion to the dash.

Should look like this in numpad format if you're confused: 656.

Lets Talk about in the Case of Playing GG/BB type Games. Recently, I have been unhappy with the performance of my Stick, then I learned about the Restrictor Plate Piece. After Learning that my SF4: TE stick has a 4 way Restriction Gate (Square) as opposed to the 8 Way Gate (octogon). I Began to Question where the Advantage lies in having a Four way Restriction as Opposed to an eight Way.

Also Which Restriction is more Commonly Used in BB/GG Cabinets and Overall by the BB comunity.

I ask this, because I simply have trouble consistantly getting on reaction 236236 motions, which should be cake, but, it is not the way i roll my hand but simply the way the stick registers my inputs (to get a 236236 i am usually inputing a 123612369 to get the input)

Also, i've noticed this effects Instant Blocking H-L-H mix ups, and setting up IB-720's because Points will get skipped.

Now I will Also say i Changed Grip Styles Recently, from the Normal Monkey Grip, to more of the Wine glass type Grip.

(Mostly due to my Return to playing Shim in SSF4.) Which made these things notable to me.

It also seems to me, that having to play like this makes me over compenstate for alot of moves, making me weak when suddenly Changing sides on the screen, then trying to combo or Instant Block.

I usually dont ride the gate, however for things like 360's and 720's you are basically riding the gate 100% of the time.

I suppose I am saying. I want to Optimise my Gameplay, However I want to also steadily increasing my skill, I also, want to characters with more Movement Options, Mechanics. So i need some honest opinions, Honest Ideas and Suggestions.

but mostly I am interested in hearing about what kind of Gate. and is it possible for your Gate to shift out of place?

Because lately i've been feeling like my Gate isnt A Square, but a Diamond.