shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

Ok I have 2 qustions.

1. Is it ok to use your index finger,middle, and ring finger for ssf4. I assined them to each bottem. Ex. Ring= LP/LK , Middle=MP/MK , and Index= HP/HK

2. In blaze blue I use the type b format and i use carl,ark,and haz so i was wondering if i should us my tumb for the drive

Square gate is most common.

Square gate is most common, this i understand.

But are their any kind of advantages to the Square gate as opposed to the american octogon gate?

I noticed there is less space in a Octogon than in the square, but does that add precision or make complex motions harder?

Any added information, opinions, or data would be helpful.

square vs octagon is mostly preference, but be warned that most arcades are square

Just get a square gate. They are the most common. If you need to play on someone else's stick, it's probably going to be a square gate. If you're at an arcade, it's probably a square gate. If you need replacement parts, square gates are easiest to find. There is no scientific study on gates and shit. People who don't like square gates don't like them 'cause for one reason or another their time was spent on other gates and they don't want to start all over and learn a new gate type from scratch.

And if you want to optimize your gameplay, then practice.

Or use a keyboard. Set your directions along something like A W E R, so that you have a finger for each direction. Then do the same for the buttons. You'll be popping standing 720's and piano'ing fierce electrics like a pro. A hadoken is a four letter word. A 360 is just a five letter word. It's like, can you type fast? Then you can execute fast too! The only problem is you'll need to make a custom keyboard to play on 360/ps3. Here's a guy who doesn't even use the optimal keyboard layout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzGDt-W3bgw

Or use a keyboard. Set your directions along something like A W E R, so that you have a finger for each direction. Then do the same for the buttons. You'll be popping standing 720's and piano'ing fierce electrics like a pro. A hadoken is a four letter word. A 360 is just a five letter word. It's like, can you type fast? Then you can execute fast too! The only problem is you'll need to make a custom keyboard to play on 360/ps3. Here's a guy who doesn't even use the optimal keyboard layout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzGDt-W3bgw

Type Fighter 3: third shift.

I've had my HRAP EX for nine months and it gives me "Please reconnect controller" messages all the time. I opened the stick and the USB-to-PCB connection feels tight and secure but just now after pseudo-assembling the stick to test it again "down" isn't a usable direction anymore. Does this sound like a PCB issue?

I might as well post it here.....Does Stick art have to make sense to what game your playing? like Sol Stick art to GG, Tao to BB, etc etc....

I might as well post it here.....Does Stick art have to make sense to what game your playing? like Sol Stick art to GG, Tao to BB, etc etc....

nah u get stick art of w/e u want. Its your stick after all :3

My stick came broken....T___T. Joystick(Sanwa part) lies flat on the base. Some black thing is blocking me from accessing the wires....

======================================================

0715001130.jpg

0715001012.jpg

ignore the fact its a HRAP3 >_>

My stick came broken....T___T. Joystick(Sanwa part) lies flat on the base. Some black thing is blocking me from accessing the wires....

Pictures?

I'll show you my bb stick in a few.

Domethieus: you also need to unscrew the top plate. It's been years since i owned a hrap so i don't remember whether hte screws for it are on the face of the stick or inside the area you took a picture of.

In that picture of the stick facing down, the screws for the face plate are visible. there are 6, if I recall, around that casing. Unscrew them from the back, and take the plate off of the front. Your mounting plate is probably not attached/broken, which would make it sink in like that. The mounting plate makes sure to hold your stick at the correct height, and is bolted to the face plate from the underside. If it's not attached, your balltop is the only thing holding your stick from falling into the case. Open it up. Take more pics if you're confused. :]

I don't know where to post this but I need artwork for my se fightstick. I would prefer to use art with my mains(in my sig). if you find or make the art work pm it to me. thank you

Did you take apart the stick, or was it like that when you opened it?

I can teach you how to put it back together, that's pretty easy.

It looks like it's mounted correctly, is the shaft still SUPER LOW when you turn over the faceplate?

EDIT- That black part on the stick.. the black plastic. should be like. a square. am I trippin, or is it mangled/shaped weird?

THe base looks like it snapped, the pivot and washer shouldn't be exposed like that. That JLF might be fubar'd

Hey all! o/ Got a newbie question for you =)

How well do you grade the X-Arcade Dual Tankstick and Namco's PS2 Tekken 3 stick? I'm not asking because I want to buy them, but because they've been in my possession for years (~3 for the tankstick and 6+ for the Namco stick).

The reason I'm asking what you guys think about the sticks, is that the sticks I already have cost a bunch of cash, so a new stick would have to be a great upgrade for me to buy it. Of course, these sticks have definitely already worked their money in "quarters" (half euros actually, since 2003 :S ) , even though I never went hardcore on them :P

In case you're wondering what, when, why and how here's the back story. If not, just don't read it :P

The Story

Tekken 3 was the first fighter I tried back when I was ~12 years old. It was love at first sight and since then I've always enjoyed fighters in general. Sadly, I didn't have much competition where I lived. Scrubby though I was, people still didn't care much, if at all, to learn the game, so they'd lose and soon no one would play me =( I'd still occasionally buy fighters and just play with the computer or use players I didn't know when friends wanted to play me. My collection includes SFA3 and Tekken 3 among classics as well as obscure titles like Evil Zone and Bloody Roar =P

Fast forward to 6 years ago, when I moved to a city and found some new friends, which raised my hopes and gave me incentive to get Tekken Tag and get better overall. At the same time, influenced by some online reading, I kind of "saw the light" and decided a stick is how I should be playing. Yup, I didn't care if people could wipe the floor with my face using a bare cable and their tongue as a conductor --it'd be stick all the way for me! However, my new found friends lost interest quite fast, so I didn't have time to get as good on that stick as I was on pad before I lost interest myself, started World of Warcraft, neglected my studies and overall destroyed my life. Just kidding :P

Somehow, one day the videogame gods smiled to me and I managed to convince my RPG-only gamer of a best friend to give fighters a second chance --he always found DP, QCF and HCF motions scary-- taking advantage of GG's anime-ness and his love for Japanese art. For a time we both played GG and Blazblue on PSP and both being scrubby players, had fun. But then I got Blazblue on my PS3 and wanted to play "right" again >.> In the past I had gotten the X Arcade Tankstick so that I could play Metal Slug, Alien VS Predator, Punisher, Final Fight etc. on MAME32 with a bunch of friends, so the sticks where already there y' know?

My best friend to this day refuses to play stick, enjoying my "handicap" and his increased win/loss ratio =P At least I have a rival =) Then again, I don't think I care, even if at some point he too gives up (highly unlikely). Right now I'm looking ahead into the future, when Greece will finally have the high speed internet needed for good netplay. It doesn't matter if I have to wait a few years --Blazblue is highly enjoyable and I don't mind just practicing and becoming... well, more than a scrub xD

That's the whole story! Thanks for reading... if you did :P

snip

The X-Arcade is passable with Happ parts and it's a bit of a bitch to convert it into one.

The Namco stick is an excellent small form stick. If you're comfortable with it, there's really no reason for you to get a new stick unless it's for another console. Even then, there are PS1/2 converters for almost every console and those may be a better investment for you.

Its....broken from what I can tell....and it was already like that when I took it apart

^

The black part

Ok, so now you've got a problem. It was already like that, meaning get an exchange.

But only problem is.. if you removed any sticker/label over any screw/holding anything in place, you've voided your warranty.

I'll look at home for extra pieces. I can't promise I have any, but I'll look. :]

(you DO want to keep thinking of solutions, since I may not be able to help.)

Hey, I have a question. I just got my first stick this week; it's the Round 2 TE. Anyway, I suppose I'm... passable at the moment. 9-1 matchups against my friends have become 5-5, but since it's the first week, I think I'm doing ok. Anyway, a recurring problem I'm having is that, well, is it just the way I'm using the stick or is it slightly slower than a pad? For instance, backdashing: isn't it faster to tap a button twice than it is to move the stick, let it reset to neutral, then move it again? I feel like I'm reacting as I should be, but the actual execution is taking too long. Is this something I should get used to, or am I just not executing fast enough, in fear of breaking my stick?