shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

I'm fairly sure that it's just you.

Believe it or not, sticks can take a good beating, and you got a good stick from the looks of it, so there's no need to take it easy with the joystick, or the buttons for that matter.

Its only your first week. Give yourself more time to get adjusted to it and practice. It'll come in handy. Pad to Stick takes a while

Do you have the switch on "DP" (dpad)?

It's something you'll get used to and start doing faster, especially once you get a feel for how far from neutral you actually have to go to activate a given microswitch - it's a lot shorter of a distance than from neutral to the gate.

I'm fairly sure that it's just you.

Believe it or not, sticks can take a good beating, and you got a good stick from the looks of it, so there's no need to take it easy with the joystick, or the buttons for that matter.

Haha, ok. If my stick snaps, I'm coming for you.

Its only your first week. Give yourself more time to get adjusted to it and practice. It'll come in handy. Pad to Stick takes a while

Yeah, I'm in no rush. It's just sad watching my win rate kill itself before my eyes.

Do you have the switch on "DP" (dpad)?

It's something you'll get used to and start doing faster, especially once you get a feel for how far from neutral you actually have to go to activate a given microswitch - it's a lot shorter of a distance than from neutral to the gate.

Yeah, it's on d-pad. I realized not to set these things to LS since I was using my Fightpad.

Speaking of gates, can 720s be done efficiently without riding the gate at all? Is there some technique or any words of wisdom that I could benefit from? I've been trying to rotate the stick slowly just to get a feel and my hand jiggles too much. I feel like if I could get it without riding the gate, my 720 could be executed a lot faster. As of now, I can only do empty jump 720 and buffering from 236B as Tager, but both are kinda gimmicky. I'm at like 50% success rate with 236A and 5B buffering. Wakeups are a pain too. Also, I was wondering how much benefit he gets from stick in the first place... I mean, no negative edging, no weird button combos that involve contorting your hand on a pad, and no crazy directional inputs.

Thanks for the input everyone! Hopefully, I don't end up pulling my hair out/breaking my stick/killing myself in the process.

for whoever had that mangled up piece of a JLF, all you need is a new base. I think LL sold bases before but I don't think they do anymore

If you guys are having trouble holding arcade stick. I think you might want to understand first is YOU NEED TO LET YOUR MUSCLES IN HAND BUILD UP. If it's your first time ever playing with stick.

1. I recommend understanding movements of fighting game moves. What do you mean you ask. Practice doing movements like hadoken, shoryuken, and so on.

2. Learn simple combos. You need to work on a little of executions. For example in TvC a basic combo would be 5A 5B 5C hurricane kick © shinku Hadoken (super). Practice simple combo until it's perfect.

3. Play against people better than you. If your consist with your play with arcade stick you will improve greatly, but if your not don't worry you will improve.

Remember it takes time. I hoped I helped.

As someone who started playing on a stick some 2-3 weeks ago. I've had a lot of trouble with rapid inputs such as air double quarter circle supers in combo or dashing backwards on reaction. Does anyone have any tips on how to consistently manage them? When Dashing backwards in training, it looks like there's a small moment where the character walks backwards before dashing. Am I pressing 44 too slowly?

I'm having sort of the same problems as Penguinizer. Forward dashing usually comes out pretty well for me unless the match gets hectic and I become inaccurate. It seems sometimes I'm not letting the stick get to neutral (from the looks of the input display). Back-stepping seems to be my weakness (on the 1p side). Usually my back-step just ends up a backwards walk. IAD I've got down pat though, most likely because the inputs are simple enough not to mess up. I've tried IADing with a octo-gate and a square and I'm pretty consistent with both. Square is easier to find the diagonals but I feel more comfortable with an octo-gate.

@Penguinizer Are you using a square or octagonal gate when doing double quarter circles. My problem with square is I get hung up on it, where I'm not at 4 but at 1 (when compared to the numb pad). It thinks its because the throw is much shorter on a square than an octo. On an octo the throw is longer but i don't seem to get hung up on a direction.

Everything aside my real question is does anyone have any tips on being more accurate with back-stepping and forward dashing? Should I mod to decrease my throw? Or just try to strengthen up my hand?

Practice.

You don't need fancy mods on your stick to make yourself able to backdash and run/dash forward more consistently, everything is practice.

Try testing yourself to do backdash/forward dash consistently by setting a goal to reach for, like 10 consecutive backdashes on both sides, especially your weak side, until you find that it comes naturally to you.

Just to confirm before I spend any money. The Chimp board makes it so you can solder it to your TE PCB, and then it will automatically detect when it's plugged into a ps3, 360, or PC and act accordingly. I'd be following this soldering guide, if that makes any difference.

http://www.donovanmyers.com/2010/02/dual-mod-a-mad-catz-fightstick-tournament-edition-using-toodles-chimp/

try this instead cake, less soldering involved

edit - less soldering if you have screw down terminals but generally less soldering when it comes to touching the TE PCB so less chance of fucking up and frying your pcb

http://www.donovanmyers.com/2010/02/dual-mod-a-mad-catz-fightstick-tournament-edition-using-toodles-chimp/

try this instead cake, less soldering involved

edit - less soldering if you have screw down terminals but generally less soldering when it comes to touching the TE PCB so less chance of fucking up and frying your pcb

That's.... really confusing. I don't think I can do this :(

Its not as hard as it looks. Soldering down to the pads on the PCB is more risky if you've never ever touched a soldering iron before but it will provide a more solid connection if done right. Also your diagram is an outdated chimp. New chimp is a tad bigger and has a better labeled section to solder on your USB connections so its all easier.

I bought and modded a HRAP 3 about a month ago in preparation for BB:CS. The transition to stick was surprisingly easy, and in retrospect I cannot contemplate ever playing without one.

I picked up nearly everything except dashing. After a couple of days, I was able to output 66 on command, but even now, the quick 44 input stymies me. I can put out 66's like nobody's business, but 44's whiff nearly half the time.

With that being said, I have a few questions. Could it perhaps be my grip? I use what has been colloquially referred to as the "wine-glass" grip; perhaps I am doing it wrong? Or could it be that it's just something I have to iron out, and that my muscles will strengthen over time? 44 whiffs because it executes slowly, or maybe I'm doing it within too little a space, but it feels like I'm almost straining my wrist whenever I do it, going against my body. Overall, I guess, I am wondering if this is just me, or if other people have ever experienced this problem. I do want to know if I am doing something technically incorrect, though.

Thanks in advance, everyone ;)

PS I put this in beginner because this seems like a beginner question :D

PPS *edit* Just wanted to include that I tend to use my wrist and forearm to move the stick rather than my fingers. Is this correct? I've never been to an arcade in my life, so I have no idea what's standard.

Practice doing the motion consistently. Set a goal for yourself, like 10 backdashes in a row, and make it harder until you find that you can do it naturally.

Also, if you feel your grip is giving you problems, feel free to switch to something more comfortable.

I tend to move the stick using my fingers and sometimes my wrist, but never my forearm. You don't need to go that far to move the stick.

Make sure you're returning to neutral when you dash. Just tapping left twice won't work. Neutral, left, neutral, left.

Been using a TE stick for a few months now and from what I've read, I've still quite alot to work with before it becomes a bit more natural to use. Just like the person above, I'm having issues with simple moves like 44 dashes that seem to wiff alot.

The thing I find strange is that something as simple as 44 causes me pains to no end but other, more 'complex' if you just count to the number of imputs, flow out like the stick was a part of my arm. And then, those same moves, for instance doing the air super with Noel as 214214 is easy as hell I find myself wiffin' ALOT of the same move in reverse at 236236. Hell playing from the 1P position is so much easier for me at the moment, so I'm scratching my head as to why the double quarter circles keep wiffin when I'm stood on the left side of the screen.

Boggles the mind man. Boggles the mind.

.... wish I had been born ambidexterous!

I'm pretty sure I've got the 'right one' for me as it feels really comfy to use and doesnt wear out my arm in the long run. Still, it's been just a few months since I started using a stick, so it might as well be just practice, practice, practice.

As far as the handle goes, errr. I've got my fingers wrapped around the stick sans the pinky that's loose and then my thumb rests more or less on the top of the ball. Not quite sure what's the name for it.

How often do any of you change your grip mid match? I find myself a lot of times sort of, moving two fingers to one side of the stick and double tapping when I want to dash, seem to have trouble dashing as quickly as I'd like.. both seem to be screwing up my dash cancel combos unfortunately.. I'm guessing this is mostly just a practice thing, which I'm working on.. but I'm wondering if there's any other specific tips beyond just practice, since I don't seem to be making too much progress unfortunately. Yeah, I read the last couple pages, just didn't see anything particular that helped.

Hey guys, I'm having a big problem with do IAD left and right. I got a stick last week and I learned most of the motions. I use the wineglass grip and I switch from holding it tight to holding it loose. The IAD is the only thing I can't do consistently along with dashing to the left, but the dashing to the left is simple. Is there a trick to doing IAD because I have been doing 9 into 4 for sure but no IAD. Do I have to go back to 5 or something?