shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

Intresting, I'll have to play around with that, I'm working on MU's Dash 2b combos after her j2c.

But my main question here is how to properly hold my stick, I change between Wineglass, semi wine glass and occasionally monkey paw, what I want to know are the specifics for the movements for the different handle types, when I use the wine glass, I switch between fingers for certain imputs, I feel a lot more comfortable before, but I still feel theres a better way to hold it, or im not utilizing the right finders for the grip i use now.

Are there any good videos that focus on the stick itself? maybe something with a match and a video of the guy using the stick in the vid. Or a good description could do.

A vid of a Tao player showing how to do combos: linky

But as Domethieus said, do whatever's most comfy for you. I personally started off with "wineglass" but had difficulties doing backsteps/left dashes (cuz I would use my whole arm ><) then played around with the "Daigo" grip and settled with that. Give a grip a week or so and if you're still not liking it, try another one.

Gate comes down to preference really. Square has the most benefits but is also harder to learn for most people. Octogon makes some motions easier to get the hang of (specifically DPs), but you shouldn't be riding the gate anyway.

For what it's worth, most cabinets will have a square gate, so if you ever play on a real cabinet, knowing the square gate will help.

I'd suggest square. If you ride the gate (which, as Marisa has said, you shouldn't), octo gates have waaay more excess throw for 2, 4, 6, and 8.

It's a personal preference thing really, but I personally prefer square gates now, and this is from a former pad player.

I used to hate the square gate with a passion when I first switched from pad to stick. It made all those pesky DPs, 236, 214, and half circle motions a pain in the ass, so I switched to Octo gates. It definitely made stuff easier instantly at first. After awhile though, I naturally just stopped riding the gate, but then I started messing up in other areas. The advantage of the square is feeling the diagonals. On octo, SO many times I would be on 2 when I wanted to be on 3. Playing Mu 3C was important, so doing 2C on accident over and over was no bueno.

The solution, changing back to a square gate, so I KNOW I'm on 3 and not 2 since it's placement is pretty obvious on a square.

It's a personal preference thing really, but I personally prefer square gates now, and this is from a former pad player.

I used to hate the square gate with a passion when I first switched from pad to stick. It made all those pesky DPs, 236, 214, and half circle motions a pain in the ass, so I switched to Octo gates. It definitely made stuff easier instantly at first. After awhile though, I naturally just stopped riding the gate, but then I started messing up in other areas. The advantage of the square is feeling the diagonals. On octo, SO many times I would be on 2 when I wanted to be on 3. Playing Mu 3C was important, so doing 2C on accident over and over was no bueno.

The solution, changing back to a square gate, so I KNOW I'm on 3 and not 2 since it's placement is pretty obvious on a square.

This pretty much exactly sums up my experience. Octo is (or at least might be) better at first, but once you get the hang of it, switch back to square.

If the idea is not to ride the gate, then wouldn't using a circle gate be a good idea?

I've been playing on an octo-gate for the four months I've had a stick, I (also) have a dislike toward square gates, and was thinking while I was making 623 motions that it might be easier on a circle gate because it would not get caught on any corners. I don't have any circle gate experience, so what do you(anyone who reads this(even though it is implied)) think?

The 623 motion is most optimal when it's 6523, not 6323, because the second sequence takes more time overal at high level play. Circle and Octo gates make specifically inputting 1,3,7 and 9 all a bit more vague and less dependable. The idea isn't necessarily not to ride the gate, but to make your input clean and precise.

63236 is how I used to input 623 when I played on pad, and it most definitely works, due to BB's input mechanic of reading

63236 [x]

Similar to how the TK motion works.

If the idea is not to ride the gate, then wouldn't using a circle gate be a good idea?

I've been playing on an octo-gate for the four months I've had a stick, I (also) have a dislike toward square gates, and was thinking while I was making 623 motions that it might be easier on a circle gate because it would not get caught on any corners. I don't have any circle gate experience, so what do you(anyone who reads this(even though it is implied)) think?

No, because the idea is to move the joystick as little as possible (hence allowing the fastest movements). Square gates have the smallest throw, which makes them the best in a technical sense. In practice, it's mostly just player preference.

Okay so I've got a question... I've just recently discovered the local BB community where I am, and I'm going to a small tournament on the 4th (this Saturday). However, they play exclusively on the PS3, while I've only ever played on the 360. They offer sticks and pads for people to play on, however I've never used either. So, I could either take this opportunity to learn stick (or at least, become introduced to it... I'm probably going to fail miserably regardless so there's no major loss), or struggle with a controller quite different than I'm used to.

What do?

You shouldn't feel a difference between consoles (lag ect.) The most important thing is to just hold the stick in whatever way is natural for you. I would much rather use stick instead of an unfamiliar pad.

Since sticks work almost exactly the same on both consoles, you might as well start learning stick. That way you won't have to worry about the console people play on in the future.

The major bit of advice I would give for learning stick is, take your time to feel out the directions (listen for the clicks) and take all motions slowly at first. That is pretty much what I did with a friends stick when I was waiting for my TE, and while I couldn't even do a 236 motion at first, when I just felt it out and took it slowly everything just clicked.

Also, I used this to help me with getting used to a stick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRyP61GeNis . I know it is from a Street Fighter tutorial, but alot of what is said in this video is applicable to pretty much every fighting game.

Alright, looks like I'm "learning" stick. A phrase which here means that I'm going to be thrust into a tournament full of far better players than me and trying to figure out how to control my character while simultaneously not losing within the first ten seconds of each round. Should be a good time. =)

Also, checking out that tutorial thanks.

Hey guys!

I'm actually kind of new to stick usage, and I'm screwing around with button layouts. I figured I would start a thread where we could compare our own button layouts, for people like me who are new to using a stick.

I have a HORI Ps3 stick that has a full 4 buttons on top and 4 buttons on the bottom.

My most comfortable layout right now is

A B C D

AB ABC BC ABCD

Basically I have all four attack buttons on top and then barrier and rapid near my thumb if I need to press them quickly. Though I'm using the shortcuts less and less and just relying on the normal buttons.

My main is tager and my secondary is ragna. I'm considering moving the position of both D and C becuase I use those buttons way more than I use A and B.

I suggest playing with the default layouts.

Default layouts for BB are as follows :

Type-A :

B C D X

A X X X

Type-B :

A B C X

D X X X

X's indicate that there are no actions mapped to that button, but you can map buttons like Taunt to one of those following X's.

Start playing on one of these default layouts on stick. You'll find it much easier to play with as well as learning as if you were playing on an arcade cab.

~Saka

Maybe show up early and ask to mess around with a stick for a while?

Unfortunately I'm going to be showing up late, lol.

Hey guys!

I'm actually kind of new to stick usage, and I'm screwing around with button layouts. I figured I would start a thread where we could compare our own button layouts, for people like me who are new to using a stick.

I have a HORI Ps3 stick that has a full 4 buttons on top and 4 buttons on the bottom.

My most comfortable layout right now is

A B C D

AB ABC BC ABCD

Basically I have all four attack buttons on top and then barrier and rapid near my thumb if I need to press them quickly. Though I'm using the shortcuts less and less and just relying on the normal buttons.

My main is tager and my secondary is ragna. I'm considering moving the position of both D and C becuase I use those buttons way more than I use A and B.

Defiantly drop the AB BC ABC ect. Shortcuts like that actually make it harder for you because you have more buttons to memorize. With a simple A B C D layout like other users mentioned, you only have 4 buttons and some combination of those rater than 7 or 8 diffrent buttons spread across the stick.

Unfortunately I'm going to be showing up late, lol.

That sucks man. Best of luck though.

B C D T

A X X X

When using that layout what fingers do you have on each button? I put my thumb on A because i do not like using my pinky for the distortion. I have just started using the stick so i am not up to speed yet to the same level i was on a pad.

I got the hori real arcade pro ex. Is anything i need to know about this stick or it pretty good out of the box. i know it is a square gate and it looks like it is better just to stick with that for the long run.

Edited by MAdBater

For anyone and everyone that wants to do some art stuff for you stick and still want the Sanwa feeling to them :

The widely available Seimitsu PS-14-KNs screw ins cannot fit sanwa switches. It was the discontinued and rare PS-14-Ks that could swap sanwa switches. You will not find those in White and Blue.

You can get rollie snap in switches from ponyboy in the trading outlet:

http://shoryuken.com/f226/rollie-24mm-30mm-snap-pushbutton-translucent-pearls-116457/

These are compatible with Sanwa Switches if you want to swap out the default switches.

I have a few sets of them and they are pretty good.

54464d1285102877-rollie-24mm-30mm-snap-pushbutton-translucent-pearls-asian-pushbuttons-jpg

RollieVsSanwa.jpg