shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

its okay i'm going to be building a few LED sticks soon

i'll try to identify the company soon enough

Becomes muscle memory if you make an effort with it for a day or so. Same with the IAD. Also, I've just changed my TE to Octagonal, so I'll let you know what it's like? I'm learning Mu (Final Main, I swear) So I guess i'll find out this way. Also Symmm, Play with me sometime? I've not got an excuse for getting bodied, this time.

I've heard a lot about the Octa, good and bad. Frankly I'm just going to stay with square since I don't feel like getting used to all this stuff again. Takes my fingers a while to adapt to stuff, ya' know.

Probably do what I did with Litchi's All Green for the training for an hour achievement. Just do the input, reset, input, reset, input, reset, input, res... *snore*

its okay i'm going to be building a few LED sticks soon

i'll try to identify the company soon enough

LED's would distract me like hell, IMO...

What's next? Voice controlled buttons?

Edited by Kujikawa

LED's would distract me like hell, IMO...

What's next? Voice controlled buttons?

I want this to happen just to experience how bad it would be.

"Back, forward-forward, back - crap, didn't block."

I want this to happen just to experience how bad it would be.

"Back, forward-forward, back - crap, didn't block."

Good point, imagine how you'd keep blocking, spam shout "BLOCK! BLOCK!! BLOCK!!!"? xD

Or even a manly voice detector, you gain bonuses for "playing the part" literally. Would be most lulzy with Tager and Bang I think.

So hey guys. First off, I'm using a Hori FS3, which is kind of old, but it works fine. However, I find that instant-air dash moves don't come naturally, I have to force my whole hand backwards for backdashes, instead of just my thumb. Is it because the stick is hard to move with just one finger, or is my muscle memory just not there and I my head gets confused? I have no idea.

Just having a very hard time getting the 'flow' in. Kind of wondering if sticks are for me in the first place. Any tips, or techniques on how to train myself?

Thanks.

I move my whole Hand for every movement. I thought that was the whole point if having a stick, You have more control with your hand than fingers bro.

How are you grasping it? are you leaning the bridge of your hand on the base of the stick? If so, lift up, grip that thing.

You can use you thumb but as yukiblue said use your hand. I put a little wrist movement into all of my dashes. It took me a while to be able to pull off dash hotaru and tsubaki with hakumen. The dashes to the right were easier at first because of my grip. I used my wrist to do the dash. My dashes to the left were not as consistent because i did it with my thumb.

I move my whole Hand for every movement. I thought that was the whole point if having a stick, You have more control with your hand than fingers bro.

That is true, I guess I haven't really found a good way of using it yet.

How are you grasping it? are you leaning the bridge of your hand on the base of the stick? If so, lift up, grip that thing.

Alright, uhm, I'm basically gripping it using my middle finger on the back of the shaft, and my index on the top. I have my ring and pinky finger on the front of the shaft not doing much of anything. My thumb I use for backwards motions only. I guess you could call it some form of the claw grip? Not sure. I'm kinda testing this one out. I will test it without my hand leaning on the side of the stick, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can use you thumb but as yukiblue said use your hand. I put a little wrist movement into all of my dashes. It took me a while to be able to pull off dash hotaru and tsubaki with hakumen. The dashes to the right were easier at first because of my grip. I used my wrist to do the dash. My dashes to the left were not as consistent because i did it with my thumb.

I feel the same way. I don't have much of a problem dashing to the right, but then I'm also putting my whole wrist and hand into that direction. To the left, it's mostly my thumb. I try to use my hand and wrist but it doesn't feel natural the way I'm holding the stick, so maybe my grip is wrong all together.

Thanks for your time, guys!

How to Hold a Joystick 101:

1) Look at your left hand

2) Place it on the stick

3) Move it around and find what grip is the most comfortable, and the most versatile

4) Ta-Da!

I'm not being patronizing, This is all it is.

I can't Instant Air Dash facing Right, Nor can I DP facing left. I'm left handed IRL so It's all topsy turvy and it's hard to relearn. So im forever gimped there. It takes around a year anyway, your grip naturally changes without you noticing, All is well in a few months.

Note: I sometimes rest my wrist on the Stick, but I find it easier (At the sacrifice of comfort) to lift it up and really force the stick in the direction I want, Not too hard, but Yknow? It's it's Sanwa or something im sure it can cope.

Another Note: This info may be pointless. But it's been lingering in my head.

I saw some guy at the tournament last week who didn't have a stick, rather 4 buttons laid out in an ergonomic, but not obvious, pattern instead.

That's the badger, right down to the colours. Think the guy had a muscle disorder of some kind and couldn't manipulate a stick properly and so went for that instead.

fuck hitboxes

i hate those things with a passion

i don't know why everyone got worked up over them

also i can make a left handed stick easy peasy shampoo squeezy

i'll just mirror my templates and you can play like a lefty champ

assuming you have a custom of course :3

fuck hitboxes

also i can make a left handed stick easy peasy shampoo squeezy

i'll just mirror my templates and you can play like a lefty champ

assuming you have a custom of course :3

guy that I mentioned at least had a good reason.

So my current experience with stick is like a few hundred games on sf2hdr. Just picked up cse. How long is it gonna take to consistently do combos in matches if I practice a few hours a day?

week or two, not even

remember that taking breaks is important too, and if you overwork yourself you'll be pretty derpy and unable to do anything on stick

fuck hitboxes

Hitboxes closer emulate a keyboard and pianoing can also lead to faster input times if you are nutty and on the theoretical side of things. Some inputs are supposedly easier on it (I'm not the authority on this), and It's easier to fix as far as cost goes (replacing stick vs replacing buttons).

Ah Hitboxes~

For me personally, I like the feel of a stick in my hands rather than using buttons, but that's because I grew up playing a lot of arcade games.

But, in the world of today, people who are not used to stick, or like the fact that you can use buttons instead of a stick for ease of use is the norm in today's world. Which is fine in it's own right. But, at the same time, it feels like the hitboxes kinda over-shadow the years upon years players of the arcade community has been playing on stick and making them obsolete in my opinion.

I don't have anything really good to say about hitboxes, since they are all biased off of my opinion, so I'd rather not say anything about them, but I'd at least suggest playing with sticks for a while, and if you don't like it, it's fine to go the hitbox route. But be forewarned, there are people that look down upon people who choose the "easy way out" via hitboxes.

I doubt i will be consistent with combos in match in 2 weeks but we will see.

Ah Hitboxes~

For me personally, I like the feel of a stick in my hands rather than using buttons, but that's because I grew up playing a lot of arcade games.

But, in the world of today, people who are not used to stick, or like the fact that you can use buttons instead of a stick for ease of use is the norm in today's world. Which is fine in it's own right. But, at the same time, it feels like the hitboxes kinda over-shadow the years upon years players of the arcade community has been playing on stick and making them obsolete in my opinion.

I don't have anything really good to say about hitboxes, since they are all biased off of my opinion, so I'd rather not say anything about them, but I'd at least suggest playing with sticks for a while, and if you don't like it, it's fine to go the hitbox route. But be forewarned, there are people that look down upon people who choose the "easy way out" via hitboxes.

ehh? I came to the fighting genre to fight other people not controls. If people did look down on somebody for using it screw them. Already got the stick though.

Edited by FutureVelocity

I have an HRAP2 with a PS3 converter plugged into the usb bit of a PS3. My button input registers before my directional input, according to training (which is obnoxious). I'll audibly click three (hell, four) directions and then the button, but it won't show up this way. I'll input 214B and instead get 2B14 or 21B4, the latter the majority of the time. Has anyone else had this issue with PS2 sticks on a PS3, or is this something else?

hmmm

there are some converters which are recommended over others

the general consensus on SRK for ps2 - ps3 converter is either the one made by sumoto or inpin