shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

I have a question, how effective is playing a game you've never played seriously before (in my case Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) to learn how to play on arcade stick. I've been at it for a little less than a week, and I've gotten a little better, but would it be better to try learning with my copy of Blazblue (which I actually know how to play). Just to clarify, I do execution drills in Jojo as well, not just a whole bunch of matches

It all depends on developing the muscle memory getting comfortable with executing the motions

It shouldn't matter what game you use to play on as long as you're executing properly

i remember when i first got a stick, i did execution drills like crazy and started piano-ing wherever i went to try and remember the movements

essentially its all about daily practice like any instrument

Thank you, I guess the next step is to try getting used to executing specials and such in the middle of combos, and combos in general. Hopefully I'll be able to get used to this before SG and the GG port are done.

hmmm

there are some converters which are recommended over others

the general consensus on SRK for ps2 - ps3 converter is either the one made by sumoto or inpin

Gonna go with the inpin, looks amazing! Is there a solution as good / well accepted as these for PS2 to 360?

Gonna go with the inpin, looks amazing! Is there a solution as good / well accepted as these for PS2 to 360?

yeah there's the xtokki converter

you can get both of the converters at etokki.com

wrong thread, oops. for content: I use my thumb to press buttons in 6-button fighters and I find it works okay. I guess I just don't mind moving my ring/middle fingers as much

Edited by glod

Does handness matter much for stick? I'm left-handed and I already notice that for my fightpad that right hand can get tired of pressing buttons. But it may be because I use this layout:

A B (B+C)

D C (A+B)

I use my thumb for this layout, as using fingertips would be horribly awkward on a tiny fightpad smaller than a normal PS3 pad. As such, I "packed" all the attacking buttons in there so I wouldn't have to reach far.

I don't even think lefty sticks exist, so it's not like I have a choice much, but...

Lefty sticks do exist, but are extremely specialized items. You won't find one on offer from Madcatz or something.

That said, I think the reason they are such specialty items is that, no, handedness doesn't really matter. Everyone learns from basically nothing anyway... and besides - if anything, you would expect a leftie to have an advantage on a "standard" stick, because he's using his "preferred hand" on the stick, which is the piece that needs the dexterity - it doesn't take much to push buttons.

Edit: Forgot to mention - some people DO play 'cross handed' where they use their right hand for the stick and the left for the buttons by crossing their wrists. I don't think this has anything to do with handedness though - some people just prefer to use their right hand on the stick.

Its all about how you used to are to your stick tbh

I've used before as a loaner when i had a match and its fine.

Its not like there's anything defective with it or anything, its all about the practice you put into it.

been using a stick for a year now and i'm comfortable with most things however there is one big issue i have not been able to make any progress in whatsoever

how do you input IADs ( 96 especially ) on stick? is there any kind of trick to this, or a grip that makes it especially comfortable?

pretty much every other movement, even 74 IAD (still difficult and imprecise) can be done mostly with my wrists, but the 96 IAD seems to require using my entire arm which ends up making it slow, awkward, and prone to failure.

is the correct way to do this input really to jerk my entire arm twice ( 9,5,6 )?

on pad i used to do a whole lot of IAD movements all the time, and on stick i feel like i have my legs clipped or something due to the lack of IADs. I'm playing elizabeth in P4U now and it seems the need for me to use IADs has gone up considerably

Edited by Prestizi

how do you do a ground dash on a stick? i think i'm using the same motion (more or less) to do an IAD.

been using a stick for a year now and i'm comfortable with most things however there is one big issue i have not been able to make any progress in whatsoever

how do you input IADs ( 96 especially ) on stick? is there any kind of trick to this, or a grip that makes it especially comfortable?

pretty much every other movement, even 74 IAD (still difficult and imprecise) can be done mostly with my wrists, but the 96 IAD seems to require using my entire arm which ends up making it slow, awkward, and prone to failure.

is the correct way to do this input really to jerk my entire arm twice ( 9,5,6 )?

on pad i used to do a whole lot of IAD movements all the time, and on stick i feel like i have my legs clipped or something due to the lack of IADs. I'm playing elizabeth in P4U now and it seems the need for me to use IADs has gone up considerably

Yeah, you have to do 956 not 96.

i rotate my wrist ( or push with my index / thumb )

i think the big issue is with the grip im using, which is unorthodox (the balltop is held by the first knuckle joint of my index finger, and my thumb )

im open to changing my grip since at this point im comfortable enough with stick that i only need to worry about getting used to the new grip, but what would lend itself well for IADs?

( i am doing 956, which is what is difficult )

with the grip i am currently using which seems like a variation of the wineglass, and the wineglass grip for comparison, my arm is parallel to the 1 and 9 inputs.

inputting most motions can be done with wrist motions, and something like a 1 can be done by pulling in the stick with my fingers, but i cant get a 9 without pushing using my arm

maybe im doing this entirely wrong?

if this is the only way to do it then ill see if i can get used to it somehow, but it feels so awkward to do that input that i cant help but wonder if theres a better way to input 9

Edited by Prestizi

I use a modified wineglass eagle grip i guess. I have the shaft between my middle finger and the ring finger. My thumb, pointer and middle finger are on the ball. It might be similar to your grip. Most of my motions are done with my fingers not with my wrist and i just push out words to the 9 position with my thump and fingers.

Is it normal to be awful at stick when you first try? I was at San Japan today and the game room had tons of FGs (BB, MVC3, P4U, SFxT, SF4, Melty, and Smash) going and some rentable fight sticks, so I got one and played some BB with other people.*

I...did not so so well. In particular, I was pretty bad at doing special moves--I did the correct motions and everything, but it only actually registered like 10% of the time. Maybe it was the stick, I dunno. Maybe I was just holding the stick wrong?

But it felt was less precise than pad. This was probably due to the stick being old and kinds beat-down (hey, it was free to use), but it just felt mushy and imprecise

Its a little practice to get use to the difference.

Was it an american bat top or was it a japanese ball top stick?

Ball top. I think it said "Tournament Edition" on the top, if that helps pinpointing what kind of stick it is.

Yeah, it was a Madcatz TE.

Do they normally feel this imprecise?