shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

Apparently the Round 2 is just sexier. Piano black finish, "easier on the eyes" grayscale art, etc. The internals are identical.

The lock thing in the R1 stick only locks the home button while the R2 stick also locks the Start + Select button.

Other than that, they're the same AFAIK.

A common complaint about Round 1 stick was the weight, it was heavy. I heard Round 2 was lighter. Can anyone confirm this?

people complained that it was too heavy?

i don't think it's heavy enough *shrug*

I've read it before but would like to confirm it: does the PS3 Fighting Stick 3 from Hori work on PC too?

Some people say it works and others say it doesn't. =/

It depends: on some PCs it does work, on some PCs it doesn't, on some others you may have to install some driver someone wrote in their spare time (this driver only works for 64bit systems if i recall correctly).

I have one, and it doesn't work on my PC. However, I have heard of people where it did work. I think it's dependant on hardware in your PC.

It depends: on some PCs it does work, on some PCs it doesn't, on some others you may have to install some driver someone wrote in their spare time (this driver only works for 64bit systems if i recall correctly).

I have one, and it doesn't work on my PC. However, I have heard of people where it did work. I think it's dependant on hardware in your PC.

There's a particular implementation of USB that PS3 controllers need to work. If you have an Nvidia USB chipset, they won't, if your USB chipset is made by Intel (?), it will. My PS3 stick works on my computer.

Rule of thumb if you can get it to plug in you can get it working somehow someway.

If anyone complains that an the R1 sticks were too heavy, then - by golly - go to the gym and lift some weights! O.o

Too heavy is a stupid complain too large is more valid, but they still got nothing on those new Hori's coming out.

They're the perfect size imo. I mostly put the stick on my lap when I play. Something too small keeps moving around all the time :/

If anyone complains that an the R1 sticks were too heavy, then - by golly - go to the gym and lift some weights! O.o

actually, the more i thought about this the more it started to make sense.

chances are, many of the people complaining about it being too heavy have never used an arcade stick before (well, this goes without saying, but bear with me here).

and chances are, they're experiencing several different types of discomfort when playing for extended periods of time (legs fall asleep, wrists start hurting, etc) not because the stick is too heavy, but rather due to their poor posture.

so while lightening the stick won't do much in that regard, i guess whatever helps people sleep at night.

i just want madcatz to make a stick that doesn't remind me of an 80s hatchback with a primered hood and comes with a pcb that lasts more than a week.

I was wondering what the button layout is for Guilty Gear.

Right now I have it set up like this :

P S HS R

K D X X

(X represents the buttons on the TE that are unused.)

I'd like to play more GG, but I'd like to get comfortable with it's button layout, and I'm wondering what the original button layout is.

I also play BlazBlue and set the button layout on the TE like so :

A B C X

D X X X

I find it easier to play on the 360 Controller when playing BlazBlue, but I'd like to learn how to play on a Stick and stop relying on the Shortcut buttons that the Controller has. For example, I can do Noel's C>BC grab whiff>Dash Loop just fine with the controller since I find it easier to do it with the grab shortcut provided on the controller, but I find it hard to do it on stick, but I would like to learn to do it consistently on a Stick. How do I go about doing it?

your layout for the bb arcade stick is correct, though they also let you use:

B C D

A X X

your gg layout is slightly wrong. It should be:

K S H X

P X D X

One minor note is that the respect button isn't really standardized across all acarde cabinets, so where you put it is up to you. Some players don't even map the respect buttons when the set up their buttons. I should mention this in the first post... thanks for bringing this to my attention.

As for your problems doing the throw whiff combos, all i can say is parctice. In training mode turn on the input reader and see what you're actually inputting when you're doing that combo and figure out what's wrong.

Can you guys suggest a character on BlazBlue that is "Arcade Stick-Friendly"? I also Sub Hakumen, and he is pretty easy to transfer his BnBs from Pad to Stick, but I'd just thought I'd ask what character seems to be the easiest to learn in BlazBlue when playing on a stick.

I'd also find it a bit harder to do the throw whiff combo when I'm using my Seimitsu buttons, but a bit easier to do it on Sanwa buttons. But I guess this a moot point since I still need to get used to the Seimitsu buttons and because the Seimitsus are stiffer than the Sanwas.

:NU: is pretty easy to pick up on stick, but then, she's fairly easy to pick up regardless (in CT, at least).

:CA: and to a lesser extent :AR: are manyfold easier on stick.

Tager's much better for the stick, especially if you liked to use the Dpad rather than the thumbstick due to those 360 motions.

Thank you so much for this thread. I got a fightstick for my birthday and after just a few clicks on the links in this thread, it's helping me already. I didn't know there were so many different ways to hold a fightstick.

Anyway I main Carl on BlazBlue, so my fightstick is going to come especially in handy once I get used to it, lol.

for some reason I cant do 236236, 214214 works some of the time and I think that's more for practice thing but I have no idea how I'm supposed to do 236236.

If you're using a square gate (you can only touch 4 directions when you move your stick around) that might be why. Seriously consider investing in an Octagon gate for 5 dollars.

I use a square gate myself and I don't have problems with 236236 inputs.

It could just be your lack of practice in using an arcade stick. Try putting the Show Inputs option on in Training and see where you're going wrong with it.

Generally though, you want to do 236236 the way you'd normally throw fireballs in SF---a smooth quarter-circle motion (2 in your case).

2 quick questions:

What should I do with my palm? Rest it on the top of the case, or even press it against it to have some sort of hold? Or let it move freely in the air with the motions of the stick?

And how tight should my grip be? Only holding it between the fingers or getting them all the way around so that the stick rests against my palm?

Even though I think that the answer will be "how you yourself feel the most comfortable" I do hope that I get one or two tips. :)

2 quick questions:

What should I do with my palm? Rest it on the top of the case, or even press it against it to have some sort of hold? Or let it move freely in the air with the motions of the stick?

And how tight should my grip be? Only holding it between the fingers or getting them all the way around so that the stick rests against my palm?

Even though I think that the answer will be "how you yourself feel the most comfortable" I do hope that I get one or two tips. :)

You pretty much answered your question yourself. It's all about personal preference and what feels comfortable to you. Frankly, my grip on the stick is very loose and relaxed. There is no need to grip it hard you can get out inputs easily with a loose grip.

How you grip your stick is a definite personal preference. No one can really tell you whats best for you, since we don't know what will feels the most comfortable and what lets you do inputs the best.

I know I wasn't very helpful, but you are right it all comes down to what you feel is best for you and of course practice. Getting good with stick isn't an easy task. Just try out different grips and practice. You'll find whats best for you and stick with it and keep on practicing.

OK guys what is THE best way to do a shoryuken?

I don't seem to be having problems with fast shoryuken inputs in blazblue (I do the input correctly according the the show input command), but in SF4 where I need to do ryu's lpx3 -> SRK, I keep on whiffing the move. I feel the time to do the SRK is slower than BB but for some odd reason I whiff.

This doesn't happen when I do lpx2->SRK

Any tips? Or I just need to be faster?

So it pretty much boils down to that, figured I'd give it a try nonetheless. :)

And I guess switching from a Hori FS3 to a TE needs some time for readjustments as well? I am doing by far worse since the switch (even if I do already love my TE) since the changes in throw and neutralzone are pretty big.

I also have my biggest problems with dashes to the left, but I guess that improves with practices?

(yeah, I am answering all my questions, seems I just seek reassurance :D )