shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

Why are you having problems switching from the fs3 to the TE? =/

TE is a million times better than your average arcade stick so anything on it should be easier and dont really take 2 or 3 times to adjust.

In the end just practice and all is well.

About me previous post, seems that sf4 has an awkward combo where it doesnt encourage speed nor slack, you have to be in the middle.

switching from wii remote and nunchuck to a hori fightstick...... That was the best fighting game decision i have ever made in my life

Why are you having problems switching from the fs3 to the TE? =/

Yeah well, it almost feels as if I am switching from pad to stick again. I can clearly feel the improvements in quality and possibilities but that doesn't mean that I don't have to adjust to that as well. Just shows how superior the TE is somehow. :)

umm im left handed and i seem to pick up fast with the little time i had the opportunity to use my friends TE. Are left handed people easily adjusted to fightsticks or is it just me?

Not boasting in any way so dont take this the wrong way plz.

Well, your dominate hand is doing the motions, so I'd imagine lefties get a bit of an advantage with learning, but it eventually plateaus at the same point. You naturally become more dextrous with your dominant hand, so right handed people probably tend to press the wrong button less frequently, but lefties have better movement.

It all ends up the same though.

now that u mention it....i kind of sometimes push the wrong button every now and then. i guess no matter what u will still have some problems learning.

I use a square gate myself and I don't have problems with 236236 inputs.

It could just be your lack of practice in using an arcade stick. Try putting the Show Inputs option on in Training and see where you're going wrong with it.

Generally though, you want to do 236236 the way you'd normally throw fireballs in SF---a smooth quarter-circle motion (2 in your case).

When I moved to a stick, I had trouble with the 2 x qcf motion and found out it wasn't my accuracy that was the problem but the speed I was doing it. I think it's because you're moving a greater distance with the stick opposed to the pad combined.

When I moved to a stick, I had trouble with the 2 x qcf motion and found out it wasn't my accuracy that was the problem but the speed I was doing it. I think it's because you're moving a greater distance with the stick opposed to the pad combined.

Hmm i'm having the hardest problem with Noel's Fenrir/Thor while trying to get accustomed to my new stick.

Inputs mode on in training, it shows that I am executing 236236 exactly as intended (with no extra movements), but 80% of the time I end up with a 6D instead of the Distortion. Can't figure out exactly what is off... but I don't think it is due to slowness... sometimes I actually get it to activate by slowing down. Can you actually go "too fast"? Having same issue with 22C, seems I have to pace myself for it to activate.

Will try again more tonight... also want to see how things go with JLF (right now i'm on a LS-32).

i hope its okay to ask here:

i want to get a stick. sadly im kinda poor, so a friend told me to get the hori fighting stick fs3(40€ at amazon).

im kinda clueless concerning sticks and stuff so it would be nice if someone told me if this is at leas okay for beginners.

I recommend a MadCatz SE if you're looking to buy a first stick on a budget. the online store has them listed for $70 USD, but you should be able to find one cheaper. Unlike the FS3 (or any of Hori's sticks, really), the SE makes it very easy to replace the off-brand parts with real Sanwa / Seimitsu ones.

Sanwa buttons are only $3 each from Lizardlick (x6 = $18). A JLF (-TP-8YT-SK) is $23. Once you have replaced those parts, the SE's innards match the $150 TE pretty exactly.

Also, take note that MadCatz tends to do promotions around the time of major tournaments (and sometimes holidays - the TE was $99 over memorial day weekend), so if you wait until EVO, you should be able to score a nice deal.

(ed.) Check your local game shop for a SE if you don't want to wait - local prices tend to be lower.

thanks for the quick reply:)

really helped me. im gonna try that, hope i find a shop that ships here:)

i hope its okay to ask here:

i want to get a stick. sadly im kinda poor, so a friend told me to get the hori fighting stick fs3(40€ at amazon).

im kinda clueless concerning sticks and stuff so it would be nice if someone told me if this is at leas okay for beginners.

Having been in the same situation about half a year ago and actually buying the FS3 i recommend not to. It's a solid stick for 2-3 weeks but quickly wears off after that and all around just kinda seems off. So after I got some money to spare I upgraded to a TE and I was suprised by just how much a difference it was.

Although I haven't touched a SE in life I'd say get one. To start off it's sure as hell enough and the options to upgrade the stick itself are great (the FS is a bitch to mod for noobs).

Hmmm...

Well spent like 4+ hours in training mode trying to figure out what is going on with 236236+D ... 236+A/B/C is no problem, and neither are 236+D or 214+D . Only way I can get it to go off on this stick (with only 50% success) is to try to bypass a "smooth" transition and try to jump straight across 2626+D.

Anyone got any hints here?

Having been in the same situation about half a year ago and actually buying the FS3 i recommend not to. It's a solid stick for 2-3 weeks but quickly wears off after that and all around just kinda seems off. So after I got some money to spare I upgraded to a TE and I was suprised by just how much a difference it was.

Although I haven't touched a SE in life I'd say get one. To start off it's sure as hell enough and the options to upgrade the stick itself are great (the FS is a bitch to mod for noobs).

aright thanks that really helps.

just to be on the safe side. SE is street fighter 4 edition right?

Do you have 50 Heat? :v:

Yes indeed (heat set to 100 in training) :kitty:

I goofed around with it this afternoon again, I can actually get it to go of almost 100% now by trying to bypass "3", and going directly 2626 (i.e. show inputs literally only shows 2626 and it works). Also tried switching from current stick (Semitsu) to another stick (Sanwa)...on the JLF I don't have any of these problems... maybe a stick mod is in order.

Now if I can just get Haida loop consistently i'll be fairly happy :keke:

How much punishments can sticks take? I let one of my masher friends try it, BIG MISTAKE, when he was done the stick was actually crooked and not on neutral anymore. It just kept registering as pushing forward when you let it go.

However after I unplugged and straightened out it seems to be working fine now. But I'm not sure if it's permanently damaged now or if it can just shrug off that kind of thing.

Also I totally suck at doing qcfx2 for specials like Magna Tech Wheel or Blood Kain, I'll almost always get Death Spike instead. I can do it on a pad 100% though.

The way I visualize it (and the way it comes out) is 2626, it's usually successful that way.

If i visualize the actual 236236, i usually end up doing 23236...And that doesn't register as double qcf, while 2626 does...

How much punishments can sticks take? I let one of my masher friends try it, BIG MISTAKE, when he was done the stick was actually crooked and not on neutral anymore. It just kept registering as pushing forward when you let it go.

What kind of stick is it? Sanwa and Semeitsu parts can usually take a really good beating without any problems. I let an 8 year old and an 11 year old use my two sticks (one sanwa, the other semeitsu) and they just mashed the crap out of them for 2 hours or so and they're still working perfectly.

I think the X button on my stick is messed up. (for reference, it's a MadCatz SFIV Arcade Fightstick, Collector's Edition)

Sometimes I'll be pressing the button for like 20 times and nothing happens, but then it suddenly starts working. It's too flaky to rely on though. It's a pain in the ass to work with.

I have no experience with modding, although I know I can buy parts online, and I'd rather not fuck my stick up even further and make it unusable.

Anything I can do about it w/o doing it the hard way?

I think the X button on my stick is messed up. (for reference, it's a MadCatz SFIV Arcade Fightstick, Collector's Edition)

Sometimes I'll be pressing the button for like 20 times and nothing happens, but then it suddenly starts working. It's too flaky to rely on though. It's a pain in the ass to work with.

I have no experience with modding, although I know I can buy parts online, and I'd rather not fuck my stick up even further and make it unusable.

Anything I can do about it w/o doing it the hard way?

Not all the up on MadCatz's variations... is this the stick that looks like the "Standard Edition"? Could be one of two things... either the button is going bad, or the PCB is starting to go faulty.

If it is like the SE stick, then it is fairly easy to take apart (6 screws on the bottom), remove plate, and then you have access to all the buttons. You could try rewiring "X" to another button and just use that as a test... but replacing the buttons is just a matter of ordering the parts, disconnecting/removing old button, replace/reconnect new button and off you go.

If it is some other design (like some of the low end Hori sticks), then it may required desoldering/soldering, etc, assuming the PCB is still working properly.

Not all the up on MadCatz's variations... is this the stick that looks like the "Standard Edition"? Could be one of two things... either the button is going bad, or the PCB is starting to go faulty.

If it is like the SE stick, then it is fairly easy to take apart (6 screws on the bottom), remove plate, and then you have access to all the buttons. You could try rewiring "X" to another button and just use that as a test... but replacing the buttons is just a matter of ordering the parts, disconnecting/removing old button, replace/reconnect new button and off you go.

If it is some other design (like some of the low end Hori sticks), then it may required desoldering/soldering, etc, assuming the PCB is still working properly.

I think it's one of the MadCatz's SE sticks (it at least fits the description you gave), but I'm not too sure. I'm also sure that it's just the button, not the PCB or whatever that is, since everything else works fine.

The real problem is, I'm leery about taking apart my stick to begin with, since I have never needed to worry about modding until now, and I'm not sure how to replace and rewire a button.

I think it's one of the MadCatz's SE sticks (it at least fits the description you gave), but I'm not too sure. I'm also sure that it's just the button, not the PCB or whatever that is, since everything else works fine.

The real problem is, I'm leery about taking apart my stick to begin with, since I have never needed to worry about modding until now, and I'm not sure how to replace and rewire a button.

It is much easier then it sounds (assuming it is like the SE stick). Each button has 2 wires (the connectors slide off), and then push-tabs that release the button from the face plate. Replacement is just in reverse order. Lots of info in the Shoryuken.com "Tech Talk" forums, or a quick search of google like this (more modifications then you need, but specific to the SE line of sticks w/ pictures):

http://pineconeattack.com/2009/08/06/how-to-mod-the-madcatz-fight-stick-with-seimitsu-parts/

A good replacement Sanwa/Semitsu button will run you $2.50 a piece, and should be a nice improvement to the stick anyway.