pulsr

Going To/Running My First Gathering/Tournament

PS2 pad with a converter is your best bet, unless you've got a lot of time to relearn everything on stick.

I suppose there are some third party PS3 pads that fit the bill, but they might be of lower quality than a dualshock 2. Getting a PS2->current gen console also allows you to get one for 360 as well...

Yeah, those third party pads look trashy. Thought that'd be my best bet, but are there even reliable PS2 pad sellers now?

Yeah, those third party pads look trashy. Thought that'd be my best bet, but are there even reliable PS2 pad sellers now?

I'm positive you can find DS2's on eBay or Amazon. You could also try a DS4; the triggers are highly oversensitive, and I don't really like the width, but they are natively compatible with the PS3 (just need a microUSB cord) and the D-Pad is probably the best I've ever used.

After extensive research, I found a supposedly good looking PS2 converter called "iNPiN" (sold on ettoki.com). I've never heard if any if these two in my life, until I checked Dustloop's wiki (your information rocks). I assume they can be trusted?

After extensive research, I found a supposedly good looking PS2 converter called "iNPiN" (sold on ettoki.com). I've never heard if any if these two in my life, until I checked Dustloop's wiki (your information rocks). I assume they can be trusted?

Yes, that's the recommended converter, it's lagless and it's the one I use.

What things should I keep in mind when searching for a venue? So far I'm trying to be mindful of how many people can/will show up, whether there will be a cost to rent out/use the venue, internet (if we want to run a stream), how long we would be able to stay, ease of access, and parking, but I'm sure I'm missing something really stupid and obvious? Does anybody have any tips on choosing a venue?

you seem to have most of it covered. from what I can think of:

tables, chairs, power strips

nearby food

Yeah; Making sure you have enough places to plug in all your devices is kinda huge.

I went to my first tournament a few months ago. We turned up late, which I didn't appreciate as it felt like everyone was well bonded and deep into the zone of playing. Apart from that it seemed pretty cool. I didn't really know what was going on. I had no idea what stage it was or who I was supposed to be playing. I recommend turning up early so you can talk to the organizer and figure out what is going to happen.

I took this young kid with me to the tournament. We met on a gaming forum and it made sense to carpool as he lived locally to me. He ended up being really annoying. So my advice would be to actually get to know the person prior to travelling with them.

I took two of my normal friends as well. I highly recommend you do this if you can. You'll feel less isolated and you won't feel so bad if you get bodied. 

It was definitely an interesting experience that I would like to do again. Next time though I am going to turn up early.

i started going to a local gathering to meet players, except i wasnt good at sf4 soi had to get out or never get a game. basically sat on my phone listening to the regulars talk shit on me.

boring awkward experience , hard to recommend