Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOVIET AFRO

[CS1] Arakune vs. Ragna

2a > 2a > 2a > 2c then 6c loop upon recovery seems to be quite effective as a punisher after Ragna's "hell's ANYTHING" lol. Basically my main goal is to keep him outta my face! Once he gets in and starts combo'ing, it's tough sometimes to get out of it.

I still suck, so keep that in mind, but I've been raped enough by TB's Ragna to find out a few things.

-if he opens with Gauntlet Hades, then IB and punish...OR, you can be gdlk and airthrow the move before the first hit, getting you a curse. It's risky to go for this, because you can't really visually confirm that it's happening in time to react with it, but the reward is worth it imo.

-Don't jump at him. His 6A beats all of your air shit.

-punish whiffed uppercuts with airthrow>curse.

-You have to IB a lot in this fight. If you IB his 5B, then the only true blockstring normal he has after that is 2B, which has no range. Everything else you can backdash or super.

-Use 6D bug first after 5A>6B>j.D combos. Resist the urge to do a cloud first; the presence of the bug makes you have to guess way less when he inevitably flings himself at you.

2a > 2a > 2a > 2c then 6c loop upon recovery seems to be quite effective as a punisher after Ragna's "hell's ANYTHING" lol. Basically my main goal is to keep him outta my face! Once he gets in and starts combo'ing, it's tough sometimes to get out of it.

Probably only works on scrub Ragna's

I still suck, so keep that in mind, but I've been raped enough by TB's Ragna to find out a few things.

-if he opens with Gauntlet Hades, then IB and punish...OR, you can be gdlk and airthrow the move before the first hit, getting you a curse. It's risky to go for this, because you can't really visually confirm that it's happening in time to react with it, but the reward is worth it imo.

-You have to IB a lot in this fight. If you IB his 5B, then the only true blockstring normal he has after that is 2B, which has no range. Everything else you can backdash or super.

-Use 6D bug first after 5A>6B>j.D combos. Resist the urge to do a cloud first; the presence of the bug makes you have to guess way less when he inevitably flings himself at you.

Pretty much THIS. can't really add too much too that Frank.

another useful punish (if you're gdlk) is the 2A>5B.5D>IAD 4B hipthrust (5a 6B link) j9D for 70% curse and some space

IB'ing and Barrier guard are very stressed in this fight (well any rushdown vs Arakune fight that is :v:)

Don't forget to bait those DPs as well (j214.A is a friend:v:) any blocked or baited DP is at minimum a 2C(If it FCs good for you if not that 50% meter for more curse is almost always worth it) or 5C>Dive loop punish. if anything just go for the 5A>6b j9.D to create space (get a little curse and get out of the corner woo hoo) You should be able to punish something thats what -30 on block and has almost 40 total frames of recovery

Ragna would have to have done 6A really early for it to beat your j.B. You can j.B at Ragna from the right distance, but you'll still lose to DP.

Pretty much THIS. can't really add too much too that Frank.

another useful punish (if you're gdlk) is the 2A>5B.5D>IAD 4B hipthrust (5a 6B link) j9D for 70% curse and some space

IB'ing and Barrier guard are very stressed in this fight (well any rushdown vs Arakune fight that is :v:)

Don't forget to bait those DPs as well (j214.A is a friend:v:) any blocked or baited DP is at minimum a 2C(If it FCs good for you if not that 50% meter for more curse is almost always worth it) or 5C>Dive loop punish. if anything just go for the 5A>6b j9.D to create space (get a little curse and get out of the corner woo hoo) You should be able to punish something thats what -30 on block and has almost 40 total frames of recovery

If you block a DP you can get 100% with 5D > J.D > 5D.

-if he opens with Gauntlet Hades, then IB and punish...OR, you can be gdlk and airthrow the move before the first hit, getting you a curse. It's risky to go for this,

Will Do!

If you block a DP you can get 100% with 5D > J.D > 5D.

Did not know that! Thanks for sharing.

Well, punishing the IDs is very helpful but you have to be very careful about it, because of ragna's incredible heat gain, theres a good chance he is gonna have enough heat to rapid at any given point after the ID. I can not tell you how many times I have baited a Ragna's ID and gone for a 5c punish, only to have them rapid and CH my 5c into massive damage or causing me to burst...can anyone think of a safe way to punish the ID even if they RC? Because currently I am stumped :psyduck:

if they whiff the ID they can't RC,

so stuff like 5a>dash cancel to bait ID's during block strings then 2C FC from the other side for 100% dive combo (5a>5A, 5A>6A, 5A>5D common point for CH DP)

or baiting wakeup DP with backdash 2C FC for 100% dive combo (good players will rarely wakeup DP)

if you do block one and they have meter its pretty risky to do anything.. you might get baited into DP>(RC)>DP

gauntlet hades can be crushed with 5C if you read it right, air throw punish can be only done pretty close but good ragna's do gauntlet hades at distances that its pretty hard to punish with arakune

Er, I don't know if it was just weird or not, but, I played a lot of games with seifuku tonight and he along with most good ragnas will tk the GH, and I would think this would be all the more reason for 5c to FC it HOWEVER every time I attempted to 5c the GH, GH won out and countered my 5c....so it might just be best to IB the gh and punish accordingly, or force them to rapid it.

Yeah, air GH has head and body hit property, while grounded is just head hit. My airthrow suggestion was mostly for Ragnas that like to open rounds with it; one or two airthrows and they'll stop lol.

Well, punishing the IDs is very helpful but you have to be very careful about it, because of ragna's incredible heat gain, theres a good chance he is gonna have enough heat to rapid at any given point after the ID. I can not tell you how many times I have baited a Ragna's ID and gone for a 5c punish, only to have them rapid and CH my 5c into massive damage or causing me to burst...can anyone think of a safe way to punish the ID even if they RC? Because currently I am stumped :psyduck:

for gods sake if ragna has 50 heat then step back and crouch, chances are he will whiff the DP.

last thing you want is for him to rapid and start mix up before you can even respond.

I have trouble getting out of Ragna's pressure in this matchup. Blocking is easy, but getting out is a completely different thing all together. If I jump back after a blockstring, I eat ID or 5D. If I backdash, I get a dashing 5B to the face and have to block the entire blockstring again. Forward dashing works, but if I do it too much, even Ragna's learn eventually. :P

Any tips on how to escape Ragna?

yeah getting away from ragna with kune is a pain... the best way is to zone the crap out of him and not let him in in the first place but obviously that's too ideal lol

if your stuck blocking, you basically have no choice but to block everything.. yes i know thats kinda ideal too.. here's the problem

1)you can backdash but you already know that it can be baited and dash 5B

2)you can 2c/5a at points in ragna's block strings after they dash cancel but it can be baited and ID's

3)as long as they have meter your kinda stuck blocking pressure so if you have it use Counter Assault ground stuff and Gold bursts/beam super reversals any overheads and crush it so they can't RC

but yeah it's not an easy match up, defend well/zone well, curse them once, kill them in one combo

Hmm...I was afraid of that. Oh well. Thanks :) At least the ol' Spit Bug + Bell Bug wall is great against him. I could watch them try to jump over Bell Bug all day long. :yaaay:

You know, it says a lot about Ragna when the only things Arakunes can talk about regarding him is baiting his Inferno Divider. -_-

Ok, time for Skye先輩's tips.

You can do this match up 2 ways, you can go for an condition heavy rtsd strategy, going for frame traps, conditioning and DP baiting, or you can go purely defensive and by that, I don't mean block his shit, but of course do that if it comes to it, Arakune should rather dodge the fuck out of Ragna, and wait for a chance to slip.

RTSD Pros

• Hard to predict
  • Good Conditioning
  • Bait DPs into FC (or other 100% curse) combos.
  • Quick curse with continued pressure.
  • More meter gain than a purely defensive approach

RTSD Cons
    • Very risky.
    • Conditioning is player specific.
    • If you fuck up, it's Ragna time.
    • Hard to regain momentum once lost.

Cat & Mouse Pros
      • Tests patience of opponent, impatience breeds recklessness.
      • Opens room for unexpected kune counter attacks.
      • Good when point lead is acquired.
      • Timed Clouds and party bugs make for good zoning = less room to maneuver for Ragna.

Cat & Mouse Cons

[*]Requires yomi and good mobile execution.

[*]Negative Penalty.

[*]Zoning must be well timed and positioned.

Other tips

[*]This is a great match up to learn to block. IB > backdash or jump out is essential and choosing which option determines how safe will Arakune be.

[*]Optimize dodging over blocking, especially if Ragna has meter, but don't get too confident, block when necessary.

[*]ID whiffs on a crouching Arakune.

[*]Ragna can ID out of 6a (blocked) > 5d, to mix him up, do 6a > 2b, on hit, follow up to 2a > 5b > 5d, if Ragna IDs, block and punish.

[*]If Ragna likes doing meaty lows on your wake up, do 6c > 5c > 2c on wake up, it will stuff any low (or general 2x {3c included} variation) Ragna can do, if you have meter, follow up with RC > 5d > ja > ja > jc > j2a > DC 5D - 80% (if dive cancelling is too hard then just do jd for 70%)

[*]Try not to meet Ragna in the air, his jc will beat most your pokes. If forced into an air v air situation, ja is the preferred poke.

[*]Condition DPs.

[*]6a is more annoying but less threatening, because Ragna can gatling or jump cancel on block, instead of a descent, try jd, since Ragna has to preemptively 6a, you can jd on reaction.

[*]ID is less annoying, but more threatening, faster start up means, it more or less has to be yomi'd instead of reacted to. Frame 1 HBF invulnerability, safe if Ragna has meter. Try to dodge this attack, either way, unlike 6a, you can punish this on block easy.

[*]Backdash midscreen HFs, Arakune has a guaranteed punish, good to know if Ragna likes to include it in his pressure.

[*]Barrier block his strings, with good barrier, Ragna has to take risks or expend meter to continue pressure.

[*]If at all possible, curse Ragna from a short distance as to give him far less time to run when cursed.

[*]If a cursed Ragna has half health left, go for primers.

[*]Be fast, maximize Arakune's movement. You'll need speed to keep up with him.

A good Ragna will absolutely destroy you if you try and rush him down. You shouldn't devote that whole style of play to even a single round, but only quickly attempt it if you see an opening and then run. Zoning him is definitely your best shot at cursing him unless the Ragna has really slow reflexes and can't stuff out anything you attempt at close range.

I said it was very risky.

On the flip side, there is no 100% certainty that Ragna will destroy Arakune.

Again, it's not a 100% rush down, it's condition heavy.

Also, it's not a full fledged strategy to resort to. Alternate, adapt to the changes. It is possible to force Ragna into a defensive stance.

You don't seem to understand the concept of stuffing an attack, and unless the Ragna is mashing 5b and ID, Arakune can get an offensive.

And even if Ragna is mashing, bait and punish them.

Stuffing an attack is a player tactic to employ, not a character trait, so it's not a necessary element of the match up.

Stuffing an attack is what I mean by if you see an opening, go ahead and rush him down. o_o And Ragna's other priority normals such as 6A will guarantee that you can never jump in on him, screwing over all attempts to get in and rush down other than 214 fakeouts, which are really gimmicky against Ragna. I said a good Ragna is impossible to rush down, one who's baiting you and not the other way around. Mashy and spammy Ragna's are just a free win for Arakune anyways. Still, stuffing an attack is generally easier to do zoning anyways. Plus there won't be any attacks to stuff at all if the Ragna is smart enough not to mash full screen length away if you're zoning, and baiting you if you're close but not yet in his range. :O

Ragna won't always 6a you're air to ground.

If he does, then that works out for you.

You can do more than just j214x to bait and punish them. And with proper conditioning, Ragna will be too scared to.

A fight is a two way street, if Ragna is rushing you down, he has to commit to it or let you go free, since his "jump cancellable on block" moves are short ranged. He'll have no time to bait anything if he's on the offensive.

That's a luxury Arakune has.

Ya, but as I said fakeouts are really gimmicky against him. 2CFC from Ragna hurts badly. And his 2C whiff cancel is pretty retarded still. Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is full on rushdown isn't good, but rushing down in moderation with heavy zoning is usually the way to go.