Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LM_Akira

I-No Combo Thread (Accent Core)

Yeah, it's weird learning different jump cancels at first when you rely on the same one all the time (like out of c.S or H), probably because you have to time the attack pretty close out of the jump, and you're conditioned to jumping out of different active frames at different times. I dropped a lot of 5K > j.S at first, but with like an hour of practice, I stopped dropping those. Same thing there with f.S, and probably Stroke(S) too. You don't really want to be focusing on when you jump because you want to be thinking ahead, so if you don't have the timing in your muscle memory, you drop those links.

Oh yeah, wasn't someone going to translate Koichi's impressions of new I-No?

Also, as far as figuring out some general combo theory, does anyone know any specifics on how hit-stun decay works? I know gravity increases, but I don't really know anything about decaying hit-stun other than that it's there.

Does I-No have any really effective burst-bait combos? I've been thinking of the things she'll be able to do with her updated FBdive, but what does she have right now? I know that at certain ranges f.S is effective since she'll lean away from the burst hitbox, and I know she can generally throw in an extra 5P or two before going airborne to fish for a burst, but what else works? Is psycho crusher burst safe when you're juggling them just off of your hitbox, like when doing loops to build meter? Seems like they would be high enough that the burst would go active way above I-No's head and whiff.

There will always be gaps they can burst out of, but the more I work with I-No, the more I feel that she's really good at burst baits. I just haven't been experimenting with them since I'm still working on HCL FRC stuff when I have time to practice.

Considering ur an american player, 90% of your opponents will do 1 of 3 things. Burst prematurely, burst near death, or wait for you to perform a chemical love combo and burst right after you perform the first chemical love frc airdash.

That wont stop me from learning better burst-bait combos. :v:

Those 10% will be the people I play with regularly anyway. Hopefully.

No, I think I'll only California Burst just to spite you.

I think first post needs an update, even if AC+R is coming soon, there's people like me who are learning I-no in AC+ to prepare for that.

Specifically I'm interested in HCL combos since there's like 4 listed there and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more, can anyone please update it or add them here? thanks.

I think first post needs an update, even if AC+R is coming soon, there's people like me who are learning I-no in AC+ to prepare for that.

Specifically I'm interested in HCL combos since there's like 4 listed there and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more, can anyone please update it or add them here? thanks.

It doesn't work like that. I-No has countless amount of HCL combos. She's a freestyle character who has to alter her combos to fit the weight class and hitbox of her opponent. To the point she doesn't have a single CL combo that will work against the whole cast. Her combos are strings of sections that work together.

If u want to learn I-No I would advise starting on these "sections". *NOTE* These are standard AC+ combos.

1. 6P, 5H, j.H, PDIVE, Airdash, j.H, ETC (Corner, though on certain characters it work midscreen)

I suggest trying to learn this against robo-ky or johnny. the reason is that they have the smallest window to combo the 5H into j.H and if you can get it to work against them you'll have no trouble getting it to work against every one else.

2. Hoverdash, j.K, 2K, 6P, 5H, HCL.

3. Launcher such as 6P c.S, or set the computer to jump and anti-air with 5p c.S, -> c.S, jump cancel, j.s, j.h -> special such as dives or chemical love frc airdash.

It's a small section but very key to I-No's air game. You can cancel the j.H into any dive, j.D, air super, and chemical love. (or notes) which one you should do typically is determined by spacing and meter. You should get familiar with all options.

Once, you get the timing down, start doing it with a super jump instead. this will open the option of doing p-dive at a higher height enabling you to combo it on characters you couldn't via normal jump.

4. Throw 6FRC6 -> Hoverdash, j.S, jump cancel j.S, j.H -> SDIVE.

If the above proves too difficult, an easier alternative that teaches the same essential section is to turn the computer opponent's counter hit option onto "first" and then attempt the following

4E. STBT S, Hoverdash, j.S, jump cancel j.S, j.H -> SDIVE.

You'll need to catch the opponent with the first j.S as they begin to fall.

To extend some of the above combos SDIVE is typically linked to 5P, c.S, or 5K based on range.

Learning I-No is not easy, and can't be done quick. You need quite a bit of commitment.

EDIT: read the first post and saw that there wasn't shit there. I should type something better out for you but for now I'll just direct you to my combo vid, if HCL combos is all you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EltJJLHUf2Y

EDIT2: I already did. :)

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?11456-I-No-Bread-Butter-Vol-01-VIDEO-GUIDE

I wanted to post something earlier, but I ran out of lunch break. I'm also about to run out of my current break, so I have to be brief.

That first combo on Pot shows 2K > 2S > HCL > airdash. That's not possible without carrying a jump install from either dashing in, or getting it somewhere else, since 2K and 2S are not jump cancelable. Also, I want to point out that you get way more damage off of naked 2S, since it doesn't prorate 75%. It's harder to do, but you can combo off of it from about 1/3 screen. It's also effective to do 2P > 2S after you've done a bunch of tick throws. Basically, you get them to want to jump or reversal out, and then you hit them low while they're not holding downback. It also makes it easier to do since you have more time to buffer that way.

But you should probably start by learning 6P > 5H > HCL > follow ups, because you can jump out of the 5H a little and make the FRC > airdash easier. After that, learn 5K jump install HCL, since it gives you so many more options to do damage.

But you should probably start by learning 6P > 5H > HCL > follow ups, because you can jump out of the 5H a little and make the FRC > airdash easier.

This is horrid advice, yes it's easier but will limit your options and make things much more difficult to learn in the long run.

what Pot combo are you referring to?

Thanks man this is definitely helpful. I've been practicing HCL combos for about a week now, gotta say I've improved a bit but I still have a long way before perfecting it.

The very first one in the first post under HCL Combos. It doesn't specify to Hover Dash in or get a jump install somehow before going into the 2K.

So uh... I shouldn't learn basic gatlings if I decide to switch to Eddie. That limits my options. I should immediately begin learning the timing for his various unblockables, and **** doing damage when I actually get one of them to work, right? :v:

Everyone starts somewhere. I learned to 6FRC6 by practicing with ground throw, and then I applied that to the 6P > 5H > HCL setup. After I got that working, I started doing it from j.S > j.H > HCL > airdash > j.H > Sdive > follow up. From there I learned 5K > HCL. Now I'm learning HD > 2S > HCL, VLC > FRC > Sdive > follow ups, and other stuff.

5K > HCL is hugely important, but it's hard. People get frustrated and quit. If you can measure your progress by doing something simpler but easier, it's easier to stay motivated.

5K > HCL is hugely important, but it's hard. People get frustrated and quit. If you can measure your progress by doing something simpler but easier, it's easier to stay motivated.

I'm not a believer in placebo effects.

Look, my advice is only that. People can take it for they want. As someone who learned I-No through this forum and watching KK1 vids. I can tell you that I my journey learning I-No would have been a lot easier had I learned to do things properly first before taking shortcuts.

Don't worry, there are plenty of shitty american I-No's out there that share your stance. I used to be one. BMS Search results

As for the rest of your post. I really couldn't tell you about Eddie, I don't play Eddie.

P.S. Join the club :P

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=22&do=discuss

Has anyone ever written up meter gain combos for I-No? If you airthrow or f.S or otherwise do something really prorated, sometimes it's nice to do a Hdive loop and drop your damage output a little if you can get a substantial amount of extra meter. Any comparisons of meter gain vs damage on combo variations lying around?

I'm having some trouble doing the following combo in the corner: 6P > 5S > j.S > j.HS > S.Dive > 5S > sj.S > j.HS > P.Dive > ADF > j.HS > P.Dive

In the 5S > sj.S part, I'm having some trouble connecting the sj.S. Also I notice I can't input the super jump as soon as I press the 5S.

Is it supposed to be tricky in this part or I should be doing something different?

also @Pestilence: Can you do the combo you said before: "Hoverdash, j.K, 2K, 6P, 5H, HCL. " on Sol?

starting with 6P in the corner against a standing opponent doesn't sound like the most realistic setup to begin with..

I'm having some trouble doing the following combo in the corner: 6P > 5S > j.S > j.HS > S.Dive > 5S > sj.S > j.HS > P.Dive > ADF > j.HS > P.Dive

In the 5S > sj.S part, I'm having some trouble connecting the sj.S. Also I notice I can't input the super jump as soon as I press the 5S.

Is it supposed to be tricky in this part or I should be doing something different?

also @Pestilence: Can you do the combo you said before: "Hoverdash, j.K, 2K, 6P, 5H, HCL. " on Sol?

No, it doesn't combo vs Sol. ...but 2K, 6P, 5H, HCL does. ...although personally vs Sol I go into STBT S after the 6P vs Sol.

Super Jump combos used to never work for me, and I still mess them up a little bit because I haven't practiced them that much. Just start off doing 6P > c.S > j.S until you stop dropping that. You wont super jump if you try to buffer it too early, so, depending on what feels right for you, either adjust your timing by getting later and later with the 29 or 28 or whatever you need, or do your jump like normal, but then do the 29 after. I think the latter way actually puts a jump install on the super jump so you can jump out of the jump, not that I-No really does stuff with that (that I know of anyway).

Once you've learned the timing from 6P > c.S > sj.S, you can just apply it to Sdive > c.S > sj.S, or other situations. Then again, if you have trouble getting Sdive > c.S in the first place, you might as well practice the full combo.

@Pestilence: I've to watch more match videos because most of the combos I've been doing only work on some characters lol. I'll try with the STBT S later. Thanks.

@TheRealBobMan: Thanks as well. The buffer window isn't as big as I thought. I'm still getting used to the game.

It's strange though, when I'm praticing Chemical Love Machinegun sometimes I get a Antidepressant Scale. It must be me doing negative edge with the FRC.

Hah, I only just started trying for machine gun CL stuff. I actually negative edge that, and Sdive out of VCL FRC, among other things (like Stroke(S) out of throw FRC for lulz when practicing). Just make the effort to release one button slightly earlier than the others, or hold the others and only release the button for the input you use. Of course you have to release the others at some point though.

You could also not be getting the forward input on time. Does anyone know if the order of reading button presses also applies to specials? Like, if you do 632146KS, do you get HCL or VCL? I'm pretty sure if you did 6321456KSH you'd get super, but I don't know about special moves.

A couple things I want to add in here regarding earlier posts. These are tips to learning I-no to be as competent and fluid as possible. She can get predictable quick if you don't vary your offense so if you have all these down you will always have your opponent worried about way too many options to be able to predict anything.

1)

learn BOTH TK & JI 5H > HCl > 6FRC6.

Some characters (notably Baiken, Faust, Dizzy, Millia, Axl) have awkward hitboxes in the air which could cause your dash j.S to hit late, thus prevent you from getting a fast fall VCL to continue the combo. In this case using TK HCL would remedy this.

2)

Learn meter less corner STBT follow ups. You should be doing this anyway everytime as it will maximize your dmg plus net you huge meter gain without incurring a meter use penalty early in your combo. I did a write up in the combo thread listing your options and this is great for when you have no meter for free max 200+ dmg.

3)

Learn her frame traps. 2H, f.5S, 2P, STBT all plus on block. Catch them being stupid trying to jump out or mash something with 5P, or raw 6P (too good), or low profile a reversal with S STBT for free counter hit setup. I-no isn't known for her grounded poke game but when you maximize her tools tailored to a specific character it becomes really scary. P.S....6H is the God, which leads to...

4)

Learn her counter hit combos. 5P, 2H, 6H, S/H STBT, HCL, VCL (AA), j.P all lead to some sick confirms making her so scary to approach all willy nilly. Blow up iad'ing wild boys with 6H and follow up with hover dash j.S confirm combo.

Confirm CH S STBT into hover delay j.D > VCL and pick up from there. J.p CH combos to j.H so you can really take advantage of her already really good j.p and put it to very good use.

5)

Confirm random air hits to FB for free corner. Anywhere on screen, free corner....nuff said. Also you can end some air strings with j.H at certain heights and get a KD/low tech an force them to block a note and push to the corner that way. No escape, this tech is really underused. Watch myself and Koichi's matches for this.

6)

5D in corner is too strong. Ppl are looking for overheads from an airborne I-no, learn her ID combos and you will be opening ppl up from so many routes now that the threat of standing overhead is there. Now you can stagger strings and run 5D/low/throw options and force them to respect it. If they trade with 5D it's a free CH combo.

7)

Movement, movement, movement.

Hover IAD (both directions), backdash, STBT FRC (both points), VCL FRC shenanigans. These movement options also double as attack routes and can net you some ridiculous hit confirms. When you don't need note to lock someone down to apply pressure, that's when she becomes scary. Especially against characters like Baiken, Pot, Slayer, and Eddie who can neutralize the neutral note fishing game. I-no is tied (with slayer i believe) for the second best backdash in the game in terms of invul, and tied with May for the second best air grab in the game in terms of range. If your movement is on point you will be dodging/grabbing everything, which is paramount since her defensive game is really limited/just plain bad outside of her supers.

8)

Put training dummy on delay tech 1 frame. This will help you immensely when practicing 5K > HCL > 6FRC6 as well as 5P > sj.P and meter less STBT follow ups. These combos have very tight windows an you will definitely see where you went wrong, but also let you practice the whole combo. You need to realize I-no gets a lot of black beat combos but ppl rarely if ever tech on that first possible frame. Learn the combo first, then go back and tighten up those gaps. This isn't P4U where you can just hold a button and tech automatically. Use it to your advantage.

9)

Learn 6P > 5H > IAD j.K > j.S > VCL.

Meter less and carries about half screen, with midscreen follow ups on some chars. Opens up a whole new midscreen KD game for some varied oki such as j.D FD cancel mixups and dash over VCL mixups.

These I think are the most important things to go over to learn the character inside an out. Of course there is more but these aforementioned points really make her the freestyle/random char she is best played as.

Words of advice for I-no players:

If ppl can't read you, they can't block you.

Feel free to ask me any questions here, PM, or twitter @mynusdono.

-Chaz

My main problem really is the difference between success rates of landing 6FRC6 HCL combos in training mode and in real matches. I'm pretty consistent in training, but my consistency is halved or more during matches, it's really annoying.

Ideas on improving combo consistency during actual matches? Matches of me playing I-No can be seen here : http://www.twitch.tv/bibiquadium/b/362726219 starting from 17:30 (all instances of I-No (and also Johnny) is me playing)

Every time I have enough meter for a 6FRC6 HCL and have jump install or TK possibilities, you can be sure that I tried to do it. I just don't seem to be able to adjust timings well during matches compared to training mode. :(

Sounds like vs CPU, Arcade mode, Survival, and MoM would be good modes to play then. MoM is silly because you need to do things you wouldn't normally do in order to get a high score, but it can keep gameplay fresh in the process I guess. For Survival, just play classic style (no upgrades), or avoid buffs that would affect what you normally do (don't get speed). You can also start practicing stuff with double airdash a little early like this if you want.

More importantly, vs CPU will force you to learn to not drop your punishes when the comp does something dumb. Just don't get into the habit of doing something stupid because CPUs wont get around it. CPUs exist to punish your gaps and give you reaction training. Might as well take advantage of that. If you can combo a CPU, you can combo Kusoru. If you're not getting VV'd constantly anyway...

Learn her counter hit combos. 5P, 2H, 6H, S/H STBT, HCL, VCL (AA), j.P all lead to some sick confirms making her so scary to approach all willy nilly. Blow up iad'ing wild boys with 6H and follow up with hover dash j.S confirm combo.

Confirm CH S STBT into hover delay j.D > VCL and pick up from there. J.p CH combos to j.H so you can really take advantage of her already really good j.p and put it to very good use.

'

Thanks for sharing Mynus.

I think her CH game is insane and often over looked. Her CH combos give you ridiculous damage for very little effort. Don't forget about KDIVE CH either! Can't stress how important her CH follow up combos are.

'

Don't forget about KDIVE CH either! Can't stress how important her CH follow up combos are.

Oh! I forgot about that one! Thanks.