Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Z

ACCENT CORE Potemkin Matchups

Hey, this here be the matchups thread. Complaints about playing against Hellmonkey should go in the thread devoted to that topic. (^.^)

If anyone else wants to do this thread properly, feel free. I'm not as organized as anyone else (the Bridget matchups thread is amazingly well laid out, with "Their Gameplan" sections and all that jazz) so I'm just going to start by complaining about Testament for a moment.

Testament:

Testament is stupid, at least vs Pot. Or maybe it was specifically myself vs Mint. I can deal with the getting-through-traps-to-hit-him, the waking-up-into-a-net-and-a-high/low-mixup, and the 50%-Badlands-loops-into-MoP-into-powered-tree-and-stand-there-next-to-it, but the constant EXE Beast spam finally got to me. I swear EVERY TIME he hit the ground from a jump, tech, or wakeup, he was throwing one out. I even got to combo 5k->5s->Judge Gauntlet because of the constant Beasting. The safest possible thing was just to try for PBs, because they'd grab the EXE beast (which it was 100% guaranteed he'd try to do) out of startup.

You cannot win this match if you can't FDB, either. Be sure to know when you can burst out of BL loops without being combo'd again, and don't let him get away once you've got him. He's not terribly good at escaping, but don't Extend unless he's going to die from it. Instant-blocked Badlands is PBable. Also remember that one blocked 5k->2s->PB tick can do 90% if you have meter.

Openers:

For some reason in AC moreso than previous games, at the start of the round 2p seems to beat a ton of other character's opening moves, and leave you pretty safe if they opted to be defensive instead. Against certain chars (Johnny, Anji, Faust OMG!) anything that 2p doesn't beat you could do Slide Head against and win. If you do open with 2p, make sure to cancel to HF and go from there (Break/Buster, whee).

In conclusion:

You can always backdash the 3rd unblockable in the Triple Unblockable from Eddie, making him easier to beat than Testament.

Thank you for your time,

Mike Z

Baiken:

Jump at her a lot and instant block tatami mats. When she does a move backdash Potbuster. Realize that usually even if you do get hit, the damage she does to you is miniscule so just focus on punishing almost everything she has with backdash and you win. Don't forget to throw out random PB and backdash PB on wakeup, it gets rid of almost all her okizeme options.

Oh, right, and obviously spam a lot of slidehead, especially after making Baiken block. Even if she ourens, if you time it right the ouren will whiff and you get free 50+% damage with some tension.

Mike told me to post so here I am. I'd like to start out by apologizing to all the Robots who will die, along with the Bothans, as a result of this info:

:RO:Robo-Ky:

You should have this matchup on lock. Robo's going to want to 2D and get tension, you just have to anticipate this and slidehead. As a result he's going to be attempting to 2D, then jumping in an effort to avoid getting knocked down from Slidehead. Of course normally this isn't a problem as when he's jumping, he's not getting tension from the Mat! You should never allow Robo-Ky to throw down a mat and sit there walking back and forth on it getting tension.

Let's run down the rest of his moves.

Missiles: You flick them. Flicking at Level 3 can be tricky though.

Bazooka: You CAN flick it depending on when they do it or if you see it coming. If it's done correctly on your wakeup you'll just have to try and block it normally or Force Break Judge Gauntlet it for laughs.

Robo-Dash: You backdash Buster it.

2HS/Knee Rocket: YOU LOSE. This is one of the few moves Robo players can capitalize on. Pot's lack of air mobility makes these suckers hurt. Try not to use J.D all that much because you will be greeted by a rocket in the ass. It's not exactly safe unless they FRC it, and it only hits once, meaning you can Hammerfall right through it if you're grounded.

Level 3 Horsie: Along with 2HS this is the other move that can give Pot a little trouble. It's active for awhile and moves far very fast. If you get knocked down, a good Robo player is going to try and bait a Buster/Backdash Buster with this.

That's all for now. Maybe I'll edit some more stuff in later.

I played Therapist all day Unblockables don't work on Baiken, HOWEVER, if she tries to escape using the aerial crossup counter, if you're using something like 6HS -> Slidehead, you can bait the crossup with 6HS -> Heat or Heavenly, if she does any other ones, just use PB. Tatami mats will fuck you up, and they are hard to FDB properly, so just sit tight. Remember that she basically can't run at you, which fucks up a lot of her mixup game, considering her frame traps can basically be blocked. Slide head is a pretty bad move to use in most cases, the only time you will want to use it is if you've conditioned her not to alpha counter out of 6HS or giganter setups. Backdash is really useful as long as she doesn't do a deep tatami mat. If she doesn't open with an early tatami mat in her jump, you can usually hit her with a Slash. She also has very few options out of a 6HS, if shes aerial or grounded, if you've got a quick finger. Always block in the air, she has a superior air game unless she doesn't meet you in the jump, in which case she has bad vertical attacks besides youzansen, you can usually nail a j.S for a free combo. She eats heat for free when close, Baiken will really want to jump since most of her ground options fucking suck total ass. Remember that taking a few minor risks isnt too bad, because you've got the defense AND offense advantage in the matchup, just not the maneuverability and speed. Frame traps are pretty poor on Pot without a good overhead or command grab, so that strength goes out the window, since he has no reason to try and break out of lockdown. oh and a smart baiken will open okizeme with tatamis on you, if shes not shes stupid and rape her with bd pot buster. im positive baikens crossup guard break CANNOT be punished if you do a slidehead at "the right time". its rather positioning based as well.

Ky: Ky's goal this whole match is to keep you the hell away. Ky will take to the high skies and spam fireballs until you're stuck blocking, then run in, poke, maybe throw, maybe drop an EX cross, then run away again. Basically, he's Cable from Marvel in this matchup. Ky is basically wearing you down the whole match. Pot just needs to knock him down, and Ky is in a horrible position after that. Flick his fireballs if possible and march towards him, but keep in mind that he can slide under your reflector bullet. You will spend the majority of your match dealing with all of ky's fireballs. Reflect his fireballs, and if possible, be above Ky in the air so you can come down with a j.S or j.H to knock Ky to the ground and stop him from flying around. Heavenly Pot Buster somewhat works vs Ky doing air fireballs if they are in the right range. Basically, Ky floats up a little after he does any of the air fireballs. Try to time/position your Heavenlies to get ky as he floats upwards, otherwise, you will get hit by the fireball. Once Ky is in the corner, his options are much more limited since he can't just jump and spam fireballs. At this point, just do some standard pot mixups and you should kill him very quickly. Make sure you know your big damage combos! You can (and should) end this fight in 2 combos.

HOS - I fight ID all the time (^.^) so here's what I've learned:

- You can 6P the Lv3 Storm Viper's last hit - this is very useful. You can also 6P after a Lv1/2 SV -> Action Charge, which will CH or simply miss if he FRCs into another SV, but you still get to retaliate.

- HF gets eaten alive by a lot of his moves - careful use of 5p and 5k along with walking works better for me.

- HOS is very good at getting out of JG, since he can either JC most anything, SV, BHB->AC, or Gunblaze (too many acronyms!). Also, a lot of his pressure is PPP->something, which is easy to bait JGs with, so save them for when you really need them.

- Vs. his air pressure (PPPPPP SV!): IB->backdash or IB->buster is very useful. Jumping up to meet him either with a very early j.S, or a j.P to clash also helps. 2h can get you counterhits more than you think if you smell a jump coming, since a lot of his on-the-way-up moves only hit you if you're standing up. If you do CH, stun combo and win!

- Double backdash to buster is more useful than simple backdash buster, because HOS can do standard doublejump stuff to get you out of just one.

- If he decides not to rush you down, there is basically nothing you can do to prevent him from running away and manual charging to Lv3, so learn what to do against Lv3 moves.

- Unless it's a meaty corner Gunblaze, learn to throw (NOT PB) Gunblaze on reaction. Double Gunblaze mixup is dumb, and if you get hit by one it leads to half life combos. PB, JG, and FDB are very risky since it's hard to tell which side he is on when you do it, whereas a simple throw works regardless of direction. 5p can also help.

- Slidehead beats a lot of his pokes (like with everyone) but it loses horribly to, of all things, RockIt, which is one of his main far pokes. Bah.

- You can still loop HOS, and you can still SH him on wakeup if you're perfect. You can also get it a lot if he's not paying attention, but the 6K/SH mixup isn't much use because he can wait and FD the whiffed 6K then kill you.

- Since SV is so good, baiting on wakeup is more useful than trying to beat it out or assuming he won't do it, as with Sol. Baiting with a Giganter is safe and leads to huge damage and possible stun.

- An important part of strategy is what you decide to do after teching from a SV - move around and try to j.S rather than j.D, would be my suggestion.

- Lastly, don't hesitate to waste meter or Extend. I find the optimal range for Pot in this match is max PB range, rather than really up close, since he has to rush you down anyway. Once you learn to deal with Lv3s (as above) you reacting to HOS trying to get back in is very much in your favor, I think.

Overall - very winnable, just take whatever damage you can get. If you end up with 5p 5k 2d, fine. If you have a choice, take damage over a knockdown, since HOS is also mostly an in-close character. PBs will be rare until you are very accustomed to his pressure, but when you get one be SURE to convert it into max damage you can (2s 2h Heat is optimal, but if you can't do the 2h, I say go for the Extend!).

Maybe I should clean that up some. :^)

Mike Z

Anyone got something for HOS? I'm having a hell of a time against his pressure game.

Mostly:

His Gun Blaze bullshit is annoying, you really really really can't jump in on him from anywhere or he scores a free CH. The only exception is if you nail a knockdown.

Jump punches are LAME, the only way I think you can cleanly beat his jump spam P game is to get him to double jump, which means any pressure string he throws at you will (likely) eat Judge gauntlet (he can probably still Storm Viper though).

He can't slut run away charge, it's incredibly difficult for him to do so without you nailing a slide head, of course he can be smart about it and you're kind of fucked.

Remember that 6HS loses to Gun Blaze pretty clean, I think 2S bites it to Gun Blaze too.

6P kind of fucks OS up bad, in theory anyway, his best attack options are aerial and his best options trade at best to 6P.

Be careful at around mid-ish range if he has a high charge level and 50% tension, usually a mistake will bite it to a 100% safe overdrive.

Those are my general thoughts on the matchup, I've never played a great OS though.

My best advice is probably try to learn what to IB before he lands and he bites Buster. I don't think his air attacks last for a long time either so BDs should be pretty safe vs his jump in game.

You *can* PB it, but you have to either have done the motion before and hit P just after he goes behind you, or do the motion backwards. Normal throws don't have that problem. Mike Z

One good thing, HOSs have the addiction to do Gun Blaze as okizeme, to avoid a possible throw and earn a free CH and combo. If he keeps doing this, do a Pot Buster in wake up for the opposite side, and you'll catch HOS's back. xD Also, HOS knocks you down with 2D or something like that and do a whiffed Gun blaze, then another Gun Blaze to cath you in the same case as above. Same thing, Pot Buster on his back! xD

Humm Gun Blaze is that one that HOs passes to the other side then a pyre of flame goes up? That's the thing I'm talking about, if I was confused about the names sorry ^^'v

Yep, that's it. If he does it right you have no choice but to block or reversal invincible something (backdash etc). Mike Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL2n-dfa4LA

Check out the end of the second round, that's what I was talking about... of course that if HOS does the gun blaze before there'll be no time to Buster him... but in cases like that, when the HOS does a gun blaze almost at the end of the enemy wake up in order to bait a throw or something, it works well.

What about the axl match up? I can get counter hits with f.s and c.s also 2hs. When i fd while jumping to get in, i get pushed back out. Any help is glady appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL2n-dfa4LA

Check out the end of the second round, that's what I was talking about... of course that if HOS does the gun blaze before there'll be no time to Buster him... but in cases like that, when the HOS does a gun blaze almost at the end of the enemy wake up in order to bait a throw or something, it works well.

a regular throw is still safer though, no HOS should actually do that.

"a regular throw is still safer though, no HOS should actually do that." You mean the 2 gunblazes, the first whiffing? Humm sorry but I've seen even Kaqn doing the same.. although he does it a little different, he does a whiffed gunblaze, charges (with dust? dunno) it, FRC the charge and does another gunblaze. And a Buster (like in the video) would beat this too. The problem is to think "i'll do a pot buster" while the enemy HOS does a charge frc and another gunblaze.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how often a double gunblaze is performed as okizeme (even among japanese players) and more surprisingly how many people are getting hit by it.

Kaqn's style, in okizeme, is a lot based on gunblazes. And it's not really suprising that people get hit by it... it's a crossup, after all! And as I said, after the whiffed gun blaze players tend to defend or try to throw, and that's when the second gun blaze enters, getting maybe a free CH. In that video, I think that if Pot tried a normal throw he would get hit by the second gunblaze for sure... thanks god Pot Buster has a GOD REACHING reach lol

Need help VS dizzy. I'm frustated with her fish tho... HAmmerfall!! It'll hit the fish You get cornered and u'r last option is Force break!!! It also hit the fish. I FDB the laser!!! The bullet hit the fish...arrrghhh Back dash the laser!!! Dizzy come and slice U with her j.2S .... DAmn fish! It really stress me out when I fight her with potemkin. Any tips or ideas?

5P FTW! \o\ then you can jump with FD to avoid a f.S รณ something.. against Dizzy I prefer to do 5P > 2K, so it'll keep her away. On the ground, at least