Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Z

ACCENT CORE Potemkin Matchups

Hy there.

Been replaying GG after having stopped before AC comes out (like 5 years ago) and changed Bridget to Potem, and I'm having hard time against Baiken. Well, I get crushed by a German Dizzy but at least I know it's a hard match up (damn it's like V13/Tager, can't even approach her), but Baiken drives me nuts.

I get zoned out like hell, her late ad j.s beats everything, and besides random PB I can't attack her, I just eat her f...ing counters. If I try to bait them with, say 2S PB or backdash, she goes for another counter (her somersault-like counter) which I can't even punish. If she time's it right I can't punish her falling Tatami meety by doing IB PB, I can't anti air her jump, I can't approach her (lol jD jS air tatami). Worst of all her guard point run drives me nuts, Potem moves are to slow, to punish it.

I mean, a Baiken who doesnt vary her counter moves is easy, but a good Baiken player who knows changing her counter is hell.

WTF am I doing wrong.

Since reload I hate fighting this character, it's horrible not being able to attack. This is just the worst character in fighting game history. u_u :rage:

BTW the tips against Baiken posted in the first page are useless to me. :x

I don't play Potemkin or anything but the first thing I do if I have similar questions is to watch Japanese vids to see how they deal with the problem.

I suggest watching FAB vs Baiken players to see what he does.

Hy there.

Been replaying GG after having stopped before AC comes out (like 5 years ago) and changed Bridget to Potem, and I'm having hard time against Baiken. Well, I get crushed by a German Dizzy but at least I know it's a hard match up (damn it's like V13/Tager, can't even approach her), but Baiken drives me nuts.

I get zoned out like hell, her late ad j.s beats everything, and besides random PB I can't attack her, I just eat her f...ing counters. If I try to bait them with, say 2S PB or backdash, she goes for another counter (her somersault-like counter) which I can't even punish. If she time's it right I can't punish her falling Tatami meety by doing IB PB, I can't anti air her jump, I can't approach her (lol jD jS air tatami). Worst of all her guard point run drives me nuts, Potem moves are to slow, to punish it.

I mean, a Baiken who doesnt vary her counter moves is easy, but a good Baiken player who knows changing her counter is hell.

WTF am I doing wrong.

Since reload I hate fighting this character, it's horrible not being able to attack. This is just the worst character in fighting game history. u_u :rage:

BTW the tips against Baiken posted in the first page are useless to me. :x

I don't think Dizzy/Pot is that bad (Fish is horseshit, setups are scary, you hit way too hard, etc), but you were asking about Baiken.

She can keep you out decently, but she can't do much from that range. You can flick mats, as well as IB them to reduce her frame advantage. Fullscreen chains can be met with slidehead for knockdown, making it your turn, or granting you a combo and making it your turn anyways. A well timed j.S will potentially beat 6P as an antiair, but will lose to antiair slidehead. You could even backdash it! Backdashes cure cancer. Alternatively you could just block it. Sure, TK youzansen is terrifying, but besides that she's only got her throw to blow up down-back and it's not too frightening. For approach, you just walk forward, hammerfall, be patient.

I know you said the first page tips don't help, but you must have missed this gem: ' When she does a move backdash Potbuster.' Baiken's heavier moves are fairly slow on recovery and most definitely busterable, especially 6K (her go-to button to blow up buster). A well placed IB backdash buster (or just backdash buster (or just an IB buster (mix and match!))) will take half of Baiken's health and let you go to town.

Baiken's guard counters are scary, but there are special blow ups to each one. P counter is rare, I don't know too much about it. K counter can be reaction grabbed or blown up by more buttons being hit. S counter can be backdashed if you used a lighter normal (5P, 5K. You should be using these meaties anyways. They're great!) or blocked, really. You can also hammerfall it, although it might still be invul so I recommend hammerfall braking. H counter (ouren) can be instant blocked but is fairly hard to punish unless you slidehead or backdash it (boss status, do it). Her command dash doesn't have frame 1 autoguard and also doesn't autoguard low, so you can sweep or 5K it and blow it up.

There's also a universal answer to her counters, which is you just walk up to her, buster her face, and make her feel bad about life. If she doesn't block, she can't guard cancel. Just do potemkin's silly knockdown mixup (anything potemkin can do, really) once you get a hit, and when you're not in, play patient.

Baiken has a harder time hitting you if you respect and time your escape attempts right...and she might hit you, but whatever, you have health and she doesn't. Get her health to zero before yours!

P.S. FAB is an elder god and therefore what he does is probably a good idea. Yeah. Example: http://tinyurl.com/FABdagod

P.P.S. I'm bored at work so I might as well jot down some stuff you can do. Some of it's fairly legit, some of it is gimmicky and funny, but whatever, you're Pot! You're here to have a good time. Most of the below can be applied to most matchups. This post is long enough, so I'm going to collapse the additions.

Collapsed: More text!:
You can buster Baiken's wakeup super at any point. I believe IBing the second hit or just grabbing it in reaction flash is the easiest way to do this.

You can backdash anything in the air that's not a tatami. This was on the first page. Backdashing jumpins seems incredibly silly, but trust me, it really works.

Baiken can be randomly HPB'd if she whiffs air moves that are not tatami. The damage is totally worth it if she whiffs something high enough. Just try not to get gold bursted.

Bacon-chan has no way to blow up both meaty 5K AND wait a small bit, potbuster on wakeup short of an immensely difficult option select. If she's that much of a god, you have more things to worry about. But in general, 5K/potbuster is the first layer of oki mixup you have to enforce before you can get people to respect fancier stuff. It's also easy! 5K has 9 active frames, so the meaty's really hard to mess up. (This actually is less matchup specific and more general information. Any character without a DP kind of has to hold this.)

You could, technically, air throw Ouren (H air slashy counter) and while this is really implausible it's also hilarious and I'd totally eat combos or hits in casuals going for something like this.

Baiken has no health AND no defensive options outside of her guard counters, so ideally what you want to do is hit her twice with heat knuckle enders (the terror oki) and then send her into space with an HPB or extend ender for damage. If at any point you can deal enough damage to close out the round, do it! Don't go for oki if you can get the kill. And don't forget, 2D after HPB for that extra 1-2 damage if it might end a round :3

Also, in response to 'WTF am I doing wrong' the tl;dr is be more aware of your defensive options, and what they can do. Convert your hits into knockdown and oki, off of defense or an offensive mixup. The odds are in your favor, so shove that into baiken's face at every chance you're presented.

Also take her on some more bus tours. Baiken's so busy with revenge, she hasn't had time to see the world~ show her some love! :GetEm:

for approach jump in over and over again while blocking. if she tries to air throw you, air throw her first (im almost not joking)

once you're in, enjoy

also, whoever said to backdash PB everything pretty much nailed it

Wow, thanks a lot!

Already having less problems against her since 2 3 weeks. Lost against her in semi finals in a tournament but when we plays against each other it's even now. :)

Backdash is GODLIKE against her, you're right. My friends already rages against this. IB tatami is also a must, well, IB everything is godlike against her.

Zoning her with 5S is also very good, it eats most of her air dash attacks.

I was having trouble doing the PB FRC follow up against her, but I found out that it's way easier doing 5S 2S after the FRC by holding 6. And it changes everything, now he respects the PB. :p

Now I'm raging against Venom and Eddie (fuck his drills, seriously), but at least I'm raping Baiken now. :)

6K's startup looks a lot like Slide Head, so it can be used to fake out your opponent. It's not great at it, though, since 6K is so slow. (Unless you're in range to hit them, anyway.)

Thanks.

What should I be doing against Dizzy?

Edit: Never mind. Found the info while searching through the thread. Or does anyone have anything to add to what's been said?