Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Z

ACCENT CORE Potemkin Matchups

eddie isnt so much about not getting hit as it is more avoiding maximum damage, block as many mixups and if you're put into an unblockable situation, try and make it harder for eddie to capitalize off damage, try and get a knockdown and win off that :/ venom... try and FDB balls, venom can push his stick out further than balls so if you see him attack dont just blindly fdb. always look for slow balls, specifically, fast balls can be harder to flick and often come from his further reaching moves. slow balls allow him to close in if you think hes gonna fast ball.

as with any match, you just hafta play it smart. a good OS will try and zone you, and punish you if you get SH spammy. don't bother 6k feinting if he's been seeing through them - walk up. you gain very good tension just moving forward so just move. superjumping towards them works wonders for me in this matchup since it feels like i'm always half the screen away. hammerfall too, if you can continually move forward with that. its Pot's game once he's in up close, so don't hang back and try and tag him from far away. get in there, block well, and keep in close. once the player realizes he can't really get away from you, then he'll try and attack you, and thats exactly what you want him to do. PB his ass all day after that bro :keke:

thx for the input, the one using Pot is My friend actually and he play good pot ... but that zoning stuff stuff makes this match up awkward (;^_^)> ... i see what he didn't do is super jump, i'll tell him right away

What can I do against Dizzy? I swear that damn fish protects her from so much it's annoying. Then once I'm pushed into a corner it feels like there is no way I can get out. I'll admit I'm still a noob at the game but I can hold my own against these guys here but dizzy just seems like an uphill battle to me.

there's a few things you can do to drop the pressure on you, but the best thing you need to learn is how to block well. dizzy hits are fast and do dumb damage on counter hit, usually leading you in the ground spike or groundpound into that tk bubble/ex bubble. always block the spinning thing that goes up, just p the shit outta the chompy fish that get too close, and depending on situation (and practice) flick the lazer fish and the chargeable projectile spike. 6p as an anti air if she iad's in, back dash p-buster is awesome as usual if she flies / dashes in, and pbuster also beats her grab-special (not really a grab but its close so whatev). gl and play smart, hope that helps a lil bit :keke:

What should i do with Fa?

Just be patient with Faust. Flick his projectile if you feel safe and use it to zone him. Be careful as Faust can duck below Pot's 5P, 6P, 2S, and dust from any range.

there's a few things you can do to drop the pressure on you, but the best thing you need to learn is how to block well. dizzy hits are fast and do dumb damage on counter hit, usually leading you in the ground spike or groundpound into that tk bubble/ex bubble. always block the spinning thing that goes up, just p the shit outta the chompy fish that get too close, and depending on situation (and practice) flick the lazer fish and the chargeable projectile spike.

6p as an anti air if she iad's in, back dash p-buster is awesome as usual if she flies / dashes in, and pbuster also beats her grab-special (not really a grab but its close so whatev). gl and play smart, hope that helps a lil bit :keke:

i'll sugest u high jump and don't get caught on any chompy fish, they exactly want you to poke the fish, so they can counter you or mix u up with a throw(which got beaten with PB if u gutsy enough)

and yes 6p is a solid anti air

Just be patient with Faust. Flick his projectile if you feel safe and use it to zone him. Be careful as Faust can duck below Pot's 5P, 6P, 2S, and dust from any range.

I knew it. What do I do it rising?

There is the option to jump after the gloves (3 options), k, c.s, hs, 2d, but my hammerfall will scratch almost all the options, if not all.

What can I do against Dizzy? I swear that damn fish protects her from so much it's annoying. Then once I'm pushed into a corner it feels like there is no way I can get out. I'll admit I'm still a noob at the game but I can hold my own against these guys here but dizzy just seems like an uphill battle to me.

punch the fish, then gatling into f.s or 2s if she's rushing. Js is also a viable option against fish. And of course flick laser fish. Get a knock down - win.

there's a few things you can do to drop the pressure on you, but the best thing you need to learn is how to block well. dizzy hits are fast and do dumb damage on counter hit, usually leading you in the ground spike or groundpound into that tk bubble/ex bubble. always block the spinning thing that goes up, just p the shit outta the chompy fish that get too close, and depending on situation (and practice) flick the lazer fish and the chargeable projectile spike.

6p as an anti air if she iad's in, back dash p-buster is awesome as usual if she flies / dashes in, and pbuster also beats her grab-special (not really a grab but its close so whatev). gl and play smart, hope that helps a lil bit :keke:

U can burst the ground spike early and get free pb's at certain ranges. U can flick the spinning projectile, and its a good idea.

i'll sugest u high jump and don't get caught on any chompy fish, they exactly want you to poke the fish, so they can counter you or mix u up with a throw(which got beaten with PB if u gutsy enough)

and yes 6p is a solid anti air

You have no choice ,but to get rid of fish if u can.

I knew it. What do I do it rising?

There is the option to jump after the gloves (3 options), k, c.s, hs, 2d, but my hammerfall will scratch almost all the options, if not all.

flick everything. You can tank poison wit HF without getting poisoned. Early air to air's only, or early jp.s on air to ground. Be patient ,and you're gonna have to rush most of the match. Mainly so you don't have to deal wit mad items.

He can duck underneath those only at almost max range.

He can duck underneath those only at almost max range.

In a combo, (ex K, CS, 2S, 2D) it will hit. If the Faust is simple holding 2, then it will whiff completely. It is best that Potemkin not use some pressure strings such as...

K, CS, Hammerfall (Break), 2S *whiff*

K, CS, Hammerfall (Break), FS *whiff*

Other notes, Pot's 2HS (not that anyone would really use it in a pressure string), can be ducked as well. Faust's 2P vs anyone of the moves mentioned above = Faust wins.

Anyone have up to date Ky match up experience to share? I am generally quite incompetent in this match up. I don't really know my options when under pressure in particular.

Anyone have up to date Ky match up experience to share?

I am generally quite incompetent in this match up. I don't really know my options when under pressure in particular.

When blocking against Ky, generally block low and watch out for his overhead 5D and Greed Sever. Since Pot has a very tall crouching hitbox, Greed Sever hits very fast. Big payoff if you block the Greed Sever of course. Also a general thing you should do when being Okied on your wake up is to faultless the first few hits of their pressure to push them back a little to give yourself some room to evade. Ky will usually throw out a charged Stun Edge after knockdown. So just block the charged Stun Edge normally but faultless when he gets up in your face. He may also simply do a meaty standing kick. If he does, just block. Don't grab, Pot Buster, Forcebreak Judge Gauntlet, or even use an Overdrive. A well timed standing kick from Ky can not be punished by Potemkin.

Other things you should do...

- Flick those projectiles!

- If you are gonna jump in on him, watch out for Ky's god elbow anti air! A well timed jump in Slash may trade with him, but that is the best you are gonna get. You can bait it with butt though.

- Don't be pressured to much, because the most damaging combos Ky can dish out tickles Pot.

When blocking against Ky, generally block low and watch out for his overhead 5D and Greed Sever. Since Pot has a very tall crouching hitbox, Greed Sever hits very fast. Big payoff if you block the Greed Sever of course. Also a general thing you should do when being Okied on your wake up is to faultless the first few hits of their pressure to push them back a little to give yourself some room to evade. Ky will usually throw out a charged Stun Edge after knockdown. So just block the charged Stun Edge normally but faultless when he gets up in your face. He may also simply do a meaty standing kick. If he does, just block. Don't grab, Pot Buster, Forcebreak Judge Gauntlet, or even use an Overdrive. A well timed standing kick from Ky can not be punished by Potemkin.

Very solid information. I second the 'block low, watch out for greed sever' thing. A well timed greed sever means 15-20% of your life disappears.

Other things you should do...

- Flick those projectiles!

- If you are gonna jump in on him, watch out for Ky's god elbow anti air! A well timed jump in Slash may trade with him, but that is the best you are gonna get. You can bait it with butt though.

- Don't be pressured to much, because the most damaging combos Ky can dish out tickles Pot.

Definitely get your FDB timing down for those projectiles. The timing seems to be way different for FDB than it was in #Reload so be sure to practice it like mad in training mode. Eventually it will start coming naturally.

Watch out for hits that bounce you off the wall (primarily vapor thrust with the extended hit). Ky's 6H can be spammed to bounce Potemkin off the wall a bunch of times when he's airborne because of the XBOX HUEG hitbox, and is a very easy combo that the scrubbiest of players can pull off.

If you're getting the corner trap pressure, make sure your burst timing is good so you can get some breathing room. You won't take a whole lot of damage from him, but I'm of the school of thought where every hit you take is one step closer to you losing.

Awesome advice. Since I actually got responses, how about with may or chip? I've never played against may before. Chip I lose to half the time. It generally goes 1. Get hit for 20 seconds 2. hit him for half health 3. Get hit for 20 seconds 4. Hit him for 45% health (Or 50% and win) 5. Finally die after being hit ten thousand times.

Awesome advice.

Since I actually got responses, how about with may or chip? I've never played against may before. Chip I lose to half the time. It generally goes

1. Get hit for 20 seconds

2. hit him for half health

3. Get hit for 20 seconds

4. Hit him for 45% health (Or 50% and win)

5. Finally die after being hit ten thousand times.

Yeah, Chipp can definitely poke you to death. You do not have to worry about many any one move in particular as they all lead to low damage combos. Here are some things to keep in mind:

- His Shurikens can not be flicked, don't try.

- Do not faultless his Zansei Rouga unless if you are in the air, stop faultlessing once you've landed. You only need to block in the direction you started. But I doubt a good Chipp player will throw this out without tension to FRC when blocked. Otherwise, if you have full tension and you block this, then have fun with your 100% combo.

- His only over head other than standing dust is 6K. Block low and keep an eye out for teleport cross ups, tick throws, and his command grab with the leaves.

- If you see the command grab animation, jump and faultless or you can time a back dash Potbuster. Be aware that he also has a forcebreak version which shares the same start up animation and will hit you if you not faultless while jumping away.

- When being Okied on wake up, Chipp will most likely attempt his jump HS cross up. Learn how to read his HS and block accordingly. His ground Oki is not that strong due to the lack of a meaty attack. Some of his ground normals are only active for a single frame. If he does, thne he may try to bait something or may go for the leaf command grab.

- When knocked down, you will more that likely get OTGed by Chipp, and be pressured to make a mistake on your wake up. Stay cool and look out for teleports.

- On your Oki be wary of his reversal dragon punch off course and his overdrive Banki Messai has zero frames of start up. Back dashing to bait his dragon punch may work, but his Banki Messai will get you most of the time while you are recovering. Big pay off if you block either of these, Instant Kill if you block Banki Messai.

- After Potbuster FRC, go for the big damage 2S, 2HS heat combo. NO MERCY!!!

Against May

- Be very careful not to get counter hit by her jump HS as it will mean big damage, even for Pot. She can do fair amounts of damage with 25% with her Force Break if she is able to knock you down as well.

- Watch those Potbuster baits! She can bait it with all her Dolphins and her standing kick which is throw invincible.

- Dolphins she rides on are not flickable, the others are fine.

- Flick the whale to neutralize it. If she is mid range then she will get hit by the reversal flick and it is Slidehead time! A little further and she will recover from it but may have to block the reversal flick and it is Slidehead time! At point blank range, you can Potbuster her if you are neutral during the super flash. The timing is a little strict, but not too hard at all.

- Jump away when you see the start up of her standing Dust. She has the option to hit high or low. You can also back dash Potbuster if she is close enough.

- Of course, be careful of Overhead Kiss. Though it is 1 frame slower than a Potbuster, May is a lot more mobile than Pot and it is hard to see. Do not attempt to throw her out of it as she is throw invincible from frame 1 - 5.

- Faultless the Overhead Dolphin when you are in the air. Block it high when on the ground. Be careful as it does cross up.

Nice nice. I'm learning a lot. I'm going to keep milking this. Is there anything I can actually do to get rid of zappa's dog? I guess I should ask about the rest of the zappa match up, but all I've got on the dog is DA and lots of jabbing.

Try to hit Zappa instead of the dog. Hitting the dog let's him summon again and doesn't punish him at all. Just block the Dog and go for Zappa.

Any tips for fighting Eddie and Baiken?

Also, anyone have a list of Potemkin's matchup ratio versus the whole cast?

I do not know that specifically, but generally speaking...

Bad match ups for Pot:

Eddie (7 - 3)

Venom

Testament

Faust

Dizzy (6 - 4)

Bridget

Even match ups for Pot:

Pot :psyduck:

Robo Ky

to some extent... May, Axl and Ino (5.5 - 4.5 advantage on Pot)

Good match ups for Pot:

Everyone else, especially Slayer. (7 - 3 advantage on Pot)

So I've got this friend that says he tried looking on the Pot matchup thread for tips against Anji, and found nothing. I found this somewhat amusing, so I thought I'd drop by to offer some input. Let it be known that I don't know Potemkin nearly as well as I know Anji, so bear with me if I say anything stupid. How to deal with this bad mofo over here --> :AN: Butterflies: As cool as they are, butterflies have a habit of disappearing when Anji gets hit, and since most butterflies are followed with Anji rushing in for mixup sillies, it's really quite easy to 2D or potentially Buster with good timing when he comes in. If you don't like either option, you can always try blocking the entire string which can be tricky since there are relatively decent options for either high, low, or grab mixups. Flicking the butterflies also have a tendency to make Anji players cry. Fuujin: Goes through Slide Head for 35-40+% combos assuming 25% tension is applied afterwards (which happens all the time with AN). Try not to use Slide Head at close range I suppose. Instant block Fuujin for a "mostly free" Potemkin buster, although I think Anji can still get through with K followup (the short hop) into a free grab/combo > knockdown > butterfly > :vbang: S followup (the downward swipe) is a very fast low, and D followup (the FB slam) is a slightly slower but still fast overhead. Only pointing this out because while Anji has two other options (H and P, which are regular slam and downward fan shot, respectively), these are the 2 that show up most frequently (along with K, which shows up a lot less frequently). Point is, it is more worthwhile to hold a low guard and wait for the forcebreak. Blocking Fuujin's followups correctly puts Anji in the upmost of danger, so do whatever it is you Pot players do to rack up real soviet damage. Stomp (either): Not much to say other than be slightly wary of P-stomp crossups. P-stomp at point blank range actually hop over your character (just barely) to hit you overhead on the other side of you. Guard Points: Yeah, people always bitch about these, which I think is kinda silly because (especially against Potemkin) screwing up the timing gets you caught in a counterhit combo, which hurts a hell of a lot more than my GP counter. IF they are getting to you, remember this one simple phrase that will cure all your ills: AIM LOW! Seriously, Anji only has 3 low GP's, and they all suck terrible balls. Make a point to simply be a little wary of them, without worrying too much. General advice: I will stand by the aim low strategy, take extra care with butterfly mixups, and understand that while Anji has a tendency to go around a lot of shit, he's not unbeatable by any means. Treat his counters in the same manner that you treat Baiken's, bait first, buster later.

Hy there.

Been replaying GG after having stopped before AC comes out (like 5 years ago) and changed Bridget to Potem, and I'm having hard time against Baiken. Well, I get crushed by a German Dizzy but at least I know it's a hard match up (damn it's like V13/Tager, can't even approach her), but Baiken drives me nuts.

I get zoned out like hell, her late ad j.s beats everything, and besides random PB I can't attack her, I just eat her f...ing counters. If I try to bait them with, say 2S PB or backdash, she goes for another counter (her somersault-like counter) which I can't even punish. If she time's it right I can't punish her falling Tatami meety by doing IB PB, I can't anti air her jump, I can't approach her (lol jD jS air tatami). Worst of all her guard point run drives me nuts, Potem moves are to slow, to punish it.

I mean, a Baiken who doesnt vary her counter moves is easy, but a good Baiken player who knows changing her counter is hell.

WTF am I doing wrong.

Since reload I hate fighting this character, it's horrible not being able to attack. This is just the worst character in fighting game history. u_u :rage:

BTW the tips against Baiken posted in the first page are useless to me. :x