Kyle

Arcade Stick vs Controller

As a pad player whose been playing GG for like... what, 4-5 years now or more? I gotta say that pretty much every stick player has been trying to convert me.

The issue is that I play Zappa, and controlling the dog with my trigger finger is 100 times easier than working him with my pinky on a stick. If I played zappa on a stick, I'd have to relearn everything, especially my combos and working the dog effectively. Needless to say, this is why I don't use a stick! Zappa is just more effective for me on a pad. I can do every crazy 'technique' stick players can on a pad just fine, including the FRC negative edge command input trick (it's really not as hard as people think. I agree with MisterBadguy).

That said, yeah, pads break easily. A lot of them are shitty quality, not gonna lie. I had a pad that died within 2 weeks of playing GG on it once. Saturn pad seems to be the only one worth really working for.

I honestly think that playing on stick is worth the slight learning curve. I've played fighting games on pad all my life until last year. I can now do everything that I learned on pad and more. My inputs are much more precise and accurate. It's very well worth the time dedicated to learning it.

I have to admit, I'm learning on a Fight Stick and It's quite difficult. Going to arcades every once in awhile helped my progress but I've still gotta long way to go. Trying to adjust to the stick and I feel like I'm getting a little used to it.

Sadly, I use the Tekken 6 Hori Fight Stick, I hear it's pretty bad but I'm used to it. I probably wanna invest in a wired one right?

Pads aren't hard to use at all, you just need to get double-jointed thumbs, like me :D

lol seriously though, I have seen no advantage from a stick that makes it worth spending hundreds of dollars on. I can do the tk hcl airdash in combos, and I don't even main i-no, I just practiced it a little bit. Only reason I would personally ever want one is to be ready to use an arcade machine, but I don't see me going to any arcades that have one anytime soon.

Double tapping to me seems impossible on pad unless you shift your entire hand to do it. Plinking too. In addition to that, I think using your entire hand to manipulate a joystick instead of a thumb to manipulate a dpad would give you much finer control over your directional inputs.

Also, TEs are around 100$ nowadays, so "hundreds" is a bit misleading unless you go buy a custom stick where the sky's the limit.

Edit: i suppose I should say that none of these things are truly impossible, but they are much much harder than they'd be on stick. Why make things harder on yourself if you can help it?

I've updated OP w/ Qwerty's tier list comment. Thx bro.

Does anyone have a source for controller/pad comparisons? I'd like to link that as well.

LOL at I-no players getting piss-y about my comments. Where's Chaz at? Myyyyyyynus where are man? KingLowTier anywhere?

LOL at I-no players getting piss-y about my comments. Where's Chaz at? Myyyyyyynus where are man? KingLowTier anywhere?

What r u talking about?:psyduck:

Regarding I-no, her more advance stuff like 5k frc hcl air dash link/fast fall vcl is much harder to do on pad as opposed to a stick imo.

AI_ : Your just getting confused man, we are agree'n on this topic.

Just a quick thought about sticks and pad, some people use the actual directional pad on the 360, (which i can completely agree its like they stuck peanut butter in the workings of it just to mess with us) you can use the analog stick too right? Which feels very natural to me. I tried the stick one time when my cousin came over to my house, (both of us are big BB players, waiting too long for the awaited cs on the 360) and i admit it, it does feel made for it and its pretty fun, so ANALOG STICK? IDK.

The analog stick on the 360 control is surprisingly comfortable once you get used to it. I'd still take a PS3 pad or a stick any day though.

Just a quick thought about sticks and pad, some people use the actual directional pad on the 360, (which i can completely agree its like they stuck peanut butter in the workings of it just to mess with us) you can use the analog stick too right? Which feels very natural to me. I tried the stick one time when my cousin came over to my house, (both of us are big BB players, waiting too long for the awaited cs on the 360) and i admit it, it does feel made for it and its pretty fun, so ANALOG STICK? IDK.

Some people I know play that OTHER fighting game on 360 with the analog stick. If I was stuck on playing on 360, I would definately consider the investment in an arcade stick or a decent pad though. (I play on PS3 with an arcade stick in case you are wondering)

It all really comes down to who is comfortable with what controller right? Pad or Stick... doesn't matter as long as u can kick ass >:] .

I own an arcade stick but Im using my 360 controller untill I get my stick modded to play on ps3. My friend owns it on ps3 and i can switch from 360 to ps3 pad no problem. I wish they all just played on 360 or all TE sticks were ps3 360 compatible >_>

After reading this thread I went on amazon and got a sf4 te fightstick me being a 360 player (ps3 comming soon T ^ T )

And being stuck with the 360s....well if u wanna call it a d pad sure basicly the 360 controller fails in fighter games . But when I got used to the fight stick :3 Amen! Nuff said

Stick is making me hate my life right now, currently on day 5, but I reckon I'll get used to it after a few months. I can do my basib BnBs but just regular maneuvering doesn't seem to work out too well. I often jump when I don't mean to and sometimes when I try to j.6D, itll come out as j.9D. I guess I just have to get a feel for the square gate.

one thing I noticed already is that I could play all day and not get tired hands like I do with a pad and 360 motions are soooo easy now. 236236 still gives me problems if I try to do it too fast (IB Jafuckinyoku is a bitch), but again, I just need to get used to it. What I'm trying to say is that learning stick is difficult, but worth it. I can already find benefits. Sorry if this seemed like a weird post, Im on vicodin!

No, but really. My stick stole my girlfriend and kills puppies.

Stick is making me hate my life right now, currently on day 5, but I reckon I'll get used to it after a few months. I can do my basib BnBs but just regular maneuvering doesn't seem to work out too well. I often jump when I don't mean to and sometimes when I try to j.6D, itll come out as j.9D. I guess I just have to get a feel for the square gate.

one thing I noticed already is that I could play all day and not get tired hands like I do with a pad and 360 motions are soooo easy now. 236236 still gives me problems if I try to do it too fast (IB Jafuckinyoku is a bitch), but again, I just need to get used to it. What I'm trying to say is that learning stick is difficult, but worth it. I can already find benefits. Sorry if this seemed like a weird post, Im on vicodin!

No, but really. My stick stole my girlfriend and kills puppies.

Lol, I hear you with the hand cramping thing. On BBCS's launch day, I could only get a PS3 copy that day, and I had my sticked mailed off to get multimodded, so I had to play on pad for the day. I had to stop playing the next day because my hands hurt so badly.

I had problems when I got my first stick too. Mainly, I couldn't IAD with any level of consistency. I remember getting so annoyed at one point in the middle of an online match, that I unplugged my stick and synced my controller. After about a month though, playing on pad just felt wrong. On the rare occurrence that I have to, I find I have absolutely no muscle memory on a pad anymore, and I have concentrate needlessly hard to do even basic combos.

Working out 236x2 motions take time for me.

I managed to feel out the *clicks* and do in a small 720 motion on the lower right end of my stick.

Then I relied on muscle memory after that.

I need some advice from fellow pad users. I recently got a brand new PS2 Dualshock 2 Controller, but the UP button on the pad is a little "dull". In other words, I can't tap it to jump, I just about have to hold UP for it to register.

In GG, jumping diagonally doesn't seem to be a problem, but jumping straight UP takes more effort than it should...is there any way to break this pad in? I prefer the precision of the PSP pads (Slim Pad), but this seems to take time to fix.

For me, my problem is doing DD while facing left. If i'm facing right, i can do them NO problem. Anyone else have this problem?

If you're confused, I have trouble doing 214214 while facing left, but facing right i can do it in 1 shot no problem.

Edit: i'm using the stick by the way

Pretty common problem as you adapt to the stick. Just keep trying it. Turn on Inputs in practice mode.

If you're confused, I have trouble doing 214214 while facing left, but facing right i can do it in 1 shot no problem.

Something that helped me a lot with learning stick was first playing other people. This forced me to get my crap together or look like an idiot online. It also helps to go into options and choose a starting side that you're bad with.