Kyle

Arcade Stick vs Controller

Does the smaller case make it less comfortable to use? Also, what about the "Round 2" version of the TE? I edited into my last post but people may miss it now so I may as well re-ask.

Alright so with Christmas coming up I'm considering getting my first fighting stick, since I've now got a locals to go to and actually have a reason to learn it (they play PS3, so I'd rather learn stick and just play that than go back and forth between the two different pads). My question is, what would be a good stick to start out with? I've heard the Hori EX2 is good to start with, but I'd like to get something that'll last me a long time and doesn't need replacing until I decide to spring for something really high quality (probably far off, so yeah this thing has to last me a while). I'd prefer to stay under $80, but if there's something of extremely good value I could go higher. Any suggestions?

The TE has a pretty convenient cable storage compartment as well, Kinezumi.

The R2 TE is different colors. The TE-S has a different case shape. No functional difference.

Oh wow, I just found out that if I buy the Sanwa stick and 8 buttons separately, to add into the SE stick, it's only slightly cheaper than just buying the TE R2. It's a saving of only $15, which means by buying the TE R2 I'm basically paying a mere $15 for (a) a larger case (b) a heavier a more solid feel to the case © someone to put it together for me. Not to mention it just looks a lot better.

Edited by Kinezumi

Alright so with Christmas coming up I'm considering getting my first fighting stick, since I've now got a locals to go to and actually have a reason to learn it (they play PS3, so I'd rather learn stick and just play that than go back and forth between the two different pads). My question is, what would be a good stick to start out with? I've heard the Hori EX2 is good to start with, but I'd like to get something that'll last me a long time and doesn't need replacing until I decide to spring for something really high quality (probably far off, so yeah this thing has to last me a while). I'd prefer to stay under $80, but if there's something of extremely good value I could go higher. Any suggestions?

Madcatz SFIV Tournament Edition Fightstick. Or do like me get the SFIV Madcatz Fightstick, wayyy cheaper, but moddable. Although, I won't be modding mine for a while.

Hori fightstick doesn't have the same rating as the TE by Madcatz, which is SS tier.

That thing looks like it's $140+...

But if you want to later mod it to play on PS3s the MadCatz TE and SE are the best picks. Same tier products from Hori are the Real Arcade Pro sticks, but since their price is more or less the same I'd also advise the MadCatz TE or SE.

I myself recently got a Hori RAP3 for PS3 that I'll later mod with Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons to get it on par with TE ($60 stick, ~$25 buttons) and I couldn't be happier with a bigass bulky controller, but I don't need any fancy dual console mods.

Can anyone who's used both tell me the difference, in feel, quality and function, between the Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition and the non-Tournament Edition? The former is £115/$181 whereas the later is only £45/$71. Is there really $110 worth of difference? Even like $50 worth of difference? Also, I see a TE Round 2 on Amazon. It sounds like an improved version and yet it's about $30 cheaper. What's the deal with that?

The SE uses Madcatz parts. They're cheap, mushy, unresponsive, and they break within a week of purchase. The TE is a nicer case, heavier, comes with a JLF and sanwa buttons, and a longer cord that can be stored in a small compartment. Its definitely worth the price. There are more parts to mod it as well and its easier to work on. You can save money by buying an SE and modding it, but you'll still have to deal with the smaller and lighter case. There is no difference bewteen the Round 1 and Round 2 TE other than the art.

But if you want to later mod it to play on PS3s the MadCatz TE and SE are the best picks. Same tier products from Hori are the Real Arcade Pro sticks, but since their price is more or less the same I'd also advise the MadCatz TE or SE.

I myself recently got a Hori RAP3 for PS3 that I'll later mod with Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons to get it on par with TE ($60 stick, ~$25 buttons) and I couldn't be happier with a bigass bulky controller, but I don't need any fancy dual console mods.

Well, what's the best sub-$100 (preferably less than $80 though, as mentioned before) stick I'd be able to get without modding? I want something reasonably durable and dependable to last me a while before I for something more expensive like the TE.

Note: I'm a 360 player

Edited by Chozo003

just get yourself an SE, thunder's exaggerating about the parts a bit but the only main problem is the joystick part but those problems dont happen until like months of use and can be fixed by swapping out parts

Is it going to explode on me or something? o_o

Where would I order replacement parts and such?

http://www.gamestop.ca/browse/storesearch.aspx?sku=616229&CCTest=1 it's actually 119.99 not 140. You can check in store availability for it in your area in the link. I used it and bought the basic madcatz stick at a ebgames in my area rather than order it online and saved money.

Is it going to explode on me or something? o_o

Where would I order replacement parts and such?

Nah. Mine broke the week I got it so I've been harsh on it. For the price the SE isn't bad. It'll work and I know people that have never modded theirs. But you can order parts from Lizardlick.

just get the TE, then you can do easy art swaps :P . Also keep on eye out on SRK, madcatz does a lot of promotions to get TE for 50$ off. Making the price just 100$. Very affordable.

just get the TE, then you can do easy art swaps :P . Also keep on eye out on SRK, madcatz does a lot of promotions to get TE for 50$ off. Making the price just 100$. Very affordable.

I think they said they weren't going to have any more sales this year.

Damn, too bad I missed that, could have split with a friend.

So uhhh... art. How do I get that made, as in printed and shipped or whatever? Sorry for the abundance of questions.

Damn, too bad I missed that, could have split with a friend.

So uhhh... art. How do I get that made, as in printed and shipped or whatever? Sorry for the abundance of questions.

http://jonvandalen.com/newblog/2009/03/08/download-template-for-hrap-joysticks/ <- it's for the HRAP, but you should be able to see the general idea that applies to any stick

http://shoryuken.com/f177/where-print-fightstick-art-best-quality-what-about-acrylic-175421/ <-- some more info

If you decide to buy a MadCatz stick be sure to search the SRK forums thoroughly, those guys are in love with MadCatz so they've got a lot of materials about their sticks (also a bit of a bias when it comes to reviews IMO, but that's flame material so I'll leave it at that). If you settle for a HRAP EX then the above tutorial about the PS3 HRAP3 will work for the Xbox version too.

Myself I'll be getting a plexi cover made here somewhere (I'm not gonna order one from the US, the shipping will kill my wallet) and put a high quality print between plexi and the original panel. This way I can swap it out with no extra hassle if I ever get bored of it. You can also lamilabel the print and stick it on the panel like in that tutorial I linked you to, but if you want a fancy mod get plexi.

They had buy one get one like all last week.

They also had the mix and match B1G1 deal last weekend only. I think that is when Markman said there wouldn't be any more deals. But that is only the Gameshark store. There might be other deals on other sites.

If anyone's used keyboards/keysticks in the past, some guys on srk recently posted some info on a project called HitBox. It looks really interesting and I'm going to try it out myself when I get money to make one. Might be a good tool for someone who hasn't used a traditional stick yet and wants to gain the advantages of a HitBox which are explained in the thread.

Link