Kyle

Arcade Stick vs Controller

I'm thinking of getting an arcade stick but i really have had no experience with any arcade sticks or even used one. I have a hori fightpad FC3 which i feel is better than my ps3 controller but the pad seriously does not feel right for me. So should i really put in $100 for an arcade stick or should i just stick with regular controller?

You could always go with a madcatz SE stick if you want a general feel, though if you end up feeling a stick is right for you, you'll either end up needing to mod the SE or spend the $100 anyway. Learning stick is a commitment but it's not as hard as you might think. No different from learning to ride a bike really.

Really, if you throw down the money, you sort of force yourself to learn it anyway, right?

You should be able to find a Hori Real Arcade Pro for something like $75 I think. Try amazon.com, bought my HRAP3 for $60 from there. Also, keep an eye on shoryuken.com, if there's another sale on MadCatz TEs they'll have a thread on their forums about it. Since you've already got a stick I think SE wouldn't be a good idea. SE has all parts made by MadCatz, so the quality varies from model to model and isn't very high altogether. HRAP has an original Sanwa JLF joystick, so you'll probably never need to switch it out. Its buttons are made by Hori but mine are rather fine and besides, buttons are cheap and easy to switch out in those models because of Quick Disconnects. MadCatz TE is usually really exoensive, I think it might be cheaper to mod a HRAP with Sanwa buttons to get the same effect. TEs are like HRAP SAs in that they're all Sanwa parts with the feel of real Japanese arcades. They're really wotth the money. You say you realize the cheap fightpad doesn't feel right. If you try anything below those three models you'll feel the same way about it too. $60 ain't that much for a controller that you absolutely need to play a whole genre of games properly. My Force Feedback wheel was more expensive and I got it just to play Colin 2007, TDU and GT5. It's really worth the investment, a good joystick in your stick is vital.

That's quite off topic, isn't it? Anyway, if you're saying a newcomer to the game has to work for his victories with Ragna just as hard as one who chooses to play as Jin I have to ask: have you played CS? Hazama is more like Ragna in this matter, but my sig doesn't suggest my characters are particularly hard to use (on low level), on the contrary actually.

You could always go with a madcatz SE stick if you want a general feel, though if you end up feeling a stick is right for you, you'll either end up needing to mod the SE or spend the $100 anyway. Learning stick is a commitment but it's not as hard as you might think. No different from learning to ride a bike really.

Really, if you throw down the money, you sort of force yourself to learn it anyway, right?

thats what i did.in the end my SE has the same parts as a TE and it cost me 50$ less.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but how does this controller fare in Blazblue?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/marvel-versus-fighting-pad-features-micro-switch-thumb-pad-art/

A friend of mine passed his down to me because his brother bought him an arcade stick for his B-day. This thing is ass ugly, but I'm a pad warrior because I can't ween myself off of pads due to the over decade long absence of arcades in my life and that I'm not interested in tourney play. I've wanted something to replace my HORI EX2 for a while because trying to play Carl on the EX2 is tantamount to getting my fudge packed.

It's all micro-switches and is designed to be held with a claw grip (in other words, you don't use your thumb for face buttons). That thing should pretty much be the epitome of pads (barring how long the microswitches want to last).

Has anyone tried the Razer Onza controller for 360? It looks nice, but it sounds like it's designed more for FPS games rather than fighters. Would greatly appreciate if anyone could confirm the quality of the D pad for fighters.

the onza is finally out?

damn i need to try that out as it'll actually be useful when using bumper jumper with reach or melee for gears of war

need more fpsssssss

Q:Stick vs Console Controller?

A:@Supa or anyone else....

i dare you to go up against actual Team Spooky members in Melty Blood with only a ps2 controller in your hands....like i have.

i simply dare you!!!!

good luck with that.

good luck with that shitty, crappy, dysfunctional for fighters, bs dookie controller not working against you during matches against extremely high level players.

arcade stick>donkey doodoo>ps2 controller

in that order.

they don't call console controllers "oven mitt sticks" for nothing. there is a good reason. trust me.

you can't do half of what you can do on console controllers that you can do on an arcade stick, trust me.

Q:Stick vs Console Controller?

A:@Supa or anyone else....

i dare you to go up against actual Team Spooky members in Melty Blood with only a ps2 controller in your hands....like i have.

i simply dare you!!!!

good luck with that.

good luck with that shitty, crappy, dysfunctional for fighters, bs dookie controller not working against you during matches against extremely high level players.

arcade stick>donkey doodoo>ps2 controller

in that order.

they don't call console controllers "oven mitt sticks" for nothing. there is a good reason. trust me.

you can't do half of what you can do on console controllers that you can do on an arcade stick, trust me.

What the? Clearly you must have forgotten of the greatest Melty player ever known. The great pad player Doren2k.

again with this.....

go read this thread over again from the beginning this time before someone starts this clusterfuck again

First post.

Well I'm a stick player but for this game I suck with the stick. I just can't do the movements correctly and I mostly mess up on the combos. Well first I don't know how the button lay out should be, can anybody tell me?

I'll probably start practicing more on the stick.

I don't know...I'm better at pressing buttons faster and correctly than moving my wrist. I would imagine myself not dashing, getting wrong inputs, and doing this consistently with practice. Not to mention the time and money needed; both of which I lack. I don't think I would ever spend 150 bucks to improve on a game--not to mention it's a gamble in and of itself. Also considering that there aren't many tourneys for anything in my location, I feel no need to get it, and instead, use the time to practice, and the money on *more important* things.

That's just my take--I'm sure others find sticks a godsend.

There are cheap sticks for about 50 bucks but they might suck ballz. I got my hori stick when it was on sale on amazon and it cost about 80 bucks when it usually goes for 120. Just some food for thought my execution improvement on the stick also helped me on a pad but the default xbox 360 pad is hard to be accurate in the first place. It also save my hands from feeling pain from playing for a extended period of time.

The arcade layouts are either

A,B,C

D

or

B,C,D

A

Agh thank you my friend.

i've been playing/practicing on stick now 4 a couple of weeks, and i've come to notice two things.

1-its really easier to do command inputs/moves like quarter circle and dragon punch in sf than in gg.

has anyone felt that way after switching from pad to stick?

like doing shoryuken with ken is easier than doing ky's shoryuken 623s/h for example,...is it just me or is guilty gear a lot more strict about joystick inputs?

has anyone felt the same way when they switched from pad to stick?

its not just 623h, but any 214/623/236 in guilty seems a lot harder than sf 214/623/236.

2-aside from that, i find being able to do things on stick that i could never do before on pad(or at least easily), like mid air 632146h attached to the end of some aerial move etc.

guilty is a screwy game command wise. i really can't figure out why the basic quarter circle, half circle, dp, and quarter circle+half circle moves are soooo hard to do with consistency when you are not involved in some activity like chaining into combo, while when you do it with no time limit, or no pressure, it seems to come out less frequent.

while sf is the total opposite.

i end up getting less and less precise joystick motions-wise in guilty as time passes in-game, while in sf my consistency goes up with time playing 4 extended periods.

maybe its just my sf background.

Edited by Axl_M4ster

I tried playing super street fighter 4 the over day and i could not play guile. his charge moves like sonic boom would not come out. But playing king of fighters 2002 unlimited match i could do those commands much easier. The only charge moves i can think of in blazblue are hakumen's and jin's astals and i can do those with no problem. Also each game engine has its own forgiveness in command timing.

I tried playing super street fighter 4 the over day and i could not play guile. his charge moves like sonic boom would not come out. But playing king of fighters 2002 unlimited match i could do those commands much easier. The only charge moves i can think of in blazblue are hakumen's and jin's astals and i can do those with no problem. Also each game engine has its own forgiveness in command timing.

Tao and Litchi astrals have a charge as well.

Just for the record.

Tao and Litchi astrals have a charge as well.

Just for the record.

Litchi's astral is only a charge move in CT. In CS, it's just D while standing on her staff.

A question for all you stick gurus out there. I have a hrap3 which took a little tumble off the cliff and one of the electronics boards on the inside broke into two pieces. Specifically the kind of swastika shaped nazi board that fits between the joystick and the gate.

Does anyone know where I could purchase a replacement piece? I'm not sure where the best place to start would be...

Any helps appreciated, Thanks guys!