Kyle

Arcade Stick vs Controller

It depends, you can also use pads in tourneys though, but what system you use them for could be an issue a converter may solve.

Sticks however shouldn't just be bought for tournament use only. If you enjoy playing with a joystick, just because you don't go to tournaments doesn't mean you should invest in one. Sticks however will not improve how you play a game versus how you play with a pad. Just because you can do (insert movement/combo here) faster than you can on a stick doesn't automatically mean a stick is better than a pad. How you perform depends on how much time you practice with your equipment. In the end, it all comes down to the user's preference.

*Slow claps*

That was.......simply beautiful

*Tears up*

Wow. I love this thread. This is even better than I thought it would be when it first started.

Also, did it REALLY take you that long to realize he was talking about the sensitivity of the buttons? He's only provided like three examples thus far. One of which you seem to enjoy laughing at because you don't understand what he meant. In fact, apparently you still don't? You are "Not going to let it go", and it's "the funniest thing ever", I hear.

In case you haven't noticed, you have to press buttons on a controller harder than you do with a set of Sanwa buttons. I don't care how far the travel distance of the buttons is, so put down the ruler. They have to be pressed harder. In fact, they actually RESIST getting pressed until X amount of force is applied. It's a little feature or whatever of the controller, so that they don't get activated by accident. And while this is helpful for 10-year-olds with lead hands, most fighting gamers demand quick reactions. Sanwa buttons, on the other hand, activate VERY easily. Just one light touch. They can also activate when dropped, or blown on, or any other example you won't understand. And THIS is why they let you perform moves quicker. They activate instantly when touched. Whereas a controller button is going to fight you back for a moment.

Also, stop arguing about how you're arguing. Why does every discussion turn into that...

I won't understand that you've got something seriously wrong with your buttons when blowing on them sets them off? No, I won't understand that exaggeration-stated-as-a-fact at all. :\

You did bring up another possible advantage of pads, though - because of the additional force required to activate them, it can make them more accurate.

Also - scroll up. qwerty quotes me saying, "You're saying a PS3 pad throw is the same as a Sanwa button?" and his reply is "Yes, drop it on your lap." So ya, I was assuming he was speaking non-gibberish and meant what he was saying. My bad. :\ It's still awfully funny - emphasis on the awful. :)

So now there's a few advantages to a pad - force to activate the buttons makes them less prone to error, coordinating a single digit to activate them can make them more accurate, travel distance makes it possibly faster to input them when tapping (as opposed to rolling, etc, where a joystick is much better).

Wish I could've locked this thread ten pages ago.

Would all of you mind dropping it? It's clear you're not getting anywhere.

I browsed through this. Nobody is making an iota of sense. You're just arguing subjective shit here. There are valid points both ways, but it is comfort and opinion. As well as what you grew up around...

can we just say i won this thread with my speech last page?

i agree with mr.mortifed. i can try with a ps3 paddle i guess. i just wish there was some way i can use my wii classic controller with it...

You did bring up another possible advantage of pads, though - because of the additional force required to activate them, it can make them more accurate.

Just get harder to engage buttons, lol.

There's a reason why some people prefer Seimitsu to Sanwa; they think Sanwa's too easy to activate.

Also - scroll up. qwerty quotes me saying, "You're saying a PS3 pad throw is the same as a Sanwa button?" and his reply is "Yes, drop it on your lap." So ya, I was assuming he was speaking non-gibberish and meant what he was saying. My bad. :\ It's still awfully funny - emphasis on the awful. :)

i meant what i said (and i said that the travel is less, because it is), but you still fail to understand the difference between "button making stuff happen on screen" and "button traveling as far as it can". it can only be expected when you play on pad though.

So now there's a few advantages to a pad - force to activate the buttons makes them less prone to error, coordinating a single digit to activate them can make them more accurate, travel distance makes it possibly faster to input them when tapping (as opposed to rolling, etc, where a joystick is much better).

spoken like a true pad scrub, lol.

The accuracy is in the player there, not the buttons. You're comparing a more precise instrument to a less precise one, and basically arguing that the average player will benefit from having less precision rather than more because they are bad.

Just get harder to engage buttons, lol.

There's a reason why some people prefer Seimitsu to Sanwa; they think Sanwa's too easy to activate.

Prefer seimitsus for that very reason. Also gonna try out an LS32 instead of that JLF.

Main thing is to experiment to see what you prefer. Like I said before, Joystick is not better than pad or pad better than joystick, but its up to how much you practice. I mean the top leader board person in XBL SF4 is a pad user (although he's using a mod). That has to say something right?

Food for thought, pad players:

Thumbs are slower and less accurate than fingers. Scientifically proven.

lol i said that right b4 the whole retarded argument even started :p

lol i said that right b4 the whole retarded argument even started :p

i hope i did not start it...

but on topic... i think it's up to the person if he/she wants it.

Wish I could've locked this thread ten pages ago.

Would all of you mind dropping it? It's clear you're not getting anywhere.

can we just say i won this thread with my speech last page?

Yes and yes.

I'm still saying a pad has it's advantages in total agreeance with mr.mortified - saying "My uber joysticks activates when I drops it and has sweet big buttons from Japans!!111" doesn't make it better. It's completely up to the player - who may prefer having harder to press buttons or a pad layout for whatever various reasons.

But ya, since this thread isn't actually here to be objective or on-topic and is only here so people can call others "pad scrubs" and debate their own debate skills - I vote for a lock. And purge... and burn it with fire.

and yet everything you're saying amounts to "i'm a neanderthal who has no control over my wrists or forearm or any finger that isn't my thumb, therefore stick sucks and pad is better".

and being objective, lol. as if there is such a thing as an objective opinion.

Holy crap. Really?

Ya, that pretty much finishes it. Clearly, successful qwerty troll was successful. You go enjoy your own weaboo rants, kid, I'll be over here playing the arcade versions on real joysticks in real cabinets in real arcades with real wooden cabinets, real Net City's, real control panels and real competition. And measuring things in real units of measurement and testing force with something other than my lap.

Lock, burn, sage, destroy, Marvelous Fatal K.O. this thread.

Ya, that pretty much finishes it. Clearly, successful qwerty troll was successful. You go enjoy your own weaboo rants, kid, I'll be over here playing the arcade versions on real joysticks in real cabinets in real arcades with real wooden cabinets, real Net City's, real control panels and real competition. And measuring things in real units of measurement and testing force with something other than my lap.

and what good is any of that if you can't even go out of your way to use it in an argument you supposedly have the higher ground in? for someone that demands proof as much as you do, you sure do a hell of a good job of not supplying it.

(you're still wrong, btw. but at least you'll be able to hook your pad up to a supergun, right? :))

dammit qwerty, i want a supergun now....

(actually i've always wanted one...)

I'll make do by making a fake vewlix cab one day.........

To be honest, if you throw out your pad, and play stick ONLY, you should be around your current execution level in 1-2 weeks unless you're some gdlk player

dammit qwerty, i want a supergun now....

(actually i've always wanted one...)

I'll make do by making a fake vewlix cab one day.........

lol, no you don't; you wanna wire a pad directly to a jamma board or get one of laugh's converters.

that's the thing about this whole argument though; i'm willing to concede that there are some people (read: very few) that actually are better on pad than they are on stick (this is of course, assuming they practice on both), and that some people prefer pad for whatever reasons. but to come out and say that pad is "objectively" better not only goes against the decades now of experience the collective community has, but also is a flat-out dumb statement to make, since nothing is ever "objectively" better than anything; it's all opinion, which is by definition subjective, lol.

what's true is that sanwa buttons require less force to activate and that wrists and your non-thumb fingers are more responsive than thumbs. you can argue to the hills that more control is a bad thing (which may be true, for you), but the fact of the matter is that while more control is harder to control, it is still, at the end of the day, more control.

That argument is pointless anyways, since it costs all of like $18 (or nothing, if you knew which ones you wanted in the first place) to just get buttons with less control, if too much control is somehow a bad thing.

You literally just make one change and effectively that apparent pad benefit is irrelevant cause oh shit, a stick can do it too if you're so inclined. Cool thing about choice.

I still don't get where this cabinet talk is relevant anywhere though. We're talking about sticks versus pad. The fact that pad is in the argument just blatantly underlines the fact we're talking about sticks to use with consoles. I don't think the person who builds a wooden cabinet and plugs in a pad is very common.

The closest we get to wood anything are stick cases made out of wood, which I'm not sure has that much in common with your wooden cabinets, since those are generally designed to fit screw in Japanese parts anyways, if someone so desired them.

Question: If I buy a 6 way button config'ed stick like: http://www.amazon.ca/Xbox-360-Fighting-Stick-EX/dp/B000V02P6Q/ref=sr_1_22?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1287544508&sr=1-22

Would my gameplay get fucked up if I suddenly played on a madcatz 8 button config?

I am kinda in charge of my cities BB community, and it would look good if I started playing on a stick. I am currently broke and I just spent the last 10 minutes looking at the sticks tier list and looking at prices, and including the fact that I live in Canada. I am a 360 user but we all know that tournament standards are on the ps3, meaning that I either but a ps3 stick with a x-converter to play on my 360 or a 360 stick that has a similar design to of a generic ps3 stick.

Thanks.

That's a preference thing.

Some people just refuse to play with 8 button config, since they'll actually accidentally hit the extra buttons with their pinky or something.

I do not think it is an issue for most people, however. And you can always unbind those buttons for extra caution, especially in BB where button settings is in the character select screen.

But for the most part, I don't think it will be a huge issue unless you're very particular about things.

also, when we were talking about distance between buttons earlier, i neglected to mention that measuring from the button housings is fairly misleading since they obviously don't activate the button when you press them. so, factoring that in, even when measuring from the edges, the buttons are much further apart than they are on any pad.

and look dude, just because i didn't measure the force needed to activate a button with a fucking accelerometer and a g meter doesn't mean i can't accurately gauge how much is required for it to register, lol. likewise with not having to measure travel distance with a fucking micrometer; i have much better things to do, like say, actually playing games.

besides, i highly doubt YOU'VE done such measurements yourself (and if you have, POST THEM). and what you're saying is in contradiction to what the community at large has adopted as matter-of-fact, so the burden of proof is on you, for better or worse.