Sign in to follow this  
Moroha

AC A.B.A. 101: RTSD with a 500lb. Key guide

Ok, jeez I was going nuts trying to figure out why it didn't work and nothing said it was character specific.

This is the biggest thing about getting info on GG, not enough specifics v_v.

One big part of learning guilty gear is knowing individual matchup knowledge- it's a good idea to get used to which hitboxes are weird to combo early on, so it's natural to change your combos on those characters later.

5P j.D doesn't work there, not sure what Moroha meant to write.

She has a stronger stuff in the corner anyways, so I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about that combo.

Once you are familiar enough with the character, it is a good idea to watch match videos of better ABA players and emulate the combos and strings they use. It's an easy way to figure out which combos have practical use.

Edited by Hellmonkey

^Not that I'm aware of.

Really though, Moroha's guide is fantastic and tells you everything you need to know. If you need to pair some visual guides along with it, watch match videos of Tsubu/Dio to get a better grasp on how to play her effectively, and watch practical combo vids (read: NOT flashy situational stuff) to get a grasp on timing, positioning, etc. After that, study the matchup threads (in ABA's forum vs. her opponents AND in her opponent's forums vs. ABA), practice, and it will come together in time.

Really though, Moroha's guide is fantastic

I totally agree ! I mean this is quite complete and yet not overwhelming for beginners or sucky A.B.A players (raising my hand here). Also looked at the matches you posted and they were great ! Just a little detail : calling keygrab a command grab could be confusing since it can be guarded and all...I's a command move with a really cool grab-like animation, but hey that's just a detail ! Urgh I'm really annoying right now : Anyways just thanks and keep up the good work

Technically it's a command grab AND a blockable special. If ABA's opponent is in throw range and able to be thrown on frame 9, the command grab comes out and it cannot be blocked. If they aren't in range, the strike version comes out, which is why it works in combos.

Edited by Skeletal Minion

Technically it's a command grab AND a blockable special

I didn't even realize that this move could be used as a command grab ! thanks for the info, learning more about A.B.A everyday thanks to you guys !

Excuse my ignorance, but in the normal mode video, when it says you can string a bloodpack after 5HS, what does it mean? I see ABA using a bloodpack without depleting one in the vid, but when I try it myself in training mode (360 version) it doesn't work, am I doing something wrong? Was that actually in training mode? If so, what are the advantages in doing bloodpack after 5HS? I see it being mentioned a bit in the OP.

Edited by Mumm-Ra

^Using a bloodpack will always cost a pack if it results in a transformation. The video likely had infinite bloodpacks turned on in training mode.

The reason to use it after a 5H on hit or block is because even if they block it, the pushback on it is so great that they're usually too far away to punish your bloodpack. This is not foolproof, as exceptions definitely exist, but it's definitely a good option in many instances.

In the same vein, I'll add that blood packing after a blocked Normal mode 6H is often not a bad idea. That move has terrible recovery, so it's best to cancel it into a special if guarded, and with the large pushback, bloodpack can be a solid choice.

Obviously ABA is not Millia/Ino, but how strong are her mixups in Moroha? or more like, what kind of mixups does she have outside frametraps (which ARE very strong).

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for doing the FRC on the last rekka? I can do the 2H FRC perfectly now but can't get a feel for (or even the actual time I'm supposed to be clicking) down.

@Diveman: ABA as average mixup as far GG is concerned. Nothing too great but with the new EX bloodball in Moroha mode she has better then she did in AC. On the plus side almost every touch with her leads in to great damange, and again because of the new rekka loops she can get easy carry and damage. I would go more into detail but i feel that someone more qualified should add what ones are her best.

@powerstar: The last hit on the rekka FRC is right as she slams the key downward. IIRC you can actually FRC before the strike...but its around that part try training mode and turn on inputs for when the window is and grind away~

The best mixup ABA has going for her is probably her j.S fuzzy since it's a true 50/50. Other than that, I mainly frame trap or go for throws to get damage.

You can also setup some neat stuff with dash jump Orbs FRC just before landing on their wakeup. By FRCing, you can immediately land for a 2K low, do a quick j.P for a high, airdash > whatever, do another Orbs, etc. It also completely ruins their shit if you get a counter hit with the Orbs since practically any combo you follow it up with will do ridiculous damage.

FB Bloodball is another good option for oki. Use it like Testament web, so it meaties and forces a block when they stand, then run in and do stuff (high, low, throw, keygrab, etc).

Also, beware of using the flipkick too much--once they realize its gimmick is negated by jumping and normal blocking, that move becomes A LOT worse. Meatying with it helps, but they can still backdash or reversal it. Use sparingly and with caution.

Also, regarding Rekka FRC: it's a 2f window, being the exact frame the third Rekka connects and the frame after. Practice makes perfect--if no cancel happens, you're hitting it too early; if you get a regular Roman Cancel (red), you're hitting it too late.

it seems like the f.s and c.s in that combo should be switched.... f.s is far slash, the move that comes out if you press slash outside of point blank range.

Just wanted to pop in here and thank everyone for contributing to this amazingly helpful thread.

I picked up AC+ when it released on XBLA and this thread has been so helpful in teaching me how to play ABA, I actually feel somewhat competent with the character even after only a couple weeks.

How much of this stuff is still relevant for +R? Can I just do the same basic thing and just not double keystab? Or do I have to go a different combo route now that double stab doesn't work the same?

EDIT: I'm assuming neutral is still the same.

Character is basically the same, but overall better, and yes, now that double keystab doesn't work you either go into goku moroha or bloodpack frc>keystab to reset your moroha meter now.

Sign in to follow this