Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IronTager

Reviving tournaments

House gatherings are actually pretty darn cool if you get enough people. At the most recent one I held with a couple of friends we actually managed to get some people trying out guilty gear, they spent alot for a stick so they might as well play everything is their philosophy.

which is another thing, If you know someone whose strictly in another game fighting scene, or at least desperately trying to get into the fighting scene, but is planning on making the move to stick soon try and get em to try out guilty gear. Most will be pretty okay with the idea since they did just spend alot of cash(my buddy spent like 300+ on his and he figured it'd be a nice time to try out other games besides 3rd strike)

as for tournaments at colleges. I've managed to piggyback off of the "gamers" group at my college. They were holding an SFIV tourney and i asked if they might have some room to spare for a couple of extra fighting games. needless to say it was a pretty good success :D well...sort of i mean there were alot of people reluctant to play guilty gear. but after it was broadcast that it was just casuals people joined in, hell even the people who were waiting for their match in SFIV gave it a shot.

Dunno if there's a chance of breaking off a smaller group from the gamers group into a sort of fighting game group. mainly cuz most of the gamers group is people who LAN Party MW2 =_=;;;

MW2 =_=;;;

That game is terrible. I feel bad that you know people who actually play it.

But yes, that's actually the most common way for people to get into GG. It's all about word of mouth-- over at a friends house, at the local community college. In fact, a lot of groups hold gatherings at community colleges, usually in some lounge or whatever. Lots of hype when passerbys ask if it's street fighter though. "YOU GUYS PLAYING STREET FIGHTER?" "BITCH DOES THIS LOOK LIKE YOUR PUSSY STREET FIGHTER?" I digress.

Ha im late entering this but started fighting games by playing BB, i live in toledo IronTager if you wanted to try and get something together im willing to work on learning the game. I have been trying to get some people together to throw a tournament for BB and probably ssf4 although im not a big fan it, in toledo or some where in michigan since its on the border.

Go to tournaments

Play guilty all night

Get super drunk

Go 2-2 in tourney

pass out

Wish all weekends went like this. Go to majors people.

Good news on my end. Been bringing Guilty Gear more to my college. People have been interested lately. I'm gonna bring up the tournaments that happen down in the Detroit area and see if that'll fill in more people and whatnot. There are two separate parts of the campuses I travel to and so it's kind of twice the mention lately. One campus seems to know it better than another but the more that get informed, the better. They've been a bit impressed by the flashyness of the game. Hopefully it'll start something.

We are looking to bring some casuals on the side for GG at the michigan masters tournament on the 18th up at gameyard. Hoping it may help start some things in the fighting game scene around here.

Disclaimer: this post is not directed at the last several pages of posts, which are all very positive and constructive. Best of luck finding other people to play with, and keep up the good work. If you don't know what I'm talking about though and can't see examples in this thread (even though they're there), check the locked FRC thread and the recent front page thread discussion.

I am a long time gamer who just recently bought a stick and copies of SSFIV and BBCS. GG looks really cool to the point that I'm interested in getting both a PS2 and online emulation copy and trying it out. My college also has a gamer group and some people just started a sub group dedicated to fighting games. At our fighting game nights, we have BBCS, SSFIV, and Tekken 6. Some people also used to play GG, but they aren't pushing to have it included as well. Why? In my estimation, it's because the GG community seems to talk almost exclusively about how every other game is terrible in comparison and that people who play other games and don't have the time or interest to sit in training mode for hours on end learning FRC timing are inferior human beings who are unworthy of playing their beloved game of choice. By contrast, we do everything our in our power to get as many people into the scene through positive support and good old emphasis on "having fun" (a foreign concept, I know). Elitism in ultra competitive gaming is nothing new (see the whole NE "stay free" mentality in SSFIV). I have NEVER, however, seen a group of gamers so hateful of people who aren't amazing at an extremely execution dependent game, ESPECIALLY when someone argues that laser-precise mechanical dexterity shouldn't be required to play a game competitively. Some of us like fighting games but have jobs, relationships, and lives generally, and learning combos, spacing, fundamentals and so on in SSFIV and BBCS is all we have the time and interest to do. Color us unworthy.

Despite these facts though, every thread I ever read about reviving the GG scene still invariably turns into a bitch fest where all of the GG veterans hate on everyone other than themselves. This is not the way to bring back a game that has been abandoned. I'm still going to pick up the game because the videos of SBO grand finals from this year had me in awe of its design and the huge space to improve in. With that said, if we manage to get it incorporated into fight night no one is going to network with Dustloop elitists who may have won majors and ruled arcades all day in the past but now have no one to talk to other than themselves because of their terrible attitudes.

And to all the keyboard warriors who claim to want to bring this game back and are itching to fire off a fresh salvo by the time they finish reading this post, just remember: your game is dead, and your way of trying to bring it back isn't working. Until and unless it changes, prepare to have fun playing with yourselves exclusively and not the unwashed masses whose support you claim to want.

Note: I read the BBCS forums regularly and am not trolling here. Mods feel free to let me know if I'm being out of turn but I don't think this is any less negative than the countless personal insults I see thrown around here daily (also see Exhibit A: SRK).

I really think the problem is two fold, one, there actually are some elitist out there who crap all over other games that make the rest of us look bad. Up here in washington we GET players in our GG/BB scene(they are the same scene for the most part, we go to all the same events, there's lots of cross over in player base, even our smaller meets are very mixed) because we are one of the most accepting. We have actually had people come to BB/GG meets purely because they felt like it was too hard to get into other scenes. Two people put down other games/defend GG because GG got crapped on for a looonnggg time by other communities.

I have some more stuff to say about why the GG scene is awesome and way more accepting than you think, but I gotta go for now(gonna go play GG!).

In my estimation, it's because the GG community seems to talk almost exclusively about how every other game is terrible in comparison and that people who play other games and don't have the time or interest to sit in training mode for hours on end learning FRC timing are inferior human beings who are unworthy of playing their beloved game of choice. By contrast, we do everything our in our power to get as many people into the scene through positive support and good old emphasis on "having fun" (a foreign concept, I know). I have NEVER, however, seen a group of gamers so hateful of people who aren't amazing at an extremely execution dependent game, ESPECIALLY when someone argues that laser-precise mechanical dexterity shouldn't be required to play a game competitively.

For a lot of us, the bolded portions are the only issue we have, because GG isn't like that. It doesn't take that much work to learn the game (if you're practicing 1 frame links, then 3 frame FRC windows should be three times as easy), and the constant exaggerations of how much work it does take do more damage to the scene than anything we could say imo.

I picked up GG right after the release of AC (in the US), and it was my first fighting game I had ever played. When my sport was cut by my school (Rutgers) I started to go to the gaming club because I actually had the spare time to do so. FG's thrived there in the form of KoF, GG, MB, and Smash (yes Smash). This is when I went out and bought GG and picked up Jam. I had no prior FG experience... all my one friend did was point me to this site for guides and help.

For someone who had never played a fighting game before, it wasn't hard to pick up little things as I went along: FD-braking, 1F jumps, option-selects, spacing, hit-confirming... the list goes on.

While I was learning the game mechanics the execution came with it. As you play more and more you realize what you need to work on, and what you need to add your your game. Did learning the Jam throw FRC keep me from playing the game? No. I worked on it a little bit every day, for maybe 5-10minutes so that I wouldn't have to think about it during a match. I wanted the move in my muscle memory. This ultimately happens in every fighting game: you play it to the point where playing your character doesn't require you to think about every move you make. Hit-confirms become second nature and your combos get dropped less and less. You don't learn a character or the game in a day, but that seems what everyone wants now. The funny thing is every fighting game takes time and practice to learn, but why do people only complain about GG's execution? 1F links in Super, pixel links in MB, ROM infinite in Marvel, wave dashing in Smash, juggles in Tekken... every fighting game out there takes time to learn, why is GG any different? I don't know who started the 'GG execution is godlike' crap, but whoever doesn't want to play GG just because of what they read on some forums without trying to play the game in the first place only have themselves to blame.

Find your local scene or make one. Travel to tournaments and meet new people. Tournaments are a lot different than what goes on here.

The only reason there's hate on people is because when they say GG is too hard to learn, then it's easy to see they never really sat down to try and learn the game in the first place.

What more do you want? No one is going to play the game for you.

every fighting game out there takes time to learn.

very ture....and then there was BB:CS but i really feel what your saying.

Lets just say being a 17 year old in the fgc trying to convenc people to start playing is hard. Hell even the people who I know in the fgc who are adults don't want to play becuase I can't set up a troney becuase my tv(s) are not plasma :(

Lets just say being a 17 year old in the fgc trying to convenc people to start playing is hard. Hell even the people who I know in the fgc who are adults don't want to play becuase I can't set up a troney becuase my tv(s) are not plasma :(

Anyone who knows what they're talking about knows most HDTVs are garbage for fighting games.

Anyone who knows what they're talking about knows most HDTVs are garbage for fighting games.

Well please tell that to all the people in my torney scene. They Act like everyone has money to buy HDTVs. And now with this info I might be able to set up some torneys. Wish me luck

Oh befor I set up tournements What are the exact rules for GGAC tournaments. All I know is that Keff and Justic are banned, 2 out of 3 matches(the finals have 3 out of 5), 99sec rounds ,and i think 3 rounds a match

Normal character modes only, console GG tourneys use the arcade version for reference, so no EX/gold/shadow/etc.

Basically, if you play without a memory card, you're good. None of the bans will (hopefully) have to be enforced.

We just had a BB/GG tournament Sunday, and had just as many people enter GG as BB. Most of the players have gotten significantly better at GG and have been neglecting their BB practice.

It seems like there might be a GG revival in SoCal, at least until CS2 comes out.