Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Linear04

Easy characters to use in GG?

Ky and Pot are easy. Ky I know from experience. Pot I know from the general consensus.

You wouldn't say that in XX, #R and AC (Ky wise).

First 2, because Ky had to TRY VERY HARD to deal damage. AC, coz he's overall changed.

Slash Ky is lol though

Don't try starting with Venom, Zato (sama~), Millia or Robo Ky.

You'll get frustrated.

Ky is said to be "lol ez mode" because his moves are similar to your traditional shoto. However, learning to pressure with him (and that heavily involves lotsa Charged Stun Edge FRC) and using his normals isn't really that straight forward. Most of the asshats that use this statement like to abuse Stun Dipper and Greed Sever coz "lol broken moves".

Hey, I started with Venom. Venom is a high mid tier character with no horrible matchups. I wouldn't say that he has really hard stuff, he just has a lot of stuff. People should just play who they end up liking and not cry about difficulty.

st

Honestly, just play all of the characters, eventually one will really suit you, as you will say "Now THIS is the character I need to play" and you won't go back.

Hey, I started with Venom. Venom is a high mid tier character with no horrible matchups. I wouldn't say that he has really hard stuff, he just has a lot of stuff. People should just play who they end up liking and not cry about difficulty.

st

Honestly, just play all of the characters, eventually one will really suit you, as you will say "Now THIS is the character I need to play" and you won't go back.

I never meant to talk about matchups. More like difficulty to use.

Venom's overall shit would scare a newbie. I personally started picking him up after a while because I liked his game style, even though understanding him takes A LOT of time.

Matchups are something else.

You wouldn't say that in XX, #R and AC (Ky wise).

First 2, because Ky had to TRY VERY HARD to deal damage. AC, coz he's overall changed.

Slash Ky is lol though

I'm mainly referring to AC because I haven't play XX in several years. I am saying he's easy to start off with like learning normals and special moves. As for actually learning shit and incorporating his gameplay into higher level situation, I'm pretty sure he's difficult. Then again, I don't main Ky so I'm not exactly sure on how easy or hard it is to progress with him to a higher level.

Operational definition of "Easy to pick up:"

You can get to an intermediate level of play with less effort than other characters.

That is to say, learning moves? What the fuck ever. I mean beating good people. Not great, but good enough to not just be like "OMG I CAN DO A DP WATCH."

From a pure execution standpoint, Ky is the easiest. His options are rather limited, so after 30-40 min of sitting down and practicing (which is something I ought to do someday), you can pretty much do anything he is capable of with relative ease.

However, winning with him is a whole different matter altogether (´・ω・`)

From a pure execution standpoint, Ky is the easiest. His options are rather limited, so after 30-40 min of sitting down and practicing (which is something I ought to do someday), you can pretty much do anything he is capable of with relative ease.

However, winning with him is a whole different matter altogether (´・ω・`)

HE KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT! I watched him for an hour troll qwerty by trying to IK him every round. It was amazing XD

May dolphin combos use these input trick.

Using [4],9 to Jump-Install the horizontal dolphins.

Charging during Hitstop while delaying inputs.

Input buffering trick to allow running dolphins and 5P, HSVD. = [4], 66, S/HS OR [2], 5P, 8HS.

Her face value is rather simple, but a HUGE execution barrier will hurt most new players from using May.

This is not true in the least bit. Ky's really good combos (2D>HS SE FRC>etc.) require very specific timing and are incredibly character specific. Ky needs that damage to compete at high levels.

This is not true in the least bit. Ky's really good combos (2D>HS SE FRC>etc.) require very specific timing and are incredibly character specific. Ky needs that damage to compete at high levels.

Actually, those combos aren't quite as hard as you make them out to be. I had originally thought (probably like most other people) that it's all about getting the HS SE FRC timing to a tee, but it's really more of a spacing issue. When you view it in that way, the HS SE combos become surprisingly easy to do. I got them after 5 min of trying once I understood that it's more spacing than timing.

Also, the forcebreak combos are several times easier for 20-30 pts less damage if you really fail at the SE combos.

That's true, and that arguably makes it even more difficult for a beginner to learn. I would also argue that the 20-30 points of damage are a big deal for Ky, since he has to fight so hard for comparable damage to begin with.

I think I'll mirror the slayer mentions. I'm new to Guilty myself, and I feel the power of slayer. Of course, It's fucking Guilty Gear, so i'm pathetic, But because his random pokes do so much damage especially basic random combos, I think he's a good character that can get you into the game. It really did that for me, at least.

I think I'll mirror the slayer mentions. I'm new to Guilty myself, and I feel the power of slayer. Of course, It's fucking Guilty Gear, so i'm pathetic, But because his random pokes do so much damage especially basic random combos, I think he's a good character that can get you into the game. It really did that for me, at least.

I definitely agree. I knew from the moment I picked up the game that I wanted to play :MI:, but I just didn't have the skill or knowledge of the engine to play her effectively at first. After a few months with :SL: and :BA:, I finally understood enough about how to defend against and avoid attacks to pick Millia back up, learn her basics, and be somewhat effective.

That said, I'd like to mention Baiken as relatively easy to learn as well. Yes, she uses a strange input (412) and requires FRCs to be effective at mid to high level (every character requires FRCs though), but she also has relatively simple combos and the best ability to escape / reverse pressure in the game, especially at a low level. She also has a pretty small set of special moves, which demonstrate almost the full range of standard inputs used in Guilty Gear.

Don't try starting with Venom, Zato (sama~), Millia or Robo Ky.

You'll get frustrated.

When people say that Millia is really hard to use, are they mainly just talking about technical demands? Or is the mental game just as big a factor in how noob-unfriendly she supposedly is?

This question could apply to the other characters listed too, I'm just personally interested in Millia specifically.

just pick a character you like and learn them. eventually everything will become easy for you to do.

I intend to. :) The question was more out of curiosity than anything.

When people say that Millia is really hard to use, are they mainly just talking about technical demands? Or is the mental game just as big a factor in how noob-unfriendly she supposedly is?

This question could apply to the other characters listed too, I'm just personally interested in Millia specifically.

Being able to do normal and relaunch combos into the corner as well as combos while you got the opponent in the corner that lead to knockdown which you need to be able to do in order to do damage and setup dish laying requires in depth knowledge of all the characters hitboxes as well as in depth knowledge of the properties of Millia's moves due to her combos being so character specific. Also, You can't rely on memorizing combos since much of Millia's combo's change depending on the move that hit, height, and character hit.

There's more but that's all I feel qualified to say.

For me, at least, it was both - finding time to plan and still executing. The window to combo off of her throw feels pretty tight (15F, counting both the short dash in and the 7F c.S startup), and without being able to do throw combos, she's missing an important source of damage.

That said, just stick with whoever you like, unless there's some aspect of the game you think you'd learn better with another character. My reason for playing other characters at first was that I was trying to learn how to defend and counter better, since Millia shouldn't really be on defense very often.