Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Linear04

Easy characters to use in GG?

?

order sol is like, the second hardest character in the game.

1st being Eddie? :/ well I guess in a sense of Order Sol being "Double Meter Dependent" makes him difficult in hands of a beginner. Ok,lemme rephrase what i meant. Order Sol seems easy,once you get the basics of FRC,Mix-up and Jump Installing down, and If you're able to micro manage while fighting I.E Charge Store every opportunity you get.

if you ask me, the hardest character in this game is aba. hos being second and past that it's a crapshoot.

what makes them both hard is that they're momentum based characters; one mistake with either one of them and you've lost. hos less than aba, because he can still do stuff without charge meter (though he's a weaker character all around, at least you're given a few more chances than say, with aba).

it's like the guy who said the hardest part of playing johnny is training mode; it's not that training mode isn't hard, but knowing how to poke (and how to move) is so much harder that many people switch mains because of it.

eddie, who many say is the hardest character, is the exact opposite. the hardest part of playing eddie is learning all the unblockable setups, and once you get his footsies down every match becomes training mode unless your opponent knows the matchup at least as well as you do.

l think Testament is also a great pick for beginners.

Not to mention, every friend l played with mained or subbed him, t'was ridiculous. -_-

214PxN

Order Sol seems kinda easy too.

eh, his AC FRC's are easy.... that's about it, super jumping for practically all his air combos, charge save, gun blaze charge save (lolbuttonpriorities), managing 2 meters, low range, jump install.... too tough.

HOS, as a character, is hard because unless you have level 3 and/or Tension, you have almost nothing you can abuse. qwerty mentioned that HOS is a momentum character, which I agree with. Unless you have a lot of resources on hand, you are heavily reliant on making good reads on your opponent's habits and then capitalizing as best you can. Before you even get to that point, you have to get in on your opponent first, which isn't exactly easy. Micromanaging his Charge is also a lot more difficult than it sounds, which is part of the reason why you don't see a lot of top players doing it: they mostly just try to get the highest level of meter they can get and then go from there. His ability to mix up is also overrated, he's more about pressuring your opponent and goading them into making mistakes, then punishing them for it. He has very little in terms of actual blind 50/50 mixups that are strong.

l tried HOS, for a time and i'll agree, he is very hard to play.

Also l think I-No needs to be in top 3 hardest becasuse her dash alone takes weeks to get used to imo, and that just her basic technique.

l still disagree on the ABA bit, shes just more risky for huge payout.

Ease of Use? (As in handling and being intuitive, not as in easy to master or related to tiers in any way)

Easy:

May

Jam

Pot

Faust

Axl

Anji

Testament

Chipp

Moderately Hard:

Bridget

Dizzy

Zappa

Eddie

Hard:

I-no

Robo-Ky

Venom

HOS

Johnny

These are just a few things that come to my mind. I will add, explain and edit later.

I wouldn't put any charge caracter on the easy characters list...

I've messed around with May (in #R, admittedly), and I found her very easy to pick up and play in general.

Charges in GG feel like half a second, so the charging isn't a problem, and she has no problem getting stuns off of any combos involving her 6P.

Okay? And why do you say that? (The cursing wasn't necessary btw.)

Most of her bnb's are FRC combos into but loops or other corner combos. Getting into moroha can be in the pain in the ass especially if your opponent knows how to fight against you. Not to mention try to staying in moroha mode can be a pain if your being constantly pressured. Keeping track of your health and knowing when to switch back to normal mode to regain some of your health back before your knocked out of moroha mode.

Do you want me to keep going?

above all, making a single mistake with aba (be it in execution, spacing, pressure, mixup, whatever) fucks you over big time.

missed a double keygrab combo? now you either have to use a bloodpack or try to land another hit on your opponent so you can try again. opponent blocked all your shit? now you have half moroha meter at best and have to consider the likelihood of getting knocked down. i could keep going, but you get the point.

no other character, not even hos, is that unforgiving.

Everyone's playing style is different. What you guys apparently think is very hard is incredibly easy for me.

She favors risk and reward. lmo all that does is balances her, not make her harder, but w/e.

Hell, l think Millia is hella hard, yet someone might say (Hypothetically speaking), 'wtf Millia is hella easy' and i'd just have to respect that, because maybe she is easy, to them.

Not saying you guys are wrong, just saying (IMO) that A.B.A is pretty easy to play smoothly.

Everyone's playing style is different. What you guys apparently think is very hard is incredibly easy for me.

She favors risk and reward. lmo all that does is balances her, not make her harder, but w/e.

Hell, l think Millia is hella hard, yet someone might say (Hypothetically speaking), 'wtf Millia is hella easy' and i'd just have to respect that, because maybe she is easy, to them.

Not saying you guys are wrong, just saying (IMO) that A.B.A is pretty easy to play smoothly.

You can't ignore the fact that her best attack mode hurts her every time she uses it, three knockdowns means you're dead, and that if you fuck up it becomes obscenely difficult for you to get back on the offensive, just because you can apparently RTSD perfectly. Who are you playing against, what's your actual win percentage? How well are you really doing with this character that you seem to think is so easy?

Furthermore, if you're going to consistently inhibit discussion with "well in my opinion you're wrong," then we'd be better off if you just left the discussion alone. It's not adding anything.

Ease of Use? (As in handling and being intuitive, not as in easy to master or related to tiers in any way)

Easy:

May

Jam

Pot

Faust

Axl

Anji

Testament

Chipp

Moderately Hard:

Bridget

Dizzy

Zappa

Eddie

Hard:

I-no

Robo-Ky

Venom

HOS

Johnny

These are just a few things that come to my mind. I will add, explain and edit later.

I'd actually like to hear your reasoning for Chipp being in the easy category, as I've never fought a competent Chipp from our scene or particularly dabbled with him as a character to use. He always came off as high risk low reward to me.

My humble opinion from playing Guilty Gear competitively since the day Slash came out. I have written blurbs on characters I feel I can talk about with a modicum of confidence; I have simply placed the others in the categories I feel they belong. This is taking that mass combination of execution, playstyle difficulty / ease of success, matchups, normals / specials set, offense (damage / oki) defense (reversals / life) and every other category you can thing of - and throwing it together for this list below.

Easy:

Potemkin. (Extremely simple character to play effectively; a player that has a firm grasp of Guilty Gear can pick up a basic Pot quickly. The execution difficulty lies in Buster FRC and Slide Head timing. Simple and great anti air in 6P, ground pokes in S, 5H, 2D, simple yet frightening oki, Slide Head being..well, Slide Head, huge damage and the largest health pool in the game mean Pot is a character you can pick up and start understanding matchups quick.)

May. (While May has her problem matchups, she is a good character with extremely high damage. When a new May player has gotten comfortable with charging and has learned the dust combos, the basic S HS Dolph loop off OHK and 2D xx FB Dolphin, she is ready to play.)

Testament. (Testament is the easiest of the zoney characters to pick up and find success with. One of the game's best characters alongside Eddie, Testament does everything well except his reversal game (not good, though you WILL get away with frame 2 FEXEs) and his mediocre health pool. Basic combos are not terribly difficult to pick up; execution difficulty lies in TK Badlands / Badlands timing / comboability, as well as the learning the staple of his pressure game - the EXE FRCs. His specials, normals and oki will all make a ton of sense in no time. The only tough spot is his anti air game, since his 6P is generally used for oki, but when you get the hang of 6K, j.P, instant j.S, airthrow and pre-emptive webs, you are ready to play.)

A.B.A. (Quick to learn damaging combos, hardest part being Orb FRCs, 2H IADs and learning to SJC. It will take time to understand proper bloodpack and Moroha bar management; learning when to combo for damage or for a fresh set of knockdowns. Excellent at low to mid levels of play due to phenomenal normals esp. j.H, danzai safety, high damage, and terrifying mixup; harder to win with at higher level where opponent has threatening oki (3x knockdown guaranteed IK) takes more advantage of normal mode, danzais are consistently punished, opponent compensates for ABA's funny weight / wakeup time and unblock / dust are handled better.)

Med - Easy

Axl. Axl has surprising damage for a character in the vein of Dhalsim; comboing into 6K or 2S -> SJ etc into FB Bomber is something that won't take long to pick up and will net good damage. Rensen FRC important for pressure; TK bombers might take a little getting used to. The primary difficulty in learning Axl is getting comfortable with your normals to keep people away from you, and then playing good defense since his reversals are relatively awful.)

Ky. (Ky may be the true shoto of the game, but while his gameplay can certainly be simple enough (Win off the back of f.S / 2S / 2D / projectiles against the ground / 6P / instant j.K / SRK against the air), his damage without making some guard bar cranks isn't terribly impressive, and he will also need to learn how to handle some matchups before finding success. His 5D however (much like everyone else's) will catch plenty at early levels of play. Stun Edge FRCs can be difficult to get consistent with and are important to maxing your Ky.)

Others: Order Sol, Sol, Faust, Baiken.

Medium

Anji. (Decent is the best word to describe Anji. His basic combos aren't too hard to get a grip on. Nothing particularly special about him save Birthday Cake air overhead special and Fujin aka Horizontal Shoryu. Combos and FRCs can be tricky; 3S (right?) cancels are tricky and not mandatory but good to know. His lockdown/oki is serviceable and can get tricky when incorporating ambiguous hops, multiple air normals into potential cake, hop dustcloud obscuring view and red butterfly)

Millia. Millia is bottom tier when it comes to getting hit. Between her excellent mobility, double airdash, j.D, j.K, 5K, 2D, FB Disc, and especially the dreaded pin, you can make getting hit frustrating for your opponent. The real difficulty lies in mastering her oki game, where the sky's the limit; but to have a serviceable oki and Millia game in general, it takes knowing enough to end your combos in either a low j.D or EX Disc -> 6H for knockdown and the threatening oki. When you are able to apply a high / low / throw game that ends right back where it began, and you get comfortable with pin use, you will have a Millia that is ready to play.)

Eddie. The strength of the character is too great to place him any higher than med high and I still feel he's medium difficulty; while the degree of execution difficulty Latif plays at is very high and likely the character's cap, the base Eddie mixup and game plan is, though terribly awkward at first, more than attainable. Negative edging will take time to learn and grow comfortable with, but once the player learns the base low / overhead / throw mixups and starts making use of Lil' Eddie, he is able to compete.)

Venom. (The sky may be the limit with Venom's oki, but if you have a decent idea of how to utilize NORMALS and how to zone, you will find success with Venom. 6P, 6H, f.S, all fantastic moves; just don't whiff. Careful use of dead angles can also save your ass, and Dark Angel is still one of the best supers in the game.)

Others: Dizzy, Order Sol, Zappa, Robo-Ky.

Med-Hard

Slayer. (Is Slayer one of the best in the game? Can he kill you rather fast, tension or no tension, off simple hits? Does he put you in scary situations, have one of the best sets of normals / antiairs, while also being rather slippery for how good the rest of him is? Of course. But the difference between his beginner combos (j.K, j.2K..) and his difficult, higher damage, char specific combos is very significant, while consistency with his relatively difficult ground links being mandatory for success.)

Bridget. Between the noteworthy execution factor, the low life, lukewarm damage and the poor srk, you need to understand a lot of things to find early success with Bridget. She has a rather odd set of normals that will take some getting used to, and you generally have little room for error.

Chipp: Chipp is flat out bottom tier when it comes to getting hit, so learning the game - how to recognize reaction moves, traps and gimmicks, and just how to play in general with Chipp will be going through the school of hard knocks. His combos from what I understand can also be rather difficult to pull off, especially when it comes to the IAD stuff. He still has good normals; 5H (neutral on block I believe!), 2D, j.H / j.D, has teleports, a serviceable shoryu (not great, but he needs one), good oki, and is the fastest character in the game. That being said, it will take time to learn the situational risks, the movement, and everything else associated with his actual gameplay, not to mention the execution component.)

Others: Johnny.

Hard

I-No. (High execution consistency is mandatory with I-No; she has a great far range game and terrifying up close / oki game - among the best in AC - but awful mid range footsie game means every hit must be converted into best damage and bare minimum knockdown with no exception. Combos are very difficult; enjoy 6FRC6. Some difficult matchups [May, ABA, Slayer etc] don't make things any easier. But when you get that knockdown...)

My personal opinion is that making any sort of "difficulty to learn" ranking will change for every individual. Every character in GG is tough to learn at any decent level (everyone is execution heavy and requires extensive matchup knowledge), and when picking up a character at first I believe the player's interest in the character & playstyle matters much much more than something like combo execution or limited options in zoning. Just play who you like, and start from the basics.

Thats pretty much how I feel. There's no right or wrong way to play a character, Just choose whoever interests you and have fun using them. It's pretty much how I play Order Sol and Regular Sol.

edit - taking the high road and just going to shut up.

@Moroha - Hrmm.

Also, where would you put Bridget?

@GGJ - Yeah everyone's playstyle is different, kinda what im being shut down for saying -_- but there are some chars that are so hard you can't ignore it like l-no.