Kairi

Guilty Gear FAQ Thread - Ask your questions here!

hey this may be stupid to ask, but here goes is GG still for the ps2 or has it made the jump to the 360, and or the ps3?
Yes and yes.

The currently played version of the game is both on Ps2 and 360/PS3 (in their online stores).

However, the current gen versions are both expecting an update that won't likely come to ps2 ever.

I'm playing on a ps3 controller. On all other games, I can do double quarter circle motions on the dpad, but for some reason, when I try to do them in GG the move doesnt come out. If I do 236236 on the analog stick, the move will come out, but if I do 236236 on the dpad, it will not come out. What is the reason for this? Is the input very strict, or something? I went in training mode and turned on the option to show the inputs, and they appeared identical between my dpad attempt and my analog stick attempt, but the move comes out when I use analog and not when I use dpad. I mean I guess it's not a big deal to use the analog stick whenever i want to do a double quarter circle motion, I'm just trying to identify why exactly it doesnt work on dpad? I was inputting the motion the same speed... I dont know. Any insight would be very helpful, thanks.

I'm playing on a ps3 controller. On all other games, I can do double quarter circle motions on the dpad, but for some reason, when I try to do them in GG the move doesnt come out. If I do 236236 on the analog stick, the move will come out, but if I do 236236 on the dpad, it will not come out. What is the reason for this? Is the input very strict, or something? I went in training mode and turned on the option to show the inputs, and they appeared identical between my dpad attempt and my analog stick attempt, but the move comes out when I use analog and not when I use dpad. I mean I guess it's not a big deal to use the analog stick whenever i want to do a double quarter circle motion, I'm just trying to identify why exactly it doesnt work on dpad? I was inputting the motion the same speed... I dont know. Any insight would be very helpful, thanks.
If everything else is completely identical I can only guess that you press the button at the wrong time when you do it on pad or are mistaken about your speed.

hmm, thanks.

Also, why is the game called Guilty Gear? I understand the "gear" part, but not the "guilty" part?

Story mode time!

The title "Guilty Gear" refers to Sol Badguy, the main protagonist. The Gear part is obvious, as you've figured out, but the reason he's known as the Guilty Gear is that he was part of the team to design the theory behind Gears to start with. In doing so, he was part of the research of the creation of Gears, and is in some way responsible for the Holy Crusades and the blood shed during the wars between Gears and Humanity. As such Sol considers himself to have a need to repent (mostly by destroying harmful Gears nowadays), labeling himself as the Guilty Gear, the one responsible for everything happening.

(side note: Dizzy is known as the Innocent Gear, since she was born after the Crusades and is probably the only Gear not to have shed any blood or have any relation to the wars!)

He was the first if I remember right. Sol is probably the oldest character next to Slayer (who beats him by quite a bit), so no need for him to time travel. That's all Axl and I-No right?

So... does I-No know about Queen too?

"Guilty" gear is a recurring theme of series and can be applied to many characters. Justice, who was the one guilty of massive destruction. Testament, who set her free. Sol, who is both a prototype Gear and a scientist that first researched Gears together with Ano Otoko and Aria. Dizzy, who was labeled as guilty and had a bounty put after her head.

Really, mates, discussing and asking questions is totally fine, but wouldn't it be better to read some basic FAQs first? There is one at gg.ru (http://www.guiltygear.ru/ggworld.php?lang=en§=plot, although a bit outdated), and Blade has as much in-depth info at his page (and mirrored at http://www.guiltygear.ru/download.php) as you can handle =)

"Guilty" gear is a recurring theme of series and can be applied to many characters. Justice, who was the one guilty of massive destruction. Testament, who set her free. Sol, who is both a prototype Gear and a scientist that first researched Gears together with Ano Otoko and Aria. Dizzy, who was labeled as guilty and had a bounty put after her head.

Really, mates, discussing and asking questions is totally fine, but wouldn't it be better to read some basic FAQs first? There is one at gg.ru (http://www.guiltygear.ru/ggworld.php?lang=en§=plot, although a bit outdated), and Blade has as much in-depth info at his page (and mirrored at http://www.guiltygear.ru/download.php) as you can handle =)

I'm pretty sure that guilty gear is much more heavily implied to be Sol than you're giving credit for. He is the protagonist and his conflict is the centerpoint of the games for quite a while. Dizzy wasn't in the first game and justice dies during the same game. Testament is a mid boss of mild importance to the series. The word guilty can mean more than being bad or a criminal, I think it is telling that the word guilty was used rather than many other words that more readily come to mind that would better suit those various characters and conditions.

Also it says that Sol is the guilty gear in the first faq you linked.

I was not trying to diss or belittle any character in series. And Sol indeed plays a large part in GG story (why wouldn't he, being an alter-ego of GG lead designer =)).

But personally I think that approach 'Guilty Gear = Sol, end of discussion' belittles carefully crafted GG plot. After all, there is much more about 'guilty' than about 'gear' in GG story. And that is exactly why I was trying to show other possible interpretations of series title.

I haven't gotten around to playing the AC story mode (only played reload and read about GG/GGX), so was wondering: is the animosity between Ky and Sol at "rivalry" level, or does Ky despise Sol's guts infinitely? Or something in-between? Also, does Sol not give a damn about the rivalry, or is that just for show?

I haven't gotten around to playing the AC story mode (only played reload and read about GG/GGX), so was wondering: is the animosity between Ky and Sol at "rivalry" level, or does Ky despise Sol's guts infinitely? Or something in-between? Also, does Sol not give a damn about the rivalry, or is that just for show?

It depends on what game you're playing. As the series goes on, the rivaly turns from hatred to mutual respect. For a quick and dirty look at it:

Pre-GG: Ky begrudgingly respects Sol for his ability to fight as part of the Holy Order, but still finds him to be insubordinate. Sol finds Ky to be a capable leader but is annoyingly naive.

GG1: Ky hates Sol for what he sees as betrayal and theft of the Fuuenken, Sol finds Ky to be annoying and in the way, a stupid brat.

GGX: Ky starts to try to understand why Sol took the Fuuenken, realizing even he must have reasons for his actions, though he still dislikes him. Sol is more concerned about other things, finding Ky to be a distraction.

GGXX: Story mode of AC+ ends on a note of friendship, with Sol and Ky having a discussion establishing that while they may never see eye-to-eye, they can both trust one another and call on the other for aid.

GG2: Sol and Ky are allies that trust one another, to the extent that Ky asked Sol to take care of his child for several years to keep him safe. Sol understands that Ky's "Wanted" bounty posters of him are a call for aid.

Basically, Ky grows up and realizes the world isn't black and white, Sol figures maybe the kid ain't so bad after all.

Is there a running list of GGAC+ XBOX Port issues?

I have found one, a friend has found another and we're guessing there is more..

I believe there was one within the general forums. I'm not entirely sure as towards whether it has been recently updated though.

Welp, since I've recently been trying to get better at Blazblue I figure I'm gonna want to do the same in Guilty Gear as well.

Being a Makoto player, which character do you guys think would suit me the best? I usually use Milia, Eddie, or Chipp.

if you like millia, eddie, and chipp why not just stick with that?

I was just asking for suggestions. Even if I do pick between those three, I'm not sure which one I want to invest the most time in.