Kairi

Guilty Gear FAQ Thread - Ask your questions here!

Okay, I will likely get horribly, horribly killed for this(or at least have my self esteem killed by being called a noob...lol) but...what do those symbol things for Jam do(the ones created with ? I've tried them with her kick moves(which is what the boost in GGXAE does, at least) but it does nothing. Sorry for the noobish question.. X_X

They changed it a bit for AC. They still correspond to her various kick moves, but now they're used when you use them in the air. For example, without symbols, you can still do Ryujin once from the ground, but that's about it. With two Ryujin symbols, you can do Ryujin xx Ryujin xx Ryujin and oh my God I hate that combo for how brain-dead doing it is versus the absolutely insane damage it does and how little I can do about it.

Which is the least dexterity-reliant character in AC (not sure if this qualifies as a "gameplay question" per se given some of the other stuff here)?

For low-level play, probably Potemkin.

If you want to ascend higher while still being averse to excessive dexterity, characters who don't need to FRC everything they do suddenly become appealing because, let's face it, FRCs are hard if you're the type to not like excessive dexterity. Suddenly, Potemkin drops a few notches, because Hammerfall FRC, Heat Knuckle FRC, and Potemkin Buster FRC combos are everywhere and you can't do much without them once you hit a certain level.

Just about everyone FRCs something, but in my experience, it's the least mandatory for, say, Millia (Iron Savior and S Disc FRCs can be handy but you can get by without them) and the most for Baiken (don't play Baiken if you don't want to FRC, just don't.) Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.

IMO Faust can be played to the highest levels of proficiency with the least overall execution requirements. He has pretty much no commonly-used FRCs and the timing on most of his combos is not particularly strict. The only important "hard" thing he has is FD drill cancels which isn't really that hard in the grand scheme of GG execution. I main Dizzy and have put in 1000+ hours of training with her, but when tournament time comes around I play Faust, who I practice with at most 1/3 as much as Dizzy, and I do way better. You can do quite a bit with Potemkin too without learning some of his harder techniques, and hammerfall FRC isn't really that hard, plus you can always just wait until you have 50% meter so that can you can still be safe with an RC if you miss the FRC window.

I main Dizzy and have put in 1000+ hours of training with her, but when tournament time comes around I play Faust, who I practice with at most 1/3 as much as Dizzy, and I do way better.

I'm sorry. How does this not count as maining Faust?

I'm sorry. How does this not count as maining Faust?

I basically double main Faust and Dizzy. In casuals I play Dizzy most of the time, and even at tournaments I usually start with Dizzy and then switch to Faust after I lose the first match. I have yet to win a tournament match with Dizzy.

Thanks for the feedback. Millia seems to fit pretty well and I'm glad I'm less likely to have to give up after discovering a bunch of tiny FRC windows with her than anyone else...

Actually, I think Effenhoog is right in that Faust has even fewer commonly-used FRCs than Millia, but that's a minor technicality as neither have any that I would consider mandatory. (Again, Iron Savior and S Disc are the only ones that come immediately to mind for Millia, and neither are even close to "you can't win a match unless you use these" status. Faust has the pose after a blocked scalpel super, and that one is fairly important, but I'm not sure if that even counts due to the window on that being the entire pose and all. That's more just a 25% tension tax to not die if your opponent blocks than anything else.) Personally, Millia is a better match for me in enough other ways to make up for that, anyway--her mobility is awesome, less randomness and having to adapt on the fly because of items, she doesn't have to over-commit to moves as much because of just about everything being special cancelable, roll and ground Pretty Maze are godly, etc.

Every single FRC Faust has is great. Knowing them just makes you better and gives you more options. Granted they aren't vital to his game like Sol or I-no, but they offer you the chance to play better. Learn your character 100%. If you do not you are short changing yourself. Effenhog: I like the fact you play with Faust but learn Dizzy she is amazing!!! It just sounds like you use him for the unfamiliarity that people have with Dr. Baldhead. Which in america it is huge. Only areas that I think personally can play Faust right is: Kentucky, Midwest and FL. Besides that, when I sit down next to people(outside of those areas) before I play them they all say this "I have no idea how to play against Faust". It makes me laugh but cry at the same time.

Thanks for the feedback. Millia seems to fit pretty well and I'm glad I'm less likely to have to give up after discovering a bunch of tiny FRC windows with her than anyone else...

If I could make a recommendation, don't pick up a character because they require less dexterity (I mean, you could use that defense for I-No, I guess, but don't otherwise!). Find a character that feels right to you and work from the ground up. If you truly have fun playing a character - and I guarantee you that GG has someone for everyone - you shouldn't mind having to put a little more effort into your execution. I certainly didn't mind when I played Axl and successfully executed Rensen FRC all of five times in my first tournament (I was nervous), since I was having fun playing the character.

I understand the sentiment, but while I don't mind spending a long time gradually picking up strategies and correct gameplay, there's only so much effort I'm willing to put in to trying to perfect extremely tight timing and that sort of thing. If I want to give the game a real chance it'll have to be with a character I can actually do the moves of reliably.

okay...I know this seems like a stupid question, but its been bugging at me for awhile and Ive been a bit too afraid to ask. The question is "what exactly IS a frametrap?". ive seen the term being used a LOT, yet I never actually knew what it meant. The definition I was operating under was that a frametrap is essentially, a move that leaves an opening designed to bait the opponent into doing something, and catching them with one of your moves as a response. ...wait, that sounds like the definition for baiting. ugh. can someone help clarify this?

While I hate for my first post on this board to be a question (if it makes ya'll feel better, I'm posting a real topic soon), this is driving me absolutely nuts. Would anyone have a copy of the most up-to-date match-up chart for accent core that I could copy? My google-fu has failed me. :(

The most recent "matchup" chart from arcadia-whatever is Ogawa's and Shonen's opinions on the Eddie vs Everyoneelse and the Testament vs Everyoneelse matchups, respectively. (lol) if i remember correctly

Well, after 20 or so more minutes of googling nemo and tier list plus GG:AC (spelled out) the best I got that wasn't on this site was some crappy match-up chart that had Slayer placed lower than Axl. However, hearing that the latest chart -wherever it is :gonk:- is one guy's opinion (not saying that said guy isn't good) kinda dissuaded me, so I'll just stop here. Thanks for the effort anyway, guys.

Thanks, guys. Just to give some activity, someone could make an argument that this isn't GG specific, but whatevers. Anyway, as someone trying to get better at GG (cause it's gonna get a sequel/on GGPO at some point :v:), I trying to relate frame data to the real world for purposes of obtaining a better understanding of how long actions take in GG. That said, would anyone know what occurs in the real world in 1/60 of a second?