Kairi

Guilty Gear FAQ Thread - Ask your questions here!

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, so here is a link to the wiki http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Offense_(GGXRD)#Throws

Normal Throws do not have an animation, they are a state check. You either can throw someone, so you throw them; or you can't throw someone, and you get a button instead.

Thanks. I was asking if throws were affected by RC Slowdown. I figured not but thought it was worth asking.

Thanks. I was asking if throws were affected by RC Slowdown. I figured not but thought it was worth asking.

They're not affected by the slowdown, but you can't buffer a throw during the RC flash like you can a normal or special. If you YRC next to someone and hit 6H, you'll get your 6H attack instead of a throw, even if they're in a throwable state.

How do i get out of a defensive mindset when you playing this game, i block almost the whole match lol.

If you're finding yourself blocking too much, use Dead Angle attack so long as you have 50% tension. Also, use Faultless Defense more. It keeps a lot of characters at a distance that's easier to deal with.

Aside from that... move more, dash way more, push buttons!

How do i get out of a defensive mindset when you playing this game, i block almost the whole match lol.

Block offensively and attack defensively. This means that as you block you should always be itching to poke someone out of something (we call that "Abare") and while you're attacking you should always do so cautiously and never let yourself be too open or too risky/crazy with an approach.

If you never find a good time to press a button, study your frame data more and start by figuring out which buttons are good to press in such situations, then get in the habit of pressing them to test  a situation and see if pressing  a button there is prudent or not.

I'm pretty sure abare is converting off random hits, not poking out of pressure

Abare was translated wrong a couple years ago, and the wrong definition was distributed by well-meaning people. Abare basically translates to "disrespect" in this context. Characters that can convert off this disrespect for high reward, like Sol with VV RRC or Potemkin with P Buster, are naturally better at abare, so the confusion is understandable.

I'm pretty sure abare is converting off random hits, not poking out of pressure

Apparently it means different things to different people, but I've heard it mean attacking at frame disadvantage (or attacking when you're not supposed to attack).  Here's the best explanation I have seen of it: http://8wayrun.com/threads/whiffing-and-you-the-guide-to-missing-the-point.14432/#post-53604

Edit: scroll down to post #12 in the link above.

Pretty much this...a good example for anyone that is familiar with Kazunoko's Yun, he is well known for waking up with crouch jabs or even crouch MK. That is another example of abare, moreso than waking up with upkicks. Now usually doing something like this or attempting to poke in a situation where you should be afraid to poke (opponent is at frame advantage), is a bad idea, but the players that are successful at abare are ones that have a very good read on the opponent.

Block offensively and attack defensively. This means that as you block you should always be itching to poke someone out of something (we call that "Abare") and while you're attacking you should always do so cautiously and never let yourself be too open or too risky/crazy with an approach.

If you never find a good time to press a button, study your frame data more and start by figuring out which buttons are good to press in such situations, then get in the habit of pressing them to test  a situation and see if pressing  a button there is prudent or not.

Also don't forget your other defensive options; backstepping, blitzshielding, 6P anti-air, reversals, etc. Take the time to learn these. Once you know your defensive options, it's a matter of turning your defense into an offense like Dreiko mentioned.

Abare is somewhat nebulous (the literal meaning is "go wild") but the one single-word thing that we use in English to describe this is "mashing". Yeah not in all contexts, of course, but when someone wakes up and presses a button and confirms into a combo the announcer oft will say "wakes up mashing" when in fact he didn't actually press the poke multiple times. This may in fact be incorrect usage of the term mashing but yes, overall, Abare is to poke when you shouldn't poke during your foe's pressure AND actually convert that poke into a full combo.

5I have a couple noob questions:

1. Some moves in this game "stagger" your opponent.  Is there some way to look up or calculate how many frames it takes your opponent to recover from stagger?  In the training room I see that you can set the stagger recovery level, which is a great feature, but it would also be nice to be able to look up the number.
  2. When playing online, do the number of frames of lag correspond to what you can set in the "Input Delay" option?  I want to be able to land combos online, or reversals, so I've been practicing with Input Delay = 2.  Does that make sense?

Thanks!

1. Stagger doesn't have any specific frames because the opponent can affect stagger duration by mashing buttons, kinda like getting dizzied. Knowing its frames isn't very relevant in that matter. (Aka I have no idea and can't find the frames either)

2. Yes.

5I have a couple noob questions:

• Some moves in this game "stagger" your opponent. Is there some way to look up or calculate how many frames it takes your opponent to recover from stagger? In the training room I see that you can set the stagger recovery level, which is a great feature, but it would also be nice to be able to look up the number.
  • When playing online, do the number of frames of lag correspond to what you can set in the "Input Delay" option? I want to be able to land combos online, or reversals, so I've been practicing with Input Delay = 2. Does that make sense?
Thanks!
The frame data on the Dustloop wiki lists the minimum and maximum frame advantage on all moves that stagger the opponent.

The frame data on the Dustloop wiki lists the minimum and maximum frame advantage on all moves that stagger the opponent.

Sorry for being dense here, but I don't get it.  I'm trying to learn Slayer, and two moves he has that stagger are his 5H and his bite.  If I go to http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Slayer_Frame_Data_%28GGXRD%29 it just says "-4" under 5H frame advantage, and it just says "-" for bite's frame advantage.  I've gotten staggered with I-No's stalagmite thing, so I tried looking that up under http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=I-No_Frame_Data_%28GGXRD%29 .  There it says "±0" under "Stroke the Big Tree" S version.  Am I looking in the wrong place, or is there some way to extract the min/max advantage from these entries?

How many active frames do Bursts have?

Sorry for being dense here, but I don't get it. I'm trying to learn Slayer, and two moves he has that stagger are his 5H and his bite. If I go to http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Slayer_Frame_Data_%28GGXRD%29 it just says "-4" under 5H frame advantage, and it just says "-" for bite's frame advantage. I've gotten staggered with I-No's stalagmite thing, so I tried looking that up under http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=I-No_Frame_Data_%28GGXRD%29 . There it says "±0" under "Stroke the Big Tree" S version. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is there some way to extract the min/max advantage from these entries?

Nah, it's just not listed. I know some of them are listed, so I assumed they all were. My bad. I know that Slayer's around +3 on max bite stagger. I'd assume that the -4 on 5H is for the shortest possible stagger length.

Putting aside Danger Time conspiracies, why do moves seem to clash like... 100x more frequently in GG compared to other Arcsys games?

I don't think they clash more in GG, but if they did, it would be because of stuff like foot invincibility on sweeps and 6P upper body invincibility.

What would explain I-no in your face air mixup to clash with Bedman's DAA? And can you cancel out of a clashed DAA into anythinf but block?

DAA is invincible, so if I-no's hurtbox is high above the DAA's hitbox, they're very likely to trade. I'm guessing that it clashed with her j.D?

Having your DAA clash with an air attack isn't really bad on defense. You can cancel into your 6P or 5P.

DAA's have always had weaknesses like what you're mentioning. Many can be low profiled. Some have dead zones. Some are very slow. That's just to compensate for how useful they are and how hard they are to bait.

I'm on the PS4 version and I'm trying to save offline versus mode replays. I tried toggling the options, but replays never appear in replay mode. Even when I set it to "Check Every Time", it still doesn't even ask me if I want to save at the end of a match. What am I missing?

You can save vs cpu matches to the ps4 hard drive as video with the share button if you really had to