Kairi

Guilty Gear FAQ Thread - Ask your questions here!

Hello everyone,

Hope this is the right place to ask about this, I've been thinking about returning to GG after 7 years and while in the past I used to play Faust, now I want to try either Elphelt or Millia. Which of these two is the most noob-friendly?

Also, I've seen a couple of posts claiming that playing on pad is ok, can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

58 minutes ago, Lowtide said:

Hello everyone,

Hope this is the right place to ask about this, I've been thinking about returning to GG after 7 years and while in the past I used to play Faust, now I want to try either Elphelt or Millia. Which of these two is the most noob-friendly?

Also, I've seen a couple of posts claiming that playing on pad is ok, can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

More noob friendly: Elphelt

Yes, you can play with pad, it's weird you ask that.

5 hours ago, heavymetalmixer said:

More noob friendly: Elphelt

Yes, you can play with pad, it's weird you ask that.

I ask because in games such as Street Fighter and Tekken it's pretty much mandatory to play with a stick (I only know of one player who could use a gamepad on SFIV and perform well).

I'm planning on buying the Steam version of SIGN but I need to know a couple things before:

Does anyone know if Revelator will be a separate game or a DLC? (I'm aware it'll take a long time before it arrives to PC but I want to know anyway).

Region locked means that if I'm from Chile I'll only find chilean players on the lobby and ranked right?

How good is the netcode?

3 minutes ago, Lowtide said:

I ask because in games such as Street Fighter and Tekken it's pretty much mandatory to play with a stick (I only know of one player who could use a gamepad on SFIV and perform well).

I'm planning on buying the Steam version of SIGN but I need to know a couple things before:

Does anyone know if Revelator will be a separate game or a DLC? (I'm aware it'll take a long time before it arrives to PC but I want to know anyway).

Region locked means that if I'm from Chile I'll only find chilean players on the lobby and ranked right?

How good is the netcode?

Anybody here knows that ASW doesn't give a single fuck about expansions, so Revelator will be a new game.

The region-block depends on the Download Region you set on Steam, you can change it and it would be better if every player uses the same, I use US - Miami.

The netcode seems better than PS3's for me, I can't say a word about PS4.

2 minutes ago, heavymetalmixer said:

Anybody here knows that ASW doesn't give a single fuck about expansions, so Revelator will be a new game.

The region-block depends on the Download Region you set on Steam, you can change it and it would be better if every player uses the same, I use US - Miami.

The netcode seems better than PS3's for me, I can't say a word about PS4.

Thanks, then I guess I'll pass. I have a PS3 and if I can come up with the cash then I'll just buy Revelator when it comes out.

Actually there're a lot of USF4 players who do well on pad like Luffy (Evo 2014 champion), Snake Eyez, NuckleDu, Wolfkrone... and that game even has a big advantage for playing on a stick which is plinking. 

You can def play Xrd on a pad but it's harder to mash out of things and some characters would require a lot more than on a stick (mainly Zato). 

3 hours ago, Clamper said:

By the way, i've been wondering something... can you block on the prejump frames with faultless? 

Only the fourth frame, you're stil vulnerable in the first 3 frames.

On 24/12/2015 at 5:32 PM, Clamper said:

By the way, i've been wondering something... can you block on the prejump frames with faultless? 

no

On 24/12/2015 at 9:25 PM, heavymetalmixer said:

Only the fourth frame, you're stil vulnerable in the first 3 frames.

this is a misleading statement. you can't block at all during jump startup, it's not 3f for every character

Didn't know where else to put this since there seems to be no specific online troubleshooting thread.

Has anyone experienced a bug where XRD ( steam ) framerate and latency drop drastically during online matches? This started about a week ago, and I can no longer play online because of this. Before I could run this game at 60 fps and take connections as they come. Now my max fps is about 20-40 and there's always a significant delay in every game, even if the game itself would read 1 or 2 frames of delay.

3 hours ago, Minnow said:

Didn't know where else to put this since there seems to be no specific online troubleshooting thread.

Has anyone experienced a bug where XRD ( steam ) framerate and latency drop drastically during online matches? This started about a week ago, and I can no longer play online because of this. Before I could run this game at 60 fps and take connections as they come. Now my max fps is about 20-40 and there's always a significant delay in every game, even if the game itself would read 1 or 2 frames of delay.

The framedrop bug, very well known, along with the "Connection lost" bug and the "crouching Millia" bug.

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove subtitles from PC Xrd by editing a file or smth? Would really like to get rid of those for video recording purposes.

Divide your time intelligently between getting match experience with other players, acclimating yourself to the game by playing against the CPU (including in various side modes), and in training mode.  The more you learn and the better you get, the more you'll spend time in training mode.

Early on, playing against the CPU and goofing off in training mode is a great way to get used to how a character moves and feels, so you'll have an idea who you want to learn first.  It also helps to watch videos of the top players for any character so you can see what they're like at high levels of play.  I never imagined I would want to play I-No back in AC, but then I watched Koichi committing genocide and realized I had to learn her.

Continue to watch top players after that for your enjoyment, but you probably wont realize the depth behind their decisions immediately.  This game is a little more complicated than BB.  One thing you'll want to know going in is that while there are conventions like nearly every 6P having upper body invul so everyone has some kind of anti-air option, not every 6P has a good hitbox+animation to AA with.  Furthermore, BB uses a system where a move designated with "head invul" will beat attacks that target the "head", so some AA's are completely invul to some jump-ins and almost always work.  In GG it's strictly about hitbox interaction, so sometimes a really good jump-in will lose to a AA when it's timed wrong, and sometimes a really good AA will fail to beat a jump in because it wasn't timed or spaced correctly (the same moves can interact totally differently depending on context).  Also, backdashes are better on average (I think the standard is 8 frames invul out of 16 frames total, though some are 9/13, and Pot's goes as far as 20/21), so that everyone has some kind of reversal option, and throws are instant, which means they're also a reversal option if oki isn't spaced properly.  Throws also only have like a 1-frame wide break window, so don't count on escaping throws by mashing.  Anyway, as you pick up these things it'll be easier to see why players make the decisions they make, which will help you figure out your gameplan (since you already have experience and have a general idea of what your character does at this point).

Early on, learn a few basic universal combos.  Get a combo down for each of your main mixup options, both for midscreen and in the corner.  Start working on your neutral in a single matchup that you're going to practice heavily at first with the CPU (ideally a character that you can get real experience against).  As you see which moves you're using in neutral, start learning some combos off of each of those main options.  Now continue to play focusing on improving neutral with your main practice buddies.  You can grind oki in training mode along with your mixup.  Play the bonus modes for fun.  MOM actually has the AI act in certain ways that will force you to learn game mechanics, such as a Bedman that spams his Task C (an overhead slam similar to Honda's buttslam) that gets countered easily by Blitz Shield.

When you're comfortable, you should start practicing against every CPU with this character.  You want to focus more on matches with real players at this point so you can build a neutral game while trying to avoid building bad habits that you'd learn from a CPU.  Playing with the CPU is still good since they'll point out any holes that your buddies might let you get away with (like not spacing your oki properly, which will get you thrown, or not safe jumping properly, which can get you DP'd).  At a certain point as you're learning neutral, you'll realize you're running into some roadblocks where some moves give you trouble, or their pressure/oki gives you trouble.  Learn how to do that stuff with their character in training mode, then record it and play it back against yourself so you can experiment and find solutions.  After a certain point, playing the CPU for any reason other than some side mode for fun is probably a waste of your time, so stick to training mode and real match experience.

It's easy to learn basic offense to get started since oki options and most combos will be universal.  You'll have to adjust here and there to account for a really good backdash (Slayer/Pot) or a meterless DP (Sol, Chipp), but for the most part you'll pick this up first.
It's more complicated to learn defense since that's a tad more character specific.  It comes from understanding their hitboxes so you can work in neutral, and then learning when/where you can push buttons when the enemy player has the initiative.  You have to learn more about each character to learn how to create holes in their offense via IB, FD, BS, DA, and to pick up good Bursting habits.

I'd say that's a good starting point?

That writeup is helpful. I want to try and get into Revelator so I have my sights set on Raven as a main.

3 hours ago, DeltaGamer147 said:

Is their any way to get Raven and/or Kum without pre-ordering the game? Are you able to get them in the gallery?

Raven can. Haehyun has to be bought with real money, though.

3 hours ago, DeltaGamer147 said:

Is their any way to get Raven and/or Kum without pre-ordering the game? Are you able to get them in the gallery?

You can download them for free for the first couple of weeks after release. I think, but not 100% sure, you can download them without having the game (I did this with Elphelt last year for Sign).

This for a NA account btw. I don't know about NZ.

8 hours ago, This Man said:

You can download them for free for the first couple of weeks after release. I think, but not 100% sure, you can download them without having the game (I did this with Elphelt last year for Sign).

This for a NA account btw. I don't know about NZ.

I think I'll do that, I have an NA account anyway.

hey all, gg-newb here, looking to get into the scene

- wondering, is it worth getting this on ps3 since I dont have a ps4. Or am I better of waiting for it to launch for pc? I heard pc had slow downs for sign on the pc..? online will be the place for me to get good for now so its important I can play online.. the different versions of the game (us, japanese) share online players right? but ps3 and ps4 dont I imagine?

- Baiken:BA: looks cool in previous games, will she be returning? is there more dlc planned after dizzy?:DI:

- how is arcsystems as a company in terms of support for the game? I say this because capcom has me pretty butthurt

35 minutes ago, starlord said:

hey all, gg-newb here, looking to get into the scene

- wondering, is it worth getting this on ps3 since I dont have a ps4. Or am I better of waiting for it to launch for pc? I heard pc had slow downs for sign on the pc..? online will be the place for me to get good for now so its important I can play online.. the different versions of the game (us, japanese) share online players right? but ps3 and ps4 dont I imagine?

- Baiken:BA: looks cool in previous games, will she be returning? is there more dlc planned after dizzy?:DI:

- how is arcsystems as a company in terms of support for the game? I say this because capcom has me pretty butthurt

1) PS3 and PS4 have crossplay and their differences are graphic-wise, nothing about gameplay (PC has better netcode, but only SIGN is available for now).

2) Baiken is only in Story Mode as NPC for now, Dizzy is supossed to return as playable but we still don't have a date.

3) ASW usually tries to fix bugs and support the best they can IMO.