Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caer-caveral

AC Testament - Gameplay and Q&A

1st question: first of all, you can't TK the BL after 6k since 6k is not jc-able. So first BL in that combo, and the one after 5h are just regular BL. Now on to the real question. All I can tell you is dash as soon as possible, and then do 6k/5k/2s as soon as you dash. If you've successfully TKed your BL, you should have time. I know you're probably already trying to do this, but just keep practicing and you'll get it. There's no real trick to the timing other than what I've said.

2nd question: Again, can't offer much more help other than just turn on input display in training mode. If you're getting it in training but not in matches, make sure you're practicing it by itself, and after 6k, far S, 2h, 2d, whatever moves you would cancel into it. The timing will feel different because of buffering and stuff. Besides this, I just look at Testament if I'm screwing it up sometimes. I forget exactly when the FRC is on his animation, but I think it's like right when he bows his head down.

3rd question: I think most good players realize forward exe is the real broken move in Testament's arsenal, but for noobs, if they see a move you can repeat over and over again, it looks really simple and dumb to them and they think it's cheap. It is kind of ridiculous on light-weight characters and Pot though.

And finally, of course it feels good to be back. It's guilty gear.

Reply to First Question: Yeah I meant to say grab, 6K, BL,TK Bl than dash in. The thing is I dunno how long I should be dashing when I land. Should I just double tap and then press K/6K/whatever right away or dash for like 0.2 to 0.3 seconds than proceed to the hits. I don't have the game anymore so it's hard for me to practice.

Reply to Second Question: Yes, I can't pull if off in combat for the life of me. I can pull it off in training mode, even in the middle of combos but when I try to pull it off in fights (even after I leave training mode) it still won't come out.

Reply to Third Question: Okay good. I finally found someone who agrees about HS EXE beast is more broke. Even though the BL loop itself is ridiculous on the light weights/Pot, it's not that bad overall compare to HS EXE beast. Pot, meh... he got his defense to help him. Light weights is where it all matters with their defense. But that makes BL more character specific where as HS EXE has the potential no matter the character you are up against.

I think you pretty much want to hit 6k or whatever attack you're using as soon as you see the dash come out. If you dash too far forward, the next TK BL will miss. However, if you dash far enough forward, but not too far, you won't have to dash either as much, or perhaps at all before the p soul at the end. All I can say about FRC timing is just try to find a visual signal on Testament's animation. I know I still screw it up in game, but that's because there is no sure-fire 100% way to get it every time other than timing. Just keep at it.

Forward EXE beast is rediculously broken. Guaranteed after frame 2 isn't it? Throw it out and it'll either knock the opponent out of it, or you'll get hit and the opponent will STILL get knocked down. Love it.

Thanks for the feedback doragonkoroshi. I am managing to get a few hits every now then. Strange thing about HS EXE FRC, in some matches, I get it 100% of the time and in others it's 0%. It's really odd... I gotta practice my timing even more. What ever happened to the old AC Testament videos on youtube. Was it on filmzee's account and got deleted? I wanted it to watch it again to see combos in action and learning new ones.

Yeah, like I said, I still fall into slumps where I miss my FRCs all the time. It's just something that takes a lot of work. I've been playing Guilt Gear since #r and I still don't have it 100%. Main thing is don't get discouraged or think it's impossible for you. What videos are you looking for? I have a couple, and I wrote down all the throw>bl loop>p soul combos if that's what you wanted. I can say there have been a couple youtube accounts with plenty of videos that got deleted over the last year or so, so in all likelihood that's what happened.

I got a question about Testament's unblockable (sucubbus hits high, testament hits low). Was it fix in recent editions or is the AI cheating hardcore? I tried to do it in training mode and no matter what the AI could block both high and low at seemingly any stance. Another question on a related note is Testament's crossup. Does Testament have anything after hitting j.HS off a crossup? Sometimes it seems im only a few frames and pixels from chaining a 5K into it.

the only cross up with testament you need to know is badlands cross up as for the unblockable: all unblockables (when you do both a high and low move at the same time) are actually blockable. the computer will block them in training mode. the only unblockables you cannot block are aba's and axl's

^ did zappa's dog bite become blockable? hitomi crossup works too. c: and a bit safer.. anyway.. in what instances should i backdash?

it is dubbed the shounen cross up. you put down a tree. and as they get up, the tree meatys. therefore you do an instant airdash and it crosses them up

Allright, so I'm experimenting with Testament who seems like a lot of fun.

Haven't finished watching the entire tutorial for him, but right now I'm workin on BL loop. Specifically, the following combo in the tutorial: 2K, 5S, f.S, 2D, BL, RC the first hit of BL, 6K, BL, TK BL, 2HS -> BL.

The 3rd BL, the TK one is one that just doesn't connect for me, at least consistently. I get it maybe once every 10 tries? It's almost like, it's just barely missing them. What exactly is the timing of RC'ing the first BL, then doing 6K into BL, then TK BL?

Allright, so I'm experimenting with Testament who seems like a lot of fun.

Haven't finished watching the entire tutorial for him, but right now I'm workin on BL loop. Specifically, the following combo in the tutorial: 2K, 5S, f.S, 2D, BL, RC the first hit of BL, 6K, BL, TK BL, 2HS -> BL.

The 3rd BL, the TK one is one that just doesn't connect for me, at least consistently. I get it maybe once every 10 tries? It's almost like, it's just barely missing them. What exactly is the timing of RC'ing the first BL, then doing 6K into BL, then TK BL?

1) that tutorial vid is garbage, it's a stupid combo vid-like tutorial.

2) Never spend meter from combos starting with 2k or 2p since the damage from those starters just doesn't worth it.

3) Instead of BL RC I'd suggest you do 2D hs exe beast FRC and go for combo of choice (either air combo with knockdown or TK BL x 4-5 depends on the character) it's better damage and meter wise.

1) that tutorial vid is garbage, it's a stupid combo vid-like tutorial.

2) Never spend meter from combos starting with 2k or 2p since the damage from those starters just doesn't worth it.

3) Instead of BL RC I'd suggest you do 2D hs exe beast FRC and go for combo of choice (either air combo with knockdown or TK BL x 4-5 depends on the character) it's better damage and meter wise.

lol. Ok. So what are the bnb combos I should be working with and the most practical BL loops I should know aside from the one you just told me about?

anything into H exe beast frc > tk badlands > badlands loop

standing throw > 6K > badlands loop (doesn't work on ky, robo ky, or dizzy, for them you can do exe beast frc > badlands loop from a throw if u need damage)

net/tree > (close) combo into 1 hit badlands, (far) badlands loop

corner exe beast > (far) 6K > badlands loop, (mid) 5K > combo into 1 hit, (close) 5S > combo into 1 hit

random air hits > combo into 1 hit badlands

most stuff beyond that is rc/frc > instant air dashes, specific location stand/crouch confirms, and character specifics, key/infinite setups

if you're going into 1 hit set-ups u can generally get 2 reps from most starters you just risk losing knockdown the longer the combo goes on. If you're worried, just do one rep into curse

the badlands loop varies depending on which char you do it on. Lightweights you can simply do tk badlands over and over. others you'll need to mix in 6K/2S/5H (or mixtures of the three) to keep them high enough to loop.

or you could fight potemkin and do

5K 5S 5H badlands 5H badlands 5H badlands 5H badlands...

Im pickin up Test and this thread is a great help. 1 thing i want to ask which may not sound relevant to you guys but something im curious about is phantom curse, is there a way to influence what crow pattern you get?

After you see which crow attack comes out first, you know what pattern it is and you can try to work with the crow. The scythe is slow enough that you can react to it and change what you are doing if it is the first attack.

Cools ill read up about crow patterns and see what is possible from there.

On a seperate note can anyone give me a few sample blockstrings and corner lockdown patterns? I heard Tests lockdown was ridiculous.

Ok so - P,S,HS, Exe Beast FRC repeat. Does it matter which beast?

HS beast has MAD plus frames. If you have them cornered, you pretty much want to do HS beast. Keep in mind that if it's mid screen, the HS beast will push them back, so while you have plus frames, if you take too long running in before initiating another attack, you could eat a counter hit. Luckily Testament has some pretty decent ranged normals, so you don't always have to run in. If you are getting pushed out of range though, I highly recommend the frc to close in again. Also, when pressuring with 6k, HS exe in the corner, don't forget to mix up the timing on your special cancel. There's actually a pretty good amount of leeway between 6k's hit and the latest special cancel point, so you can catch your opponent off guard with this a lot. Also, mix in HS exe, HS exe if they're trying to IB the beast and counter poke your 6k. Also look for opportunities to plant trees/nets, which will make it even harder for them to get out of there if they somehow manage to gain a little space.

S beast you should pretty much be sure to FRC it, unless they are close enough to you that the beast will hit them late. For instance, a meaty S exe for okizeme is great, safe okizeme for opponents with reversals, as it is okizeme you can do outside of (i.e.) VV range. If you timed this right, so that they're standing up into it on its later frames, you will be left with frame advantage without having to frc. Usually if you block string into S exe when they're close enough to you that not frcing would still leave you with frame advantage, that probably also means that they're far enough away from the beast that they can jump out before it would hit them, but this can work anyway sometimes, as they may not realize which exe you did quickly enough to react to it. Also, if you frc anyway in this situation, and they do attempt to jump out, you may be able to tag their jump with a 6k if they didn't FD (or even if they did, still keeps the pressure on).

To summarize, there are a lot of times you can throw out HS beast without frc, but with S beast, frc is always the wisest choice, except as okizeme.

Did that help?

This might be already answered (didn't read the whole thread) but in what situations could you get s exe beast frc relaunches outside of CH j.D??

You can relaunch with frc S beast after 2-hit air or tk badlands midscreen. Follow up can include badlands, net, skull, 6K, 5S, 5/6HS. With the net you can force a knockdown.