Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qwerty

Asuka 120%

youtubing vids of it.

I really like the art style.. Haven't found any vids where players seem to know what they're doing, but, I'll put it on the list games to emulate when I invest in my poverty fighter laptop.

so after playing it some more, i've come to the conclusion that while there are much worse games, no other fighting game captures the essence of what it means to be poverty better than this one.

everything combos into everything. literally.

everyone has a dp, with the motion being down down A/B.

clashes = mash throw, regardless of range. yes, it is viable to throw out a move to clash with a fullscreen fireball and punish with a throw (i wish i was kidding).

speaking of throws, they're ridiculously good- especially cathy's.

i'm gonna start pushing this shit on the norcal stream and hopefully get some hype going for it, even if it's entirely ironic.

reviving old threads cuz i'm awesome

so i've put some time into special and i just started trying out excellent (will get final later only those 3 cuz those are the only ones on japanese psn)

i really enjoy the game despite its lack of training mode (go to 2p vs and hold forward on the other controller ;___;)

also i found this guy's youtube channel which has some match vids mostly of shinobu and cathy:

http://www.youtube.com/ebi0

You can download the game on JP PSN, no need to bust out the old systems. Just buy a JP PSN card from playasia or something and make a JP account

i would play this but im already playing is sprirital sucess-or/ I mean its forgotten black sheep. * cough* Phantom breaker* cough*

i just found an infinite with kumi in excellent, but she couldn't do it in special

i think in general excellent has more comboability than in special.. but this might lead to more infinites but i need to test this out to confirm

i have seen a bunch of combos that seem like it might just auto dizzy tho

Does anyone know to netplay with a Saturn emulator? I'd like to try Asuka 120% Limit or LimitOver.

If Saturn emulator netplay isn't an option, we could try some online Asuka 120% Excellent or Special on PS1. But not Final. Fuck that game. Is anyone down for this?

I see alot of asuka mechanics in PB but i think they handle them better.

Jumping: jumping made character hit box smaller and you had alot of control air trajectory really well in the air, and you also avoided mix up since hi jump is guard cancel. PB making jump  trajectory more restrictive and float help with this. Though character hitbox were still small in the air, PB made attack bigger, more active and made ex/super AUB. While their very little landing recovery, one could still exploit counter enforce frame from falling down animation of jumps. 

introducing guard broken: guarding in asuka had little to no punishment and with wide assortment of guard cancel, their wasn't much you can do. In PB guarding to long would cause guard break, not to mention Hard style had Unblockable attacks.. while one could still use guard cancels, those too also weaken your guard gauge.

Meter management: when you had 120% in asuka you had infinite meter to work with and could just spam super at no real dissertation, it was pretty strong and turn most of asuka matches a race to build 120%. PB it replaces 120%  with tension mode where when it fills both payers will have their super meter filled halfway. While this still allow repeated useage of ex overdrive, and other meter options, the meter does go down with each usage and has to refill it self back up during the tension mode. Certtain option will also lock out your meter after usage so you can't reusing them even in tension mode like the game emergency burst. Also spamming is discourage when ex and overdrive is give exceptional amount of meter to the opponent.

clashing; clashing is pretty strong in asuka, and even so in PB but low attacks seem to have little to clash, also majority of cast have moves that anti clash or amour to deal deal with clash battles. clashing also builds the tension and regular meter for both player. Clashing had particular way of rewarding meter (basically their is defensive and offensive clash, both clash rewarded meter but the offensive would always be rewarded more so than the defender. Clashing certain attack can even instantly fill both tension and regular meter. (this help made zoning strong in pb )

Counterburst: this replace knock back attack, knock back attack were really powerful and you had little reason to not throw them out, how ever in PB they fix this by making them cost even more and only cancel into slipshift, while it still have clash and amour, they lose outright to lows and anti clash attacks. they also buff counter burst by giving it additional properties so its not inferior to knockback.

asuka's loops were limited to ground combos, it has pretty strict juggle limits and in final you are allowed to tech in the air after any hit when you touch the wall... unless you are in a down state (no blue bar)

that being said i haven't really touched phantom breaker all that much so i can't really make comparisons myself

and i don't think its really fair to compare a game made more recently by a company to one they made like 15-20 years ago

Woah, totally forgot I made this thread.

I too played Phantom Breaker awhile back and immediately started comparing it to Asuka. It is a better game, but as pointed out above, considering how much newer it is (and how many more examples it had to reference), it damn well better be.

asuka's loops were limited to ground combos, it has pretty strict juggle limits and in final you are allowed to tech in the air after any hit when you touch the wall... unless you are in a down state (no blue bar)

that being said i haven't really touched phantom breaker all that much so i can't really make comparisons myself

and i don't think its really fair to compare a game made more recently by a company to one they made like 15-20 years ago

maybe your right but seem alot of people say they prefer asuka when I think PB really improve on asuka design. 

are some of these combos invalid than?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z_y7JZ1A5Q

i've never played any of the pc releases or the saturn version, so the ones in the beginning i can't say much for

but of the games i've played (special, excellent and final) the combo at 4:57 with the softball girl looks like you should be able to tech out of

the rest of the combos just use regular juggles and stuff so if they went past the juggle limit, they would have just automatically fallen out of the combo