Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Costanza

New Mortal Kombat

Seriously, someone needs to help me find a vocoder that sounds like MK Cyberninjas. I want that sound so much.

No, you don't get it, see...a Vocoder that could replicate that sound would let me make NEW robot voices, not the old ones. :)

Rain was retarded in SNES UMK because he was like... rushed.

In MKT he felt slower. Also, the thunder shit, for some reason, wasn't as abusable.

Maybe it was Ultimate, but I just remember having no problems abusing the hell out of thunderbolt. It was like begging for me to break it.

Did you fight human opponents?

Because I do remember the CPU was able to dodge it easily (you just need to block, IIRC).

See, but that was the thing, even if the computer did block it, you only needed one to land. If you could manage that, you could kill the computer. That was all it took. Even human opponents had no recourse if you got one off, because it comboed into itself, was easy to do (44LP if I remember correctly), and required no skill to really get the timing down.

NO, YOU GOT SOME SERIOUS DISLEXIA ISSUES SON :OS:

MK Trilogy was alright, just because of the amount of characters and the removal of annoying gimmicks. Not something I'd play for more than 2 hours, though.

I cant tell you ive played 2 hours of mortal kombat in my life without a week break inbetween sessions. Game was never that appealing, even back in the day, unless you had like 12 people playing.

In a game like MK, a block button isn't justified anymore.

It's not like there are a lot of moves that need it to help you buffer the inputs. Fatalities don't count, so don't even mention then :v:

Pretty much what Kyosuke said. The biggest problem with MK was the fact that in order to be defensive you had to mash a button. In 3d Fighters like Soul Calibur that makes sense because sometimes you want to move backwards rather than block, and other times, they may be coming at you from an odd angle that holding back, doesn't work because it's no longer back. Soul Calibur also uses the block button for other pursuits.

Mortal Kombat has never done anything innovative with that button, to MAKE it useful to a player. It has been there solely as a means of pissing off the player base. It has had no reason for it's existence, other than to be something "different". Same with the "Run" button, no reason to exist, yet you can't dash without hitting it. If Warner Brothers was serious about making a good MK game, they needed to let both of those ancient artifacts go, so they might die a grisly and fitting death.

When they first added the Run button that was one of the biggest wtf moments I've ever had over a video game. The concept is so stupid it still boggles the mind.

Damn: there goes using MK as a self-training tool for fighting games.

Also, when did MK start using extra buttons for Run/Block? I played it on the Genesis with a three-button controller as a kid, so this is kinda new to me (I didn't even know you could block/run :gonk:).

Damn: there goes using MK as a self-training tool for fighting games.

Also, when did MK start using extra buttons for Run/Block? I played it on the Genesis with a three-button controller as a kid, so this is kinda new to me (I didn't even know you could block/run :gonk:).

And the Prosecution rests. I mean how many people played MK and didn't know you had to hold a button to block or run?

I believe C was the block button in MK and start was the run for genesis. I could be wrong...

If you want MK to play like other games, then play other games. The Block button has never added anything negative to the series anyway. It seems that most people just want a gorefest that plays like Street Fighter. MK has it's own individualism and it shouldn't be sacrificed to get in people who think they know what every fighting game should play like. None of the hardcore MK 'players' have ever had a problem with it.

Anyhoo, the block button is also going to be used for the EX moves in this game .

In short. If this game having a Block button in will make or break you playing the game, then I doubt this game is for you in the first place.

If you want MK to play like other games, then play other games. The Block button has never added anything negative to the series anyway. It seems that most people just want a gorefest that plays like Street Fighter. MK has it's own individualism and it shouldn't be sacrificed to get in people who think they know what every fighting game should play like. None of the hardcore MK 'players' have ever had a problem with it.

Hardcore MK Players? I'm afraid to ask, and that entire paragraph was carefully created flame bait. Obviously I want a SF experience if I play a game where every hit sends blood a flying, just because I want to press 4 to block. OBVIOUSLY I have no interest in what came before or the history of the game, because I merely want to press 4 to block.

There is no reason EVER to have a block button, it's just one more mechanic to remember and if they TRULY wanted to be like Aksys and Capcom, they would not needlessly complicate the game.

I don't CARE if EX moves are tied to the block button, hell I don't even want to HEAR about you supporting a block button if they're going to gank EX moves from Street Fighter.

It is entirely viable, and possible to make an MK game that stays true to its roots, without a block button. That kind of blind loyalty is what made Aksys make BB in the first place. Because you keep going down that road and eventually you only got five guys buying your game because no one else wants to put in the effort to learn how to get past the monkey gymnastics you put between them and their game.

Run button was needed in MK cuz it had a lot of F,F,Attack specials. Players wouldn't be able to dash-in and attack with regular attack if traditional run was implemented.

Block button is stupid in 2D fighting game, yes.

I'll try it out, but I'm going to tell you its another barrier between players and the game they want to play.

Look at Focus Canceling in SF4.