Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Costanza

New Mortal Kombat

Damn: there goes using MK as a self-training tool for fighting games.

Also, when did MK start using extra buttons for Run/Block? I played it on the Genesis with a three-button controller as a kid, so this is kinda new to me (I didn't even know you could block/run :gonk:).

The run button was only in MK3, in MK1 and MK2 you could not run if I recall correctly. The block button is in all of them though.

I'll try it out, but I'm going to tell you its another barrier between players and the game they want to play.

Nice opinion. :thumbu:

Running is actually pretty baller in UMK3. Comparing a traditional dash to the UMK3 run system is like comparing polvoting to skiing.

And yes, there are plenty of hardcore MK players around. People see the block button and say "fuck that, not playing."

Thats fine and good, but it's also what has defined the series for a long time. I can honestly understand that a block button can turn people off. It's really not that bad once you've settled into the game a little. I'm speaking about UMK3, btw, which is an amazing game competitively.

The thing about the run button in UMK3, is that you can use it to kara your jabs, which creates amazing pressure. The game has no overheads, which is why having all moves do chip damage is important. Honestly, the run button is pretty amazing. Reptile for example, can hit you with a forceball, juggle with another forceball, Jab you twice, kara them with the run, hit them with another couple jabs, kara run, juggle with forceball, then uppercut for some awesome damage.

UMK3 is like super turbo in the sense that one combo from just about anyone and you take a huge amount of damage. Some characters do more than others of course, but in general it's a hefty sum of life. Not to mention UMK3 combos look hype as fuck.

That being said, Yes, I understand people hate block buttons. I know I did too when I picked up UMK3 a couple months ago. But to be 100% real, the shit is pretty hype when you pick it up. Here's hoping that this new MK game can bring that awesomeness back, and there are a lot of juggles I saw in the gameplay footage that reminds me of UMK3 (fucking amazing game.)

I played MK1 and MK3, and I currently own the three PS2 versions (why 3D?)

Anyhow, I can see a block button and a run button being important for Mortal Kombat, if only because of the lack of classical input commands (i.e. 236, 623, 214).

So . . . my point . . . ah, yes: Mortal Kombat is kind of a newbie's fighting game in the sense that specials are the easiest things to do, there's no resource management outside of life and combo breakers, and it's not taken as seriously competitively (which means if you find someone else who plays, chances are they won't score a flawless victory against you everytime :) )

I guess those are the EX attacks that they were talking about using the guard button for?

I also notice that the gauge has a few other things than the X Ray attack on it, but they don't mention those mechanics at all. X, S, and something else. Otherwise this looks like standard MK. I just don't get why the block button? Even if its to activate the X-Ray attacks, why not just make the attacks take two punches or kicks to activate instead of putting in the block button and forcing people to play with it? It made sense when it was a 3-D game, not so much when a 2-D.

Super > Breaker > X-Ray if I read the screen right.

Anyhow, it's cool that the breaker is on a gauge instead of a three-per-match deal.

Honestly, the more info that comes out about this, the more it reminds me of Guilty Gear, block buttons excluded. . . . Wish I had a PS3 . . .

In the more recent games (i.e. the 3-D ones for the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox), you can interrupt a combo being used on you by pressing block and forward . . . kinda like a burst. In those games, there was a three per match (meaning if you used all of them your first game, you couldn't use them the second or third games).

Is it just me or do those fighting stances look like utter shit compared to previous MKs?

Is it just me or do those fighting stances look like utter shit compared to previous MKs?

I think it's been like that in all the 3D ones or at least current gen ones imo. They always have that side stance.

No seriously, I played MKA... Scorpion used Hapkido, and that is not even remotely looking like a style...it looks like wrestling.

No seriously, I played MKA... Scorpion used Hapkido, and that is not even remotely looking like a style...it looks like wrestling.

True, I remember that from deception. I did like the 3 different fighting styles in that game.

I'm keeping my eye on this, I'm liking that they brought back 2d fighting, the whole 3d thing pissed me off. Game is looking alot better then mk:da mk:a mk:d and Mkvdc (especially the last one). Not going to get my hopes too high though.

I'm keeping my eye on this, I'm liking that they brought back 2d fighting, the whole 3d thing pissed me off. Game is looking alot better then mk:da mk:a mk:d and Mkvdc (especially the last one). Not going to get my hopes too high though.

i honestly thought mkvdc had potential. just not enough charecters.

In my opinion i think the Whole mk series was just for the enjoyment of its fans by making it gory, funny, and even at times makes you get the WTF expression. Its not a game i would take serious but would love to play with family and friends.

Hopefully this will turn out good and they can always patch it if its broken enough. Still though, UMK3 remains on top, its such an amazing game to play at high level.

Characters I want in MK9:

Ashrah

Sindel

Ermac

Goro

Motaro

Kitana

Kabal

Cyrax

Smoke

Kano

Striker

Jax

Sheva

Frost

This game is from MK1-MK3 so doubt we'd see Ashrah or Frost unless there DLC

This game is from MK1-MK3 so doubt we'd see Ashrah or Frost unless there DLC

Pretty sure Boon already stated that there will be DLC at some point. Anyway, my 2 main characters, Cage and Nightwolf, are already in, so I don't care who else they add at this point. Although I kinda want Kira to be playable, even though she's in the background of a stage currently.

So since Ed Boon said there is DLC coming that means Ashrah and Frost will be in it?

I would be skeptical if they did that. I'm more certain that they might use a character popularity poll before doing so.