Sign in to follow this  
Kyle

Helpful Japanese for our DUSTLOOP community

Regarding fighting game words there's one expression that I'd like to hear rtl42's opinion on: in a lot of videos I often seem to hear the expression "game-ashi" (がめ脚 ?) which seems to be used everytime the opponent either gets swept in the air or gets knocked down.

First off, did I hear that right or is that word/expression spelled differently? Second off is that the right meaning?

I hear it as 画面端 (gamen hashi): Edge of the screen/Corner

I see, that would indeed make sense now that I think of it- all those situations where that expression was used it was indeed when the opponent was getting cornered.

Sometimes on NicoVideo you'll see 髭(hige), which refers to Slayer since it means beard. Also some of them like to romanize Buri to become 鰤,which obviously refers to Bridget.

I'm disappointed in this thread. Nobody has posted the David Sirlin "yomi" video yet.

ashibarai = sweep (right?)

mekuri = crossup

bippaa = BBU (maybe it's not worth it to go into what they call all the special moves in JPneze)

buppa (the term, not the player. well, maybe the player too, but I am defining the term here) = kind of like throwing out a move randomly/spamming. i.e. random super or shoryu or what have you (i think this is pretty close to its meaning, correct if wrong)

yep it's "gamen hashi" for "corner".

incidentally, although 巧い is one way of writing "umai", you will pretty much only see うまい or 上手い in most "ordinary" contexts. 巧い means "skillful", but it has a very "professional" nuance to it -- for example, a craftsmen or artisan would be 巧い at their trade.

"buppanasu" (ぶっ放す) means "to fire/let off a gun", and is mostly used by "rough types" (i.e. yakuza, since ordinary Japanese people don't have much contact with guns). however, the word is known enough that gamers probably picked it up and used it in fighting games to mean "to throw out an attack".

More specifically, according to the GGXX wiki, "buppa" / "buppanashi" refers to using an attack based on a "certain read" of the opponent, with the nuance that the person who is buppa-ing is using a high-risk-high-return move (esp. FBs, supers, and invul moves), often as a way of fishing for Counter Hits or trying to break the opponent's pressure (so it can be considered like a "high risk" abare, i suppose).

So like doragonkoroshi said, there can be certain sense of "randomness" or "spamminess" to it, but as the wiki article says, "there are both bad and good players alike who 'buppa'."

rtl: why do you always translate "さとぅ~" as Satu? just looking at the hiragana, it's sa to u. everyone else i've seen has translated it as satou, jp announcers say satou, and it's even written as satou. am i missing some translation law or something?

The ぅ is in subscript which indicates とぅ should be pronounced as "tu". Satou is "さとう" with the う that's not in subscript.

Also, I'm pretty sure the JP announcers actually do say "satu". Arcadia SBO '09 vids for example, I def' hear Satu.

Also, Kyle, quick corrections.

Change Mepa to Mepo under Taokaka.

Beside DIE-Chan put "DIE-ちゃん", right now you only got "ちゃん" which is just "Chan".

It's true that a lot of vids put down the romaji as Satou though, and I guess that's what most of the community identifies him by, which isn't a big deal I guess.

It's like how we identify かきゅん as Kaqn when it's technically romanized as Kakyun (q = kyu). Or like how I still see people put down "Karun" in youtube vids even though the original Japanese vid clearly says "Yayoi". etc.

It's true that a lot of vids put down the romaji as Satou though, and I guess that's what most of the community identifies him by, which isn't a big deal I guess.

It's like how we identify かきゅん as Kaqn when it's technically romanized as Kakyun (q = kyu). Or like how I still see people put down "Karun" in youtube vids even though the original Japanese vid clearly says "Yayoi". etc.

That's actually a little different, since Kaqn decided himself that that's how he wanted to spell it. Or at least that's the way I understood it, though at this point I can't remember what it was that lead me to that conclusion.

yeah way way back, kaqn actually spelled his name in romaji as "kaqn", and then at some point he switched to writing it in hiragana. (maybe people kept telling him they couldn't read "kaqn"?)

"Satu~" seems to alternate between a few variations (these days, さとぅー or sometimes さとう; i think a long time ago, it used to be サトウ? and i'm sure i've seen him write his name as 佐藤 once or twice), and that sometimes reflects in the way the announcer/commentator says his name, but by and large, either written or spoken, it's "satu~".

==========================================

edit: but you know what, i should point out that i've seen two weird exceptions that i still can't explain 100%:

むぃ (i think he/she was a Millia player from a couple of years ago?)

でぃ (one of the Testaments from A-cho)

normally, for むぃ, since the "i" is small-font (i wouldn't call it subscript, btw), it *should* be "mi" -- but then you think, "why the hell didn't he just write み in the first place?" and although i haven't found anyone who can tell me decisively, if you google "むぃ", you'll get some hits which actually have "muimui" in the URL, corresponding to むぃむぃ... so at least as far as romanizing is concerned, i guess the right answer is "mui", even though by the usual rules of romanization, it should be "mi".

now if you happen to know a bit about Japanese vocabulary, then you might get the feeling that むぃむぃ is a kind of Japanese "mimetic", or gitaigo/gijougo (see this Wikipedia article), inspired by the word 無為 (idleness, inactivity). So maybe because it represents a certain kind of emotion/feeling, the rules are bent and the "i" is written in small-font to express the "emotionality" of the word -- but i'm really not sure :psyduck:

As for でぃ, the romanization *should* be "di" -- compare it with how the name "Dizzy" is written in katakana -- yet despite that, every time you hear his name called out during an A-cho match, it's always pronounced as though it was written "dei". In this case, it turns out that actually, it comes from the English word "day", and although デイ or デー are more common ways of "japanizing"/"katakanizing" the word "day", ディ is an acceptable way of writing it. Therefore, for purpose of romanizing it in a way that allows foreigners to pronounce it correctly, it's "better" to romanize it as either "Dei", or to just use the original English word "Day", instead.

so the moral of the story is:

even if you think you know the rules of romanizing hiragana/katakana, you will occasionally have a curve ball thrown at you and will have to check around online to make sure if the word in question is an exception or not.

(incidentally, the above applies to me, too! i certainly don't pretend to be fluent in Japanese, so don't be afraid to ask me if i'm really sure about such-and-such word or whatever.)

むぃ would be romanized as mi because the w sound does not exist anymore expect for わ(wa)

でぃ would be romanized as di, nothing else to it.

Also, add 電脳(dennou) under Axl and Jin, his offensive is pretty insane even with the nerfed Jin in CS.

now if you happen to know a bit about Japanese vocabulary, then you might get the feeling that むぃむぃ is a kind of Japanese "mimetic", or gitaigo/gijougo (see this Wikipedia article), inspired by the word 無為 (idleness, inactivity). So maybe because it represents a certain kind of emotion/feeling, the rules are bent and the "i" is written in small-font to express the "emotionality" of the word -- but i'm really not sure :psyduck:

Like an onomatopoeia?

Lol i don't know what onomatopoeia is since i'm not that good at english but the small "i" doesn't really express "emotionality" but is more of a play on characters as in the kana itself people use the small kana usually for looks because just typing up み as a name is very plain so making it "mu" with the small "i" makes it longer and "better looking" of course that only applies to some people depending on taste. Think of hakumen's "ズェアアア!" it uses a "zu" and a small "e" but is still pronounce "ze" there is no difference.

Onomatopoeia- Is using "Phoenics" (How something literally sounds) to describe something.

When you see someone write *Ribbit*Ribbit to describe a frog, or "Buzzzzzz" to describe an insect.

Updated OP With Dennou.

Ah, then the best way to explain it would be that the small kana replaces the ending sound of the regular kana.

Put dennou as Bang also.

フィオ(fio) as Bridget, CT Rachel, and Litchi.

マスタニ(masutani) as Bang.

村亮 this player's name is unusual so I don't really know how to say it my best guesses would be "mura makoto" or "son makoto", he plays Anji, very good player with videos avaliable on youtube.

充利(mitsutoshi) as Ky, as good as ぶっぱ, very good at pressuring.

むぃ would be romanized as mi because the w sound does not exist anymore expect for わ(wa)

でぃ would be romanized as di, nothing else to it.

Also, add 電脳(dennou) under Axl and Jin, his offensive is pretty insane even with the nerfed Jin in CS.

well i'm sorry but that's not quite right. like i explained, でぃ *should* conform to the usual romanization rules and be "di", but as it turns out, it doesn't. and it's not like i'm just making this up, either.

the mui one is just weird to me, so i'm willing to accept that my attempt at interpretation is wrong, but the fact remains that i've seen several hits on a google search of むぃ that have romanizations of it as "mui".

also, i wasn't saying specifically that "i" represents "emotionality" or w/e, it's the way it's WRITTEN -- the fact that it's small-font.

btw, what does the "w" sound have to do with むぃ? are you saying that, by analogy, if it was むぁ then it would be "mwa"?

I don't understand why でぃ would not be romanized as "di", the え sound does not exist when you say it.

In old Japanese the small kana used to represent a "w" sound before its own sound, however that has been eliminated from use after an education reform (the kana set being wi, we, and wo, the wo used today exist as an "o" only), this does not apply to small ya, yu, and yo.

right, that was like, pre-WWII, so when are we going to see it nowadays?

re: でぃ -- i believe i already explained it, but perhaps the way i said it was a bit confusing? could you point out for me what is unclear, in my above explanation? i can just summarize my point by saying that in general, it should be "di", but for some reason, でぃ is an acceptable (although rare) way of writing the English word "day" in hiragana. moreover, the way it is pronounced during matches can be clearly heard as "dei".

Sometimes on NicoVideo you'll see 髭(hige), which refers to Slayer since it means beard. Also some of them like to romanize Buri to become 鰤,which obviously refers to Bridget.

It's not just them. There is a kanji assigned to each character for abbreviation, though not often used.

From a Japanese site:

\|炎. |雷.|鯨. |髪.|影. |肉. |紙.|医. |梅.|紗. |霧. |鎖.|闇. |玉. |罠.|翼.|髭. |音.|霊. |鰤. |機. |聖.|鍵.|

雷|4.0|---|4.0|4.5|4.0|4.0|5.0|4.0|4.5|4.0|4.5|4.0|5.0|4.5|3.5|5.0|3.5|4.5|3.0|5.0|3.5|4.5|4.0|

合計:92.5

This is showing ky's matchup chart. To read it...

雷(kaminari/lightning) = Ky

炎(honoo/fire) = Sol

鯨(kujira/whale) = may

髪(kami/hair) = Millia

影(kage/shadow) = Eddie

肉(niku/meat) = Potemkin

紙(kami/paper lol) = Chipp

医(i/doctor) = Faust

梅(ume/plum) = Baiken

紗(sa or ja in this case/gauze, often silk) = Jam

霧(kiri/mist) = Johnny

鎖(kusari/chain) = Axl

闇(yami/darkness) = Anji

玉(tama/ball) = Venom

罠(wana/trap) = Testament

翼(tsubasa/wings) = Dizzy

髭(hige/beard) = Slayer

音(oto/sound) = I-no

霊(rei/spirit) = Zappa

鰤(buri/type of fish, also used for "cutesy girl") = Bridget

機(ki/machine) = Robo ky

聖(saint) = Order-Sol

鍵(key) = A.B.A

Also, for vocabulary

詐欺跳び(さぎとび・Sagitobi) = Safe Jump

直前ガード Or 直ガ(Chokuzen Gaado/Chokuga for short) = Instant block

パンピー (Short for 一般ピープル) = Literally, normal people, in games = Scrub or someone who doesn't REALLY play the game.

Laughing at Meat & Whale.

Darkness... seriously?!?! I would assume it would be Wind or Breeze or Umbrella-ella-ella-A.

Laughing at Meat & Whale.

Darkness... seriously?!?! I would assume it would be Wind or Breeze or Umbrella-ella-ella-A.

or butterfly or fan

Sign in to follow this