Sign in to follow this  
Kyle

Helpful Japanese for our DUSTLOOP community

Can I get Makoto Nanaya in moonrune please? Mu#12? Butler? who are strong players for these characters?

マコト=ナナヤ

Makoto=Nanaya

ヴァルケンハイン

Valkenhayn

μ-12

Mu-12

Players: unknown.

does anybody know where or if there are translations to the taunts, end of round, and start of round comments by the guilty gear characters?

i've always wanted to know what ky and jam say in their taunts, and end of rounds.

*Tetsu @SRK helped us. =)

Edited by Kyle

Updated with character Kanji for BB. I will be appending VAMPIRE SAVIOR to this list shortly.

Thanks,

Kyle

i actually haven't gone through the first post before, so just a few comments:

• Sharon is also written in kanji as 赭龍
  • change "Satu" to "Satuu/Satou" since he really is "Satou", but because of the funny way he writes the う as small ぅ, match commentators read his name either way.
  • (in the kanji "acronym" list) 聖 is read "sei"; 鍵 is read "kagi".
  • add 火九 (Kakyuu) and ふぃるむ / フィルム (read "film" in either way) to the list of Hakumen players
  • 銃 means "gun", not "bullet".
  • in the VS player names, is 修 really "Shuu"? It can also be read as "Osamu" when it's to be used as a male given name, just fyi. (If you're sure, then don't mind this comment.)
  • isn't ふご read as "fugo"?
  • the katakana for Q-Bee should be キュービィ. (Right now, it says "random" for some reason.)

As for the versus city article, a handful of definitions are wrong:

• the correct definition of "abare" is in the first post of this thread, which I translated from a Japanese FG wiki. Actually, if you could, I'd like to refine the explanation a bit by adding this:
      "The difference between 'abare' and 'buppanashi' is basically the risk factor involved: 'abare' is usually associated with attacks that have relatively low risk, whereas 'buppanashi' is usually for high risk attacks, especially specials and supers."
    • "sukashi" is wrong, I think he looked up "sukashi" in WWWJDIC and took meaning #2 lol. doesn't make sense. Here's the definition from the Japanese FG Terminology dictionary wiki:
      http://www.kakuge.com/wiki/body.php?word=%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AB%E3%82%B7
      So originally, "sukashi" meant whiffing due to insufficient reach (overlapping with the term 空振り "karaburi", "whiff/whiffing"), but at some point the meaning was changed to refer to "empty" in the sense of "empty jump(-ins)". The rest of the article describes the idea/merits of empty jump-ins, but this is what "sukashi" means.
    • "tame bunwari" is an incorrect reading, it should be "tame bunkatsu"; the meaning is otherwise correct.
    • 下段 (gedan) and 中段 (chuudan) also mean "low" and "high" in the sense of how they must be guarded. of course, this usually overlaps with the attack height, but not always, so i thought i'd point that out.
    • although 移動 means "move", in a broad sense, the definition given there is totally wrong. I think whoever wrote the article misread the word 稼働 "kadou", which means "operation". (So when a new game is installed in a machine and ready for use, there might be a sign in the arcade saying 稼働中, meaning "in operation".)
    • again, although 開始 does mean "to begin" (actually it's a noun just by itself, so "activation"), the definition is totally wrong and he was probably referring to 稼働開始 lol.
    • 割り込む (warikomu) just means to interrupt any attack string, whether you use safe or unsafe attacks to do it. It definitely overlaps with "abare", as some Japanese definitions of "abare" will use "warikomu" to describe what occurs during "abare", but "abare" has the additional connotation of "riskiness" associated to it, whereas "warikomu" is simply describing the action.
    • the entry on v-13's swords is a refer to SHMUPs as "shooters", hence シューティング ("shooting", in Japanese) . the katakana is incorrect, there.
    • there is no such word as 酸かる ("whiff", 3rd-last entry). The Japanese word for whiffing is either karaburi, or just "suka"/"sukashi", written スカ・スカシ.

Based on that, feel free to use my corrections and incorporate the terminology described in the Versus City article.

I'd want to put tachimawari up there, but I'm not sure how many people actually use the term around here. It's a very popular concept in fighting games for the Japanese, but I wonder how you guys acquaint yourselves with it.

立ち回り is usually referring to player skill, nothing else besides that really

from the site: sabaki really just means to punishing a move for the most part

and unless there's been a sudden education reform in japan....ふご = fugo

no, tachimawari is quite broad, and although skilled players have better tachimawari, they are not the same. although it fundamentally means how a player moves his character around the battlefield (with respect to his opponent), it incorporates ideas like poking, zoning, AA, pressure, turtling, runaway, punishing, and basically reading your opponent (and what they'll do next).

http://www.kakuge.com/wiki/body.php?word=%E7%AB%8B%E3%81%A1%E5%9B%9E%E3%82%8A

To provide a better understanding, tachimawari also measures how well someone can change the flow of the game to their advantage and pace, whether it be on neutral, defense, or offense.

i guess i wasn't clear since those are the factors that determine how skilled a player is....thus player skill

while i think summarizing "tachimawari" as "skill" is quite misleading and misses the whole point, i suppose i misunderstood that you understood what it meant. sorry about that.

if i really wanted to explain it in depth then it would became a huge wall of text, which is not something i would want to type up, so i tend to use generalization alot

TBH I always interpreted "tachimawari" as the japanese way to talk about a character's neutral game and approach.

立ち回り is pretty much 'spacing', from what I've inferred.

立ち means 'stand', while 回り can mean either 'to revolve', 'perimeter', or 'surrounding'.

A player with good 'spacing' can also mean they have a good grasp of the fundamentals of the game and characters played, which qualifies as a 'skilled player', more often than not. That might be why 立ち回り can be mistaken for 'skill'.

iirc Kubo and Leo are notable Akihiko players.

I grabbed all the notable players from appropriate character video threads.

I just copied & pasted from Mitsur video thread.

THNX

plz correct as much as you can & contribute the Moonspeak.

Sign in to follow this