Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Id_asz

FFA SoCal arcade scene: BB, GG, MB (and other airdashers)

Hey guys, I want to get into the offline scene. Anyone want to be my friend and go with me to FFA? :D

Usually we meet to play casuals together on Thursdays, so that's always a good time to play.

But pretty much any day after 9PM you'll always find people playing. You might want to just play alone in order to get used to joysticks, in which case you should come early in the morning. Pretty much, most of the time of day you'll find people playing BB, and if you don't, just start playing arcade mode, and you'll probably be challenged before you beat it.

Our tournament will be on PS3, and no, an Xbox 360 controller will not work on it. It does take USB, but it has to be PS3 software compatible USB. If you want to play on a PS3 controller during the tournament, I have spares I'm willing to lend out.

Usually we meet to play casuals together on Thursdays, so that's always a good time to play.

But pretty much any day after 9PM you'll always find people playing. You might want to just play alone in order to get used to joysticks, in which case you should come early in the morning. Pretty much, most of the time of day you'll find people playing BB, and if you don't, just start playing arcade mode, and you'll probably be challenged before you beat it.

Our tournament will be on PS3, and no, an Xbox 360 controller will not work on it. It does take USB, but it has to be PS3 software compatible USB. If you want to play on a PS3 controller during the tournament, I have spares I'm willing to lend out.

How do people who use a 360 Arcade stick compete in the tourney, then? Or are 360 sticks compatable with PS3 as well? I also heard there was a PS3 -> 360 Controller adapter. But I doubt anyone has one and will let alone bring it to the tournament just for me to use anyways. =/

I might drop by on thursday just to see what's up as well. I hope I'm welcome :D

Thursday is usually a pretty good day for BB. You are most assuredly welcome.

Most people who don't have ps3 sticks just borrow one. Though, borrow at your own risk, as you'd be surprised at how much a foreign stick can mess you up.

How do people who use a 360 Arcade stick compete in the tourney, then? Or are 360 sticks compatable with PS3 as well? I also heard there was a PS3 -> 360 Controller adapter. But I doubt anyone has one and will let alone bring it to the tournament just for me to use anyways. =/

You can't use an X360 stick on a PS3 unless you modify it (you need a Cthulu or Chimp board installed in there, etc. I'm not going into the details of it). So if you only have an X360 stick, but not a PS3 stick, you're SOL and will have to borrow one.

There's good reasons why we run BBCS on PS3, though:

1. Most tourney ready players play on PS3, so they have PS3 sticks.

2. You can use a PS2->PS3 adaptor for your PS2 stick. A lot of players who played GG used a PS2 stick, and they keep using it for BBCS.

3. On BB for the PS3, you can modify the screen size so that it fits correctly. You aren't able to do that on X360 (did this change with CS? I know you couldn't do this with CT).

4. Most tournaments are focusing on PS3 as the standard (i.e. EVO). Admittedly, this is more of a standard between more than one fighting game and could be overruled on an individual basis.

5. The PS3 controller is more suited for fighting games than the X360 is. If players like playing on the pad instead of the joystick, they are far more likely to like the PS3 controller.

6. I have a PS3 with all the dlc on it. I bring that in and we're set.

P.S. Just curious, how do you play Carl on a pad? Do you hotkey D to the R1 button? When CT came out I tried this to see how well it would work (I didn't have a stick yet) but I couldn't get used to it. I set D to the X button ("A" on 360) and just rolled my finger along the pad to time D correctly.

I put the center of my thumb on A and press X and B (the two side buttons on the PS3, sorry don't know the button) with the tip of my thumb. While for the use of the Y button (your triangle) I curl my pointer finger from the triggers to press the Y button with the side of my pointer finger for the more tricky combos.

Also, thanks for the info on the PS3, I always wondered why it was used. Just for reference for once I get a stick (I'm hard set on getting one now) how much would a universal chip cost me, and how hard would it be to install? (First stick ever, so no modding experience)

Also: Is it possible for a PS3 stick to work on the 360 without modifications? Or should I just buy a 360 one and mod it?

If you want to buy a "universal stick". Your choices are a PaeWang Revolution (you will want to mod the stick/buttons), a custom built stick that uses that board or a 360PCB + Cthulhu board, or a 360 stick that uses some flavor of Cthulhu board. It all depends on your pricerange really.

If you want to buy a "universal stick". Your choices are a PaeWang Revolution (you will want to mod the stick/buttons), a custom built stick that uses that board or a 360PCB + Cthulhu board, or a 360 stick that uses some flavor of Cthulhu board. It all depends on your pricerange really.

What should I aim for as a poor high school student? :D

Modded paewang. $55 for the stick, maybe $35ish for 6 sanwa buttons + stick. Lots of modding guides on SRK.

How much would it cost to mod a SF4 TE to be universal? :o

Depends on how much you get your TE for. It's that + a $35pcb + whatever it takes to wire all that stuff together. Sticks ain't cheap.

I might be able to get a TE stick for 80 dollars from either PiGG or someone else. So like I dunno.

Edit: I was running around online checking prices etc etc and the 55$ stick with the 35$ in buttons is the cheapest way to go. With shipping and all but it adds up to like 130 dollars. But I think that's pretty good for a dual console stick so I'll buy it tomorrow after heading to the bank. Still 1-2 week shipping, though.

Heeeey, i can most likely make it to FFA this sunday for the GG ranbat/tourny thing. ;[ Buuuut i'm having trouble getting a ride back to my area. If anyone is near CSU Northridge and MIGHT be heading down to the riverside area on monday or is willing to drop me off Sun night (though that's asking much!) i'd greatly appreciate it!

If not, i'll post and see if i can make it sunday.

edit: nevermind! :] Got it worked out. See you Sunday!

On sunday night I might be able to take people back to my area. I live in the 818 area code so anyone who needs a ride back can talk to me.

Also. What time thursday do I get down there? D:

On sunday night I might be able to take people back to my area. I live in the 818 area code so anyone who needs a ride back can talk to me.

People don't usually get here until about 8:30-9pm. But if you get here early, that would be a good time to practice.

How often do you play with D'Enzay?

Yeah I know he lives around here, I just never play with anybody offline, really. But I really want to. That's why I plan to crash your tourney and casuals now!! Go Ryo! :D

eh, no planning on entering, but I'll hit you up for a few matches afterwards. Is the MBAA tourney also team based, or just BBCS?

eh, no planning on entering, but I'll hit you up for a few matches afterwards. Is the MBAA tourney also team based, or just BBCS?

BBCS teams

GGΛC singles

MBAA singles

TvC:UAA singles

P.S. A little birdie told me that BBCS2 will be the full price of a new game. No patch update. Idk when it comes out, but we'll see about getting it.