Sign in to follow this  
hatorri hanzo

Faust in Slash : Matchups

Lol, here it comes, the "maybe your tips suck" reply.

Plus why would you stay around when if blocks your poke anyway? Item cancel then continue footsies. Plus, hasn't anyone told you? Mawarikomi is severely punishable

Poking from range keeps you safe from counters.

If you have played slash, what poke is safe?

Rerere sure isn't, you can't cancel into an item. Standing slash definently isn't, cancel on hit, and get hit by Baiken's counter. Throw and item expect to get hit by air dash js. The only thing I can think to do is bate her running deferense and then do a crouching dust, because she can not block low in that state.

Maybe you just haven't been playing a Baiken with Faust that takes full advantage of her

abilities :confused:

First of all, far slash isn't even in range of her counters. Second, rerere isn't a poke. Third, why are you throwing items when youre open? A major part of Faust's game is to keep them in an area where you can reach them but they can't reach you. Let the items do their job of making them bring their game to you. Learn to use Faust's anti-airs, push them away if theyre on the ground. As for Baiken being hard to guard break, don't worry about it. The majority of your damage will come from anti-air combos, and converting random item hits into combos. If she tries to reach you from the ground, she won't get close enough to hit you before you're in range to poke or sweep her. Always remember Baiken is light and low def, so sweeps should always go into pogo then GMW and/or RC air combo. It deals enough damage from that simple setup that they'll try to find other ways of attack instead of risking of getting hit by another. Overall, the normal Faust gameplay works fine vs. Baiken - the only thing you'd need to change is your blockstrings. Limit them to 1 hit pokes and don't try to penetrate her guard by long blockstrings. For Millia, Deuce is correct. Millia beats Faust normals air and ground. You can't even bait Millia's anti-air to safely land, and Millia beats Faust anti-air too. Your best strategy is to guard her pin once its out and don't let her have it. Once she has no pin your anti-airs will work better, but still not as good. On the ground you're still not much of a winner. Her pokes beat yours and thats basically it. A couple of counters work, doing a jump 2K just before she reaches you and attacks will avoid low pokes and kicks, netting a good CH stun into combo a > sweep pogo > gmw. But this gets beaten by around half of what Millia will attack with (like 6P), so you get a 50% chance to beat her attack if you're just completely guessing. To beat the other half of her normals, use 2S. While 2S is a good counter to her attacks, its not at all safe to spam. It has a long RE so if you whiff you're in trouble. But you pretty much have no choice here. Well at least Millia is a low def light. Vs. Jam, the normal gameplay style works fine. All you need to watch out for are charged dragon kicks from halfscreen+. These are quick and have a lot of priority. Jam is another low def light so make sure you abuse sweep > pogo. Her normals are short ranged and she is a limb-only character - meaning pushing her out of her range is pretty easy. She doesn't stand, run or attack in a low hitbox so you don't have to worry about height whiffing moves. (For Baiken and Millia you have to compensate since they're small and duck most of your moves.)

Thanks for your help, even though I sounded like a Jerk. It vastly improved my game. Also realising that Baiken's command does not block low alowed me to do the sweep into pogo. It made it much more risky for my room mate to defensive run. :grin:

Hanzo: Sup ;P BTW, always remember to punish the counters when they happen. Since I already mentioned to limit blockstrings to 1-hit, don't forget that this is a natural bait for alpha counters. Once she does one, punish. Best way is to combo A > sweep pogo > GMW/or RC combo B. Punishing counters is way better and easier than finding ways to break her guard.

What I fear about Jam is her 236S, that she can dash before I can know what she is doing ><(and her strange j.236P). But I think this is only matter of experience... Millia: that part of she beating me before I can do anything was/is my fear....

Don't worry about her slide since its majorly punishable. If you're worried about not being able to see and guess what followup she'll do then just superjump. Superjump kinda fixes everything really. What you need to learn though is how to capitalize on Faust's air mobility so you can land safely and even have advantage most of the time.

6P his BR. Dust through BR. Duck under BR. Duck under BB. On blockstrings he'll usually finish with either GF, BR, BB. Superjump if its GF, 6P his BR, duck under BB. Don't skimp on anti-airs. Under normal faust style of play Sol won't get close enough to touch you.

ack, i've played some really good i-nos and i've gotta say that's one of fausts way easiest matches imo... i dunno what to say... i don't find her offense that hard to pick apart once you get the hang of it because she really has little offensive variety imo, she's either in the air which a 6P will usually take care of no problem or she's doing that move that comes from the bottom which is easy to just jump 2K counter into hella damaging combo on her, don't be scared of the notes btw, faust can pretty easily dash under them/crawl under them/ jump and use FDC'ing to avoid it while still maintaining good position so yea... If I ever face an i-no player, personally no offense but i've got 100% confidence in myself against them :p

I'm just glad that faust vs. eddie got so much more managable, i'd say it's around 50-50 easy now :)

Faust completely has the advantage over I-no. the matchup is 6-4 for faust and reason being is that his ground game and pokes completely shut her down from the air and ground. the only thing ino can do is to space herself and wait for an opportunity to have faust block an note, in the air or the ground it doesnt matter. Also faust and Ino are like the only chars who can just wakeup 6P her dash S if timed wrong basically it has to b super meaty so sometimes double overheads are out of the question depending on spacing. the only reason this matchup is not a 7-3 is basically if faust gets knocked down it can be the end of the match especially if hes in the corner ino can grab faust midscreen and frc combo him to the corner so watch out for that. Ino's offence and fuzzy guard setups are too good and everything combos on faust's hit box so 2 combos and hes dead.

---Hanzo...u gotta be kidding thinking Ino's offensive variety is limited...omg...as she has so many options. u do own me tho so i cant say much about that. this is not an ino thread so ill save the reasons why but this bitch can b unblockable. Ino only has imo 2 really bad matchups and the other one is Chipp. Other than that she rapes fools.

Hmm, yeah, superjump is one of Faust's best friends. I find it hard to keep Sol at bay (far S sucks vs him) but it doesn't really matters since we can always superjump for safety, right?

mm, Superjump is a decent tool against Sol, just watch out if your fight against someone who randomly dragon punches ALL THE FRIGGIN' TIME (-_-) Anyways, I have a few questions about two characters I hate to play: Testament and Ky. Ky is understandably annoying, but at what range should I try to stay? I can't do much at long-range besides throw items, and at short range I get rushed down. Also, it's not easy to approach from the air (even though I air brake/j2k cancel), so exactly what do I do? And my main problem: what do I do against testament? EXE beast is easy enough to block from the other side, but that --> Testament rushdown. Rushing at him without a dragon punch seems stupid as well. I do well enough against a good local Testament to get him down to about 5-25% most of the time, but it's hard to finish him (without relying on scalpel enema). Lastly, what's a good pressure loop in the corner? the one I've been using is 2s, 2hs into mixup (command throw, 41236K or else 2p 2s 2d into pogo...and I know I shouldn't use that). Very simple, but I know I can tack on more damage, but other than air brake cancel --> jk --> ... nothing works (and I don't like to do that since I play against Sol and Ky a lot)

Looks like someone learned a whole lot of NOTHING in the time he spent at Japan, jajajajaja. Against the "local Testament," as you put it, I usually find it best to poke away at him at mid range till an opening shows up. With Faust's normals, specials, and items, this strategy usually prevents him from rushing in as well as disarming most traps. Basically, as soon as he tries to EXE Beast from long range, I would jump in with HS.

The "good local Testament" isn't even that good =/ You need to poke better, like bag said. That will pretty much help in all matchups. For rush down, you aren't approaching it correctly at all if you think you need a DP. Use your pokes, bait him into doing stupid stuff, punish him (AS HARD AS YOU CAN), and then either get a knockdown and attack from there (rushing from neutral gets you killed) or force him into a tech trap situation, depending on how you're punishing his mistakes. As to mixups- do 2H > whiff P and then do a strike/throw mixup from there. Don't use scalpel stab from any closer than half screen unless you expect to hit a CH 2H. -EDIT- Faust fights very well at midrange and further out in neutral situations. Use those pokes!

Oi oi, I'm adapting my game to play on Tim's shitty stick. So yeah, I sure did learn a whole lot of nothing since I'm not playing like I was in Japan against good people eh? :grin: Meh, I'm just trying to fool around with different pressure loops and strategies since my faust is getting stale.

It's far more important to have something solid than something new so shrug. j2K FDC trickery is still good against Sol/Ky if you mix up when you actually do it, and if you learn to bait uppercuts from it and punish accordingly. People won't be as fast to uppercut if you hit them for like 30-40% each time they try... or they just die really fast.

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. How does Faust handle IAD attacks as well as Pot? Keeping pot away is not the issue is getting close for mixup and trying to avoid the his command throw.

Not saying that any particular strategies with Faust you have are flawed, but Faust is fundamentally a mid-to-long range fighter to begin with. This point is ESPECIALLY made clear when fighting Pot (mind you, I've never actually faced a human Pot, so take this with a grain of salt). Don't stay toe-to-toe with him, open the gap between the two, and make use of the pokage.

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Yhea, I know that Faust is made to fight from a far but I find that Pot can just stand there and block everything. I guess the better question is how do I be aggressive against Pot's without getting close. He has that move with the armor that get's him in close. I have LIMITED experience with a humna Pot.

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Yhea, I know that Faust is made to fight from a far but I find that Pot can just stand there and block everything. I guess the better question is how do I be aggressive against Pot's without getting close. He has that move with the armor that get's him in close. I have LIMITED experience with a humna Pot.

When in doubt, always make sure you have an item to protect your back if you plan on rushing him down. Forcing Pot off the ground with a slew of random shit is a good way to react with Faust's own anti-airs, though I don't know how well it really would work against him. Other than that, make use of Faust's pokes, and don't stay ridiculously close to Pot for extended periods of time.

What you're gonna have to do vs. Pot (and pretty much anybody in the char list) is learn how to use Faust's superjump, airdash, airdash control, air brakes, headbomb and safe-landing techniques. You pretty much only hit the ground long enough to poke once, cancel into item throw (can be optional), and superjump. It goes without saying that you should avoid chances where the Pot is trying to make you jump out from a pressure string. Its pretty complicated so I understand if it sounds like I'm just saying generic stuff like: "Don't get hit." though.

Yo, this is DancingFighterG.

Yo, this is DancingFighterG.

Really, I had no idea.

I supposed some people have a feature where they turn off usernames and all they see are the posts on the message board, so its wise to spam your username whenever you can. Its too bad such a feature does not exists.

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Ok, I see what you mean about Faust bagandscalpel. Just because Pot is slower does not mean you change the game plan. I'm tyring to get his FDC 2K down where I can put move in it but it's working. It's seems that I FDC but can't do anything else. I will work on that tonight! Question, does Faust have any good cross-up stuff. The best one that I came up with is doing his Item throwing super and depending on what item comes out if they block low for mini-pot or mini-robo ky I can do 214 K to hit them from behind. Another question, what is the answer to Sol. Faust can't go toe to toe so should I just bait whiffs and punish. Best solution right now for the bitch sol!! PozerWolf, don't get upset man. You can ask about my style on every gaming site out there and they all know. I'ts not spamming it's just what I do.

Sign in to follow this