Sign in to follow this  
Drill

The Losing Streak Mentality

i haven't won a match in two days. 7-22 record with a PSR of 9.

i want to get better but nothing is working out for me.

wat do?

One day I nearly slammed sixaxis in his face after a very long streak of looses and comments, but I stilled my hand before anything and just shouted at him.

Should've just let him eat the controller. Would've gotten the point across much more clearly and effectively than verbal abuse, which could have encouraged him to troll even harder. Inflicting bodily harm isn't the most tasteful thing, but neither is bad sportsmanship. =D

Seriously though, next best option is to just get better than him and return the favor. Might also want to come up with an obnoxious victory dance you can use every round or match you win. It's best to be prepared.

Thank you very much for this post, as a beginner i lose ALOT. and it can get very frustrating and you can develop a defeatist attitude. it's best to stay positive. recognize/fix your mistakes, and not /RAGE. of course those are easier said than done and it takes alot of patience and practice. i still have MUCH to learn :keke:

Same here dude! Its easy to get blinded by rage and fighting games are VERY RAGE INDUCING but we got to control it for the sake of good sportsmanship and improvement.

I also have MUCH to learn when it comes to blazblue. Im still a scrub

I'm still trying to figure how to describe my experience in the most accurate way. In lament terms I think I'm just a sore loser with a scrubby mindset.

My latest experience was with a player whome I honestly felt wasn't exceptional, atleats compare to me. (first mistake)

I decided to use Noel since I was trying to learn her, even though I have much more experience with Hakumen so I didn't take it seriously.( second mistake)

He did the same till I won few matches and switch to his main which was Lambda. I didn't know how to approach that match up with noel.but I was overconfident in my abilities that I could overcome it.(third)

Knowing that I hate losing, I should have played to win but instead I stuck with noel thru out the session. Making repetitive mistakes and experimenting with things I had no nothing be speculations about. (fourth)

Though I must admit I learned a thing or two but I had hard time accepting the revelation of the matter. I literally though I can gimp victory with randomness than following a flow chart. (which I hate to do) But that's how all fighter are played and I need to accept that.

Thru out the last session I kept a silence posture. After that i felt like quitting the game. I hard time just accepting the better player and my lack of abilities.

Well, the only thing I can tell ya is to keep playing. I remember one time I had a string of about 30 matches with one player on PSN, who totally wrecked me. It was near the end of my CT adventure (something between march and june) after something like 15 lost fight I got furious, but continued, after about 22nd I calmed down and leaned to take what the game throws at me. That's when I started winning. From what I recall I got no more than 3 matches won, and possibly zero, but still it was great experience, katharsis, like the ancient greeks called it.

and thanks to that player, whatever your PSN was.

I want to share my own experience with the losing streak mentality.

Blazblue was my first foray into the competetive fighting game scene. Before that, I button mashed with various other fighters for shits and giggles without knowing a single basic concept on each games basics.

With that said, I joined my first Blazblue tourney at around May 09 at a local arcade that I was surprised even existed. Back then I had only had maybe a total of 3 days worth of actual practice under my belt with my main Noel (and still main to this day). When the games started, I saw what my opponents were capable of and obviously I got my ass handed to me on a silver platter. It was a good thing I suppose. No pain no gain.

I got progressivly better, even at hard times with CS at Jan 2010 where supposedly my main got nerfed to the point of 3rd worst character.

Now recently, I got to play against the top people again. Granted I haven't played these guys since nearly a year ago, but I wanted to see if anything has changed since I started practicing. It didn't go well, I was still losing horribly, getting perfected at times, and possibly not being taken seriously during my games with them. What's worse, I was dropping combos that I knew I could pull off from the get go. Am I progressing at all in skill? Has nothing changed at all?

Now upon reflection, I concluded at some point that my losses was not only because of expecting too much from myself, but also that somewhere deep down in my mind, I was intimidated at what I was up against.

Can losing repeatedly aginst this kind of skill also create an inferiority complex in this game?

Guys,

I'm on a losing streak............................................................. of like 16 T.T

I'm getting beat by lv 20 Ragnas......

I've been on a losing streak suddenly. It's starting to make me feel frustrated and the fact I suck. I don't know if it's the lag or what but moves refuse to come out. I can't block, and people are getting free bullshit wins they didn't earn. I just stopped caring from last night and started using characters I'm not even good with.

Can someone practice with me some time? I would appreciate it.

I've been on a losing streak suddenly. It's starting to make me feel frustrated and the fact I suck. I don't know if it's the lag or what but moves refuse to come out. I can't block, and people are getting free bullshit wins they didn't earn. I just stopped caring from last night and started using characters I'm not even good with.

Can someone practice with me some time? I would appreciate it.

I'll practice my Hakumen with you :3,same thing's been happening to me,cookie. I lost 5 times in a row to a bunch of people who mashed their way to victory and I almost decided to quit the game for good last night, I felt like I was in a slump with Ragna and didn't know how I should improve. I just decided that I should take a break from ranked,just play with friends,do some more challenges, play more of the story mode and go back to practice mode where I feel that I have most fun with BBCS.

EDIT: I can take a loss(If the opponent is skilled and very smart I never mind losing to them, actually I praise those types of players), but losing to bullshit makes me extremely frustrated and makes me play very very aggressively, as in doing very risky things with Ragna like super deep Inferno Dividers as anti-airs and doing 5D (DC) on block and constantly teching out of the air and on the ground just to get on my feet and rush straight at the opponent. I really do lose my cool and reasoning, part of the reason why undeserving people continue to get these wins off of me...:(

I'll practice my Hakumen with you :3,same thing's been happening to me,cookie. I lost 5 times in a row to a bunch of people who mashed their way to victory and I almost decided to quit the game for good last night, I felt like I was in a slump with Ragna and didn't know how I should improve. I just decided that I should take a break from ranked,just play with friends,do some more challenges, play more of the story mode and go back to practice mode where I feel that I have most fun with BBCS.

EDIT: I can take a loss(If the opponent is skilled and very smart I never mind losing to them, actually I praise those types of players), but losing to bullshit makes me extremely frustrated and makes me play very very aggressively, as in doing very risky things with Ragna like super deep Inferno Dividers as anti-airs and doing 5D (DC) on block and constantly teching out of the air and on the ground just to get on my feet and rush straight at the opponent. I really do lose my cool and reasoning, part of the reason why undeserving people continue to get these wins off of me...:(

I really enjoy this game (I like the story and how everything is coming together) but online is a real joke. I fought a god awful Hazama player that was lv. 14 with lag and used beginner mode. Granted I managed to beat him but I sent him a message asking him why in the world would he use beginner mode and actually start learning the game instead.

Gave me the whole stupid nonsense of he knew what he was doing and would have beaten me without it.

Sure. :kitty:

But I left him alone and went my way.

But yeah, I'll practice with you. That's what I need to do to get out of this losing streak.

At least I made lv. 24 last night. :yaaay:

It wouldn't matter how many losing streaks I have, I still wouldn't care. Sure, I'd feel bad about making such obvious mistakes or trying to read my opponent (when it doesn't work for shit), but I doubt I can get any better than I already am. I don't know if I should deny that I can't get any better. I've been playing fighting games online through the sheer fact that I know I'll lose to someone who's obviously beyond my level. I mean, if I fight a pro-level Ragna, it makes me wanna drop controller while he kicks my ass, especially Litchi. lol I dunno...maybe I do need something to get over this.

I almost get a 3-5 losing streak every single day in Ranked Match recently and usually raise 2-3 levels at a time. It doesn't sound to bad for me. I haven't played against every character using Tsubaki. In fact, so few people main Tsubaki, like she's a mid-tier character for mid-tier players. Of course, that would be a very stupid reason.

I've been loseing a lot lately, against opponents I would run through in ct. I started to realize i was just letting my character win the matches for me and that I really had no skill in this game at all. I tried to work through it and really get good but it just turned out i would just spam out curses more than usual and i would always make the same mistakes without fixing anything.

I planned to hang out with my friend yesterday (He's on here, firekid2) and before i left i slammed head first right back into my loseing streak. 20 matches in a row lost, even more won by the skin of my teeth. I freaked out but i whent over to play anyway and it wasn't any better. He devastated me and showed me just how terrible i was. I couldn't block, I recovered like a scrub, i got mixed up even though i memorized his attack string to the hit. nothing I couldn't do anything until the lucky curse hit only to be blocked and struggle to mix him up and end up getting 5 hits out of a matchs worth of effort. None of my subs could do any better. my hazama's garbage, my mu's terrible, and all of the other characters are either too complex or I have no interest for. no matter how hard I tried he took me out like i was nothing which told me either he was better than either of us thought or I really was riding on my character's broken design the whole time...

I've never been very mentaly stable especially when it came to loseing. I've either always sucked at something or been completely average no matter how hard I try, and with a game like this where it's either go big or go home...I don't think I stand a chance. It might sound like i'm giveing up without even trying...and I might be, but I don't know what I'm missing or how to get better.

I think I'll just wait for valk...and if i can't turn it around after that...I'm done.

I've been loseing a lot lately, against opponents I would run through in ct. I started to realize i was just letting my character win the matches for me and that I really had no skill in this game at all. I tried to work through it and really get good but it just turned out i would just spam out curses more than usual and i would always make the same mistakes without fixing anything.

I planned to hang out with my friend yesterday (He's on here, firekid2) and before i left i slammed head first right back into my loseing streak. 20 matches in a row lost, even more won by the skin of my teeth. I freaked out but i whent over to play anyway and it wasn't any better. He devastated me and showed me just how terrible i was. I couldn't block, I recovered like a scrub, i got mixed up even though i memorized his attack string to the hit. nothing I couldn't do anything until the lucky curse hit only to be blocked and struggle to mix him up and end up getting 5 hits out of a matchs worth of effort. None of my subs could do any better. my hazama's garbage, my mu's terrible, and all of the other characters are either too complex or I have no interest for. no matter how hard I tried he took me out like i was nothing which told me either he was better than either of us thought or I really was riding on my character's broken design the whole time...

I've never been very mentaly stable especially when it came to loseing. I've either always sucked at something or been completely average no matter how hard I try, and with a game like this where it's either go big or go home...I don't think I stand a chance. It might sound like i'm giveing up without even trying...and I might be, but I don't know what I'm missing or how to get better.

I think I'll just wait for valk...and if i can't turn it around after that...I'm done.

Don't give up. I may get frustrated as well but I'm not backing down. That's the ultimate defeat, if you back down and give up.

Don't give up. I may get frustrated as well but I'm not backing down. That's the ultimate defeat, if you back down and give up.

Such is my quote --"You're not a loser, you're just not a quitter."

(Un)fortunately my Live has run out (check the sig please!) which has forcefully stopped the losing streak I was on for a couple days. I'm rekying too much on CT techbiques that simply arent valid anymore. The Hazama army has been screwing with me as well. I know to block low against them as they all only know how to do his BnB yet my brain kept telling me "nah, fuck that just try and counter!"... Everytime...

(Un)fortunately my Live has run out (check the sig please!) which has forcefully stopped the losing streak I was on for a couple days. I'm rekying too much on CT techbiques that simply arent valid anymore. The Hazama army has been screwing with me as well. I know to block low against them as they all only know how to do his BnB yet my brain kept telling me "nah, fuck that just try and counter!"... Everytime...

This. I'm learning Lambda little by little but I still play her like CT Nu at times. Must...break away from it...now. :gonk:

Got on a reasonably bad losing streak today that made me rage hard. Rage quit for the first time today (ever, in any game) in a match against a high-level Ragna, who was about to get a double perfect on me.

I felt really bad: I apparently just suck against Ragna/Tager and automatch would give me nothing but Ragna/Tager players today. On top of all that, I am getting frustrated that so many rank 25ish players are beating me/giving me super close games. I really don't feel like I deserve the rank 40 I have now, and that just makes me feel worse when I lose to people way lower then me.

Got on a reasonably bad losing streak today that made me rage hard. Rage quit for the first time today (ever, in any game) in a match against a high-level Ragna, who was about to get a double perfect on me.

I felt really bad: I apparently just suck against Ragna/Tager and automatch would give me nothing but Ragna/Tager players today. On top of all that, I am getting frustrated that so many rank 25ish players are beating me/giving me super close games. I really don't feel like I deserve the rank 40 I have now, and that just makes me feel worse when I lose to people way lower then me.

Damn man, I know how you feel all too well. I play Lambda and I have to struggle just to learn to play against Tager again. I have trouble with Ragna all over again and Hazamas give me trouble. It really sucks when you're a high level and you get destroyed by lower levels.

Just take a break when you're getting frustrated like that. I tend to do that before I break my controller or break my new T.V (Wanna know something? I was so angry during a CT match that I threw my controller at the screen of my last T.V and broke it. .__.). It's not worth it. I usually play arcade or try story mode to relieve the stress and play with characters I'm not too good with...(Like my purple throw Tager. >_>)

Just remember that rank level doesn't (nor should) prove how good you are, it's your process of learning. If you've gone as far as 50/60, you've indeed gotten better. So yeah, take a break from CS and play something else before you become another AXG (Angry Xbox Guy...hehe). :v:

I used to be this way back in CT, I'd lose all the time and it really hurt my ratio. I got tired of it so I eventually just went into training mode for several hours and embedded all those combos I saw other Noels using into my muscle memory, as well as making a couple of my own. I didn't lose very much after that.

It really helped alot and I'm still doing decent in the sequel now.

It probably wouldn't be nearly as bad if people didn't purposefully disconnect on me quite often. 1/8 games I win, some guy will disconnect to spite me even if it was a close match. While I really shouldn't care about my win ratio that much, it annoys me that I can stomach being hit by Astral Finishes, being perfected, etc, but some guy I beat in a close match just disconnects to deny me the win, especially when I set the auto match to look for players who have better connection/less disconnects.

It doesn't help that I can't deny matches without disconnecting entirely, they really need to patch in a "don't want!" button back into ranked match.

This. I'm learning Lambda little by little but I still play her like CT Nu at times. Must...break away from it...now. :gonk:

u also try to do 5DD->4DD->236D? god that has gotten me kicked so bad

u also try to do 5DD->4DD->236D? god that has gotten me kicked so bad

I just try to learn her new combos and come up with my own style as well. :eng101:

I just don't want to be an arrow spamming Lambda. ._.

Don't feel bad. I'm still stuck in the Nu mentality at times too, and stupidly try to do 5DD -> 4DD -> 236D on occasion too...as soon as I do I'm like "Oh wait..." then eat serious punishment lol. xD

Its just like real life. If you fail 4 classes,do you just drop out? I mean yah its a game but for me I always feel like oh i gotta do this and that. Still bad at BB but I always have fun losing and say "oh i couldve done that" and try to picture those scenarios. So like in life you just gotta realize what your doing wrong i guess and same with this (just picture what they did to make it tough on you and work on that)

all I can say is lol Now im just a wee bit better than I was in the 1st week and thats progress lol,sooo even if tis little step just be glad,losing streak ahh i had one w/crazy hat then I ended up winning em back and haha i dont even have a main main too yet cuz there all good I wanna try everyone

but yah games are just games but sometimes they teach you too to just kinda move on and persevere in a sense