Sign in to follow this  
Drill

The Losing Streak Mentality

Normally, I dont give a damn about losing, but for some reason, today of all days, I just ragequit after losing 8 in a row.

I guess I'll just stop playing for a few hours.

Normally, I dont give a damn about losing, but for some reason, today of all days, I just ragequit after losing 8 in a row.

I guess I'll just stop playing for a few hours.

I'm so sick and fucking tired of people getting bullshit purple throws and purple combos. I was so angry today that I deleted my practice account. Starting a new one once I calm down.

CS online is the shittiest thing I have ever touched in a long time.

and I still will play it.

it feels like something visceral lubbed up with motor oil.

it doesn't help that every player is a masher that eats 360 for free.

surprisingly I only lost 3 times in rank, and they all were bang players.

Purple throws cant's be teched. Really, i've waited to tech one many times, and it was throw reject before l even did anything.

Losing in this game hurts... l'm about to go back to CT will my loli till the patch.

Yeah, purple throws seem much harder to reject in CS then CT for some reason, maybe its the lag?

I swear I have rejected more green then purple throws in CS.

Losing is a natural part of the game. People who havent lost havent fought strong enough opponents yet. I didnt lose for my first 65 games on ranked. Then I fought a proper opponent who could probably go 50/50 with me in a room again and again and kinda decimated his/my perfect record.

I suppose you can lose to two things, you can lose to a genuinely good player who managed to outplay you on all accounts, or you can lose to something incredibly stupid, like a tager mashing out 720s two times when you dropped a combo >_>

On both accounts theyre kinda your fault and there is something to kinda learn, whether it be your adaptability (yes, trying to get a read on how often an opponent will dp is amazing), your approach to a specific matchup, or your general skill level with your character. It sucks that the ranked format is only best of 3 rounds because for some people adapting to an opponents style of play takes that long. Losing should not inspire rage but rather facilitate an urge to learn / get better.

My greatest pet peeve in blazblue is a good player... WHO WONT FIGHT OTHER GOOD PLAYERS because they're so averse to losing. Don't be that, and fight those who give you challenges while approaching your mistakes rationally and you'll be a great fighter.

On both accounts theyre kinda your fault and there is something to kinda learn, whether it be your adaptability (yes, trying to get a read on how often an opponent will dp is amazing), your approach to a specific matchup, or your general skill level with your character. It sucks that the ranked format is only best of 3 rounds because for some people adapting to an opponents style of play takes that long. Losing should not inspire rage but rather facilitate an urge to learn / get better.

My greatest pet peeve in blazblue is a good player... WHO WONT FIGHT OTHER GOOD PLAYERS because they're so averse to losing. Don't be that, and fight those who give you challenges while approaching your mistakes rationally and you'll be a great fighter.

Dood, that isn't something we don't know. And you make it sound a bit "too" certain.

Indeed it is, but when I said it was too "certain," it's as if it can make everyone a good player. Losing is a means to learn, but players can lose their enjoyment if they lose a bit too much, especially against certain match-ups. Hell, I'll lose against Carls and Litchis (or in CS, obviously good Ragnas) for the rest of my life, but that don't stop me from playing.....cuz I've lost too many times to even care. Some people would come here to relieve stress because they've gotten as good as they can get, yet they still lose.

I swear I have rejected more green then purple throws in CS.

this x 1million.

shit is backwards, lol

It takes me a while before being able to join a PLAYER match, CS online really is shitty. I've played with an online friend who I used to beat all the time on BBCT and he kicked my ass 4 times out of 6. I played like crap thanks to the lag and I won like a scrub thanks to the lag. Really, it just takes the whole fun out of it.

Anyway, on topic...

I usually don't really mind losing but when I can see a pattern and just can't, for the love of blazblue, counter it thanks to bad BB skills, it does piss me off. I like learning and overcoming stuff but some scrubs just have it easy with Ragna, Litchi and Bang. I usually just try to stay as relaxed as possible as being stressed just frustrates me even more and think of it as a puzzle. "He beat me, why?

"He successfully hit me, why?"

"I won, how?"

I don't mind losing too much and I know when someone is better than me, but i just cant handle it when i lose because i accidentally hit the turbo button on my arcade stick and costs me the match. when i do get stressed though, i just take a break and come back after an hour or two rage free.

I have no problem with losing to people who are better than me online

but when I get a 0 bar tager who just churns fucking butter for the entire match and gets a free win I get pissed

I'm searching for 3 bars and I get a fucking 0 bar which I cannot backout of or risk a red name

When I first started this game, I vowed to myself two things

1) To get better

2) Not go give it up no matter how much I might suck

It is the very first "real" fighting game I have gotten into, and although it took until CS, I really love it. I have no problems with getting beaten to a bloody pulp online, though sometimes I feel embarrassed not for myself but for the person who owned be for the bloody scrub I'm sure I am. I guess I should play online more, though since I live in Germany I get mostly Zero-Bar Connections, unfortunately.

When I'm losing consistently in matches and can't seem to pull out a win, I always take the time to observe a few things.

What did the opponent abuse that I was not respecting?

Did I do anything that was very unsafe/punishable?

What was the opponent doing that I was not correctly punishing?

Was I able to stay calm?

Was my execution on point?

Did I use my character to the best of their abilities?

I play Tager and I have had my fair share of consistent loses in Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift. Over the time I've played these games, I've focused my gameplay on improving in these aspects. There is always room to improve, after all. When you're winning, make sure to keep the opponent's moveset in mind. If you do, you will be able to avoid DPs, grabs, counters, distortions, etc. A bad habit I used to have and sometimes still do is overdoing a win. I'm a big user of 720 but lately I've noticed how much a waste this can be. Instead of going for a big finish, just make sure that you do what it takes to win, as long as it won't cost you defeat if you screw up. It's okay to be flashy and unexpected sometimes, but don't do it so often that you'll find yourself losing.

Learning to adapt quickly and adjust yourself to common situations is important. For example, if you're playing a Ragna, some of them will often jump cancel after a blocked 3C to continue pressure. If I don't punish this the first time, I keep it in mind throughout the match, so I can react accordingly next time. More importantly, it's crucial to learn to input your commands correctly. If you're dropping combos, reversals and anti-air attempts, you're going to find yourself in a lot of trouble. Practice often to ensure that when you want a move to come out, it will undoubtedly happen. That when you need that 4k fatal, you perform it flawlessly.

Lastly, if you become frustrated during gameplay, there's nothing wrong with taking a break. Five minutes, even, just to clear your mind. Playing a character to their utmost potential is difficult, but there's no way you'll be able to do better than before with clouded judgement. Getting impatient with Tager and haphazardly trying to rush down, overusing DPs with Ragna, and incorrectly guessing with Hakumen's counters are just some behaviors of a frustrated player. I have been a victim to this and lost numerous matches against a great friend who plays Rachel, simply because I could not bring myself to calm down and think rationally, before he talked to me and helped me to realize my own errors. If you're able to stay calm, you'll be able to avoid making mistakes that opponents will take full advantage of and you can properly play to your own strengths to exploit their weaknesses.

Ever since I took all of this and more into account, it has been a tremendous help to my gameplay and I've seen more success in CS than I did before.